Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

What are the requirements for making new fonts for Clover? Can someone point me into the right direction? I have a copy of TinyFont & bmGlyph to generate Bitmap (BM) Fonts. I want to make a couple of new fonts for my Clover Theme.

Thanks!

-Mrengles

Hi mrengles.

All I can tell you is how I went about it, because at the time I didn't know of (or maybe I was too lazy to look for) any software out there to do it for me. I see you've already posted a font file so I guess this isn't completely alien to you.

Anyway, I created my files using Adobe Illustrator. I searched for some monospaced typefaces and positioned the characters as per the original files in Clover (here and for the cyrillic version, here), then exported the files to .png without using anti-aliasing. That's important as using anti-aliasing causes a nasty halo around the characters when highlighted with the selection colour as set in the refit.conf. Maybe, with careful crafting, an anti-alised colour could be used to match the selection colour and it would work but I never tried that.

If you would like me to post one of my Illustrator files then just ask, otherwise, if you find a better way then let me know?

Hope that helps.

@blackosx

This subject is completely alien to me. I ripped off slice and renamed one of his already made fonts. I didn't create from scratch like I'm now wanting to do.

Would you mind posting you illustrator file, and detail any other steps you took.

The two applications I have do most if not all of the work for you, but I still need to select the correct option like spacing, size, kerning, stroke... The list goes on. Maybe I should take a screenshot and post an AppStore link?

Do the characters have to be in any specific layout or can they be generated by the application for example by height, spacing, character type. Period.

I think I have way to many question an need to do allot more homework. What I need is to read up on the standard itself.

Thanks

-Mrengles

@Blackosx

Here are the screenshots of the two applications I mentioned in the post above...

=)

Here's one of my folders. This one is for the PTMono font.

The folder contains:

- BoW_PTMono_10W.png (The final font file - reversed colour).

- PTMono folder (The extracted font files I originally downloaded).

- PTMono.zip (The original font archive I downloaded).

- URL's folder (Contains the web location of where I found the font).

- WoB_PTMono_10W.ai (My master Illustrator file - Saved in CS v6)

- WoB_PTMono_10W.png (The final font file).

The Illustrator file is made up of a few layers.

- I have a layer for each row of individual characters. I've done it this way because I it allows me to change the font and then manually re-position each character to fit the grid.

- There's a layer for a black background, guides, and importantly a placed image showing what character goes where (I think this was rEFIt's original print-cyr.png).

From Illustrator, I selected File -> Export -> PNG.

Leave the resolution at 72dpi and turn Anti-aliasing off.

I then loaded the .png file in to Photoshop and changed the canvas size (selecting left middle) to a width of 176px (from 178px).

To answer your questions:

- Yes, the characters have to be in a specific layout (See rEFIT's print.png)

- They have to be equal width and height (or at least fit in a grid of equal spacing).

Of the screenshot's of the app's you posted, I haven't tried either so I can't give fair comment. But looking at the images, the bmGlyph app shot looks overly complicated, and the TinyFont app looks promising however the particular font shows is not monospaced and therefore doesn't fit a grid.

If I get a chance I may try them out. I'm always looking for an easier way to accomplish these types of things and if they do work then great..

PTMono.zip

• Like 1

After some tries I saw that apparently fstab isn't working to auto mount the EFI partition as I proposed for you before...

There is a very simple way to automount EFI partition at login.

Correct /etc/rc.local with two new lines at bottom

The whole file will be

#!/bin/bash
cat boot.log >boot.lo1
echo " " >> boot.lo1
date "+DATE: %Y-%m-%d TIME: %H:%M:%S%n" >> boot.lo1
ioreg -lw0 -pIODeviceTree | grep boot-log > ./log.txt
logdump=$(cat ./log.txt)
modified1=${logdump#*'boot-log'}
modified2=${modified1#*'<'}
modified3=${modified2%%'>'*}
echo $modified3 > ./boot-log.txt
xxd -r -p ./boot-log.txt >> boot.lo1
rm log.txt
rm boot-log.txt
tail -n 1000 boot.lo1 >boot.log
rm boot.lo1
mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount_msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI

Enjoy!

• Like 1

There is a very simple way to automount EFI partition at login.

Correct /etc/rc.local with two new lines at bottom

The whole file will be

#!/bin/bash
cat boot.log >boot.lo1
echo " " >> boot.lo1
date "+DATE: %Y-%m-%d TIME: %H:%M:%S%n" >> boot.lo1
ioreg -lw0 -pIODeviceTree | grep boot-log > ./log.txt
logdump=$(cat ./log.txt)
modified1=${logdump#*'boot-log'}
modified2=${modified1#*'<'}
modified3=${modified2%%'>'*}
echo $modified3 > ./boot-log.txt
xxd -r -p ./boot-log.txt >> boot.lo1
rm log.txt
rm boot-log.txt
tail -n 1000 boot.lo1 >boot.log
rm boot.lo1
mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount_msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI

Enjoy!

Thanks for the tip Slice, but I believe that this may not work when we have more

than one HDD on the machine like me that have four...

I didn't find any way to mount a volume by using UUID if not using fstab but I don't

know why, I can mount any volume less EFI on any disk with fstab...

Thanks for the tip Slice, but I believe that this may not work when we have more

I didn't find any way to mount a volume by using UUID if not using fstab but I don't

Your boot disk will always be /dev/disk0

When I boot I have a long delay before it displays "mac swapon success" and then it continues to boot. I read that I could use Netkos's pc-efi to fix it. But I boot with UEFI, will it still work? How can I fix the delay?

I am having trouble getting speedstep to work. I can get minimum and maximum pstates but nothing in between. I have already tried many things. I created patched SSDT and have also tried injecting c and p states through the bootloader. I have not had any success at all. Many people write to check the BIOS but the settings in my laptops BIOS are very limited and there isn't a custom BIOS to flash.

I am having trouble getting speedstep to work. I can get minimum and maximum pstates but nothing in between. I have already tried many things. I created patched SSDT and have also tried injecting c and p states through the bootloader. I have not had any success at all. Many people write to check the BIOS but the settings in my laptops BIOS are very limited and there isn't a custom BIOS to flash.

When using custom SSDT you have DropOEMSSDT to No and with GenerateP/CStates DropOEMSSDT to Yes right???

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282787-clover-v2/#entry1853597

When using custom SSDT you have DropOEMSSDT to No and with GenerateP/CStates DropOEMSSDT to Yes right???

http://www.insanelym...2/#entry1853597

Yes when I use a custom SSDT I drop the OEM SSDT. I have tried all of the boot options in different ways with no success.

I should also note that although I modified the IOPlatform kext to enable sleep, I still experience sleep problems sometimes. If I try to sleep right after booting it works fine. But if I try after a while with a few programs open it doesn't go to sleep. The screen turns off with everything else on and I can't wake it again.

@Slice

"KextsToPatch" don't work for me.

I followed the instruction in here:

http://www.insanelym...2/#entry1853204

Then Applied the Trim code provided in the post, but it never have worked.

I'm wondering if newer Clover had removed this feature?

However, "KernelAndKextPatches" always works pretty well.

Problem solved.

I didn't know KextsToPatch is under KernelAndKextPatches.

Maybe you could mention it in the instruction. :wink2:

By the way, I found out that OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi in EFI boot may cause wake failure after sleep. I don't have this sleep problem in Bios boot of Clover.

Hope this will be fixed in the future...

mkdir /Volumes/EFI0
mount_msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI0
mkdir /Volumes/EFI1
mount_msdos /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/EFI1
mkdir /Volumes/EFI2
mount_msdos /dev/disk2s1 /Volumes/EFI2
mkdir /Volumes/EFI3
mount_msdos /dev/disk3s1 /Volumes/EFI3
mkdir /Volumes/EFI4
mount_msdos /dev/disk4s1 /Volumes/EFI4

• Like 1

:|

@Slice ...what is this error

Nov 14 12:25:24 Mac-Pro-di-carmine kernel[0]: NTFS-fs error (device /dev/disk1s1, pid 39): ntfs_restart_page_header_is_valid(): $LogFile version 2.0 is not supported. (This driver supports version 1.1 only.)

Nov 14 12:25:24 Mac-Pro-di-carmine kernel[0]: NTFS-fs error (device /dev/disk1s1, pid 39): ntfs_restart_page_header_is_valid(): $LogFile version 2.0 is not supported. (This driver supports version 1.1 only.)DSMOS has arrived

Nov 14 12:25:24 Mac-Pro-di-carmine kernel[0]: NTFS-fs error (device /dev/disk1s1, pid 39): ntfs_logfile_check(): Did not find any restart pages in $LogFile and it was not empty.

Nov 14 12:25:24 Mac-Pro-di-carmine kernel[0]: NTFS-fs warning (device /dev/disk1s1, pid 39): ntfs_system_inodes_get(): $LogFile is not clean. Will not be able to remount read-write. Mount in Windows.

Nov 14 12:25:24 Mac-Pro-di-carmine kernel[0]: NTFS-fs warning (device /dev/disk1s1, pid 39): ntfs_system_inodes_get(): Windows is hibernated. Will not be able to remount read-write. Run chkdsk.

mkdir /Volumes/EFI0
mount_msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI0
mkdir /Volumes/EFI1
mount_msdos /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/EFI1
mkdir /Volumes/EFI2
mount_msdos /dev/disk2s1 /Volumes/EFI2
mkdir /Volumes/EFI3
mount_msdos /dev/disk3s1 /Volumes/EFI3
mkdir /Volumes/EFI4
mount_msdos /dev/disk4s1 /Volumes/EFI4

This way completely works!

strong>ression.gif

@Slice ...what is this error

Nov 14 12:25:24 Mac-Pro-di-carmine kernel[0]: NTFS-fs error (device /dev/disk1s1, pid 39): ntfs_restart_page_header_is_valid(): $LogFile version 2.0 is not supported. (This driver supports version 1.1 only.)

Nov 14 12:25:24 Mac-Pro-di-carmine kernel[0]: NTFS-fs error (device /dev/disk1s1, pid 39): ntfs_restart_page_header_is_valid(): $LogFile version 2.0 is not supported. (This driver supports version 1.1 only.)DSMOS has arrived

Nov 14 12:25:24 Mac-Pro-di-carmine kernel[0]: NTFS-fs error (device /dev/disk1s1, pid 39): ntfs_logfile_check(): Did not find any restart pages in $LogFile and it was not empty.

Nov 14 12:25:24 Mac-Pro-di-carmine kernel[0]: NTFS-fs warning (device /dev/disk1s1, pid 39): ntfs_system_inodes_get(): $LogFile is not clean. Will not be able to remount read-write. Mount in Windows.

Nov 14 12:25:24 Mac-Pro-di-carmine kernel[0]: NTFS-fs warning (device /dev/disk1s1, pid 39): ntfs_system_inodes_get(): Windows is hibernated. Will not be able to remount read-write. Run chkdsk.

This is a problem of NTFS support in OSX so ask Apple. I don't know.

It asks you to boot Windows and run chkdsk.

@Slice

The new release of Clover v2 r857 works great here on my P8Z77-M Pro with an i7-3770K. The new video driver is picking up 6 different video modes, one of them being 1920x1080 for the boot menu. (Shown in the logs) I can set the output to 1920x1080 with the page up/down keys too! =)

How can I set the main menu to display at this mode by default?

Thanks,

-Mrengles

PS. Also I'm getting an Aptio error when booting verbose (the boot process keeps moving right along though and gets me to 10.8.2 without any problems), but it does not show in any of the logs, do I not need this driver? My motherboard uses the Asus Z77 UEFI Bios v1616. At the Asus UEFI BIOS utility it says the AMI version is 2.0.1.35 or something close to that...

Thanks again!

I made a really nice font for Clover... Monaco variant, ant- aliased, white text with both black and gray backgrounds...

http://organicdata.n...sExtraFonts.zip

Enjoy!

Are you sure your aliased fonts will be looked OK?

@Slice

This patch is for the problem "Still waiting for root device" in IOAHCIBlockStorage 2.3.1 from Build 12C3006:

http://www.insanelym...20#entry1866741

Maybe you could add it in the revision. :)

Already here