Apple Magic Mouse OSX86 - external bluetooth dongle

Dannydeman

453 posts in this topic

I've been using this IOGear GBU321 dongle (Broadcom 2045), and (aside from not being able to wake from sleep) it's been working well with my MM/wireless keyboard. There aren't any connectivity issues after waking from sleep either. No need for additional kexts or drivers. :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833139122

sooo this thing finally arrived --- but it wont connect to my damn Hama bluetooth dongle .. I already ordered the Trust Dongle but damn... <_<

The mouse itself is amazing (on my iMac atm).

Be sure to check out Better Touch Tool to get things like Exposé with a 3 finger tap.

anyone know if the mouse tracks on glass... Black glass to be specific?

I know the logitec MX Revolution can, its the same price, so this would seal the deal for me...

Tried on a piece of greenish plate glass I had around - answer is no

Also no on shiny black perspex, yes on matt black

Tried a piece of dark smoked glass on a black background and yes (possibly not as good though)

steve

Regarding the greyed out bluetooth wake option:

I read on Apple Forums that trashing /Library/Preferences/com.apple.bluetooth file + restart should help and bring back the Bluetooth wake option with the DBT-120. As i am running some conversions now i can't test it. Maybe you give it a try.

Using Systemprofiler i get this Firmwareversion: " Firmware-Version: 1586" Does anyone know if this is the latest Apple Firmware for that stick? I tried running the Apple Fimrware Updater 1.2.1 but it seems it does not work on SL anymore :-(

mouse works using an old acer bluetooth 1 Dongle but dies after sleep (works again after reconnect).

Trust cant come too soon :P

Interestingly apple updated their support page today

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3940

neither endorsing or recommending a Targus ACB10US :)

Thanks steve...

If you want a MM to run on a black glass table could you use a black mouse mat to be sure?

Thinking about it, when I used the smoked glass which was normal thickness, the black background was

black leather so perhaps it was just reading through the glass.

When I used the plate glass which was an inch thick, perhaps too much of the laser was absorbed?

steve

yeah i would like to use a mouse pad, but the feminine parts of the household don't want one....

Black mouse mats work for my current mice as the are designed for mice and have some kind of texture... the tabletop has not one bit of tracking capability... At the moment, a wacom graphics tablet is acting as the mouse...

and i feel like im taking this thread off topic... i might start a new one elsewhere....

Anyway, thanks

Could the MM work natively if my hackintosh have a built-in BT? Manufacturer is Cambridge Silicon Radio or do I still need a BT dongle like trust to make it work on my netbook hackintosh?

If your built in BT is recognized, and you could pair other device, MM is a BT device like the others, so it should work.

The only device that I've paired so far is my E71 which has Broadcom as it's BT manufacturer.

No matter...

You paired a device, so you should pair a MM like the rest.

My experience, with a noname bluetooth dongle is that i can see device, but not connect them. I changed for the trust one and all goes well...

I paired Logitech BT mouse, so I tried with a MM, and works great :rolleyes:

Good to hear that the Targus ACB10US USB Stick works with Wake-On-Bluetooth with 10.6. Question is: where can i buy that outside the US? Any hints?

EDIT: I just ordered a ACB10EU for 9 Euros incl. Shipping, i hope its the same thing cause it looks quite different and is much larger.

Never mind..meh..I will report as soon as i finish testing it..

edit: meh!! I cant get all features in my desktop with usb bluetooth, but my laptop with internal bluetooth works just fine! I have 10.6.2 so the update is inthere. Any clues? Using a cambridge bluetooth dungle.

Good to hear that the Targus ACB10US USB Stick works with Wake-On-Bluetooth with 10.6. Question is: where can i buy that outside the US? Any hints?

EDIT: I just ordered a ACB10EU for 9 Euros incl. Shipping, i hope its the same thing cause it looks quite different and is much larger.

Yes I ordered one yesterday for £5.99 plus free shipping, posted today so should know in a day or so.

I had a look on the US site and on some UK vendor sites, seems there were two versions with the same features,

version 1 was a stick device, version 2 was the mini device. The stick device seems discontinued in EU to be replaced

with a new 100m version.

But judging by the specs I've seen I would say the US & EU versions are just v2 and v1 respectively

steve

Yes I ordered one yesterday for £5.99 plus free shipping, posted today so should know in a day or so.

I had a look on the US site and on some UK vendor sites, seems there were two versions with the same features,

version 1 was a stick device, version 2 was the mini device. The stick device seems discontinued in EU to be replaced

with a new 100m version.

But judging by the specs I've seen I would say the US & EU versions are just v2 and v1 respectively

steve

Unfortunately the EU version is 1.1 only and doesn't appear to work on OS X, picked up on windows 7 though

edit

additional info - Shows as a Blutonium Broadcom 2035 chip (modern version being 2045/2046)

steve