macOS Ventura on Dell XPS 17 L702x Optimus

mackyreddy

955 posts in this topic

Hello, I have some problems with the keyboard. I have the 'Windows' key, which should work as 'Command', but actually is working as 'ALT', and the 'ALT' key is working as 'Command', how can I change their behaviour??

And I also have another problem. One of my keys is not working or detected. First, I have the QWERTY keyboard layout, and the key on the left of the '1' key where it should be the 'º' and 'ª' keys, I have '<' and '>' keys, and the key on the left of my 'z' where it's supposed to be the '<' and '>' keys, simply doesn't work, I mean, it doesn't show any key.

Is there any way to fix it?

I am having an issue with the mouse pointer randomly moving all over the screen and opening menus. It continually changes the screen focus. So if I am using pages, it clicks into finder or another application. Any ideas how to fix this it is extremely annoying and can make it difficult to get anything done at times. Help would be great.

@ Zpecter - What DSDT fix you applied for the Apple Smart battery to work? What version of the apple smart battery are you using? Is it modified or vanilla kext?

To fix your keyboard layout, you can download a handy app called Ukelele available at http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/14495/ukelele

@ Chrisemtpa - What device you use for mouse? Trackpad or a USB mouse?

@ Zpecter - What DSDT fix you applied for the Apple Smart battery to work? What version of the apple smart battery are you using? Is it modified or vanilla kext?

Hello, I followed this topic and I had to split some 16-bit registers into 8-bit registers and to add the B1B2 method, which is explained in the topic, to the DSDT. I didn't have to modify the kext, but it seems it only shows the charge on 5 to 5 steps, I mean, 100%, 95%, etc., I have to check it.

To fix your keyboard layout, you can download a handy app called Ukelele available at http://www.macupdate...>/14495/ukelele

I tried with Ukelele, but the problem is the key which is not detected by ukelele neither. :(

Hello, I followed this topic and I had to split some 16-bit registers into 8-bit registers and to add the B1B2 method, which is explained in the topic, to the DSDT. I didn't have to modify the kext, but it seems it only shows the charge on 5 to 5 steps, I mean, 100%, 95%, etc., I have to check it.

I tried with Ukelele, but the problem is the key which is not detected by ukelele neither. :(

I have the same patch on my DSDT but I'm using AppleSmartBattery kext from Rehabman which works much better.

Sorry to hear about the key binding issue. Maybe you can try this: http://russell.heistuman.com/2011/11/30/getting-windows-keyboards-to-work-on-mac-systems/

I have the same patch on my DSDT but I'm using AppleSmartBattery kext from Rehabman which works much better.

Sorry to hear about the key binding issue. Maybe you can try this: http://russell.heist...on-mac-systems/

I'm using the last version from Rehabman too, but it only shows the charge on 5 to 5 steps, don't know why. :(

Hi Folks,

relatively new to the scene,

But have been trying to get the iAtkos ML2 installation going on my L702x

Specs:

Nvidia Non-3d 555M

2670QM 2.2GHz

16GB RAM

All goes great with the setup. I disable the Nvidia Drivers, disable Ati Drivers, Enable the HD3000 (At the installer customization screen)

Install goes great.

I then do a first boot. Everything seems great, I get a very brief grey flash on the Laptop display but goes to black and stays that way, the funky startup music plays, but what ever I do it stays black.

Now if I start up with the Display Port vga adapter in and plugin a second monitor, then the same thing happens, except this time I seem to be getting a fully functioning, but extended desktop screen on the second monitor (Grey background & and can move the mouse around) But I can't see any menus etc to do any configuration)

So I am basically one step away from a nice fully work OS 10.8.2 system, but my laptop LCD display stays black.

Any body any ideas on how to fix. I've been struggling with patched kext files for the last two weeks.

(BTW tried GraphicsEnabler=Yes\No and makes no difference)

Any pointer would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the reply,

yes the NVidia drivers were deleted. But I finally got it to work.

So after the music came on and the Laptop screen was black, I noticed that there was some talking going on in the back ground.

After taking the time to decipher what the guy was saying I discover that the Voice Over (Talking menu box thing) was working.

So discovered that I could turn this on by (windows key) + F5.

I think the keys for selection are Ctrl + Windows Key + Space to select

and navigate the menu via the Tab key and the direction arrows.

It's a little tedious but was worth it to get setup.

I then navigated through the set-up process 'blind'

Once set up I then went in to the display settings turn on display mirroring which allowed me to install chameleon, put the A19 DSDT file in the root folder and the SMBIos.plist in the extra folder.

Ran Chameleon wizard setup the above and rebooted.

What do you know a fully working system with QE\CI on the laptop display.

Hope this can maybe help someone else out

I have to go through this all again as I tried installing some of the kexts from the first page and messed up my setup.

But most things seem to work 100% with out them apart from USB 3.0 and the Battery charging indicator.

@ WizP - Good to know that you got it working.

1) For Battery you need my updated DSDT from the downloads section: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/32-dell-xps-l702x/

1b) Also you need RehabMan's AppleSmartBattery kext. It is the Apple kext but patched to work with non apple batteries. Git: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Battery-Driver

Download link: https://code.google.com/p/os-x-acpi-battery-driver/downloads/list

2) For USB 3.0, uninstall the PXHCD.kext from System/Library/Extensions and install Zenith432's generic kext. Topic: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286860-genericusbxhci-usb-30-driver-for-os-x-with-source/

Download link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/genericusbxhci/files/

3) If you will use my updated DSDT you will need A19 modified BIOS as well as update AppleHDA kext: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/24-applehda-for-alc665/

Install the kexts using the latest Kext Wizard instead of the of provided in the Kext pack in the first page. Also make sure to delete the unnecessary kexts from S/L/E as they will no longer be needed after the above updates. The following kext can be removed if they were installed: AppleAPCIPlatform.kext, VoodooBattery.kext

• Like 1

Hello again,

So i have been using Mac OS X for about a 3 months now. It works flawlessly, just with some issues from time to time - the main issue is that sometimes sleep acts like restart, what i mean is that it goes to sleep and immediately comes back to clover screen. Another issue is with shutdown, which like sleep, switches off the screen but not the whole computer. I have to switch off with the power key.. Somebody knows what might be the problem? My spec is written in my other post, sorry for that.

My spec:

Dell xps 17 l702x

i5-2450m Sandy Bridge

nvidia 555m (3gb) non-3d

8Gb Ram

500 gb SATA HD

renesas USB 3.0

Intel HM67 chipset

Wifi intel 6030 (as i remember)

Bios: unlocked A.19

Hi everyone, I have read this guide a few times before and will be attempting it soon when I can find the OSX Lion image.

But before I do I just wanted to know if it was possible to get a prepped install for the L702X?? Hopefully with 1920x1080 / 555M / 2670QM configuration???

I don't want you thinking that this is me being lazy but I have bad dyslexia and I have a feeling this will stop me from succeeding. I would really like OS because of the colou rscheme / layout. I always type replies in Word to spell check before posting and I can be a bit slow reply too because it takes time to read.

Thanks

@Chrisemtpa - I don't use the laptop trackpad much but its works. I mostly use Logitech g500 or the Apple Magic Trackpad.

i tried chameleon but it had no sleep at all, because i had no SpeedStepping. With Clover i have it. DSDT is the same that in the first post, i only used my SSDT.

I think you need to try again with Chameleon. You need to delete the SSDTs and in Chameleon plist set it to drop the SSDT. Make sure you don't generate any states in Chameleon. Download the latest ssdtPRGen from tony{censored}: http://www.tony.com/ssdt/86906-ssdt-generation-script-ivybridge-pm.html (please fix the URL). Generate the new SSDT (you need to edit the script by finding the processor you have and change the minimum frequency, I believe it's 800 mhz for Sandy Bridge, confirm by looking up the specs on Intel's website or wikipedia). That should fix your issue.

Even after this your issues remain, create a new topic in DSDT section and post your SSDT and DDST. Someone will surely help.

Hi everyone, I have read this guide a few times before and will be attempting it soon when I can find the OSX Lion image.

But before I do I just wanted to know if it was possible to get a prepped install for the L702X?? Hopefully with 1920x1080 / 555M / 2670QM configuration???

I don't want you thinking that this is me being lazy but I have bad dyslexia and I have a feeling this will stop me from succeeding. I would really like OS because of the colou rscheme / layout. I always type replies in Word to spell check before posting and I can be a bit slow reply too because it takes time to read.

Thanks

It is pretty simple you can have a installable USB for your config in less then an hour. Follow my guide here: #509

Some of the steps are no longer required like NullCPU kext. Just copy the extra folder from the first post into your USB root. Put the DSDT in there, put your SSDTs from the Kext pack in first post. Copy all the kext to S/L/E from the kext pack. That's it.

hi everyone...

is possible to install ML3 changing BIOS settings with a A19 Modded bios?

i can't find just the long lines settigs:

- BIOS settings:
- Set your BIOS to its default settings
- Execute Disable bit: Enabled ______________________________________________________________
- Limit CPUID Max: Disabled ________________________________________________________________ i think this is "turbo mode power limit lock"
- Set all cores of the CPU active/enabled
- Virtualization (if exists): Enabled or Disabled, try it.
- Hyper-threading: Enabled _________________________________________________________________ this may be enabled by default
- HPET (High Precision Event Timer/PCH): Enabled
- SATA Mode: AHCI
- Set all the Overclock/Performance/Turbo etc. values to Auto ______________________________________
- Enable UEFI boot

it'll be great... ML3 will recognize GPU and WiFi card!!!

thk u very much

• Like 1

Maybe someone successfull will add a guide about how to install ML3U on our laptops for noobs here :)

Tried few times but screen just goes black :-(

@artur-pt : sure step by step otherways probably we will flood the forum with silly questions :)

@MBdip

Where did you find that the GPU and the WiFi cards in our laptops will work? Besides, I think all BIOS settings, except for UEFI boot are already as they should be.

@Pashulia

I posted the Clover config file I use a few pages ago, the DSDT I use is the NVIDIA-disabled one provided by mackyreddy. Advantage is that no kext modifications are needed to get the laptop to boot, only to improve functionality. Mind though that I use UEFI booting for Clover, with a modified BIOS.

@MBdip

Where did you find that the GPU and the WiFi cards in our laptops will work? Besides, I think all BIOS settings, except for UEFI boot are already as they should be.

the iatkos ml3u guide says...

- nvidia vga cards from G80 core to the newest kepler series (G80, G84, G86, G92,
G94, G96, G98, C79, GT200, GT215, GT216, GT218, GF100, GF104, GF106, GF108,
GF110, GF114, GF116, GF119, GK104, GK106, GK107) are supported on 10.8.3.
This does not mean that all of them will work (of course) but most of them will work
out of box (OOB) with iATKOS ML3U.
Some of them will work with issues (some are known issues and some may not be)
and some of them may not work. You will have to try and see it yourself.
- Users that have other compatible network devices will have to search for the drivers to
make them work on OS X.
Supported chips:
Wired:
- Intel Gigabit and Intel Pro/100
- Realtek RTL 8139/8111/8168
- Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114/AR8131/AR8151/AR8161/AR8171/AR8132/AR8152/
AR8162/AR8172
- Broadcom BCM57780, BCM57781, BCM57785
- Marvell 88E8035, 88E8036, 88E8038, 88E8039, 88E8056, 88E8001

Wireless:
Some chips (ie. Atheros ar5008, Broadcom BCM4311) are natively supported by
OS X. So, this is not the complete wifi support list of OS X, this is the additional support
list.
- Atheros 9285, 9287, 9227
- Broadcom 4312, 4321, 4322, 43224, 43225, 43227, 43228 (Some of these broadcom
chips need rebranding in order to work on OS X.)

maybe i said wrong about wifi.... but nvidia 500 series is "gf114"

Isn't the GT555M in the L702X a GF106? I thought only the 570M and 580M were GF114's.

however gf106 is in the list ;)

@MBdip

I think all BIOS settings, except for UEFI boot are already as they should be.

sure?

cuz if "Limit CPUID Max" is "turbo mode power limit lock", it's enabled by default

and i can't find "Execute Disable bit".... where is it?

iatkos ML2 fails to install everytime for me in Virtual machine with extension pack (64bit). I have tried customising settings several times and still fails.

I have not even got to the kexts and packs yet (which I am not looking forward to because of my dyslexia) and I am already wanting to give up. Any idea's?