Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

I was wondering how graphic device detection/injection is done in Clover. For example, I have a Firepro W7100 8GB PCI-E card that is detected as a Radeon 4xxx (don't remember exactly) by clover based on the device/vendor ID. It didn't work at all, but I patched AMDRadeonX4000.kext to add my deviceID and modified a framebuffer for the port information described in another guide. I add the FakeID (although I don't have to, since it is correctly detecting the device ID) and also specify the modded frambuffer in the Graphics settings in Clover. By doing this, I can get into the desktop and have at least one display working, but with flickering and poor performance. However, Clover still incorrectly detects my video card no matter what settings I put, and therefore Mac 10.11 also gets the wrong information (shown as Radeon 7MB).

Where is the database that Clover uses to populate the card information based on the device ID? How is it done, and how can I change it so that it picks up the information for my card? I'm determined to make this card work fully in OS X, and I'm getting there...

device ID is 692b, vendor 1002

Just let me know.

Committed to 3318.

I just performed the 10.11.2 beta update and I noticed one line in log during caches rebuilt :

kxld[com.apple.driver.pmtelemetry]: 	com_apple_driver_pm_pch_reporter::com_apple_driver_pm_pch_reporter()

Is it new or did I miss it previously ?

It is not. They always collected data for third party kext usage...

It is not. They always collected data for third party kext usage...

It's a genuine Apple kext ... unmodified ...

It was there previously and has been modified in 10.11.2 beta 1

For information I need KernelPM & Asus patches as my MSR 0xE2 is locked.

It's a genuine Apple kext ... unmodified ...

It was there previously and has been modified in 10.11.2 beta 1

For information I need KernelPM & Asus patches as my MSR 0xE2 is locked.

I get some Console spam about that kext in this 10.11.2 build:

10/29/15 22:02:00.000 kernel[0]: kxld[com.apple.driver.pmtelemetry]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:

10/29/15 22:02:00.000 kernel[0]: kxld[com.apple.driver.pmtelemetry]: __ZN32com_apple_driver_pm_pch_reporterC1Ev

10/29/15 22:02:00.000 kernel[0]: Can't load kext com.apple.driver.pmtelemetry - link failed.

10/29/15 22:02:00.000 kernel[0]: Failed to load executable for kext com.apple.driver.pmtelemetry.

10/29/15 22:02:00.000 kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.pmtelemetry failed to load (0xdc008016).

10/29/15 22:02:00.000 kernel[0]: Failed to load kext com.apple.driver.pmtelemetry (error 0xdc008016).

10/29/15 22:02:00.532 com.apple.kextd[49]: Failed to load /System/Library/Extensions/pmtelemetry.kext - (libkern/kext) link error.

10/29/15 22:02:00.533 com.apple.kextd[49]: Load com.apple.driver.pmtelemetry failed; removing personalities from kernel.

Though MSR 0xE2 is unlocked for me and no need for KernelPM patch.

I have a strange problem with Clover that only seems to appear after I have updated the Nvidia web drivers.

Clover fails to load any kexts in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/

Specifically FakeSMC.kext isn't loaded and then the system hangs after "Waiting for DSMOS...".  It will boot in single user, command prompt, but once you run fsck, remount / and then exit it hangs at the same point.

The issue seems to be resolved when I boot into Windows and then back into OS X (booting into Linux doesn't fix it).  I don't even have to do anything in Windows, just boot to login and then re-boot.

I'm not using any DSDT and have Clover drop CpuPm from SSDT.  SMBIOS is iMac14,2

It has happened since r31xx and happened most recently with r3292.

Any pointers on how to get more debugging information if this happens again?  Is it possible to get bdmesg information from a single user, command prompt boot?

What does your folder structure look like? Clover only will load kexts from EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other & EFI/CLOVER/kexts/<OS version>, not EFI/CLOVER/kexts.

<deleted irrelevant stuff>

So, it turns out that somewhere along the line I managed to install Clover to the hard drive El Capitan was installed on (HD#2) (in /EFI/CLOVER on the root volume).  This installation didn't have a config.plist or any kexts.  It seems that occasionally when booting from the primary hard drive (HD#1) Clover would start fine, use config.plist from (HD#1)/EFI/CLOVER but when it came to boot El Cap from HD#2 it was looking in (HD#2)/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/...  and didn't find any.

That was the cause of my seemingly random failure to inject any kexts.  I'm not sure why it worked sometimes and other times it didn't.

I've now checked all hard drives for EFI folders and partitions and made sure that the only one being used is from HD#1.  The system now boots OS X and injects kexts every time.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

I get some Console spam about that kext in this 10.11.2 build:

10/29/15 22:02:00.000 kernel[0]: kxld[com.apple.driver.pmtelemetry]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:

10/29/15 22:02:00.000 kernel[0]: kxld[com.apple.driver.pmtelemetry]: __ZN32com_apple_driver_pm_pch_reporterC1Ev

10/29/15 22:02:00.000 kernel[0]: Can't load kext com.apple.driver.pmtelemetry - link failed.

10/29/15 22:02:00.000 kernel[0]: Failed to load executable for kext com.apple.driver.pmtelemetry.

10/29/15 22:02:00.000 kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.pmtelemetry failed to load (0xdc008016).

10/29/15 22:02:00.000 kernel[0]: Failed to load kext com.apple.driver.pmtelemetry (error 0xdc008016).

10/29/15 22:02:00.532 com.apple.kextd[49]: Failed to load /System/Library/Extensions/pmtelemetry.kext - (libkern/kext) link error.

10/29/15 22:02:00.533 com.apple.kextd[49]: Load com.apple.driver.pmtelemetry failed; removing personalities from kernel.

Got exactly the same message, when booting a fresh installed 10.11.2 beta El Capitan. System seems to be working, but never had this message b4.

Message comes right after loading my graphics-injection of AMD Radeon R9 380 - using CLOVER 3320

What for is this kext "pmtelemetry.kext" good for?

one of my hacks wont play flash at all... certainly installed and passes the animation test on adobe...

Youtube, Iplayer, Instagram video wont work...

are there any settings on Clover Config that would directly affect flash video playback... only thing i can think of...

Its a GT 620 with graphic injected using Clover... ver 3270 and clean install of 10.11.1....

one of my hacks wont play flash at all... certainly installed and passes the animation test on adobe...

are there any settings on Clover Config that would directly affect flash video playback... only thing i can think of...

Its a GT 620 with graphic injected using Clover... ver 3270 and clean install of 10.11.1....

Not sure how much (if any) is related to Clover. But still, which browser are you having these issues with? And what are the issues?

Also, I guess you already know that but, Adobe Flash Player has two versions (NPAPI & PPAPI). Make sure you got the one you need for the browser you use. Also, if you're on a Beta version of OS X, that might affect video playback, as well.

I don't use Flash, at all. I don't really need it. HTML5 gets the job done just fine for me.

Also, if you're using Chrome, I think you don't need Flash anyway since that one comes with some sort of Flash Player built in (if I remember correctly).

It is most likely, that your browser blocks the aged flash version, because of security reasons...

• Like 1

Not sure how much (if any) is related to Clover. But still, which browser are you having these issues with? And what are the issues?

Also, I guess you already know that but, Adobe Flash Player has two versions (NPAPI & PPAPI). Make sure you got the one you need for the browser you use. Also, if you're on a Beta version of OS X, that might affect video playback, as well.

I don't use Flash, at all. I don't really need it. HTML5 gets the job done just fine for me.

Also, if you're using Chrome, I think you don't need Flash anyway since that one comes with some sort of Flash Player built in (if I remember correctly).

all three browsers... so why doesnt html 5 work for me on the z77 build???

edit  - it does on my macbook air.... just removed flash and i can still watch youtube and instagram...

It is most likely, that your browser blocks the aged flash version, because of security reasons...

this is my thread on here...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/309091-flash-player-not-working-on-el-capitan/

Just let me know.

Committed to 3318.

Took me a while to get Clover compiled, but eventually got it and installed. Clover now correctly recognizes the FirePro on bootup. El Cap just refuses to work (black screen) after adding my ID to the correct kexts... installed Yosemite and it works great. Minor flicker when first loading the desktop, but then no issues, really. However, About This Mac and System Report show the graphics card as an "AMD R9 xxx". What is the source of this info? I'd rather change a kext somewhere as opposed to editing OS screens, as described here: 

Thanks again for the great support!

Edited by Micky1979
link to tonymac removed