[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Hi PSUlion01

I have no idea as to why that would happen, though it sounds similar to an issue titan4 has.

It's all pretty frustrating... Computer seems to just be shutting down after/in place of sleep. Weird thing is that it was working just fine for a while. I have not checked CPU temp to see if it's overheating and shutting down, but to my knowledge all is well. I did another clean install and the problem still persists. Really at a loss right now and may just bag it and go with Ubuntu, as this machine is really just meant to be a file server and I'd prefer something that is more stable.

If anyone has any thoughts, or ideas as to what might be causing problems, or what I can do to try and remedy this, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Really at a loss right now and may just bag it and go with Ubuntu, as this machine is really just meant to be a file server and I'd prefer something that is more stable.

If it's only a file server you're after then yes, maybe a linux install might server you better. And don't forget Ubuntu is a well oiled machine where as a hackintosh is a hobby and takes time to perfect. If you want to continue here with your hackintosh then we will be happy to assist you as long as you have the patience to read about all the relevant elements required and learn about your hardware. A hackintosh can be very rewarding when it's done right, but many users out there have systems which don't sleep properly so you're not alone. And remember if you want a fully functioning stable OS X system straight away then you could always buy a real Mac?

But having said that my hackintosh is damn near perfect for my uses and runs great so if you have the same hardware as me then there's a good chance you can have the same. Can you create a signature listing your hardware so it's easy for me/others to help you without trudging through previous posts to find the info?

I know it's frustrating, but it can be done :)

If it's only a file server you're after then yes, maybe a linux install might server you better. And don't forget Ubuntu is a well oiled machine where as a hackintosh is a hobby and takes time to perfect. If you want to continue here with your hackintosh then we will be happy to assist you as long as you have the patience to read about all the relevant elements required and learn about your hardware. A hackintosh can be very rewarding when it's done right, but many users out there have systems which don't sleep properly so you're not alone. And remember if you want a fully functioning stable OS X system straight away then you could always buy a real Mac?

But having said that my hackintosh is damn near perfect for my uses and runs great so if you have the same hardware as me then there's a good chance you can have the same. Can you create a signature listing your hardware so it's easy for me/others to help you without trudging through previous posts to find the info?

I know it's frustrating, but it can be done :)

Thanks, I appreciate it. What's frustrating is that the hack WAS working fine, and then somewhere along the way the sleep thing started getting buggy. Two reinstalls later, following the guide you created (which is great, btw), yet the problem persists. As for owning a real mac, I have 3 already, along with an assortment of ipods. This machine i'm working on was first intended to house a bunch of hard drives currently in USB enclosures. As I researched a bit more, I decided to buy hardware (see below) that has had good results running OS X. This is a headless machine (well, hooked up to my bedroom HDTV), really intended to house my drives and media (and respective backups). If I can have a nicely running hack that plays nice with all of the real macs in the house then great... if not I'll just lay up and go with Ubuntu, which hopefully won't be as much effort to get running and maintain.

I do want to get this working though, and appreciate the effort everyone puts in on this board. Below are the specs of my current hardware config. Again, any thoughts are welcomed and appreciated.

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Celeron E3200 Wolfdale 2.4GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E3200

MSI N8400GS-TD256 GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ

Thermaltake Element T VK90001N2Z Black SECC/Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC

I do want to get this working though, and appreciate the effort everyone puts in on this board. Below are the specs of my current hardware config. Again, any thoughts are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks for posting your hardware list, now all you need to do is add a simplified version to a signature by clicking on the cog icon above your login name in the blue bar near the top of the screen, then in the next windows, click 'Edit Signature' for the left edge.

What puzzles me about your problem is you mention 'sleep started getting buggy'. It either works or it doesn't and if it did, then you must have added something to your system to break sleep. One way to test it is by testing sleep on your fresh backup install. Did you install another coy of Snow Leopard on to your backup partition?

Thanks for posting your hardware list, now all you need to do is add a simplified version to a signature by clicking on the cog icon above your login name in the blue bar near the top of the screen, then in the next windows, click 'Edit Signature' for the left edge.

What puzzles me about your problem is you mention 'sleep started getting buggy'. It either works or it doesn't and if it did, then you must have added something to your system to break sleep. One way to test it is by testing sleep on your fresh backup install. Did you install another coy of Snow Leopard on to your backup partition?

Ok sig done. Let me know if more details should be added.

Did some casual testing last night, tried reinstalling the realtek fixes in your support files (as Wake-on-Lan was also iffy -- wasn't sure if that was part of the problem). Here's what I found:

Sleep was working consistently, with Wake-On-Lan, using the Realtek Bonjour fix, for most of the night. Computer would sleep and I could wake via my iPod Touch, iMac, Macbook and locally by hitting the mouse/keyboard. Let the computer sleep and when I woke up this morning it had powered off. Very strange!

As for my install, I basically followed your guide, updated the bootloader with Asere's files, etc. Installations after the system install included:

VLC

Handbrake

Fairmount

Scripts for automated DVD backup with Handbrake, Fairmount & VLC

Boxee Beta

Plex

Air Mouse Server (so I can wirelessly control system from my iPod Touch)

Enabled VNC Control with password in Sharing prefs

I believe that's everything. I did not do a second install to another partition. Do you think I should try yet another clean install, then forego all of the apps above, just to see if the sleep issues still exist? If so then I can rule out the possibility that any of those apps are causing a problem.

Also, any concern installing my boot files to the EFI partition, vs a separate Cham partition? I have been using the EFI partition but could there be issues due to the permissions that are set for EFI? Again, I'm at a total loss so I'm just thinking aloud.

If this can't be resolved then I guess my choices are

1) just disable sleep, which is probably the most practical, especially given that this is meant to be a file server, and sleeping (at least during the hours when we're up using the machine) probably doesn't make any sense, or

2) attempt the Ubuntu install and see how that goes

Really my concern isn't so much with the sleep issue, it's with the computer turning itself off. I can deal with it not sleeping properly, but I don't need the server turning off at random, especially if i'm running backup jobs or doing work with my family photos, videos, etc. It's really a stability issue more than a sleep issue.

Thanks again for the help!

Ok sig done. Let me know if more details should be added.

Good job ;)

Did some casual testing last night, tried reinstalling the realtek fixes in your support files (as Wake-on-Lan was also iffy -- wasn't sure if that was part of the problem). Here's what I found:

Sleep was working consistently, with Wake-On-Lan, using the Realtek Bonjour fix, for most of the night. Computer would sleep and I could wake via my iPod Touch, iMac, Macbook and locally by hitting the mouse/keyboard. Let the computer sleep and when I woke up this morning it had powered off. Very strange!

So your system works well then, other than this one issue which I think Titan4 has also. I have to ask, you've definitely not set a scheduled shutdown?

As for my install, I basically followed your guide, updated the bootloader with Asere's files, etc.

That's good.

I believe that's everything. I did not do a second install to another partition. Do you think I should try yet another clean install, then forego all of the apps above, just to see if the sleep issues still exist? If so then I can rule out the possibility that any of those apps are causing a problem.

I recommend a second install to another partition in my guide to help as a backup. You can use it to test Apple Updates before applying them to your main install, just on the odd chance something goes wrong. I leave mine as a base system with just all the Apple updates applied. You could in this case also have used it to test whether that system dies after a long period of sleep. Then you know it's not something you've added.

Also, any concern installing my boot files to the EFI partition, vs a separate Cham partition? I have been using the EFI partition but could there be issues due to the permissions that are set for EFI? Again, I'm at a total loss so I'm just thinking aloud.

Installing on the EFI partition shouldn't be any different, other than honouring ownership/permissions.

If this can't be resolved then I guess my choices are

1) just disable sleep, which is probably the most practical, especially given that this is meant to be a file server, and sleeping (at least during the hours when we're up using the machine) probably doesn't make any sense, or

2) attempt the Ubuntu install and see how that goes

1 - I agree.

2- That's up to you, but if you're only using it as a headless file server, then why not?

Really my concern isn't so much with the sleep issue, it's with the computer turning itself off. I can deal with it not sleeping properly, but I don't need the server turning off at random, especially if i'm running backup jobs or doing work with my family photos, videos, etc. It's really a stability issue more than a sleep issue.

I understand your concern about your machine powering off during a long period of sleep, and if it was happening to me then I would also be wanting to find an answer. But from what you've told me, you have a great system with only one issue (albeit an annoying one) which unfortunately I don't know why. Hopefully somebody else here with your motherboard can throw some light on this for you. I will keep an ear out for anybody else with the same issue and point you to a fix if I find one.

So your system works well then, other than this one issue which I think Titan4 has also. I have to ask, you've definitely not set a scheduled shutdown?

Not intentionally. I'm going to check the settings in SL as well as my BIOS to see what's up. Any issues with the BIOS settings to power on computer using mouse or keyboard? I remember seeing those, but wonder if they should be disabled or if it doesn't matter.

I recommend a second install to another partition in my guide to help as a backup. You can use it to test Apple Updates before applying them to your main install, just on the odd chance something goes wrong. I leave mine as a base system with just all the Apple updates applied. You could in this case also have used it to test whether that system dies after a long period of sleep. Then you know it's not something you've added.

I'm going to give this a go, maybe tonight, and then boot to this new, clean install (sans other programs) and see if the sleep issue persists.

Regarding the headless file server, that is job #1 for this machine. However, given it's location (in our bedroom near a 37" 1080p Samsung tv, it's hard not to be tempted to run some sort of media server, be in Front Row, Plex, Boxee, XBMC, etc) just to have the option to access all of my media at night when relaxing in bed. Again, not job #1, but hard to ignore when I seem so close to having it working.

I'll keep you posted following the second, clean install.

Thx again,

Mike

So blackosx I found reason to my sleep/wake issues. Well not reason, but way how to make it fail :P You can try it too, but I somehow think it may be Apple Keyboard related. It is really funny however :)

1. Go to sleep. I usually use combination cmd+alt+eject, but it does so even with apple->Sleep menu

2. Now press some keys on keyboard until it really sleeps. I am not sure if one is enough, but if I press keys randomly until it goes to sleep I had 100% "success"

3. It goes to sleep and won't wake :)

I tried it multiple times so I am sure it is reason of these fails, because when I didn't touched my keyboard when going to sleep it wakes fine everytime, when I did it fails everytime. Still funny :D

So blackosx I found reason to my sleep/wake issues. Well not reason, but way how to make it fail :P You can try it too, but I somehow think it may be Apple Keyboard related. It is really funny however :)

1. Go to sleep. I usually use combination cmd+alt+eject, but it does so even with apple->Sleep menu

2. Now press some keys on keyboard until it really sleeps. I am not sure if one is enough, but if I press keys randomly until it goes to sleep I had 100% "success"

I tried it multiple times so I am sure it is reason of these fails, because when I didn't touched my keyboard when going to sleep it wakes fine everytime, when I did it fails everytime. Still funny :shock:

I can actually duplicate some of that behaviour, I just never have had any reason to mess with keyboard while system is going to sleep :D My system does almost the same but instead of not waking up it reboots when I press power button.

How did you ever get to discover that? :)

I can confirm this has the same effect on my system too. Why this happens, I don't know? but I never have pressed keys as my system goes to sleep and I probably won't do again. But out of curiosity I will try this tomorrow on my PowerMac at work to see if it happens in that too...

First I'd like to say thank you to blackosx for sharing his hard work. The guides are very detailed and helpful.

I presently have two issues I haven't been able to resolve. Mostly because I'm new to this and don't understand the different methods, nor how to implement them.

1. I followed blackosx's guide "Part 1 - Preparation - v1.1" which detailed creating various partitions on a single HD (disk0). No problems, install went well. I have a 2nd HD (disk1) which I've installed Windows 7. After installing Windows 7, it boots in straight away. I've looked at several solutions, but they have been for single HD without blackos's partition settings. I don't know what needs to be done in OSX Terminal (or any other solution) to allow Chameleon to load.

2. Also I have a Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT (1GB) to get configured. Again, I've looked at various solutions and don't know how to implement them. Since I installed Windows 7, I've only been able to access SL with the bootCD. I'm assuming the bootCD is loading a basic setup to gain access to OSX. So any changes I will make to the video won't be viewable until I fix my booting (Chameleon) troubles.

Any advice or solutions will be greatly appreciated.

Try OrangeIconFix.kext from Support Pack

I don't have orange icons. I already have that kext. Thanks for the suggestion though.

It appeasr normal, it just says its an external disk in disk utility.

but the DVD+/-RW is internal o.O?

First I'd like to say thank you to blackosx for sharing his hard work. The guides are very detailed and helpful.

I presently have two issues I haven't been able to resolve. Mostly because I'm new to this and don't understand the different methods, nor how to implement them.

1. I followed blackosx's guide "Part 1 - Preparation - v1.1" which detailed creating various partitions on a single HD (disk0). No problems, install went well. I have a 2nd HD (disk1) which I've installed Windows 7. After installing Windows 7, it boots in straight away. I've looked at several solutions, but they have been for single HD without blackos's partition settings. I don't know what needs to be done in OSX Terminal (or any other solution) to allow Chameleon to load.

2. Also I have a Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT (1GB) to get configured. Again, I've looked at various solutions and don't know how to implement them. Since I installed Windows 7, I've only been able to access SL with the bootCD. I'm assuming the bootCD is loading a basic setup to gain access to OSX. So any changes I will make to the video won't be viewable until I fix my booting (Chameleon) troubles.

Any advice or solutions will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Zozat :)

1. The easiest solution is to change the default drive in BIOS to your OS X HDD with Chameleon installed on it. Then Chameleon will you to choose which to boot in to.

2. The 'GraphicsEnabler=Y' boot option should be in the com.apple.Boot.plist in the Support Files so that should hopefully get your video card up and running.

I don't have orange icons. I already have that kext. Thanks for the suggestion though.

It appeasr normal, it just says its an external disk in disk utility.

but the DVD+/-RW is internal o.O?

Do you remember this?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1341720

Our motherboard supports the hot-plug feature of ICH10 and the older fix disabled it. It is believed the best option is to have it as we have now, which is to leave it as it should be but OS X see's the drives as external so the orangeiconfix.kext just changes the icons back to normal. You will also see eject icons in the sidebar of the Finder windows, next to any non-system drives you have.

How did you ever get to discover that? :P

Well I wanted to go to sleep so I pressed shortcut for sleep, but realized that I forgot something, so I started to bash keys in hope that it would stop sleeping :D After that I realized that it can be a reason to my problem and tried it few times to confirm that.

Well I wanted to go to sleep so I pressed shortcut for sleep, but realized that I forgot something, so I started to bash keys in hope that it would stop sleeping :P After that I realized that it can be a reason to my problem and tried it few times to confirm that.

I understand now. Lol

But it's still an interesting discovery.

I have tried it on my PowerMac G5 here at work and that gracefully completes the sleep procedure (even though I have typed on the keyboard), pauses for a couple of seconds, then wakes back up.

I understand now. Lol

But it's still an interesting discovery.

I have tried it on my PowerMac G5 here at work and that gracefully completes the sleep procedure (even though I have typed on the keyboard), pauses for a couple of seconds, then wakes back up.

This issue is interesting, I reckon the sleep/wake is not 100% reliable. I have on several occasions found that I could not wake my hack from a normal auto sleep cycle (similar to reported above), in fact I haven't managed to have an uptime greater than 6 days so far. What's your best uptime so far guys?

Here's another interesting finding, perhaps someone on this board could confirm this: Let or make your machine sleep, then wake it from LAN (use a Wake on LAN application from another machine). It will wake up fine. However the next time it sleeps you will not be able to wake your hack again... I wonder if this is related.

Any thoughts?

Hi Zozat ;)

1. The easiest solution is to change the default drive in BIOS to your OS X HDD with Chameleon installed on it. Then Chameleon will you to choose which to boot in to.

2. The 'GraphicsEnabler=Y' boot option should be in the com.apple.Boot.plist in the Support Files so that should hopefully get your video card up and running.

Do you remember this?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1341720

Our motherboard supports the hot-plug feature of ICH10 and the older fix disabled it. It is believed the best option is to have it as we have now, which is to leave it as it should be but OS X see's the drives as external so the orangeiconfix.kext just changes the icons back to normal. You will also see eject icons in the sidebar of the Finder windows, next to any non-system drives you have.

Didn't work. It boots and stops because the BOOTMGR is missing.

Blackosx,

Yes I remember haha I was asking you about the ESB vs the KEXT fix.

I thought the kext got rid of the icons and displayed internal.

nothing bad, i was just wondering.

still works magnicently. ive been using it as my primary OS now for a while.

Didn't work. It boots and stops because the BOOTMGR is missing.

You did say before that Windows7 booted straightaway and now it won't boot because you have changed only the drive order in BIOS?

I have had that before when messing with installing Windows7 on a different partition the same HDD, and I solved that by making sure there was only one HDD plugged in to the motherboard and re-installed Windows7 on the remaining single drive. Having more than one HDD connected confused the Windows installer and it created the bootBCD of the wrong disk, so only having a single HDD will sort it.

There's probably a straightforward method to fix that but it's Windows specifc and I don't know what it could be. Best best is to google an answer or re-install using a single drive connected as above.