• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

Master Chief

Master Chief

Just Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

If you don't mind, please remove the attachment from post #6, it has the update code in LoopTimerEvent, updates once a second.

Thanks again for your help.

You are welcome. And that attachment has been removed now.

William Parker

William Parker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

This is a slightly modified FakeSMC kext, I just added the "TC0D" key and some lines of code from VoodooMonitor to update it, so iStat will show the CPU die temp. It was tested on Snow Leopard with iStat 2.0.

Thanks goes to Master Chief for his help, and Netkas for the help and for writing FakeSMC.

Kext
Source

Nice work. Thank you.
Meantime what do you suggest we do about the score and odd errors of missing smckeys that fill up the log? Temperature readout is there all right with your edited fakesmc.
Master Chief's sure a great guy.
Thanks

oldnapalm

oldnapalm

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Moderators
  • 6,858 posts

Nice work. Thank you.
Meantime what do you suggest we do about the score and odd errors of missing smckeys that fill up the log? Temperature readout is there all right with your edited fakesmc.
I really am tempted to coax Master Chief into revealing how he does it without the fakesmc? Really envy him. Any way still a great guy.
Thanks

Thanks man, I'm glad this is useful to you too.
About the log messages there's not much we can do, iStat tries to read a lot of keys, I think even on real Macs not all the keys are valid (depends on the model). If you just want to remove the messages from log, you can remove the debug messages from FakeSMC, just comment out the following line from IOACPIPlatformDeviceCh.cpp
IOLog("FakeSMC: key not found %c%c%c%c, length - %x\n", s->key[0], s->key[1], s->key[2], s->key[3],  s->data_len);

William Parker

William Parker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Please don't.........

"There is no great genius without some touch of madness" - Seneca.
Relax man, just thinkin' aloud there.
Of course I appreciate Master Chief's work very much.
Man does sure love his capuccinos.
Ain't Insanelymac cool or what?

Matthew L.

Matthew L.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
If you don't want more people asking about this, I recommend everyone to edit their posts about Master Chief's hint or delete them completely, that is the best thing you can do. And Master Chief, you should edit your one, too. (Once you may get your PM box bombed with questions... :wacko:)

William Parker

William Parker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

If you don't want more people asking ... ;))

Thanks. Did my bit here.

iPhoneTom

iPhoneTom

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

I can because I did something "extra" which I won't reveal or I'll end up in court one day.

Tsk, tsk. Arent you the guy that always and everywhere nag ppl to get the sourcecode from them?

So come on, its your shot then, show us what you did.

Anyways, Mr. 'i-nag-ppl-to-get-their-code-because-i-cant-do-anything-myself', your stories are ....

Proof it or ....

William Parker

William Parker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Thanks man, I'm glad this is useful to you too.
About the log messages there's not much we can do, iStat tries to read a lot of keys, I think even on real Macs not all the keys are valid (depends on the model). If you just want to remove the messages from log, you can remove the debug messages from FakeSMC, just comment out the following line from IOACPIPlatformDeviceCh.cpp

IOLog("FakeSMC: key not found %c%c%c%c, length - %x\n", s->key[0], s->key[1], s->key[2], s->key[3],  s->data_len);

At the risk of sounding chainik - Pray whither do I seek this file?
Please oblige by shedding light on this as I explore renewed methods of expressing my gratitude for the trouble you take.

Tsk, tsk. Arent you the guy that always and everywhere nag ppl to get the sourcecode from them?

So come on, its your shot then, show us what you did.

Anyways, Mr. 'i-nag-ppl-to-get-their-code-because-i-cant-do-anything-myself', your stories are ....

Proof it or ....

Come on!
This guy's trying every bit as hard as you to help each other out here. Why don't you see the small button on top of the screen where mouse hover reveals "my friends"? Press on it with all your heart, and say "let's do it together".
Please?

oldnapalm

oldnapalm

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Moderators
  • 6,858 posts

Please oblige by shedding light on this as I explore renewed methods of expressing my gratitude for the trouble you take.

The file in question is in FakeSMC source package. I presume you don't have Xcode installed (sorry if I'm wrong), so here is the same kext without the "key not found" log message.
Attached File  fakesmc.kext.zip   30.52KB   26 downloads

Matthew L.

Matthew L.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

You been asking for teh source of teh sources? If yes, then there you go. (Those sentences exceed my english knowledge.) Whoops, oldnapalm was faster. ;)

Come on!
This guy's trying every bit as hard as you to help each other out here. Why don't you see the small button on top of the screen where mouse hover reveals "my friends"? Press on it with all your heart, and say "let's do it together".
Please?

Well...uh. IMO the guy's post needs no comments. Better for him, better for us.

William Parker

William Parker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

The file in question is in FakeSMC source package. I presume you don't have Xcode installed (sorry if I'm wrong), so here is the same kext without the "key not found" log message.

Thank you friend.
You are correct. I have not installed Xcode & have no idea about compiling packages, as I never needed to.
By the way just occurred to me, have you tried getting rid of OpenHaltRestart? There is as way it is done in DSDT.
Ideas?

THe KiNG

THe KiNG

InsanelyMac Legend

• Retired Developers
  • 794 posts

No temps with this version. Just a dash "-" and nothing else.

Maybe Netkas can explain why we need fakesmc.kext in the first place, because the kext uses the very same ports. What's the catch here?

BTW: I no longer use fakesmc.kext nor any other related kext (never mind asking how because I won't get sacked over this – my employer has a good relationship with Apple).

DO NOT start this again...
Was several guy in the past who claimed that...and ended in a ridiculous way...
And if is NDA then is "do not discuss" also.

I expect more from you...

oldnapalm

oldnapalm

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Moderators
  • 6,858 posts

Thank you friend.
You are correct. I have not installed Xcode & have no idea about compiling packages, as I never needed to.
By the way just occurred to me, have you tried getting rid of OpenHaltRestart? There is as way it is done in DSDT.
Ideas?

I always needed OpenHaltRestart.
I read somewhere that Master Chief got that working in one of his latest DSDT for P5K, but didn't look into it yet. I'll let you know if I find something.

asapreta

asapreta

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
So the KEXT that enabled the CPU Die Temp in iStat is gone?

oldnapalm

oldnapalm

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Moderators
  • 6,858 posts

So the KEXT that enabled the CPU Die Temp in iStat is gone?

It's in the first post.

Master Chief

Master Chief

Just Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

I read somewhere that Master Chief got that working in one of his latest DSDT for P5K, but didn't look into it yet. I'll let you know if I find something.

I was "only" able to mimic kdreboot() in OpenHaltRestart.kext by injecting 0xfe into EC.CMD and to mod _PTS a little (to change shutdown into restart) but I haven't had the time to finish it – this obviously due all help offered over the last... what do I know. That is also the only reason I did not share it with you {censored} & gals. Hopefully soon...

Edit: In case someone wants to reproduce this on a GB board, here what to do:

Add this to your Device (EC):
// New: Keyboard Controller Command Port – Used to trigger a warm boot (for testing).
					OperationRegion (KBCP, SystemIO, 0x64, One)
					Field (KBCP, ByteAcc, Lock, Preserve)
					{
						CMD,	8
					}
And add this to the end of Method _PTS()
if (LEqual (Arg0, 0x05))
		{
			Store (0xfe, \_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC.CMD)
		}
Now do a shutdown to restart you hack :|

Note: You need to have/add the SBUS/EC devices, because it won't work without them!!!

DieBuche

DieBuche

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Could u compile a version for 10.5?

BTW: I only i get one temperature reading for my q6600 in 10.6

oldnapalm

oldnapalm

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Moderators
  • 6,858 posts

Could u compile a version for 10.5?

Sure, attached to the first post.

BTW: I only i get one temperature reading for my q6600 in 10.6

That's because iStat only reads one key for CPU temp (AFAIK).

tora

tora

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thank you very much oldnapalm, this work for me.

spanakorizo

spanakorizo

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

i can confirm that this is truth.
Right now, temporary, i am back to my own patched DSDT, but the last one i used from Chief's DSDT didnt need openhalt to restart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy