• Please log in to reply
932 replies to this topic

romturk

romturk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Did you update the DSDT that has the nvidia turned off as well?

How well Nvidia off DSDT behave ? i installed ML with latest DSDT with fn brightness fix and confirm that works !

raviji

raviji

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

How well Nvidia off DSDT behave ? i installed ML with latest DSDT with fn brightness fix and confirm that works !

Are you still getting artifacts when you play videos?

romturk

romturk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Are you still getting artifacts when you play videos?

Actually i had some artifacts. than i installed an update from app store. cant remember exact name (by mistake since i just wanted to update xcode) . Than artifacts gone. Just finished installing will let you know if there are any problems. None so far.

mackyreddy

mackyreddy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:Building Operating Systems from scratch
@ JohnnyD

Yup both DSDT's are consistent, Fn brightness keys patch has been included in Nvidia Off DSDT as well.

@ Everyone

If u guys are having graphics artifacts then try to clear caches /System/Library/Caches, except for these 4 folders com.apple.bootstamps, com.apple.corestorage, com.apple.CVMS and com.apple.kext.caches delete any files present in caches folder. Then Delete any sub folders & files present in those 4 folders but do note don't delete Directories & startup sub folder in com.apple.kext.caches but delete the files inside these folders.
Now days whenever I install OS X, i make sure i delete these things and then boot in to OS X, i never had any artifacts.

gabn

gabn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Nothing different.. you have to have Clover UEFI configured as a bootloader, possibly a boot order entry added via shell 2.0 bcfg command....

Nice. I will work it out from here! Thank you for the hint. Seems to me that installing and configuring clover is of comparable difficulty as chameleon, so normally I should be able to work it out ;)

I still have issues with the FN-F2 button combo, and being not able to install the quickset in windows 8... Could this have something to do with booting from uefi? I don't think so, right? I now tried reinstalling windows 8 and installing another bios (L702X_A19_generic_Unlocked_Menus_&_updated_cpu_microcode)... Both to no avail. Am i the only one with this issue?

Was halfway downloading the micro OS X 8, but will start with the new one mackyreddy ;) Huge thanks!

webcivilian

webcivilian

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
@ mackyreddy

What is the use of DSDT off when we are going to delete all NV and Geforce kexts? Am I missing something?

JohnnyD

JohnnyD

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Computers

@ makkyreddy

What is the use of DSDT off when we are going to deleting all NV and Geforce kexts? Am I missing something?

Because even with the kexts deleted the nvidia card is still on causing extra heat and when on battery using extra power.

webcivilian

webcivilian

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Because even with the kexts deleted the nvidia card is still on causing extra heat and when on battery using extra power.

Good to know. Thanks.

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 1,212 posts
May I know the reason behind doing this?

Store (Zero, ^^^^AMW0.INF1)
Store (0xE006, ^^^^AMW0.INF2)
Store (Local0, ^^^^AMW0.INF3)
Notify (AMW0, 0xE006)
Instead of stock:

Store (0x03, ^^^^AMW0.INF0)
Store (Zero, ^^^^AMW0.INF1)
Store (0xE006, ^^^^AMW0.INF2)
Store (Local0, ^^^^AMW0.INF3)
If (LEqual (DMFG, Zero))
{
Notify (AMW0, 0xD0)
}
?

IOWMIFamily parses the output from Method called WED, which returns the array INFO

Name (INFO, Buffer (0x80) {})
            CreateWordField (INFO, Zero, INF0)
            CreateWordField (INFO, 0x02, INF1)
            CreateWordField (INFO, 0x04, INF2)
            CreateWordField (INFO, 0x06, INF3)
            CreateWordField (INFO, 0x08, INF4)
            CreateWordField (INFO, 0x0A, INF5)
            CreateWordField (INFO, 0x0C, INF6)
            CreateWordField (INFO, 0x0E, INF7)

Method (_WED, 1, NotSerialized) // _Wxx: Wake Event
{
If (LEqual (Arg0, 0xD0))
{
Return (INFO)
}

CLBY (INFO)
Store (Arg0, INFO)
Return (INFO)
}
So kext expects to read the 4th byte from this array, which is either 0x05 for brightness decrease or 0x06 for increase.

OSArray * array = OSDynamicCast(OSArray, wed);
if (NULL == array)
{
//try a buffer
OSData * data = OSDynamicCast(OSData, wed);
if ( (NULL == data) || (data->getLength() == 0))
{
IOLog("%s: Failed to cast. _WED returned wrong object %s\n", this->getName(), wed->getMetaClass()->getClassName());
return kIOReturnError;
}
const char * bytes = (const char *) data->getBytesNoCopy();
number = OSNumber::withNumber(bytes[4],32);
}
else
{
number = OSDynamicCast(OSNumber, array->getObject(4));
if (NULL == number)
{
IOLog("%s: Failed to cast. _WED returned wrong array element %s\n", this->getName(), array->getObject(4)->getMetaClass()->getClassName());
return kIOReturnError;
}
}

Brabbelbla

Brabbelbla

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
So my problem with being unable to enter setup or boot menu after failing Windows 7 and 8 installs in UEFI mode seems to have been not as personal as I thought... Although the A19 BIOS still appears to be downloadable from Dell, and the problem isn't unique for A19, first time for me was with A18.

@gabn
Currently running OS X in UEFI mode. Personally, I think the Fn+F2 and the QuickSet issues are a bit deeper than just the accelerometer. Pressing Fn+F2 in UEFI mode for me causes OS X ML, the OS X ML installer, Windows 7 and the Windows 7 installer all to hang indefinitively. BIOS mode Windows 7 works just fine, so for sure it's related to UEFI booting. Enabling/disabling wireless (Fn+F2), the accelerometer and QuickSet AFAIK all have much to do with ACPI, so maybe it's some broken ACPI functionality in UEFI. But I don't know really know, my knowledge on the last that is very limited.

@TimeWalker75a
What sleep issues did you mean to in your custom BIOS post some pages earlier? At the moment, I use stock A19 BIOS with only unlocked menus and fixed PowerManagement (thanks for that) and sleep/wake works, although the Ethernet and internal audio don't work anymore after resume. Is that fixed with the old PlatformSmm?

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 1,212 posts
Usually wake functionality is broken in later BIOS versions, but I indeed may have a DSDT-based solution for that ..possible no need to backport the specified module. What DSDT are you using ?
The audio issues is due to having EAPD on a speaker node, IOAudioFamily has to be recompiled and a custom obstraction layer patch has to be integrated to enable the external amplifier after sleep.. this is a plague for many laptop codecs. For ethernet - just use lnx2mac (not sure if L702x has same 8168 realtek chip though) - works like a charm here.

All the things you are referring to are related not to ACPI directly, but to WMI device (and it's interaction with OS->Hardware) rather. And it sure seems broken for you guys, Dell at least has bothered to fix it for my Vostro in BIOS A13.. the changelog says: "Fix the QuickSet compatibility problem on Windows 8" - this can't be just software, it was done on BIOS level. But they still screwed up because Fn+F1 doesn't work ..

Brabbelbla

Brabbelbla

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
@TimeWalker75a
Thanks for your answer

Using the default (GeForce not disabled) DSDT from the first post, by mackyreddy I suppose. Was trying to get the GeForce-disabled one to work, but was having trouble with device-properties and Clover. Got it to work in some way, but the Intel graphics got very buggy and audio didn't work anymore, so instead reverted to the default one. EDIT: got the GeForce-disabled DSDT to work, sleep works with that one too. I forgot to mention some USB issues at wake: EHCI seems to get reset (disks on it are erased and remounted) and XHCI dies totally. Still normal things?

I do use a modified IOAudioFamily (again from mackyreddy), otherwise the audio doesn't work at all. But I don't know about the abstraction layer patch, do you (or does anyone) know of any already patched IOAudioFamily?

I already have the latest (0.0.90) lnx2mac kext installed. It got Ethernet to work, which by itself is a plus, but it is somewhat shaky. If the Ethernet cable is not connected during boot, it may take 5-10 minutes for it to recognize a cable is connected, and after wake it can't re-establish the connection to the router. Should perhaps try manual IP configuration, but don't have acces to an Ethernet cable now. The L702X model indeed uses the same 8168 chip.

@mackyreddy
Are you very sure you GeForce-disabled DSDT is, apart from the part disabling the GeForce, doing the same things as the one that does not disable the GeForce? Besides the different edit date (August 23rd and November 25th, respectively) it appears to me that the HDEF parts, for instance, are quite different. New to DSDT patching though, so please forgive me if I am wrong.

EDIT: nevermind. I was using the wrong GeForce-enabled DSDT to compare. Could you tell me how you have got the device-properties string that is included in you org.chameleon.Boot.plist for the GeForce-disabled DSDT?

EDIT2: nevermind again. It works now.

Edited by Brabbelbla, 27 November 2012 - 12:04 PM.

Zpecter

Zpecter

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Could anybody share the entire bios configuration?? I still have problems with booting into Mountain Lion and I think is something related to USB config, but I can't find the solution. I need help, please. :( :blink:

webcivilian

webcivilian

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
@ Brabbelbla

Could you write a small guide how you setup enabled Clover on L702x. I'm interested in trying Clover as well but a little lost.

@ Zpecter

What problems are you facing? Could you post the issues in detail. Thanks.

Zpecter

Zpecter

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

@ Zpecter

What problems are you facing? Could you post the issues in detail. Thanks.

The problem is that it loads DSDT, SSDT and all the kexts, and then, it simply reboots. Here is a video I recorded that shows the problem:

webcivilian

webcivilian

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
@ Zpecter Can you make a clear video or that is not blurry. You can copy the log message from system.log file.

Brabbelbla

Brabbelbla

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
@Zpecter
AFAIK BIOS settings don't have to be meddled with, defaults are good (save you want to use UEFI boot and use Clover, like I wanted). I have had similar symptoms as you, but at a different moment maybe. For me the laptop rebooted when booting had quite much finished and OS X was supposed to enter the GUI. Deleting all the GeForce*.kext and NV*.kext files worked for me.

@webcivilian
Hmm, not sure if a guide would make things much clearer. Wouldn't know where to start, as most of the instructions can be found in, for instance, the Clover thread. Please first tell me where you get stuck, and I'd be happy to help you.

webcivilian

webcivilian

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
@Brabbelbla

I have a few questions:

1. What is the advantage of using Clover UEFI vs Chameleon?
2. Will it work with my current Windows 7 MBR partition? I really don't want to re-install again if I don't need to.
3. I would have to enable UEFI boot from BIOS? Would I need a new DSDT then? Which BIOS version are you on? And does it support GUID boot.
4. Do I still need to patch OSInstall MBR patch or can I format the MacHD as GUID partition and would not be needed? (I have two drives)
5. Where can I find the latest stable build? (as I have seen a few on osx86)
6. Can you give me some hints to make this easier :)

Thanks for your help.

Zpecter

Zpecter

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
This is a new video:

https://www.youtube....h?v=8qMpFtvci3M

And this is a screenshot from the last lines of code before the reboot:

Attached File  27-11-2012 23-54-46.png   622.7KB   16 downloads

@Brabbelbla

I'm using the Mountain Lion image uploaded by mackyreddy on the first post, and it doesn't have any GeForce or NV kexts. :(

Brabbelbla

Brabbelbla

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
@webcivilian
I'll try to answer the best I can.

1) Oh, gosh. Never really thought about that. From what I've seen, which is rather limited on the side of Chameleon, Clover allows for more advanced configuration, is more modern, gets developed more rapidly and is better documented. UEFI booting avoids some steps in the boot process. The firmware, which is UEFI in essence, doesn't need to launch the Compatibility Support Module (CSM) to allow booting from an MBR boot sector in BIOS/Legacy mode, and the bootloader doesn't need to then fake a (U)EFI environment to boot OS X. But for me real X-factor was that UEFI booting allows to boot from GUID Partition Table (GPT) devices, which is far more flexible than MBR.
2) It should work. We both have the luxury of two physical hard drives, and I have one in MBR style for BIOS booting Windows and one in GPT style to boot Clover/OS X. Works perfect. Although I haven't tried yet with multi-partition devices, it is possible too to boot in UEFI mode from an MBR device, then there would be no need to meddle with new partition tables at all. But that's what it's all about to me.
3) Yes, if you want to use Clover UEFI you will have to enable UEFI booting from BIOS. For that, you need a hacked BIOS, which is given some pages earlier. No need for a new DSDT. I am using A19, with modifications by myself. The point is, the BIOS itself does support GPT booting, but it is disabled as long as UEFI boot mode is not enabled, which is not possible with stock BIOS from Dell.
4) Yes, you can convert the MacHD to a GPT disk and there is no need for the MBR patch. Given that you use a hacked BIOS and enable UEFI booting
5) I am using this one.
6) Tired now, if you still want to go through with this I will give directions, but want to sleep first :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy