DSDT - Vanilla Speedstep - Generic Scope (_PR)

FKA

1,949 posts in this topic

IRQ Question --

in my case would i remove what's highlighteed in red bellow ??

Device (PIC)
               {
                   Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0000"))
                   Name (_CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
                   {
                       IO (Decode16,
                           0x0020,             // Range Minimum
                           0x0020,             // Range Maximum
                           0x01,               // Alignment
                           0x02,               // Length
                           )
                       IO (Decode16,
                           0x00A0,             // Range Minimum
                           0x00A0,             // Range Maximum
                           0x01,               // Alignment
                           0x02,               // Length
                           )
                       [b][color="#ff0000"]IRQNoFlags ()
                           {2}[/color][/b]
                   })
               }

D

I tested Master Chief's LegacyAGPM.kext using MacPro4,1 as identifier, AGPM loads but with this identifier CPU-i shows no voltage reduction when CPU is idle (temperature is OK tough)

Captura_de_tela_2009_10_03___s_18.31.31.png

Using MacPro3,1 or MacPro4,1 with The King's MP41SpeedStepFix.kext voltage goes down, but no AGPM

Captura_de_tela_2009_10_03___s_18.44.38.png

How do I know if AGPM is actually working?

Thanks.

Done!

Like I said in post #362

"Next thing is to work on a LegacyACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext – no more /S*/L*/Extensions hacks for me – to enable NVIDIA throttling since that now only works with MacPro4,1 And I am not going to use this identifier but the one of a MacPro3,1 instead."

The new kext accompanying LegacyAGPM.kext is Legacy_ACPI_SMC_PP.kext and can be used with the following model identifiers:

MacPro3,1

MacPro4,1

P5K PRO

Feel free to replace the latter one with say iMac9,1 :( Oh and don't forget to modify LegacyAGPM.kext which only works with P5K PRO as model identifier, and you migh need to add your video card (see also post #362).

NVDA

AGPM Picture 1

AGPM-Picture-1.png

AGPM Picture 2

AGPM-Picture-2.png

AGPM Picture 3

AGPM-Picture-3.png

CPU0

AGPM Picture 4

AGPM-Picture-4.png

Attachments

Legacy_ACPI_SMC_PP.kext.zip

AGPM Picture 1

AGPM-Picture-1.png

AGPM Picture 2

AGPM-Picture-2.png

very good - thanks!

I don't seem to have the 'gpu-control' branch under GFX, just AGPM.

Any ideas? not supported for my GPU or am i missing something from GPU DSDT injection part?

post-275122-1254660698_thumb.png

D.

very good - thanks!

I don't seem to have the 'gpu-control' branch under GFX, just AGPM.

Any ideas? not supported for my GPU or am i missing something from GPU DSDT injection part?

post-275122-1254660698_thumb.png

D.

Thank you!

I'm still rather new at all this, but having your ioreg dump might help.

I'm still plagued by that ridiculously difficult to track CPU0 lost thing, as I appear to be the only person with this problem. I tried it with and without /Extra/Extensions.mkext and even moved all kexts into /System/Library/Extensions/ and let it generate a new /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext to no avail. I also booted from my /Volumes/USBBOOT with Chameleon RC3 installed on it – model identifier set to MacPro3,1 – and still nada. Then I restored an almost vanilla /dsdt.dsl and still nothing. I booted into a second Snow Leopard installation, as a last resort, but that also lost CPU0 after the installation of either my kext or the one provided by THe KiNG . I simply don't get it!?!

GOT IT

I found the following errors in kernel.log:

Not loading kext com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin - not found and kextd not available in early boot.

Not loading kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController - not found and kextd not available in early boot.

Not loading kext com.apple.iokit.AppleYukon2 - not found and kextd not available in early boot.

And I must admit, shamefully, that I ignored these errors simply because I had no clue. Then I remembered reading something about OSBundleRequired and found this info again (freaking stupid bookmark keywords). Long story short: Only add a OSBundleRequired property when the matching kext has one. And when it has one, then make sure to use the same value in your legacy kext.

And not only did it fix that CPU0 issue I was having, but also reduced my boot time (fractionally) due to having less errors!!!

Attached you'll find a new archive with the two kexts in it. Please note that I also renamed Legacy_ACPI_SMC_PP.kext to LegacyACPI_SMC_PP.kext so make sure to remove the old one!

@THe KiNG: You should fix your kext because you used Local-Root instead of Safe-Boot which is partly what caused me all this trouble. Or maybe not. That is if you or someone else here can explain to me how I can load my kexts from /Extra/Extensions without any errors/warnings :P

p.s. I load these kexts from /System/Library/Extensions/ and I haven't really checked them in either /Extra/Extensions/ or /Extra on the EFI partition which both may or may not work. As a matter of fact.... they don't seem to load properly from /Extra/Extensions/ Your mileage may vary, of course.

Archive.zip

hello hello ;)

MasterChief i tried those legacy kexts and i guess everything looks ok (ioreg shows gpu-control,AGPM,power states etc)

but i looked at console and i have the same error as you

kernel	Not loading kext com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin - not found and kextd not available in early boot.

how did u fixed that?

and i would like to boot with 4.1 model but if i change it from smbios.plis (in EFI/Extra) i get KP

should i change it also from another file?

if i don't load custom smbios.plist the system shows mac pro 2.1 and also geekbench doesnt recognize it as "hackintosh"

hello hello :rolleyes:

MasterChief i tried those legacy kexts and i guess everything looks ok (ioreg shows gpu-control,AGPM,power states etc)

but i looked at console and i have the same error as you

kernel	Not loading kext com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin - not found and kextd not available in early boot.

how did u fixed that?

You mean with my latest kext files? Did you remove the old file? And what about Extensions.mkext?

and i would like to boot with 4.1 model but if i change it from smbios.plis (in EFI/Extra) i get KP should i change it also from another file?

if i don't load custom smbios.plist the system shows mac pro 2.1 and also geekbench doesnt recognize it as "hackintosh"

Don't use MacPro4,1 with a Q6600 but MacPro3,1 instead.

See also post #372 by FormelyKnownAs about removing/disabling AppleTYMCEDriver.kext ;)

You mean with my latest kext files? Did you remove the old file? And what about Extensions.mkext?

See also post #372 by FormelyKnownAs about removing/disabling AppleTYMCEDriver.kext :rolleyes:

now Chief has come up with this leagcy AGPM kext I'm sticking with MacPro3,1 for now.

I can't be bothered having to remove AppleTYMCEDriver.kext everytime I update.

@The KiNG - I am correct in thinking your SMC override kext should work without the need of adding any SSDT tables to DSDT?

I've tried to follow you and roisoft's posts at the project. Without any SSDT tables I can get the kext to load and see it in ioreg but stepping is stuck at highest multi.

@Chief - I'll post ioreg dump when i get back from work.

D.

See also post #372 by FormelyKnownAs about removing/disabling AppleTYMCEDriver.kext ;)

back to my previous /extra installation

with this method, lot of errors with every app i was opening:

kernel	Dock (map: 0x7102148) triggered DYLD shared region unnest for map: 0x7102148, region 0x7fff80c00000->0x7fff80e00000. While not abnormal for debuggers, this increases system memory footprint until the target exits.

so im done :rolleyes:

/out of topic

MasterChief can u please attach the dsdt.dsl part of PS2 devices?

i saw your method in P5K PRO thread, but with copy paste i couldn't compile

I use PS2 keyboard and i would like to get rid of the 2 needed Kexts in /extra

back to my previous /extra installation

with this method, lot of errors with every app i was opening:

kernel	Dock (map: 0x7102148) triggered DYLD shared region unnest for map: 0x7102148, region 0x7fff80c00000->0x7fff80e00000. While not abnormal for debuggers, this increases system memory footprint until the target exits.

so im done :)

This was with model identifier set to MacPro4,1 right? Otherwise this method should work (famesmc.kext still sucks however).

/out of topic

MasterChief can u please attach the dsdt.dsl part of PS2 devices?

i saw your method in P5K PRO thread, but with copy paste i couldn't compile

I use PS2 keyboard and i would like to get rid of the 2 needed Kexts in /extra

Please forward this to the appropriate thread, and don't forget to attach the kexts so that I know what you are talking about.

It 'an evening that I do try:)

I uploaded LegacyAGPM and in / EXTRA (EFI partition) and gives me error loading:

kernel not loading kext com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin - kextd not found and not available in early boot.

But in the end you upload the same as photos attached:

post-184388-1254684885_thumb.png

post-184388-1254684905_thumb.png

This was with model identifier set to MacPro4,1 right? Otherwise this method should work (famesmc.kext still sucks however).

This actually was happening even before but i didnt notice, after google, i came up to apple's forums with the solution (just boot in safe mode and it will clean the cache, so the errors will disappear)

so i don't think it was because of your kexts

maybe i test again, but why not set it to 4.1? (as somebody said that throttling works only in 4.1)

Please forward this to the appropriate thread, and don't forget to attach the kexts so that I know what you are talking about.

i will, thanks

It 'an evening that I do try:)

I uploaded LegacyAGPM and in / EXTRA (EFI partition) and gives me error loading:

kernel not loading kext com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin - kextd not found and not available in early boot.

But in the end you upload the same as photos attached:

post-184388-1254684885_thumb.png

post-184388-1254684905_thumb.png

I'm sorry but I don't know what to make of it. It might be me of course, me and my long hours getting stuff done, but I simply fail to understand what it is you are trying to tell me. I did however add a quick note about loading these kexts from /Extra/ on the EFI partition because I haven't checked it myself.

<snip />

maybe i test again, but why not set it to 4.1? (as somebody said that throttling works only in 4.1)

If you only had a Intel Nehalem processor... which you don't so what's the catch? There isn't any.

Note: The first person to claim that it works on his/her Core i7 (or whatever) should demo it with a video :) otherwise I'm not buying it.

Long story short: Only add a OSBundleRequired property when the matching kext has one. And when it has one, then make sure to use the same value in your legacy kext.

Original kext has "Safe Boot" but I need "Local-Root" in LegacyACPI_SMC_PP.kext or AGPM won't load.

I'm sorry but I don't know what to make of it. It might be me of course, me and my long hours getting stuff done, but I simply fail to understand what it is you are trying to tell me. I did however add a quick note about loading these kexts from /Extra/ on the EFI partition because I haven't checked it myself.

Sorry for the language but I'm using google translator: P

Basically I meant that from the photos I attached it seems that (despite the error at startup) functions.

If you omit those two kext voice AGPM not appear anywhere on IORegistryexplorer.

but why not set it to 4.1? (as somebody said that throttling works only in 4.1)

Yet to be proved but I'm hoping Chief's Legacy AGPM and SMC kext - thus having AppleGPUPowerManagment loaded, regardless of system identifyer used, will enable GPU throtteling ..

D

Sorry for the language but I'm using google translator: P

Basically I meant that from the photos I attached it seems that (despite the error at startup) functions.

If you omit those two kext voice AGPM not appear anywhere on IORegistryexplorer.

Sorry. I didn't want to be rude or anything. Now I get it. Thanks.

p.s. Are you Russian or...?

Yet to be proved but I'm hoping Chief's Legacy AGPM and SMC kext - thus having AppleGPUPowerManagment loaded, regardless of system identifyer used, will enable GPU throtteling ..

D

Dave,

Power management is registered here, but it seems to need something else/more. Anyone here having SBUS in DSDT?

Sorry. I didn't want to be rude or anything. Now I get it. Thanks.

p.s. Are you Russian or...?

No problem is that I could not understand me, that's all:)

I am Italian.

I am attaching a kextstat of my system: according to you is running the GPU Thritteling?

post-184388-1254689956_thumb.png

Dave,

Power management is registered here, but it seems to need something else/more. Anyone here having SBUS in DSDT?

I don't have the pleasure of your name so you'll just have to be 'Master Isaac'

No SBUS here . and yes it's registered and no it aint seem to be doing !

D.

I don't have the pleasure of your name so you'll just have to be 'Master Isaac'

They don't call me Chief for nothing :)

No SBUS here . and yes it's registered and no it aint seem to be doing !

D.

My MacPro has SBUS in DSDT which links to "smbus" so I did a Enter grep -r "smbus" /System/Library/Extensions/ to find AppleSMBusController.kext where I found references of PCI ICH and PCI MCP79 (Nvidia 9400M-chipset used in MacBook Pro, iMac9,1 and Macmini3,1). Without SBUS my fans (see sig) keeps revving at top speed, and thus it has to be part of it.

I'm about to install some software here to check if what I am hearing is right (fan speed goes up and down out of nowhere). EDIT: It was just the fan of my power supply. Too bad really.

I found the following errors in kernel.log:

Not loading kext com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin - not found and kextd not available in early boot.

Not loading kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController - not found and kextd not available in early boot.

Not loading kext com.apple.iokit.AppleYukon2 - not found and kextd not available in early boot.

The only way to fix those(as far I know) is to patch original kext's in /s/l/e, since you use them in /e/e you can't fix them b/c as the warning message say they are loaded earlier in the boot process.

@THe KiNG: You should fix your kext because you used Local-Root instead of Safe-Boot which is partly what caused me all this trouble. Or maybe not. That is if you or someone else here can explain to me how I can load my kexts from /Extra/Extensions without any errors/warnings :(

I'm 99.99% sure that can't cause your CPU issue, and the kext I made works just fine for me and others, but I advised to be used in /Extra/Extensions.mkext not just in /Extra/Extensions(that can be removed if mkext is present)

Also you can just remove that OSBundleRequired if that cause you trouble(mkext is required for this)

Anyway I made just one kext that fix all for my board and all works as they should:

fixm.jpg

If you wanna take a look on it: P6TX.kext

No idea what you say about i7, works just fine as you can see in my thread if I and roisoft proof are not enough then can't say anything else...

@THe KiNG: I'l get back to you after work – it was getting a little late yesterday, or better this morning, and thus I have to take care of work first now simply because that's paying the bills here and float my boat.

I'm 99.99% sure that can't cause your CPU issue, and the kext I made works just fine for me and others, but I advised to be used in /Extra/Extensions.mkext not just in /Extra/Extensions(that can be removed if mkext is present)
I can reproduce it – being the CPU0 getting lost – with 100% accuracy so it must be the case (or I must be doing something stupid). And you seem to have missed this part in my text: "I tried it with* and without /Extra/Extensions.mkext".

* sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -l -mkext2 /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions/

Now about your combo kext, which is cool and everything – I know where you got the idea from – but it won't help anyone here fixing P/C-State related problems. And neither does it fix the problem I am facing... but let's not go off-topic again. Thanks anyway.

No idea what you say about i7, works just fine as you can see in my thread if I and roisoft proof are not enough then can't say anything else...
I wasn't talking about (vanilla) P-States/C-States but the video card fan speed – we may want to open a new thread for it, otherwise we're drifting off topic too much.

In general: Why is it that people here keep skipping mighty important topics at hand... like having SBUS in DSDT. I simply don't get it.

I did add the missing SBUS to my dsdt.dsl last week, and I tell you this: reading the "Intel I/O Controller Hug 9 (ICH9) Family" was a real eye opener. No. I don't like to copy/paste stuff info my dsdt.dsl Not without knowing what it does. Even if it takes me four hours of reading to grasp the meaning of it. At least now I understand what it does. That's the beauty of reading.

SBUS Goodies

I'm not going into much detail right now, but let's look at what adding SBUS in DSDT does (using kextstat):

Without SMBUS it loads the following extra kexts:

com.apple.driver.AppleIntelMeromProfile

com.apple.driver.AppleIntelNehalemProfile

com.apple.driver.AppleIntelYonahProfile

com.apple.driver.AppleTyMCEDriver

com.apple.driver.AppleMCEDriver

com.apple.driver.AppleFileSystemDriver

com.apple.driver.AppleHDAPlatformDriver

With SMBUS it loads the following extra kexts - not the kexts mentioned above:

com.apple.driver.AppleSMBusPCI

com.apple.iokit.IOSMBusFamily

com.apple.driver.AppleSMBusController

com.apple.driver.AppleMikeyDriver

com.apple.driver.AppleMikeyHIDDriver

The first three kexts should be clear, but the latter two might not be needed – giving me two sound assertions – though I have yet to check this myself.

In other words: It now knows what kext to load for the processor. It won't have to load all four kexts anymore. Just com.apple.driver.AppleIntelPenrynProfile for my hack. But more importantly... enter MacPro4,1 without using a disabler for AppleTyMCEDriver.kext or the need to remove it without a Nehalem CPU.

SBUS Goodies

I'm not going into much detail right now, but let's look at what adding SBUS in DSDT does (using kextstat):

I added code for SBUS (from a MacPro1,1) to my DSDT. It shows in the ioreg, but none of those kexts are shown with kextstat. In my case only com.apple.driver.AppleIntelMeromProfile is loaded from the above mentioned kexts

post-51637-1254832309_thumb.jpg

Chief, could you share the code you used for this? It might work on the P5K-VM as well (misses SBUS at 1F,3 too) . If this is out of topic here, please post it at the P5K-VM thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=62111

Would be great if you can share your .dsl file so we can compare with ours

Thanx for all the research you are doing