QT 7.6 DEFINITE MOUSE LAG FIX for ALL 8800 GT/GTS 512 & 8600-8500-9800 series

cyclonefr

294 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, followed instructions at Neowin and flash was successful using usb stick. I am hoping this has also fixed an occasional 'flash' where my LCD seems to loose sync and flash about once every hour. Does anyone know what version the mp8800gt rom is? rev1 or rev2?

• 3 weeks later...

Would anyone know if the 8800GT BIOS is OK for an XFX 8800GS? Is there an Apple BIOS for the 8800GS available? Apple uses the card for the new iMac 3.06. I am suffering pretty bad with the mouse lag even with the disabler installed sometimes.

Due to a fatal blow to my USB stick ,delivered by my 4 year old. I no longer have my cards original bios.

I have two reasons for wanting to restore the original, the fact that the 10.5.7 graphics update will address the problem and I have recently discovered that after extended use of my system some graphic related problems arise.

for example if I use my mouse wheel to scroll quickly on this page the black background to the left and right renders in jittery blocky chunks. If I log out and log back in it goes away.

My video card is EVGA 512-P3-N80

EVGA Bios as offered by their site? (I think this will only install from a windows install? I dont have a native install yet but I would install it if you all thought this would be the best way for me to proceed)

A depository of roms but I don't know how to determine what revision I would need? I think these could be used with the DOS install method i used to flash the card.

Finally I will point out that I used the link to the iso in post # 30 to flash my card. It was an impulse download and flash so I am not 100% sure which rom Lolrus used. I think it was the mp8800gt.rom

Thanks so much for looking at this. I really would appreciate any help on how to proceed.

I added the AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext to the black list in this Disabler.kext thanks to Kabyl. So no need to delete the kext, just install this one and enjoy no mouse lag/stutter.

Disabler.kext.zip

thanks

@last everything looks ok here (P5Q-EM/Mushkin 8800GT 512MB (OC'd))

Sorry but i have MAC OS Retail Leopard X.5.6 and i don't have AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext, i can't find it !!!

take a closer look @:

post-404685-1239935641_thumb.png

But i have lags with Itunes and Quicktime....

I have a Geforce 9800 GTX+ what i have to do so ?

install stellarola's disabler?

Update:

Confirming, just for the record:

With the help of netkas, we finally managed to fix the famous QuickTime lag...

Thanks to Kabyl, he managed to extract the legacy part (PC part) of the Mac Pro 8800 GT dump. What does it mean ? Well it's under 64K, so EVERYONE with a 8800 GT can flash it and enjoy the fix (1024K is only needed if you flash the untouched mac pro dump).

Flashed mine thanks to the 60K rom that you guys managed to extract.

My 8800GT is a Mushkin GeForce 8800 GT HP Edition v2, factory OC'ed and kinda of a gamer's card (personally I couldn't care less). Worked fine with the stock .rom too (as long as the EFI string was in com.apple.Boot.plist)

What you need to know is there are 2 bios i'm posting there, because there are 2 different 8800 GT for Mac Pro (1st gen & 2nd gen) for some EFI stuff. Why do I post these 2 bios then ? Because I noticed for some reason that one of them (from the mac pro 2nd gen) is different than a normal PC bios, it supports power management, and when idling, the 8800 GT underclocks itself to use less energy. So maybe people there will prefer this bios (2D3D.ROM).

Tried both:

the 2nd-gen 2D3D.rom caused immediate video artifact havoc on first boot

the 1st-gen 3D.rom is working as it should (been stress-testing the card for ∼48h)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Just a quick question....I just want AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext disabled, not the IntelCPUManagement disabled (my DSDT.aml does that for me and I don't want any interference with that). So what I did was update stellarosa's Disabler.kext (attached, renamed) but for some reason, I get a dependency error on net.osrom.kext.Disabler....

Can anyone check this out and tell me if I did this right? I really just removed the IntelCPUM section from it. Thanks!

AppleUpstreamUserClientDisabler.zip

Hi guys,

Just a quick question....I just want AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext disabled, not the IntelCPUManagement disabled (my DSDT.aml does that for me and I don't want any interference with that). So what I did was update stellarosa's Disabler.kext (attached, renamed) but for some reason, I get a dependency error on net.osrom.kext.Disabler....

Can anyone check this out and tell me if I did this right? I really just removed the IntelCPUM section from it. Thanks!

I suggest addding IntelCPUPM back to the list. Having that enabled in dsdt still makes the CPU run about 10C higher than when that KEXT is disabled. Just my 2 cents.

-Stell

I suggest addding IntelCPUPM back to the list. Having that enabled in dsdt still makes the CPU run about 10C higher than when that KEXT is disabled. Just my 2 cents.

-Stell

Thanks for the advice, I went to using your disabler and the AppleUpstreamclient is in fact disabled. With mine, it's not disabled. What did I do wrong?

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks! All my lag issues are fixed. I have a BFG 8800GT OC. The flash worked without a hitch using a bootable usb thumb drive.

I've got a BFG too. Nvflash --check says it's 64K. Is that what you got? Did you use the 2D3D.rom one posted here, with the BFG?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get all the fuss about this, isn't this the same problem as b4, just replace one file, the QuicktimeComponents.component in System/Library/Quicktime with the one prior to the quicktime update, problems solved. Why mess with other methods and change more files than you need to?

Can't believe people are even using a GFXbios flash method to fix this!

I had this bug after update and replace the old compontent file back, problem solved.

Hi stellarola, Can you (or anyone) please confirm something for me. Sorry for the noob question but I have disabler.kext in both my Extensions folder and Extra folder (Chameleon 2). Do I need the one in Extensions? I tried editing the plist for Disabler in my Extensions folder as it's different to the one in the Extra folder so I added /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext to it but KP'd on restart and it wouldn't load Disabler.kext from the Extensions folder on bootup (Errored out explaining it couldn't load the extension). Can I delete the Disabler.kext from my Extensions folder and just stick with the one in Extra?

Hi stellarola, Can you (or anyone) please confirm something for me. Sorry for the noob question but I have disabler.kext in both my Extensions folder and Extra folder (Chameleon 2). Do I need the one in Extensions? I tried editing the plist for Disabler in my Extensions folder as it's different to the one in the Extra folder so I added /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext to it but KP'd on restart and it wouldn't load Disabler.kext from the Extensions folder on bootup (Errored out explaining it couldn't load the extension). Can I delete the Disabler.kext from my Extensions folder and just stick with the one in Extra?

Only install ONE Disabler.kext. either on /extra or /System/Library/Extensions/.

Don't try to edit it. just download Disabler supplied by stellarola, and install it using kexthelper if your putting it it /S/L/E

10.5.7 didnt fix anything for me. When i use dual displays the cursor still jumps 1-2 inches while navigating so annoying. Tried NATIT , efi strings.. nada. Using 1 display is fine, Turn on the other one everything goes to hell.

I dont know what apple did but anything higher than 10.5.5 hosed something

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 9800 GT and removing the AppleUpstreamClient.kext solved the mouse lag. However, if I sleep the machine the mouse lag returns upon wake. Is there a solution for this? Running Vanilla 10.5.7 via Chameleon v2 and GFX Strings for 9800. I did attempt to use Aqua-mac's 9x00 installer first but it didn't work, so I used gfx strings in my System and Extras boot.plist. Maybe there's a conflict since I tried to use the installer?

I found a very weird discovery.

I launch iTunes and I get the lag. I then close iTunes again.

I start the terminal and unload AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext and then load it again like this:

1. start terminal

2. cd /System/Library/Extensions

3. sudo kextunload AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext

4. sudo kextload AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext

5. exit

now start iTunes again and lag is gone!

AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext is loaded successfully and still no lag.

is this little trial useful in anyway? :)

• 1 month later...

This is still not ok.

I have a MSI 8800GT flashed it about 5 times (3d, 2d3d, quadro 3700 rom), reinstalled, added EFI strings, changed dvi ports, using vga adaptor... lag is almost gone but it's there. Wouldn't even mind about the small lag, but the most anoying thing is the JUMPY mouse. Tried with 3 different mice.

Btw, system is a retail 10.5.7 install on a Gigabyte UD3P with Quad Core

Anyone else noticing this small jumps in mouse movement ?

I am wondering, can the Disabler.kext supplied by stellarola be edited to remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement but leave only the AppleUpstreamUserClient? I have tried editing it but with no success.

The reason I ask is because with the new 10.5.8 update, if you're running a vanilla kernel with retail install, sleep can be fixed by using DSDT to handle HPET and leaving AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement to run normally. If I remove my Disabler.kext, then my system will sleep, but the Quicktime mouse lag returns. Ideally I would like a Disabler that only disabled AppleUpstreamUserClient.

For anyone who has.....

* upgraded to 10.5.8

* a vanilla kernel

* a custom built DSDT.aml with a patched HPET

* a video card which suffers the QT mouse lag

* wants to use sleep

Here is a new Disabler.kext which just blocks AppleUpstreamUserClient and loads from /Extra/Extensions. Thanks to Kabyl for helping me remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement from the previous Disabler supplied by stellarolla.

:D

EDIT: SleepEnabler.kext by pista7 now allows you to use the original Disabler.kext posted by stellarolla and have sleep functioning in 10.5.8. It works by sending the kernel the expected message to allow it to sleep even though AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement is disabled. Therefore this Disabler I have posted is only necessary if you don't want to use SleepEnabler.

Disabler.kext.zip

Just to keep this thread up to date...

Testing with SL 10A432 (running in 32-bit) the QT mouse lag is still present but only very slight, no way near as obvious as with 10.5.X. But this Disabler loads fine from /Extra/Extensions and seems to be doing it's job.

I will keep this thread informed of anything else I notice.

EDIT: SL 10A432 (running in 64-bit) this Disabler won't load from /Extra/Extensions

Kext net.osrom.kext.Disabler - library kext com.apple.kernel.iokit not found.

blah blah....

With a side-affect of the system boots fully (i know this because I hear gmail notifier alert me I have an email), but the video stays at the blue screen and doesn't show me the mouse or desktop.

But I have to question is the QT lag present in 64-bit? Playing itunes (which is still 32-bit) I have no noticeable mouse lag...