How-to Create a bootable ISO with Chameleon V2

sonotone

62 posts in this topic

I prefer where possible to use a free or shareware solution.

agreed, i just happen to have Toast handy

I am on version 9 to Toast and, so far, haven't needed to shell out for yet another expensive upgrade to version 10.

what's wrong with version 9? I burnt mine with 9.02 just fine

no need to upgrade, upgrading for the shake of upgrading is for consumers...

If anyone is up for the challenge of finding a working solution that doesn't inolve Toast, it would be great addition to Sonotone's exellent tutorial.

hmm not sure if i got you right...

are we troubleshooting bad writers or are we trying to find which apps behave as advertised on the hackintosh?

all of the apps that you tried could not burn an .iso successfully on the hackintosh?

trying to find apps which can burn this project either on a hack or the real thing. I have never before had problems burning ISOs. In my case the real thing is a non Intel PPC Mac Mini. My concern is that not everyone can afford Toast. Also, I am curious to know the whys.

I use NTI Dragon Burn on my PPC G3, G4, G5 and OSx86 Q6600..... :)

trying to find apps which can burn this project either on a hack or the real thing.

ah!

got confused cause you mentioned unreliable writer(s) in macmini, well let see...

sonotone's commands yield a standard, hybrid, bootable iso image, nothing exotic:

hdiutil  makehybrid -o new.iso newiso/ -iso -hfs -joliet -eltorito-boot  newiso/cdboot -no-emul-boot -hfs-volume-name "My Boot CD"  -joliet-volume-name "My Boot CD"

i own a this MacBook Pro, my wife owns this PowerBook G4 and I administer a small army of MacPros @work. I burned sonotone's .iso succecfully w/ any real Mac i tried using:

-Disk Utility

-Burn

-Toast (v9.02)

i burned the same .iso succecfully w/ the hackintosh using:

-Burn

-LiqiudCD

-Toast (v9.02)

In my case the real thing is a non Intel PPC Mac Mini.

nice little box, you mean the G4 version right? I used to take care of one (belonged to my wife) I was really impressed with it as I would give it weird duties @ times (like NFS shares between it and some big unix hosts) and it would stand up respectably.

My concern is that not everyone can afford Toast.

i appreciate this logic as well, especially since there are foss Apps that work reliably

Also, I am curious to know the whys.

it has to do with the whole picture i think:

- Real Macs come with (a finite number of) hardware that Apple develops/supports software/drivers for

- Generic hardware is a pc/MS game where an army of developers (tries to) support every piece of hardware on the planet

- 99.99% of the so called Burner Applications are just a graphical front-end to built-in tools. Some of these Apps (like Toast) include their own device drivers in addition to the ones included with MacOS.

- osX86 is based on generic hardware, hiccups are expected.

btw, if you're curious, you may find interesting the power of hdiutil and why if MacOS X recognizes the writer natively, Disk Utility is all you need.

hth

Are there any special requirements for the Preboot.dmg as regards:

Name: Preboot

Volume Size: 50 MB ?

Voulume Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Encryption: none

Partitions: Single partition - either MBR or GPT ?

Format: read/write disk image, or can you use a sparse bundle disk image instead?

Hi rocksteady, thank you for your thoughts! I have burned a couple more ISOs of the latest Gparted live CD friend using Disk Utility on the Mini without any bother, I have never had problems burning bootable ISOs before. What, I want to know is what is Toast doing that other burning apps are not? Sounds like it might be the third party drivers.

Edit. I have just discovered that ExpressBurn works where Burn and LiquidCD do not on my Mini. My eyebrows nearly popped off. I repeated this test with Disk Utility and Burn and LiquidCD using the same CDRW disc, three burns with each. ExpressBurn works perfectly every time. Best of all, unlike Toast, the basic version of Express Burn is free. I am not into product endorsements; for all I know it is less good at other things than its competitors but, in the case of this Mac Mini PPC and this project, it works!

I use NTI Dragon Burn on my PPC G3, G4, G5 and OSx86 Q6600..... :blink:
Hi Verdant, thanks for mentioning an old favorite! As far as I could see, NTI can not burn ISO projects, though it is great for burning almost every other project and I am fond of it. There wasn't an option, that I could see, and nothing in the instructions. That said, I did download the latest version and it might been revised since I last used it many moons ago.

Are there any special requirements for the Preboot.dmg

In Disk Utility, click on 'New Image'

Volume name: Preboot

Volume Size: 10MB

Volume Format: Mac OS Standard

Encryption: none

Partitions: Master boot record partition map

Format: read/write

I tried a few different combinations and that one worked. - Sonotone kindly supplies an empty Preboot.dmg, though, so you might also try that.

@Detosx

Remember that an .iso file is a virtual CD or DVD, so in Dragon Burn just hover mouse pointer over CD/DVD/BD Copy......and a brief explanation pop-up window appears......very neat.... ;) It is described in more detail under Dragon Burn Help tab in top menu bar......

Yes I saw Sonotone has supplied a .zip Preboot.dmg......but I want to know of any special requirements for future reference.......I may still experiment with a sparse bundle image and/or MBR/GPT etc......when I have some free time..... ^_^

The Dragon help tab draws a blank if you enter just 'ISO', actually! 'CD/DVD Copy' - got you, thanks, not a place I would have expected to click on to burn an ISO image but the mouseover box does indeed list ISO! Dragon is truly the Swiss Army knife of burning apps, allowing you to burn all sorts of hybrids, haven't used it since Tiger. I missed that interface. :) There is a reason we used to call Toast 'bloatware', right?!

Okay, the CD boots perfectly, as it does with the others, but it gives me the same bios read errors. ExpressBurn is the winner on this aged but lovely Mac Mini.

Happy experiments with the Preboot.dmg. As far as I can see, Sonotone's Preboot.dmg is the same as the ram preboot image that I created, though it would be interesting if he edited his tutorial to include the settings he chose and possible options.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If anyone is up for the challenge of finding a working solution that doesn't inolve Toast, it would be great addition to Sonotone's exellent tutorial. Use CDRWs! Another application I tried was good old Dragon's Dragon Burn suite (free trial period), but I found that it doesn't have the option to burn ISOs.

Freeware apps that I have tried:-

Burn

LiquidCD

Magic iso (under XP; the Magiciso 30 day trial burns any image lower than 350MB)

Tonight I will try ExpressBurn.

I used a free one called "Simply Burns"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What do peoples <kernel> </kernel> pointers look like in their Boot.plist? I can boot my Chameleon Boot CD and swap with a retail 10.5.6 but when I select the retail DVD the screen says "Cannot find mach_kernel" and it goes back to the partition selection screen.  

My computer keeps on restarting everytime I boot from the CD!!

I even downloaded a premade CD for P45 (I know that's not my motherboard but I wanted to see if I'll get past the instant reboot), and still get instant reboot.

Why is that happening?

• 2 weeks later...

where did you find that pre-made one... i am updating my boot132 disk to a char, (see guide in sig) and everytime i try to boot the retail cd, i get a

"Mach Kernel not found." error... There is no reference to the mach kernel in any of my plists, and the disk should boot vanillia right???

If i do need a kernel, where do i put it?

Thanks a lot sonotone for this work, very useful.

I got a few doubts though, if you can help me:

What about those who can't use Vanilla ?

I tried putting an Extensions.mkext and a mach_kernel.voodoo in Preboot.dmg and the other stuff(smbios.plist,com.apple.Boot.plist,DSDT.aml and themes) in the Extra folder at the CD.

Whenever I try to load the kernel manually in the command line it doesn't find the kernel. I use

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v -legacy rd=disk0s2

Is the Preboot.dmg being loaded as a ramdisk ?

Thanks in Advance.

the preboot.dmg is the ram disk

5. Still inside Extra folder, create a dmg, and name it Preboot.dmg (it's the RAM disk)

I guess you have the kernel issue too... I haven;t found a solution and would like one... i have tried putting the kernel in every concievable folder...

Okey, I guess I am still sleaping. I see how this works and I udnerstand the guide but somethign aint clicking in my head.

This is a boot cd that will rescan and notice the retail cd. That far Im game :blink: for the retail dvd or cd to work on an intel PC we need ( as everyone knows) some nice extra adding. In my case running a P5K-Pro board with a HD4879 ATI Radeon card and ALC883 audio cuppled iwith an OOB ethernet card, I dont need to much ( no in leopard atleast) to get it working. I know I will need:

fakesmc.kext

OpenHaltRestart

EFi string for my card

Patched DSDT.aml file with my audio

So to clarify this, where the buggers do I put these files. They cant be going into the boot dc since its only a bot cd, am I correct?

I have been reading up on this guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182227

But what I did not get there is how to restore the restored dvd image back into a dvd :D I must be a bit slow today to be honest, I usually dont have problems reading the guides anywhere but I simple am missing somethign here. Can someone please just clarify these things to me: Bootcd inthis guide is to get the retail dvd to actually boot and let me install. Where do I put my kexts taht I need for the installed system to work on my Intelbased (Vanilla friendly) PC system? (fakesmc.kext and OpenHaltRestart)???

What do peoples <kernel> </kernel> pointers look like in their Boot.plist? I can boot my Chameleon Boot CD and swap with a retail 10.5.6 but when I select the retail DVD the screen says "Cannot find mach_kernel" and it goes back to the partition selection screen.  

I have the exact same problem, has anyone worked this out yet?

Just manage to figure it out yess ;)

Use this guide to create me a nice boot cd.

Use this guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...182227&st=0

to create meself a nice dvd with chameleont added and all me kexts.

Install by booting up with this guides boot cd and then install SL with the customized DVD, Smile and be happy ( IF you have gotten it all right with kexts and stuff : )

And yess as its sayed in most guides. the changes you had to do in leopard, or the patches you had to add, you have to do similair ones for SL to work. IF you are not a happy pup with a bloody clone of a real mac :D

where did you find that pre-made one... i am updating my boot132 disk to a char, (see guide in sig) and everytime i try to boot the retail cd, i get a

"Mach Kernel not found." error... There is no reference to the mach kernel in any of my plists, and the disk should boot vanillia right???

If i do need a kernel, where do i put it?

same problem here. did u find some sollution?

same problem here. did u find some sollution?

this is my best guess how to do that

try these flags.

-rd(X,Y)/mach_kernel -v -rd=diskXsY

to find out what X and why are

open terminal and type in

diskutil list

you can make a boot-132 disc for leopard which chameleon flavor.

explains how at the bottom of this guide