fermi/gtx 480/gtx 470

cmf

1,729 posts in this topic

If yuo get any further, DONT forget the bench the GTX470/480 gpu with smallluxGPU (raytracing on GPU and in hybrid cpu+gpu mode)- until know ATI 48xx cards blow away our Nvidias by their massive shader/units count. We can be happy (in this case) that Apple didnt realease ATI 58xx cards ;)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=214190

edited.

I added Device (GFX0) into Device (NPE1), its' address is 0x0001000. See an example. I hope this will help you get an idea. You got to know what address your GTX480 locates.

Example.zip

I followed your instructions above and was able to reduce it to one error when compiling. I can't seem to get rid of this last one. I will attach my .dsl file and the log file

Archive.zip

You need to add the following lines into DSDT. DSDT.aml, posted on Post#15, has this method.

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)
{
	If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)
			{
				/* 0000 */	0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44,
				/* 0008 */	0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B
			}))
	{
		If (LEqual (Arg1, One))
		{
			If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
			{
				Store (Buffer (One)
					{
						0x03
					}, Arg4)
				Return (One)
			}

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))
			{
				Return (One)
			}
		}
	}

Store (Buffer (One)
		{
			0x00
		}, Arg4)
	Return (Zero)
}

Archive.zip

1)

Do you have LSPCI v1.1? if not get from LSPCI tool

You should get sth. like this after installing LSPCI tool and typing command in Terminal.

$ lspci -nn

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation Unknown device [10de:0ca3] (rev a2)

01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation Unknown device [10de:0be4] (rev a1)

This shows me that my GT240 card's address is 0x00010000. We need to know what the graphic card's address exactly is.

2)

Were you using 10.6.3, including Nvidia kexts? If your card placed on 0x0001000 and used all vanilla 10.6.3 kexts, you still not get GTX480 working properly. So, OS X 10.6.3 might not support GTX400 series. Then, we need to wait some members who can get it working or wait for new update.

I installed lspci and when I entered the command in Terminal I got

lspci: Cannot find any working access method.

I am using vanilla 10.6.3. Looks like it just isn't supported yet.

I'm sure we will get this. Thanks again for the help!!!

"April 29, 2010

A note about 10.6.4 beta

April 29th 2010 Posted to ATI, Nvidia, Snow Leopard

No Fermi (gtx480 gtx470) support and no Evergreen (ATI 5xxx) support.

Also, looks like support for hdmi/DP audio on nvidia cards (transitional, via realtek chip on mobo) is coming.(it’s just new SPAudioReporter reporting hdmi audio in System profiler)"

nekas

Maybe someone can help me i'm so desperate... I have installed snow 10.6 on my ps and i have evga nvidia geforce gtx 285 video card. i tried to run the osx and after apple logo my display is going to sleep, and i hear that osx starts, can hear music like u have on newly installed software. I tried everything nvenabler, natit, nkush, nvinjact does not work!!! Please help anyone! Thanks...

The files you all need to play with are not Geforce.kext, i know it's part of the files but NVDANV50Hal.kext is the kext you might need to edit hardware id's and see if it gives your fermi cards QE/CI. When Nvidia 8800, 9800, GTS 220, 250 etc they all enable NVDANV50Hal after it gets injected.

I just purchased myself an ATI 5770 overclocked, decided to change brands this time so i cannot test the fermi 470 or 480's.

Even though Geforce.kext has fermi code, it could only be partially implemented?

@cmf

Thats good news...

Was saving for Fermi and ended up buying a new VERTEX LE 100gig (sandforce 1500 controler but a 1200 firmware)

sense I saved up and still have enough for Fermi 480gtx. However I use the Mac OS most and for my surprise the VERTEX LE because of the controller is not supported at all so holding out for the 480 was my mistake. Man! frustrating waiting. Instead of returning it I will use it on Windows 7 and get the 480gtx and try setting up both (currently HD4850 runs flawlessly). I have the standard Vertex thats Mac compatible but its way slower.

Thanks to the guy at MicroCenter for helping me.

The files you all need to play with are not Geforce.kext, i know it's part of the files but NVDANV50Hal.kext is the kext you might need to edit hardware id's and see if it gives your fermi cards QE/CI. When Nvidia 8800, 9800, GTS 220, 250 etc they all enable NVDANV50Hal after it gets injected.

I just purchased myself an ATI 5770 overclocked, decided to change brands this time so i cannot test the fermi 470 or 480's.

Even though Geforce.kext has fermi code, it could only be partially implemented?

How i need to edit hardware id's and see if it gives your fermi cards QE/CI

Get yourself PlistEditPro this will let you edit .plist files which are inside the NVDANV50Hal.kext, You might also need a Hex Editor to hex edit files inside the kext but not sure, I do know how to do it, But it's better ask someone setp by step who has the card.

Hi Guys, i'm Frank802, i'm italian, i bought a gtx 480 and i'm still waiting it! I'll recive it the next week.......

I have an Hackintosh......(you can read my config below).

Are there any solution for my Hackintosh to use gtx 480? (when it arrive)...xD

Thanks....

Hi Guys, i'm Frank802, i'm italian, i bought a gtx 480 and i'm still waiting it! I'll recive it the next week.......

I have an Hackintosh......(you can read my config below).

Are there any solution for my Hackintosh to use gtx 480? (when it arrive)...xD

Thanks....

I think for now the best you can do is to use an 8800 GT/GTS together with it

Just picked up an EVGA "Fermi" NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 470

Starting a fresh build tomorrow based on the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R and i7. I was planning on using the Kakewalk build method.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

I will post progress.

I just built my hackintosh rig with the X58A-UD3R, i7 930 and the EVGA GTX 470. I am posting this from my hackintosh, unfortunately I'm stuck at 1024x768 and it obviously has no clue wtf kinda gfx card I've got in my box.

Going to try and get dual boot Win7 going so I can cruise around in an OS that respects my awesome graphical power. haha, but seriously, would LOVE to get this thing recognized.

Installed from a retail Snow Leopard 10.6.3 CD I picked up yesterday from the Apple store.

I just built my hackintosh rig with the X58A-UD3R, i7 930 and the EVGA GTX 470. I am posting this from my hackintosh, unfortunately I'm stuck at 1024x768 and it obviously has no clue wtf kinda gfx card I've got in my box.

Going to try and get dual boot Win7 going so I can cruise around in an OS that respects my awesome graphical power. haha, but seriously, would LOVE to get this thing recognized.

Installed from a retail Snow Leopard 10.6.3 CD I picked up yesterday from the Apple store.

I got almost the same configuration as you an set up a triple boot system 3 weeks ago, i managed to push up my resolution to 1600x1200, but the graphics are pretty slow because of the missing drivers. I hope there will be some support for this graphic card soon.

I've a X58A-UD3R, i7 920 and a ZOTAC GTX 470.

Get yourself PlistEditPro this will let you edit .plist files which are inside the NVDANV50Hal.kext, You might also need a Hex Editor to hex edit files inside the kext but not sure, I do know how to do it, But it's better ask someone setp by step who has the card.

to hex edit kext executables you can use this:

http://ridiculousfish.com/hexfiend/

oh yeah, a decent/easy way of adding gfx support for it would be a combo of an efi string (this tells you how to write one) and a device-id injector kext (this also might be useful). (when apple adds the fermi code to their kexts.)