Lifehacker Guide with GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
2370 replies to this topic

Poll: GA-EP45-UD3P / Core 2 Quad / 9800gtx Experience (406 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you Booting SL

1. Stable - No Problems (196 votes [47.80%])

Percentage of vote: 47.80%

2. Stable - Minor Issues (142 votes [34.63%])

Percentage of vote: 34.63%

3. Unstable - Kernel Panics (26 votes [6.34%])

Percentage of vote: 6.34%

4. Not Booting (46 votes [11.22%])

Percentage of vote: 11.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

SkipG

SkipG

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

BTW - There are several folks i noticed who get stuck with at the "Verifying DMI pool data" part. Check your CMOS settings - i've noticed any time you boot up without the bootloader flash drive in CMOS gets reset and for some reason automatically moves your HDD to the top of the list and you have to go back in and change it back to flash drive as the top boot priority....

Another way of picking the boot device is to hit F12 before the BIOS goes to detect your AHCI devices.

--Skip

nhc

nhc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

I'm all set now.

not so fast...for some reason each time i log in, at the log in screen my keyboard and mouse don't work. I have to unplug the usb cable and then plug it back in, then it works. I'm using a macally "apple style" keyboard and an apple (wired) mighty mouse. This just started happening after I ran the kext to get the sound working, per the last part of the lifehacker install guide. Any reason that would have messed up the keyboard?

stellarola

stellarola

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

not so fast...for some reason each time i log in, at the log in screen my keyboard and mouse don't work. I have to unplug the usb cable and then plug it back in, then it works. I'm using a macally "apple style" keyboard and an apple (wired) mighty mouse. This just started happening after I ran the kext to get the sound working, per the last part of the lifehacker install guide. Any reason that would have messed up the keyboard?

Yes, because you're not using the correct board. I can't stress this enough.

-Stell

martygearbox

martygearbox

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Quartz Extreme not working with 32 bit kernel

I set a 32 bit flag in the com.apple.Boot.plist in the Extra folder to get 32 bit kernel so that Parallels will work. Everything works, but no Quartz Extreme. How can I get QE working with 32 bit Kernel?

SkipG

SkipG

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Quartz Extreme not working with 32 bit kernel

I set a 32 bit flag in the com.apple.Boot.plist in the Extra folder to get 32 bit kernel so that Parallels will work. Everything works, but no Quartz Extreme. How can I get QE working with 32 bit Kernel?

QE Status not displayed in SL. Try launching Chess. If you can move a pawn, it's working.

Raiten

Raiten

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Stell, everything is running great but I just noticed my System Profiler is saying my cpu is only running at 2.07 when it is the same 3.0 that was listed in the article. This is the first time it has ever been like that in this build. It's not set like that in the bios. What might it be?

Edit: I went back into the bios and the 9X had dropped down to 6X automatically. Is this because my cpu was getting too hot? I check temp and system temp was 39 degrees C while the cpu was bouncing between 61 and 64.

Edit 2: the heatsink wasn't fully seated. Now it's idling at 51 to 53 while in the bios, system temp still 39. Is this normal? Fan speed was about 1500 I think.

One thing I noticed was in the bios settings on the first screen, on the screenshots it says:

CPU Vcore 1.2375V [Auto]

Mine says:

CPU Vcore 1.2500V [Auto]

I can change it to 1.2375V but then it is no longer auto. I have a feeling this is where the issue is. BTW these readings are from the bios so it was idle. I don't want to think about what it was at when I was installing apps.

Thanks for your help.

Matt

dna930

dna930

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Just finished my SL install following the instructions. My system is up and running except I am having a problem booting directly from the internal HD.

I can boot up no problem with the USB drive plugged into one of the USB ports in back and then selecting the internal SL drive. When booting directly from the internal SL HD, I select the system drive from the Chameleon menu and the system starts to boot. But the grey Apple menu shows a weird apple logo and then I get the grey screen of death that comes down from the top of the screen - says I have to restart the computer. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Everything worked the first time booting from the USB drive:
Q9400
Kingston HyperX 8GB (4x2GB)
EVGA 9800GTX+ (no configuring to drive two Dell 2209WAs)
Linksys WMP54GS (instantly recognized during SL install)
Samsung DVD
300GB Veloceraptor
1TB Carviar Black x2 (set-up as RAID 1)
Logitech Novi USB wireless keyboard (works waking system from Sleep Mode)
Intuos4 tablet pen and mouse

delite

delite

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
Has anyone tried lifehackers guide with ep45-ds3? I was googling for diferences between the ep45-ud3p and ep45-ds3 but apart from gigabyte's official site not much comes up.

Is this guide strictly for the UD3P board?
Apart from raid, firewire and 3 sATA slots the boards appear to be similar (chipset, audio, ethernet ...).

projectorhead

projectorhead

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Could somebody please point me towards a solution to a non-working Time Machine? I'm running 10.6.1, and when Time Machine is told to "Back Up Now" it immediately just starts counting down again to the next backup.

I've followed the Lifehacker guide for the EP45-UD3P and have the hardware listed for that guide, and the rest of my system is apparently working just fine (as far as I can tell after a couple days). However, Time Machine simply will not make a back-up.

Any ideas? Please please please???

nhc

nhc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Yes, because you're not using the correct board. I can't stress this enough.

-Stell

where do you get that from? I bought the exact board from the lifehacker guide. Went straight to his saved wishlist, added it to my cart, and bought it from newegg. Where did you get the idea i was using a different board?

blackjer

blackjer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
I currently have a hackintosh running 10.5.8 with his mother board. The only difference is that i have an ATI vid card.

So, i tried updating to SL for fun to see if it would work. When i boot off the flash drive i get the initial gray screen with the apple logo on it and the little "thinking" icon underneath it. Eventually, that icon disappears and after a few seconds the screen stays that grayish/off white color and nothing happens. I'm assuming this is because i dont have the same video card as listed in this guide.

I have ordered the correct card but i just wanted to make sure it is the cause of my problem?

macusers

macusers

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

This thread is for us to share our experience with the hardware configuration:

Obviously, the case, the hard disk, and the memory don't have to be the same, but here they are for the sake of posterity:

The lifehacker guide including hardware config can be found here, and simplified even further through the addition of an automated script here.

Kudos to Adam Pash of lifehacker for putting this together, it's quite amazing to be able to do this so cheaply and simply!

If you've spent the money to get this exact configuration, it's probably a good idea to have a single place to discuss any problems that come up in the future. So share your experience here and hopefully this awesome hack pro setup will work flawlessy untill it's time for an upgrade!

First of all, I want to thank you for your info and link to the awesome guide by lifhacker, unfortunately this only work for the particular hardware, but it is the most easy and detail instruction I have seen sofar up to this point and time for getting the SL install on the PC(of course beside the disktro). I have been trying a few different installing method without sucess until now, even though my hardware doesn't totally match to what the Author intent, i was still able to install it and start up in matter of a brief read his guide, i would recommend this to anyone has the suitable hardware. Once again, thanks to everyone involve and make useful thing like this happen.

nhc

nhc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
My CPU temps seem to be impossibly high - reading between 87 and 99 C. Is this even possible? The air coming out of the back of the case actually feels quite cool. I opened the case and the heat sink seems to be seated properly on the chip. The BIOS seems to also have automatically set the CPU ratio back to 6x (i believe i had it set at 9x), and my chip is only reading as 2GHz (its a 3GHz chip) when it starts up. I noticed another poster had a similar problem - but it was a improperly seated heat sink. I think mine is on there correctly...

Raiten

Raiten

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

My CPU temps seem to be impossibly high - reading between 87 and 99 C. Is this even possible? The air coming out of the back of the case actually feels quite cool. I opened the case and the heat sink seems to be seated properly on the chip. The BIOS seems to also have automatically set the CPU ratio back to 6x (i believe i had it set at 9x), and my chip is only reading as 2GHz (its a 3GHz chip) when it starts up. I noticed another poster had a similar problem - but it was a improperly seated heat sink. I think mine is on there correctly...

It sounds like you are having the exact same problem I had. I thought the heatsink was seated properly too. I realized its really important to push down the pins opposite each other. Before, I went in a circle and even though it seemed like it was seated correctly, when I pulled it off, only half of the thermal compound was smooshed.

I would take off the heatsink and then put it back on, maybe with some arctic silver instead. I just got some, though I don't think its necessary because mine is running fine now.

ghola

ghola

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
Ok, I'm useing pretty much the same stuff, cept a Dual CPU and ATI card and a slightly different MB model but they're pretty much same.

* Antec Sonata III 500 Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply
* (( Im useing GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-UD3P - Notice the letter C)) GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P
* (( Im useing E6300 wolfdale - AKA DualCore )) Intel Core 2 Quad 3.0GHz
* (( Im useing Vapor-X 4870 1GB - I can't see this being the booting problem)) GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB
* 4GB DDR2 800 Dual Channel Kit
* SATA nternal Hard Drive

I can only think that the CPU must be the problem cause I can't even get into the start of the install. Do I need a different USB custom bootloader for the Lifehacker method?

Basically the last important piece of info on the boot up mode with vebose is:
pushCPU_CSTdata - _CST evaluation failed

Any info for me guys? Thanks

macusers

macusers

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Ok, I'm useing pretty much the same stuff, cept a Dual CPU and ATI card and a slightly different MB model but they're pretty much same.

* Antec Sonata III 500 Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply
* (( Im useing GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-UD3P - Notice the letter C)) GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P
* (( Im useing E6300 wolfdale - AKA DualCore )) Intel Core 2 Quad 3.0GHz
* (( Im useing Vapor-X 4870 1GB - I can't see this being the booting problem)) GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB
* 4GB DDR2 800 Dual Channel Kit
* SATA nternal Hard Drive

I can only think that the CPU must be the problem cause I can't even get into the start of the install. Do I need a different USB custom bootloader for the Lifehacker method?

Basically the last important piece of info on the boot up mode with vebose is:
pushCPU_CSTdata - _CST evaluation failed

Any info for me guys? Thanks

After it finished install SL to the HD you need to run the EP45UD3P Snow Leopard pkg on more time but instead of choose the usb thump drive you need to choose the new install Snow Leopard HD then you should be booting from the Snow Leopard HD now.

ghola

ghola

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

After it finished install SL to the HD you need to run the EP45UD3P Snow Leopard pkg on more time but instead of choose the usb thump drive you need to choose the new install Snow Leopard HD then you should be booting from the Snow Leopard HD now.

It doesn't even get out of the boot up( boot in -v ), fails before the installer gets going......

bonfilio

bonfilio

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
UD3P system in sig w/ only OSX.

Retail SL DVD + SL Boot 132.. no USB key (mine kept unmounting during imaging - think the drive is borked now) needed - straight ahead 132 install. Using $20 external USB audio. Works perfectly under both 32 and 64 bit.

Onboard ethernet works flawlessly here. Not sure why the Netgear is needed...

fakesmc.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
OpenHaltRestart.kext

BatterseaPS

BatterseaPS

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Stell, I got the Asus WL-138G V2 wireless card coming in the mail, as per your post here:

http://stellarola.tu...atible-hardware

Will it work with this configuration?

macusers

macusers

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

It doesn't even get out of the boot up( boot in -v ), fails before the installer gets going......

It sound like you get kext panic. you may have to patch your "dsdt" there a lot of thread about that floating in the forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy