[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Before I switched to using Cartri's BIOS, I was using the Gigabyte BIOS F11c with the DSDT.aml

blackosx, is there any advantage of using Cartri's BIOS over the Gigabyte's one? I'm running F11c at the moment.

Tried 4 more different Boot 132 CD with no success.

It's totally baffled me, because I've never had a problem getting them to boot before.

Swapped SATA inputs, swapped out a different Video card, tried different combinations of BIOS settings with no luck.

I'm at my wits end here.

I'm just about ready to plunk down some dough for a new mobo. Short of any fixes, got any suggestions for a board? 45-ds3l is this guide is discontinued. Would it be worthwhile to get one on Carti's list?

In general CyCLoBoT, you would use less kexts and probably boot a bit quicker (On my hardware anyway).

That's sounds like a good thing. Do you by any chance know which kexts would not be needed after flashing the BIOS? Do I have to modify anything else in the system?

Hello again, BlackOSX.

If you recall, I was the one with the issues on using an HD telivision with 10.6.2 via DVI to HDMI adapter.

After I updated to 10.6.3, I am back to the same issue. And replacing the kexts with the 10.6.1 kexts NVDANV40HAL.kext, NVDANV50HAL.kext and NVDAResman.kext worked to an extent.

I get display, but I no longer have QE/CI enabled and can't seem to get them going again.

I have tried placing in my DeviceID into the kexts as reccomended on some sites, but no change.

I can revert back to 10.6.2, but would very much like to have 10.6.3 going. The "Updates now available" thing is annoying and knowing I can't use them.

If anyone has any reccomendations or solutions to this problem, please post them.

I am currently running with a 9800GTX+ on the EP45 DS3L board.

Off subjext, I have been using Catri's custom bios for my board removing the need for the DSDT file.

I have been very happy with that and look forward to any updates he may have.

Thanks in advance for any response.

It's totally baffled me, because I've never had a problem getting them to boot before.

Swapped SATA inputs, swapped out a different Video card, tried different combinations of BIOS settings with no luck.

I'm at my wits end here.

I'm just about ready to plunk down some dough for a new mobo. Short of any fixes, got any suggestions for a board? 45-ds3l is this guide is discontinued. Would it be worthwhile to get one on Carti's list?

I had the same problem with the original Boot cd from the original guide. I downloaded the Boot CD ISO and burned it from the current guide and it boots correctly.

I then used the Chameleon loader app from the 1.6.1 version to create a new Cham partition

and I was able to boot from the new Cham partition. Like you I made several attemempts to follow the current guide here and all I got was the blinking cursor. After using the Chameleon app everything worked correctly.

Just updated to 10.6.3 even though jubal81 had me a little worried =P, also on a P35-DS3L here.

Since I no longer use onboard audio (disabled in BIOS), I've removed LegacyHDA.kext, even though it's still injected in the dsdt.

Mainly I updated to see if it could fix my strange issue I get every week or so where the system just hangs. I always notice it in Firefox first, but that's probably just because it's the most used app =P. Could it be a memory leak? I don't know what the symptoms would be. heh

Just updated to 10.6.3 even though jubal81 had me a little worried =P, also on a P35-DS3L here.

I don't know what it was, but I really ticked off the Hackintosh gods.

3 more ISOs and a couple hours trying to get USB stick to boot my SL disk. Not even close. Same board, same settings, same hardware. Just won't work.

Freaky enough, got a $10 off coupon from Newegg today. Coincidence?

Any opinions on the UD3L? 43 & 45 available for $10 price difference ...

After trying many different things to get my Cham partition on my backup drive to boot I went back to the Support Files For SL Instalk V1.6 and ran Chameleon-2.0-rc2-r640 against my backup drives Cham partition.

I then followed the read me in the Chameleon RC3 boot file folder and in essence copied the boot file from there to my backup drives Cham partition using terminal as per instructions.

.../snip/...

Hope this helps others who are having a problem with the support files in V1.3.3

Hi snifferpro

Good job making a backup of your system, but just to clear up here..

When you created your cham partition on the new HDD, you still need to follow the steps shown in 'Part 3' PDF to install the Chameleon files to it: boot0 to the new HDD's MBR and boot1h to the Cham partition. Just copying over the Extra folder only adds the files you see and not the boot0 and boot1h files. So for that the files in the Support Files are exactly what you need so you don't need to use the much older RC2 installer or an RC3 boot file.

I'm at my wits end here.

Very strange.. Can you boot into a Windows CD or a Linux CD?

Thanks for the guide. Installed 10.6.0 and updated to 10.6.3 with it. So much easier than when I last tried it out a few years ago!

Maybe the guide should include a bit about carti's bios too?

Hi thisisglen

Thanks for your feedback about this install.

But before going through what's needed for using Cartri's BIOS it's important to remember, that the install guide in this thread, the one you've done and using right now, is a fantastic setup and if you want, you can run 10.6.3 with only fakesmc.kext in /Extra/Extensions. So the myth about only Cartri's BIOS allows us to run with less kexts is wrong.

I haven't included anything in the install guides about Cartri's BIOS as once anyone has mastered this install, then adapting it for after flashing with Cartri's BIOS is easy and the general steps would be:

• Remove the DSDT.aml from /Extra.

• If you chose to use NullCPUPowerManagemet.kext & SleepEnabler.kext in /E/E, then remove them.

• Keeping the OrangeIconFix is up to you as it's purely cosmetic. I choose to run without it.

• Downgrade to Chameleon v2 RC4 r684

• Add Superhai's VoodooPowerMini.kext (now at v1.2.7) to /S/L/E to enable stepping to your CPU.

blackosx, is there any advantage of using Cartri's BIOS over the Gigabyte's one? I'm running F11c at the moment.

Hi CyCLoBoT -

See above.

But to be honest if your current system using BIOS F11c is working great for you then no. There's nothing that a current version of Cartri's BIOS offers that you don't already have. And if you use a speedstep solution in your current DSDT then switching to Cartri's BIOS means you'll lose that and the benefit of C-states (idle states) which give you lower CPU temps.

That's not to say that the situation won't change. Cartri is working hard to add more features to the BIOS and maybe soon there will be a few new features which will make it better.

Hello again, BlackOSX.

If you recall, I was the one with the issues on using an HD telivision with 10.6.2 via DVI to HDMI adapter.

After I updated to 10.6.3, I am back to the same issue.

Hi Farshnowshkin

I am sorry, but I don't really know the answer to your problem. But if I had your setup, I would go back to the start with a default 10.6.3 install and the latest version Chameleon and get it working with a normal monitor first. Then progress to the DVI-HDMI step.

If Chameleon's device injection doesn't work for your video card, maybe look at using device (EFI) strings.

Since I no longer use onboard audio (disabled in BIOS), I've removed LegacyHDA.kext, even though it's still injected in the dsdt.

Mainly I updated to see if it could fix my strange issue I get every week or so where the system just hangs. I always notice it in Firefox first, but that's probably just because it's the most used app =P. Could it be a memory leak? I don't know what the symptoms would be. heh

Hi EnzoFX

10.6.3 works just great here, so there's not need to be worried. But you could have always updated your backup partition to 10.6.3 for testing before going live with your main install (you do have a backup partition?)

I know firefox is your favourite browser but could you try running without it for a week to see if you still experience a system hang? For a memory leak, you could run Activity Monitor and keep your eye on the memory usage of Firefox.

Hi Blackosx.

When I followed your Part 3 pdf to install Chameleon to my Cham partition all I get when I try to boot is a blinking cursor. I did the Part 3 exercise at least 5 times and every time I got the same results.

So I went back to the files I used back in September to build my hack and used the RC2 installer and I was then able to boot to any of my four SL partitions.

I noticed that using the installer there is no boot file in the root of Cham so I used Terminal to copy boot to the root as per your original (Sept) instructions. Step 4c of original instructions.

When you say boot0 to the drives MBR where exactly are we talking about. Isn't that part of the Cham partition?

If there is a new boot file in your current guide it appears it is causing Jubal81 and I the same issue.

I'd like to use and understand the newer Chameleon partition instructions, but using them on my hack does not work.

I'd be glad to go through the reinstall of the Cham partition on my backup drive and provide screen shots as I move along so you can check to see if I'm doing something wrong. Perhaps this would be helpful to others who run into this situation.

Wow. Good suggestion Black.

Posting this from newest Ubuntu live CD. Works great, but I did get 'installer encountered serious error' before it went to live mode. (not that I wanted to install it anyway).

With all the screwing around I'm doing, I feel better having a live CD.

One note: I'm still running the BIOS that came with the board, even though there's a newer version. It's worked fine, so I didn't want to flash since it's something I've never done before and the possibility of bricking the mobo always made me nervous. But even the boot CD I used before won't work now, so I think it's got to be something different.

hi,

today i installed Mac OS X with this Tutorial on my PC:

Core2 Quad Q6600

2Gb Corsair DDR2-800

Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R

Seagate HDD

Sound: Onboard and Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music

XFX 8800 GTX

all is working fine (OS, Chameleon, graphic card, already installed 10.6.3) but i don't have sound. Why it doesn't work? i have activated the onboard soundcard because there aren't drivers for the X-Fi yet.

now i use my "own" dsdt and i replaced applehda.kext for 3 or 4 times...with voodohda the sound doesn't work too.

I'm a totally Noob in using Mac OS X on a PC...(i didn't configure SMBIOS.plist i think it isn necessary which code my RAM have or?)

Sound option stands: There's no audio output available.

and one more question: os X has detected my webcam but only the microphone. is there a possibility to active the cam too? its a hercules blog webcam

sorry for my bad english..i'm still learning :)

EDIT:

now i can select an audio output in preferences and under system information is a "intel high definition audio"-device. but still no sound :) i use a applehda.kext installer from http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/03/mac...063-update.html

Interesting development.

During my latest attempt with a script-only boot-132, the leopard disk wouldn't load, then when I restarted, I got 3 mobo beeps, which I think mean bad memory.

The error I was getting with the other disks was:

No ramdisk config

Mounting: Done

I guess it's time to start pulling ram sticks? I have 4 1G sticks. Maybe one of them crapped out?

EDIT:

Whew, OK, more developments.

Successfully updated to latest bios. Nice not to have to wait for "ACHI loading ....."

Tested each of 4 RAM sticks alone ... all had the same result - error I've been seeing. But no more 3-beep messages. Just got that once

BTW, I'm typing this from an OLD Kalyway install on a backup harddrive. Really glad I kept it around. Seems to be working fine.

Hi Farshnowshkin

I am sorry, but I don't really know the answer to your problem. But if I had your setup, I would go back to the start with a default 10.6.3 install and the latest version Chameleon and get it working with a normal monitor first. Then progress to the DVI-HDMI step.

If Chameleon's device injection doesn't work for your video card, maybe look at using device (EFI) strings.

I have a fresh 10.6.3 install going with Asere's custom Chameleon.

I hate to say, but I do not fully understand his set/override NVCAP feature.

I may have placed the decice/vendor ID incorrectly into the com.apple.boot.plist.

As of now, this is what it looks like.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1680x1050x32</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>arch</key>

<string></string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>Default</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>2</string>

<key>NVCAP_0613</key>

<string>%30%78%30%36%31%33%30%78%31%30%44%45</string>

</dict>

</plist>

The decice ID is 0x0613 and the vendor id is 0x10DE.

I used the converter from http://centricle.com/tools/ascii-hex/

Do you see an error of any kind?

Also, I have the HDTV going right now, but the system is only using VESA graphics.

Thank you in advance for any response.

You have excelled yourself with this guide Blackosx.

It is not just the attention to detail and the painstaking compilation of the essential info/support files, but the real mastery is in the patient clear explanation of the process (both in your guide & follow up replies) which a novice can understand and follow with confidence.

Now that I decided to move up from Vanilla Leopard (a mere 30 page thread) to Vanilla Snow leopard,

well over 1/2m views! 140 pages! and still going strong. The attention is well deserved.

I have only completed the 10.6 install smoothly and have yet to upgrade further. I'll mosey through the thread over the next week or so.

When I followed your Part 3 pdf to install Chameleon to my Cham partition all I get when I try to boot is a blinking cursor. I did the Part 3 exercise at least 5 times and every time I got the same results.

../snip..

When you say boot0 to the drives MBR where exactly are we talking about. Isn't that part of the Cham partition?

Hi snifferpro

I guess you get the flashing cursor because boot0 isn't properly installed. Read this for more info on MBR.

If there is a new boot file in your current guide it appears it is causing Jubal81 and I the same issue. I'd like to use and understand the newer Chameleon partition instructions, but using them on my hack does not work.

If you think the boot file for Chameleon RC5 pre-release is causing you problems then try the manual install steps shown in 'Part 3' PDF but using the files from Chameleon RC4 instead.

I'd be glad to go through the reinstall of the Cham partition on my backup drive and provide screen shots as I move along so you can check to see if I'm doing something wrong. Perhaps this would be helpful to others who run into this situation.

All the details you need are in the 'Part 3' PDF. So as long as you correctly identify which disk you are installing to in the Terminal and issue the correct command using fdisk440 to install boot0 then you should be making progress. You could post screenshots if you like, and maybe start with the result of 'diskutil list' in Terminal and the fdisk440 command you are entering. Or maybe even post screenshots similar to the ones on page 2 of 'Part 3' PDF to show me the complete steps you are taking?

Posting this from newest Ubuntu live CD. Works great, but I did get 'installer encountered serious error' before it went to live mode. (not that I wanted to install it anyway).

No probs. I am happy you no longer feel the need to replace your motherboard :robot:

I got 3 mobo beeps, which I think mean bad memory.

../snip/..

I guess it's time to start pulling ram sticks? I have 4 1G sticks. Maybe one of them crapped out?

../snip/..

Successfully updated to latest bios. Nice not to have to wait for "ACHI loading ....."

Tested each of 4 RAM sticks alone ... all had the same result - error I've been seeing. But no more 3-beep messages.

Well done with the BIOS flash but at least you have found you may have an issue with your RAM..

If you have quick boot enabled in BIOS, you won't hear and beeps as I think it skips the initial checks.

Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R

all is working fine (OS, Chameleon, graphic card, already installed 10.6.3) but i don't have sound. Why it doesn't work?

../snip/..

now i use my "own" dsdt and i replaced applehda.kext for 3 or 4 times...with voodohda the sound doesn't work too.

Hi SilentDark

The general principle of this guide should work for most boards, as you've found, but specifics like audio need special attention depending on which audio chip you have. This guide is written specifically for the EP45-DS3L which you don't have and as a result I have ALC888 and you have ALC889a (which in all respect is better for 10.6.3).

You will need to check that you have got the right code for device (HDEF) in your DSDT. Best best is to find another thread for your motherboard and find out what they're doing for audio, then just apply that to your new install.

I have a fresh 10.6.3 install going with Asere's custom Chameleon.

I hate to say, but I do not fully understand his set/override NVCAP feature.

Hi Farshnowshkin, I have not looked at Asere's NVCAP override feature so at first glance I don't understand it either. So if you think that's the route you need to take then you're going to have to do some research.

You have excelled yourself with this guide Blackosx.

../snip/..

I have only completed the 10.6 install smoothly and have yet to upgrade further. I'll mosey through the thread over the next week or so.

Hi geithals.

Thanks and well done so far. Take you're time and you'll be fine.

Though, if you have any extra hardware to me then that's going to be up to you figure out how to add it.

sound works now.

i have downloaded a legacyhda889a.kext (a legacy for the 889a and 10.6(.3)) and i have installed hdaenabler (from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]...cant editing the dsdt..easier way i think xD) with the vanilla applehda.kext...now everything is working fine :worried_anim:

i try to activate the sound with vodoohda and (seperately) with a patched applehda for the 889a but this ways arent working...must reinstall the whole system xD

thanks to you for your very good tutorial, the only one i found which was easy to understand :)

edit:

one more question: is it possible to install bootcamp and windows now? or is it not possible because of the installed chameleon bootloader?

Can someone with a working DVD burner drive (ie: you have had zero problems actually *burning* DVDs on several occasions - if you have not tried it and you just *think* it works, that doesn't help me) tell me which SATA port they used ? I'm starting to wonder if that makes a difference...

Hi blackOSX, I folow your guide. I could boot from USB, but when I am on the installer, it couldn`t see any drive.

Do you know why?

Mine is GA-P35-DS3L and have a DSDT file for that mother. Help me please.

sound works now.

i try to activate the sound with vodoohda and (seperately) with a patched applehda for the 889a but this ways arent working...must reinstall the whole system xD

one more question: is it possible to install bootcamp and windows now? or is it not possible because of the installed chameleon bootloader?

• You should be able to have perfectly good sound without the need for VoodooHDA.

• Apple's bootcamp only works on real Mac's. Anyhow, why would you want to use it as you have a PC already? You can install Windows separately. - See 'Part 9' PDF.

Can someone with a working DVD burner drive (ie: you have had zero problems actually *burning* DVDs on several occasions - if you have not tried it and you just *think* it works, that doesn't help me) tell me which SATA port they used ? I'm starting to wonder if that makes a difference...

Not sure, as I am not on my hack, but I think I have:

1 x SATA HDD plugged in to port 0.

1 x SATA HDD plugged in to port 1.

1 x SATA DVD plugged in to port 4.

I will try to remember to check this evening.

Hi blackOSX, I folow your guide. I could boot from USB, but when I am on the installer, it couldn`t see any drive.

Do you know why?

Mine is GA-P35-DS3L and have a DSDT file for that mother. Help me please.

Have you SATA drives and AHCI turned on in BIOS?

Latest Update:

Ran Memtest with 0 errors.

Black, is there a chance you still have original Boot ISO from when you first started the guide? I know that one worked and I've had trouble before with versions of Chameleon higher than V2. Weird, I know, but that's the last one I know for sure worked.

EDIT:

PROBLEM SOLVED!

As soon as I unplugged my 2nd Hard Drive, boot CD came to life and 45 minutes later here I am running 10.6.3.

I have no idea why it made a difference this time, because I've installed with both plugged in before ...

Right now I'm just glad a maddening week is over and I have some program installing to do.

Thanks, guys

PROBLEM SOLVED!

As soon as I unplugged my 2nd Hard Drive, boot CD came to life and 45 minutes later here I am running 10.6.3.

Hi jubal81 - I am happy to hear you have figured out the cause of your problems. I will have to insert this little extra info as point 5 in the top pink section of 'Part 6 - Troubleshooting' PDF.

Blackosx;

I did some testing to try and narrow down the issue I'm having creating a backup

drive of my working SL 10.6.3. Using your latest guide and Support Files all I get when I boot to the new drive is a flashing cursor. I sent you a few posts regarding this and I

said I would do some more testing with screen images.

Attached is a PDF of how I tested with screen shots. If I'm doing something wrong

I'd appreciate your comments or suggestions.

Thanks

Backup_Creation.pdf