[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Hi, I`m just wondering, Do you think that I can install Os X (snow Leopard) on a computer with these Specs:

Silver Power SP-SS500, 500W PSU ATX 12V V2.2,

Intel® Core™2 Duo E7500 2,93GHz Socket LGA775

Corsair TWIN2X PC6400 DDR2 4GB KIT CL5 Kit

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR,

Gainward GeForce GTS 250 512MB

Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM?

And, (sorry for beeing newbi) Can I buy OS X snow leopard from the apple store and build it from scratch?

Edited by Zoughe

Updated to 10.6.4 and everything's OK ;)

Blackosx, thanx again for the new version of AppleHDA :queen:

Hi, I`m just wondering, Do you think that I can install Os X (snow Leopard) on a computer with these Specs:

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR,

And, (sorry for beeing newbi) Can I buy OS X snow leopard from the apple store and build it from scratch?

IMHO, you can have a successfully running OS X with the above listed hardware.

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR,

The GA-EP45-UD3LR motherboard matches the same specs as the GA-EP45-DS3L that this guide was written for. So you should have little problem using this guide to install Snow Leopard. Yes buy a new retail Snow Leopard Install disk to make installing easy and problem free and to support Apple.

Best of Luck!

The GA-EP45-UD3LR motherboard matches the same specs as the GA-EP45-DS3L that this guide was written for. So you should have little problem using this guide to install Snow Leopard. Yes buy a new retail Snow Leopard Install disk to make installing easy and problem free and to support Apple.

Best of Luck!

okay, but will I hopefully get a fully functional OS X?

And will the installation require any experience from programming? I don`t know anything about programming so :)

IMHO, you can have a successfully running OS X with the above listed hardware.

Okay, Thanks for fast answers :P

okay, but will I hopefully get a fully functional OS X?

And will the installation require any experience from programming? I don`t know anything about programming so

OS X will run better on a Hackintosh than a real Mac. So yes OS X will be fully functionally on your build.

Opps you can't run Boot Camp, but VMware Fusion and Parallels will run Windows.

No programming required.

Opps you can't run Boot Camp, but VMware Fusion and Parallels will run Windows.

I have actually thought about having both Windows 7 and OS X installed and then when you start the computer you can choose if you wanna run OS X or Windows. but you don`t recommend to do that? instead I should use VMware Fusion or Parallels? or did I just misunderstand it? (My english suxs)

Hello blackosx,

I followed your guide and got one perfect hackintosh, thanks very much.

When I updated my snow leopard from 10.6.2 -> 10.6.3, the audio failed to work, and I just copied the original 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext from my time machine disk, successfully got it working again.

And today, I updated my 10.6.3 sl to 10.6.4, forgetting backup the old AppleHDA.kext(my time machine disk crashed earlier :D). so silence in my mac...

So I tried the new way: download your patched kext, put it in /S/L/E, fix permission by using DiskUtil.app, also removed the LegacyHDA.kext from /E/E, reboot using -f, but no luck...

I also tried running sudo kextload AppleHDA.kext , and there's no error message poping up..

any ideas about this?

10.6.4 Update is out (Thanks for the post Z4g0r) :)

I have just downloaded and updated to 10.6.4 using the Combo Updater (I have more than one system to update) from Apple.

SleepEnabler

If you're still using NUllCPUPowerManagement.kext and therefore SleepEnabler.kext you will need to remove SleepEnabler.kext from /Extra/Extensions before updating. I don't use it so updating is straightforward for me. As always, have a read about for any other info concerning video cards etc. but for my 8800GT, there are no issues whatsoever.

Audio

I have just amended the 10.6.4 AppleHDA.kext for us and attached it here. All I have done with this is edited the AppleHDA binary inside the kext and changed the four occurences of 85 08 EC 10 with 88 08 EC 10 (as described in the previous 10.6.3 update post), then replaced the info.plist inside AppleHDAPlatformDriver from tmongkols 10.6.3 AppleHDA (which allows us to run without LegacyHDA.kext in E/E). You can install it in to /S/L/E as I described in the previously mentioned 10.6.3 update post. I don't know if this is the best solution but it works and I'll keep my eye on tmongkol's thread to see if he releases anything different.

EDIT: This is a revised AppleHDA.kext I have made and the headphones now work. (The first one I posted last night, didn't include the updates to the AppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext. Apologies for any confusion/hassle)

10.6.4_Amended_AppleHDA_for_ALC888_v2.zip

Bonjour

If you have used the RealtekR1000SL.kext method in /Extra/Extensions you will need to re-do that too (again see the previously posted link to the 10.6.3 update for details).

But it's late and I am going to bed. So I recommend reading and applying this update to your backup installs first to double check everything with your own hardware. But if anybody's unsure about anything then wait for everyone else to do it and see what gets reported. But otherwise, please report your success or issues that you find.

Good luck everybody and see you in the morning. :)

Hi sly9 - I have to check as I don't know what hardware you're using. Are you using the EP45-DS3L? as the patched AppleHDA.kext works great on that. If you are using the same board then we need to double check you've installed it correctly.

So just to quote from the previous 10.6.3 post, the install procedure was as follows (but now it's for 10.6.4):

To add the replacement AppleHDA.kext to /System/Library/Extensions:

Using the Finder, copy the original 10.6.3 AppleHDA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions by dragging it somewhere safe. Then delete that 10.6.3 AppleHDA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions by dragging it to the bin (you'll need to authenticate with your password).

Then put the new patched AppleHDA.kext on your desktop, load up Terminal and do something like this:

cd ~/Desktop

sudo -s

cp -R AppleHDA.kext /System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

exit

If you want, you can then load Disk Utility and repair permissions just to make sure everything is set right.

Then reboot, and the system will update the caches.

+1 for usb headset, and usb audio devices in general. A simple usb sound card can be had for ~$2 and work OOB with OS X. It can remove the need for onboard, and no more issues when updating. Lastly, it does decrease boot time significantly ;-) when you disable onboard in BIOS.

The only issue of course is if you want surround sound, which in itself is a whole other issue, even with onboard I believe.

Just a quick OT post..but the InsanelyMac search function is operating again.. This will come in handy for anyone looking for a particular issue that most probably has already been discussed in the many pages of this thread.

Relevant to EnzoFX's last post, I've just tested it by searching this thread for 'surround'.

Happy searching :)

I use a Logitech Quickcall USB Speakerphone.

Don't have to install anything. Worked right out of the box.

Gives great sound and works great with Skype.

Have never had a problem with it and I've had it for over 5 years. Works in all

versions of Windows also. Haven't tried it yet on Ubuntu

Can get it at Amazon for 9.49.

Here's a link http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980440-1403...e/dp/B000J1F154

I like it because I don't have to wear a headset and all calls are hands free.

I finally made the jump over to the 10.6.3 install using the BootCD that was provided in the walkthrough. As always, your walkthroughs are the best and I have been able to get it installed and up and running very quickly. That being said, I am having a few issues with my install that I am just at a loss for understanding.

1. Kernel Panics at random times

2. Entire system will freeze (especially having problems on YouTube with KP and system freezes) and I won't be able to do anything but restart

The KP are not producing panic.log files so I can't track what is happening but in Verbose mode, I was able to see that I was getting errors like:

BSD process name corresponding to current thread:google chrome

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: webkit...

Not much else in there except about a 14 error at the top of the KP. Anyway, I have the same equipment except for the video card which I have a 9800GT currently. My processor is a 2.5 GHz Intel Q8300 processor, memory is 2 2 GB sticks of DD2, GA-EP45-DS3L motherboard, sata hard drive and sata dvd burner with microsoft 4000 keyboard / mouse. That is everything that is in there so the only thing I can think of would be the video card but I'm not sure where / how to troubleshoot.

I started from scratch with this install since I was having some issues prior as well and hoped it would resolve itself. The only kext I have installed are the required ones and the Orange light as well and I have not done any custom modifications to the dsdt.aml file or the com.apple file. Any help would be appreciated...is there a way to know if it is possibly the memory causing issues?

Just got a KP and the details are as follows:

panic (cpu 2 caller 0x2a8ac2): Kernel trap at 0x00225567, type 14=page fault, registers:...

Error code: 0x00000002

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace (CPU 2), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

Unaligned frame

Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0x551a3da9

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: WindowServer

Mac OS version:

10D575

Kernel Version:

Darwin Kernel Version 10.3.0: Fri Feb 26 11:58:09 PST 2010; root:xnu-1504.3.12~1/RELEASE_I386

System model name: MacPro3,1

System uptime in nanoseconds: 428486805641

On a side note, I deleted my SMBIOS.plist just to see if that helped because I saw that in my searching. It seemed to help a bit as this was the first KP I have gotten since doing that a few hours ago.

Thanks blackosx, yes I'm using Gigabyte EP45-DS3L, and I've read the 10.6.3 post already, it's quite simple, and I've followed those steps, but still no luck :unsure:

probably I've missed some steps during the installation? is there a "checklist" for me to check?

like:

1. remove the old LegacyHDA.kext from /E/E <--- done

2. replace the AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E with the pacthed one <--- done

3. fix permissions either in console or in disk utility <--- done

4. restart with -f <--- done

Am I missing anything?

Thanks again~

Hi sly9 - I have to check as I don't know what hardware you're using. Are you using the EP45-DS3L? as the patched AppleHDA.kext works great on that. If you are using the same board then we need to double check you've installed it correctly.

So just to quote from the previous 10.6.3 post, the install procedure was as follows (but now it's for 10.6.4):

I finally made the jump over to the 10.6.3 install using the BootCD that was provided in the walkthrough. As always, your walkthroughs are the best and I have been able to get it installed and up and running very quickly. That being said, I am having a few issues with my install that I am just at a loss for understanding.

1. Kernel Panics at random times

2. Entire system will freeze (especially having problems on YouTube with KP and system freezes) and I won't be able to do anything but restart

Hi jp9219

Random freezes and Kernel Panics used to be common when we were first installing Snow Leopard with the OSInstall.mpkg method but since we can now install direct from the retail DVD, those system related problems have all gone away.

Have you tried booting from the retail DVD and running repair permissions from disk utilty?

Does Windows run perfectly on your machine? and if so, have you tried running memtest?

You mention webkit... Does that seem to be pattern with your crashes?

You could try booting with only the dsdt.aml and fakesmc.kext to see if that makes a difference?

But other than that, I don't know. You have pretty much the same setup as me.

Thanks blackosx, yes I'm using Gigabyte EP45-DS3L, and I've read the 10.6.3 post already, it's quite simple, and I've followed those steps, but still no luck :)

probably I've missed some steps during the installation? is there a "checklist" for me to check?

4. restart with -f <--- done

Why are you doing that?

Maybe try installing the patched AppleHDA from the support files, setting the root:wheel ownership with 755 permissions, and rebooting without running diskutility?.. as I don't bother running it.

Hi, blackosx

I tried many times, and at last managed to make audio work.

I tried to delete the old kext, put the new one, fix permissions, but none of them are working for me. and at last I delete the old kext, rebooted, and copied the new kext to /S/L/E, fixed permissions, at first there's still no luck, however when I was trying to grep some log from /var/log, the speaker icon on the status bar resumed black! it's working!

though I'm not sure the "reboot without AppleHDA.kext" is the key to solve this problem, it's still a possible way... hope this can help others

:( thanks anyway

Hi jp9219

Random freezes and Kernel Panics used to be common when we were first installing Snow Leopard with the OSInstall.mpkg method but since we can now install direct from the retail DVD, those system related problems have all gone away.

Have you tried booting from the retail DVD and running repair permissions from disk utilty?

Does Windows run perfectly on your machine? and if so, have you tried running memtest?

You mention webkit... Does that seem to be pattern with your crashes?

You could try booting with only the dsdt.aml and fakesmc.kext to see if that makes a difference?

But other than that, I don't know. You have pretty much the same setup as me.

Why are you doing that?

Maybe try installing the patched AppleHDA from the support files, setting the root:wheel ownership with 755 permissions, and rebooting without running diskutility?.. as I don't bother running it.

Well done for sorting your issue...

The only other thing I have thought of would be after adding the patched AppleHDA.kext to /S/L/E and setting ownership/permissions is to manually rebuild the cache before rebooting with the following command (all one line):

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

Well it appears that my problem may have had to do with the 1 and 3 slots in my motherboard. I was able to boot into Windows and I ran Memtest and it reported problems. I then took 1 module out at a time and ran again and didn't get any errors with the ram in just 1 then with the ram in just 3. However, when I combined 1 and 3 back again and ran Memtest again, I ended up with errors. I moved the ram to 2 and 4 and ran Memtest without any errors so I left it in that position and then rebooted into SnowLeopard. It appears that it is doing better as of this evening but we will see longterm what is happening.

I have no idea how to troubleshoot what is wrong with 1 and 3 but as long as 2 and 4 are working, I'm not going to give it too much thought. Thanks for the idea to run Memtest because I hadn't thought of that one yet obviously!

Thanks again! If you have any thoughts on what may be causing 1 and 3 to be a problem, I'd be interested although as long as it is working now, I'm not going to be complaining!

Well done for sorting your issue...

The only other thing I have thought of would be after adding the patched AppleHDA.kext to /S/L/E and setting ownership/permissions is to manually rebuild the cache before rebooting with the following command (all one line):

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

mine wasn't working either with just copying over the AppleHDA.kext and fixing owner/permissions until i did this (via the code above).

Thanks!

Thanks for reporting it makes the difference bzztbomb. It's funny, but I haven't been using it when replacing the AppleHDA.kext and relied on the system rebuilding the kextcache when rebooting which seemed sufficient for me. But that command is a common one for rebuilding the kextcache and is in tmongkol's 'how-to' for adding the audio.. So let's make that part of the process for this thread too.

I'll update the previous post/instructions. ;)

@ Blackosx

What stands "Device (PCIB)" in your generic DSDT.aml for ?

Edit: Ok... I got it

I can't find ADR 0x00190000 Device (IGBE) doing lspci. What is that for ? And can i safely remove this entry since i don't have it ?

Hi,

I am a noob in this hobby, still reading and learning. I have the EP45-DS3L MB with quad 6600 cpu. Do I have to have SATA dvd rom (only have ide)? when you say retail snow leopard DVD, do you mean upgrade version ($29.00 dvd?). I have an dmg. image named snowleopard_10A432_userdvd, is it the same as retail upgrade SL dvd? or do i need to get it to work properly? Thirdly I do not have access to a mac, how to burn the dmg image to SL dvd ( i am searching now)?

Thanks

Tripple boot question.

I have a dual booting Studio 14z with 10.6.3 and Windows 7. But my partition setup is

1) cham

2) Leopard

3) Windows

4) Backup (intended for backup booting Leopard).

But chameleon only shows hackintosh and windows 7 if I boot from Internal Harddrive. If I boot from my Installer USB drive, I see all partitions on both drives.