Full solution for Zotac IONITX Atom 330 for 10.6.x SL

458 posts in this topic

Hello

to get this thing running you already need to have a PC or Mac running snow leopard: from this computer you can install to a new disk, following the instructions from Michael Glass in this thread. Then install Chameleon as in the first post plus the modifications.

I am not aware (and did not manage...) how to install to the Zotac from pure DVD.

Regards

Joey

@ robinbouc

You don't need a boot 132 disk and you also don't need a bootable usb stick.

You need an real mac, or an hackantosh with snow as operating system.

Than you hook up the hardisk, which you want to use later in your ion via USB to your real mac, or direct to your hackintosh.

Now you install from your running computer snow to your new drive. With my dmg "snow" I got an error, so I had to burn first a disk. Maybe different with yours and you can mount and install.

When installation has finished you can install chameleon, but be care full to install to the new disk and not to your running system.

Than you copy all the files you need from post #1 to the new disk.

Do all the setup in your ION BIOS, and start yourION with the new disk. Thats all

Hi, this question is all that have this board working in OSX.

Can you got the HD playback to work 100%... Or does it skip or the like. I would like to use this in part as a media center and having smooth playback is a must!

Thanks guy, if I got for this setup I will report back on how all is going.

Thanks,

CM

I haven't been able to get smooth playback on the ion. When I boot with the xbmc live cd, I can play 1080p mkv files from a network share without any frameskipping. Trying the same with either plex or boxee results in choppy playback. It seems to be that not too much processing is hitting the gpu in OSX.

I haven't been able to get smooth playback on the ion. When I boot with the xbmc live cd, I can play 1080p mkv files from a network share without any frameskipping. Trying the same with either plex or boxee results in choppy playback. It seems to be that not too much processing is hitting the gpu in OSX.

The same here. On my new MacBook unibody i get absolute smooth playback and didn't have any problems, if i understand the grapicchip should be the same in both machines, maybe the faster and better core 2 duo in the macbook makes the difference.

So, if you want smooth playback of mkv-files with the ion you need to go the ubuntu/xbmc road...

Hi can anyone help me about my alc662 audio chipset on a Asrock ion 330Pro? didn't found any working kext for it... in System profiler i see 0x18495890 ID AUDIO:662. if i modify the alc662 kext provided here with this id it will probably work? i have snow leopard 10.6.2 installed with a boot123 disc, original DSDT created. tnx in advance for your suggestions and sorry for english :D

Keep the great work you all!

EDIT: the sound chipset isn't the alc662 (mac profiler is wrong). unboxing the ion330 i see that the chipset is realtek890b.... hope this will be supported soon... or maybe someone alredy have the solution....

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody successfully install SL on the IONITX D-E board?

Upon installation a I get is a kernel panic on startup. I followed Michael Glass' instructions. What am I missing, they should be basically the same motherboard? Can anybody help?

Upon installation a I get is a kernel panic on startup. I followed Michael Glass' instructions. What am I missing, they should be basically the same motherboard? Can anybody help?

I have the D-E and it works great on mine. As is mentioned I helped (a little bit) to get it working. I think Shoarthing also has the D-E. My guess is that you have hyper-threading turned on and haven't installed the hacked kernel or something.

Removing AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, should solve the problem.

:)

Ok tested most of it...it runs ok, not like one of my macbooks but overall ok 720p playback on vlc sucks on plex more acceptable but not all that definitely think the rig needs an os that can take better advantage of the ION chipsets capabilities like ubuntu or even windows 7 might go that route just for testing. Overall great guide for those that want to run osx yet the experience is a bit hampered by the fact that the atom is not up to par with the OS.

I love this little machine now.

I wonder if snow server will run with the same installation guide? I will try on one off the next days. I guess it will.

update: I successfully installed 10.6.2-SL-Server on this beauty. Runs very well.

Make sure to install SL-Server this way (Source: this thread):

Mount your Server Install Disk. Now to install the server packages. Mount your Server Install DVD and then Cmd+Shift+G in Finder. Type /Volumes/Mac OS X Server Install Disc/System/Installation/Packages to navigate to the individual packages. Install in this order onto your intended partition.

Install 5 packages, this time, in this order:

a) OSInstall.mpkg

b.) ServerEssentials.pkg

c) ServerAdminTools.pkg

d) ServerSetup.pkg

e) QuicktimeStreamingServer.pkg (if you need it)

Make sure you have a working internet connection via ethernet before proceeding to install. On reboot via usb stick, set your server up as per normal.

----------------------

After that, install OSX Server combo update 10.6.2 from APPLE.

After that, proceed with chameleon and all the files like Michael Glass said in Post #10 in this thread.

Happy Serving! ;) ; and again: thanks to the original posters for the work on this nice little board!

Question for eugenek or shoarthing: Could we safely use the new chameleon RC4 instead of RC3?

Hi, Thanks for the awesome tutorial. Install of SL, 10.6.2 update and Chameleon work fine but I'm just running into one problem. I can't seem to move/copy the "boot" and/or the "mach_kernel" files into the dir (Volumes/VolName). Says I can't move the boot or mach_kernel file because they are invisible.

The computer that i'm using to install everything with is a Macbook Pro running 10.5.8. Does it have to be on SL as well?

Hope someone can help out. Thanks.

EDIT:

OK. Nevermind. Figured it out. I set show hidden files in Terminal and then deleted to boot and mach_kernel files and then moved them into to volumes/volName directory. can't just drag and drop.

Hi,

first off awesome work eugene2k! With your package I was able to get nearly everything working with 10.6.2 on my Packard Bell imax mini (ION board, Atom 230)... except for shut down and sleep.

Rebooting works with no problems, but when I try to shut down my machine it actually seems like it would (monitor turns off, usb hdd turns power led off) but the power led will stay on and I can also hear the fan spinning. The only way to get it out of this state is to push the power button for several seconds.

Nearly the same happens when I try to set it to sleep except that my usb hdd doesn't turn off its power led. Same thing I have to push the power button for several seconds to turn it off. But when turning it back on again I get the fan spinning at max for eternity and the only way to stop this is to detach the ac adapter. After re-attaching it will boot normally.

I've tried lots of things (no USB devices attached, qoopz kernel, EvoReboot instead of OpenHaltRestart, VoodooPower, etc. etc.) but nothing helped.

Maybe any of you guys could give me a hint what else I could look into or what could be the reason that I can't shut down or sleep?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Juergen

Is there any progress on a solution to get 5.1 audio via optical (or hdmi) to work?

Install the new Perian version (http://www.perian.org) and follow its instructions.

Open the Perian preference panel and select "quadraphonic output" (or something like that)... then follow the blog link with the tutorial...

It seems to work quite well... thou some receivers are incompatible.

I haven't tested yet, sorry.

Good luck.

Great news!

based on a thread of dual nVidia card (PCI and PCI-E) that I read before, I successfully add a Nvidia 8400GS PCI-E card to my Zotac ion-F-E, featuring Atom 330+9400M+PCI Express x16. what a waste if PCI-E is empty while we already paid for it and the power supply as well! Remember, Macbook Pro has the 9400M (PCI)+9600GT(PCI-E), we really should go insane!

Ordered Zotac 8400GS 512m low profile (no preference, just want to match Zotac brand) from newegg, since my Antec Skeleton mini-90 gives only 90w power, can not really afford 8500 or above. people said 8400GS takes only 25w power even fully loaded, well that's the perfect thing for upgrade.

Benefit:

Ion supports Phyx, with 8400GS and up, for my case, Phyx is enabled under Windows 7, but I didn't see much improvement, if any....some ripped 1080P movies are still unwatchable, I'm so confused by the control pannel, says enable Phyx processing to 8400GS or ION, is it a add on or a enabling? Whatever, I test both in the score system gave me the same result 3.5 and 5.4 for graphics...

In SL, I added EFI string to the boot.plst, no luck, God knows why. Installed the NVdarwin, choose 8400GS 512M, and voila! Be sure in Bois, you need to choose internal GPU, not PCI-E, and your monitors must be connected to onboard ones. turns out the DVI and HDMI can be used as dual extended screen, cool. The overall graphic performance...ummmm, almost the same as it is under Windows 7, but slightly better. If some of you can give it a try, share your result!

post-220178-1261603787_thumb.png

Hi eugene k2,

A great thank, this makes me happy !

It is a really nice work! and works like you said nearly out of the "mac mini" box. ;)

(And with a patched kernel - in the tree available - the update 10.6.2 runs with 4 (virtual) cores)

Only things that I miss are sound capabilities. (HDMI sound and headphone mic - for VoIP)

Are there new developements ?

Greatings

DrNWM

Thanks very much for the boot file. But I have a problem, not only with this boot file but with various other ones:

kernel panic @

PowerManagment/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment-90/pmProcessor.c:210
  Debugger called: <panic>

I tried changing the S-ATA setting to ACHI but that didn't change things.

Using Zotac IONITX-A-U, the "U" is, apparently, just a region code.

Thanks for any advice.