Kext Wizard - Easy to use Kext Installer and more

janek202

269 posts in this topic

Well, I think it's pointless. Extensions will be renamed to KextStore only when "Rebuild mkext" option is selected. Chameleon loads kexts in that order:

1. Extra/Extensions folder

2. Extra/Extensions.mkext

Keeping Extensions folder and mkext is pointless, because kexts will be loaded only from E/E directory. That's why if you want to use mkext (some kexts works only that way) you have change Extensions' name (usually to KextStore).

If you repair permissions, install new kexts etc. this folder won't be renamed.

I will think about it, but usually the only function that takes some time is repairing permissions to whole disk (Option repair S/L/E permissions).

1- Agreed but: What if I want to use 'Kext Utility' at some point; It wont find the 'Extensions' folder. Am I being slow ?

2- I think that displaying : 'Repairing permissions' and 'Rebuilding Cache' would be nice.

Hey - I am not criticising your work (it's great) - just making suggestions.

3.1 looks fine so far.

Cheers,

1- Agreed but: What if I want to use 'Kext Utility' at some point; It wont find the 'Extensions' folder. Am I being slow ?

Just remove mkext and rename folder KextStore back to Extensions.

I have been always using KextStore and I had to rebuild mkext manually using terminal. It was one of the reasons I made this app.

Hey - I am not criticising your work (it's great) - just making suggestions.

Sure. Thanks for that.

Edit:

New version 3.2 for testing.

Please report me any bugs.

Changes:

1. Multithreading using Grand Central Dispatch.

That allowed me to show progress of tasks. App won't freeze while executing them.

2. Checking for new versions at startup. Disabled in test version (shows 3.1 as newer version, when 3.2 will be released it will be ok).

Can be enabled with small info.plist edition:

<key>Check for Updates at Startup</key>
<true/>

Edit: Version 3.2 officially released.

Changes:

1. Multithreading using Grand Central Dispatch.

That allowed me to show progress of tasks. App won't freeze while executing them.

Hi Janek,

Thanks for that.

I have run the maintenance including both cache rebuilds and it looks good.

I then run Snow leo (10.6.7) Repair Disk Utility and I got the following:

Repairing permissions for “SNOW”
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Classes/jconsole.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Repaired "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Classes/jconsole.jar".
User differs on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib", should be 0, user is 95.
Repaired "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib".
User differs on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Libraries", should be 0, user is 95.
Repaired "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Libraries".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Home/lib/security/cacerts", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Repaired "System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Home/lib/security/cacerts".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Repaired "System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Classes/jconsole.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Classes/jconsole.jar".
User differs on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/lib", should be 95, user is 0.
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/lib".
User differs on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Libraries", should be 95, user is 0.
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Libraries".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Home/lib/security/cacerts", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Home/lib/security/cacerts".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/libdeploy.jnilib", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/libdeploy.jnilib".

Is this normal ?

Cheers :rolleyes:

where Kext Wizard save the backup kexts?

If you checked option: "Backup kexts(...)", and kexts were replaced there should be a folder on desktop.

bck_fld.PNG

Could you add EFI support, simular to EFIUpdate2 ( http://www.insanelywind.com/forum/viewtopi...f=11&t=3244 ) and EFI Finisher 1.1 ( http://cl.ly/Xrb )?

Probably not. I have never used that and I'm not exactly sure how it works... And it's not one of my priorities. You can always put kexts into S/L/E

very professional & highly appreciated, janek202, compliments! I asked for what you just coded in this forum before and my postings were deleted by one of the bosses here. After asking why several times I was finally told that there is not the slightest need for such an app - that I and anybody else shall please use terminal and shut up.

Obviously it's not just me - I already knew that back then, but my contradicting led to my account being locked for quite a while ..

So we'll see. I hope the admin which did this to me either is not around anymore, or if so then recognizes and acknowledges what you are contributing ..

It would not amaze me if this posting gets deleted since the basic human right for free speech has not made it yet into all the narrow minded consciousnesses in this downplaying world.

Anyway, back to positive, keep up the great work!

• 2 weeks later...
Just remove mkext and rename folder KextStore back to Extensions.

I have been always using KextStore and I had to rebuild mkext manually using terminal. It was one of the reasons I made this app.

Hi Janek,

It's me again.

I would really appreciate if you made the renaming of Extension to Kextstore optional or just backup E/Extensions to E/Kexstore. I use loads of scripts which look for E/Extensions and that is prooving to be tedious.

I understand perfectly your arguments and you are correct.

Please, pretty please ?

It is optional. Extra/Extensions won't be renamed unless you select "Rebuild mkext" option...

Kexts Installation and "Repairing Extra permissions" won't rename it...

How would you like me to do it more optional? I don't have any ideas...

Having both folders (E/E and E/KS) is pointless and can cause problems.

Maybe I will just add option in the menu to bring back E/Extensions from E/KextStore?

He want to have a scope what he can tick so that the extra/extension will not be renamed when he rebuild the mkext. :(

No matter if it has sense or not. He want´s to rebuild the mkext even if chameleon will not load it.

New version 3.3 for testing.

Changes:

- Additional message before renaming Extra/Extensions to KextStore.

- New option in info.plist: "Rename EE to KS". Setting it to false won't allow the app to change name of E/E. Also mkext rebuilding will be disabled on disks without E/KS.

- New menu option: Bring back Extra/Extensions from Extra/KextStore. Allows you to undo changes of that folder.

- Some fixes and improvements in Loaded tab

Link: [see latests posts]

Please test and report me any bugs.

He want to have a scope what he can tick so that the extra/extension will not be renamed when he rebuild the mkext. :(

No matter if it has sense or not. He want´s to rebuild the mkext even if chameleon will not load it.

Hi Janek,

Sorry for the delay (Enjoying the Sun in normally wet UK).

What Wastez is decribing is pretty much what I was suggesting.

Scenario:

- Do a rebuild cache (Extra) --> Extensions is renamed to Kextsore

- Then go into installation and assuming I want to install a kext into Extra/Extensions, the option available are 'Extra' or 'Extensions.mkext on desktop'.

This is rather confusing if you don't know the ins and outs of the tool.

Should you want to use the functions of the tool as is, you could. All I was asking for is an option in 'Maintenance' which allows you to preserve the Extra/Extensions folder or disable the renaming of that folder.

Basically, your tool would remain in line with the current 'Standard'.

Hope this is clear enough.

Kind regards,

- Do a rebuild cache (Extra) --> Extensions is renamed to Kextsore

Should you want to use the functions of the tool as is, you could. All I was asking for is an option in 'Maintenance' which allows you to preserve the Extra/Extensions folder or disable the renaming of that folder.

Try test version 3.3. After small info.plist edition this app won't rename Extra/Extensions to Extra/KextStore. I think I will be enabled by default.

Having E/E and Extensions.mkext is pointless, and there's no need to rebuild cache when using E/E.

- Then go into installation and assuming I want to install a kext into Extra/Extensions, the option available are 'Extra' or 'Extensions.mkext on desktop'.

This is rather confusing if you don't know the ins and outs of the tool.

I know it can be quite confusing, because "Create mkext on desktop" will create mkext containing selected kexts, nothing will be installed to /E/E or /S/L/E, but it was simple to add (in code and gui)...

If you have better idea, please let me know.

Why I added (confusing) KextStore support?

Because some kext doesn't work good in E/E, but they work ok when loaded from mkext. So you need to create Extensions.mkext in Extra if you don't want to keep them in S/L/E. Unfortunately Chameleon will still load everything only from Extensions folder, so you need to change its name. Usually to KextStore.

When you add new kext to /E/E you don't have to do anything else, because chameleon will load all kexts from that directory. But when you use Extensions.mkext and KextStore, you also have to rebuild mkext.

That's why option "Rebuild mkext" won't work with E/E.

Try test version 3.3. After small info.plist edition this app won't rename Extra/Extensions to Extra/KextStore. I think I will be enabled by default.

Having E/E and Extensions.mkext is pointless, and there's no need to rebuild cache when using E/E.

Ji Janek,

I was under the impression that Chameleon will load extensions from E/E and S/L/E only when you boot with the -f parameter (i.e. ignores caches). Otherwise, it will load extensions from .mkext caches.

I have tested with the modification of the .plist file (Setting 'Rename EE to KS' to NO ) but it prevented rebuilding of .mkext. Why not just allow that?

By the way, I still go along with everyone that it is a great tool.

Regards

I was under the impression that Chameleon will load extensions from E/E and S/L/E only when you boot with the -f parameter (i.e. ignores caches). Otherwise, it will load extensions from .mkext caches.

Well, it works like that:

Without -f: S/L/E from cache (/System/Library/Caches), E/E from kexts, E/KS from Extra/Extensions.mkext

With -f: S/L/E from kexts, E/E from kexts, E/KS from Extra/Extensions.mkext

I have tested with the modification of the .plist file (Setting 'Rename EE to KS' to NO ) but it prevented rebuilding of .mkext. Why not just allow that?

What's the point of creating mkext, that won't be loaded by chameleon? With E/E directory, mkext is useless.

I don't want that to be even more confusing...

Hi Janek202... just a quick word about this "renaming E/E stuff" (i did it a lot my self :P ); you don't need to do it!

Just touch E/E before creating/updating the mkext and Chameleon will happily ignore E/E and load E/Extensions.mkext.

It's just a question of time, like when touching S/L/E to update system cache; touch updates E/E to current time and kextcache updates the cache with E/E's time.

Chameleon checks the time of both mkext and kext repository and if the mkext is older it's ignored;

-f argument forces the same situation, but only for system kexts; it has no effect on Extra.

Hope this is helpful :huh:

Stay safe...