10.5.6 Released!

pauℓzurrr.

809 posts in this topic

Hey guys.

So I'm by no means an expert at all the behind the scenes hackintosh stuff (ie PC-EFI stuff). I installed OSX via the Kalyway 10.5.1 disk and have updated through 10.5.2, 10.5.3, 10.5.4, and 10.5.5 with just the same method that Netkas had where to download the combo updater and to run the script to remove appleintelcpu kext as it installs and have had no problem whatsoever. So from what I take reading this thread, that way won't work anymore? Am I correct in saying that? What has changed in 10.5.6 that I can't do the method i have been doing and I now need to update my PC-EFI? Any info would be great. Thanks guys!

Eric

I've followed pretty much the same path as you. I just finished updating to 10.5.6 with no problems. The only difference this time was: I first downloaded the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from post#119 and put in my Extensions folder (and updated rights)

Then I did the exact thing as I did with previous updates using the Netkas method, including using the script that blocks the new CPUPowerManagement install. Had to re-update my video kext afterwards like usual and I was good to go.

I'm running an ASRock 1333 Conroe D266 with modified 1.80 bios. I hope this helps someone.

The only thing you have to do for getting ps2 mouse and keyboard back is editing this file:

ACPIPS2Nub.kext/Contents/Info.plist

change "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" value to "1.2.4" to fit the new "AppleACPIPlattform.kext"

looks like this:

<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>

<dict>

<key>com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform</key>

<string>1.2.4</string>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily</key>

<string>1.2.0</string>

<key>com.apple.kernel.libkern</key>

<string>1.2</string>

</dict>

I got back mouse and trackpad working with ACPIPlatform backup.

cheers.

One more thing... :D

In the Apple software website, there is the Security-Update 008 alongside the 10.5.6 update.

But it doesn't appear me in the software update. Should I install it? Ever since the previous security update, i've got issues with the airport icon, appearing as unconected to my wlan but working properly.

Anyone installed it? Thanks

Edit: Ok, Security update 008 is for Tiger. It's included in the leopard .5.6 already.

Well the update was successful for me per say, but now when I try to mount a dmg the screen does a 3/4 gray out effect and the system locks up, I'm preforming a re-install and I'm going to try it with the newest voodoo kernel to see if there's any improvement.

The only thing you have to do for getting ps2 mouse and keyboard back is editing this file:

ACPIPS2Nub.kext/Contents/Info.plist

change "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" value to "1.2.4" to fit the new "AppleACPIPlattform.kext"

looks like this:

<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>

<dict>

<key>com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform</key>

<string>1.2.4</string>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily</key>

<string>1.2.0</string>

<key>com.apple.kernel.libkern</key>

<string>1.2</string>

</dict>

that's what i did but i had no results.

Hey,

I thought I had cameleon installed correctly (I had efi_v8 before and I just installed cameleon and changed my grub entry to /boot/boot instead of /boot/efi_v8) and it panic'd during the install.

now when I reboot it's a kernel panic. What did I do wrong? How can I fix it?

on a side note, anyone having any luck with 4870 support?

Woo!

10.5.6 installed and running on my HP without DSDT patch.

I just replaced System.kext from 10.5.5 and setup the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel again. Replaced AppleSMBIOS with the patched one I had from iDeneb as the one with 10.5.6 didn't show me anything. Also reinstalled AC97 and GMA900 with IntelIntegratedFramebuffer. Works fine with the new OpenGL framework in 10.5.56. Still got slight artifacts in text boxes though.

Some pics:

post-1253-1229387103_thumb.gif

AppleRTC.kext 1.2.3 works, surprisingly

post-1253-1229387111_thumb.gif

http://insanelymac.blogspot.com/2008/12/pr...pdating-to.html guide did it for me.

I had to get DSDT aml file first then use Universal OSx86 installer as mentioned in guide, install PC_EFI , reboot , then generate Plugin by attaching generated dsdt file, put the Plugin in Extra folder and select my motherboard plugin , Apply DSDT, reboot and install 10.5.6 ~370mb file. reboot. it rebooted twice, then gave me desktop . Wuhoo.

I got Custom Gigabye GA-945GMX-S2 Motherboard, so far Everything work, Sound PS2kb,mouse , USB, DVD etc. i will be seeing next two days how Stable it is now cause i have heard people having trouble with DSDT .

I am attaching the dsdt plugin if anyone has SAME motherboard as in my sig.

Thanks EVERYONE again. mega thanks. Wuhooo.

PS: It appears i still got voodoo kernel from iAtkos 10.5i installer ...humm.

post-11993-1229387552_thumb.png

PS: It appears i still got voodoo kernel from iAtkos 10.5i installer ...humm.

Voodo makes a symlink from mac_kernel to mach_kernel.voodoo so it's possible that the 10.5.6 installer was not able to write the vanilla kernel correctly. Up to you if you want to continue using Voodo or use Vanilla. make sure you use the System.kext from 10.5.5 if you use voodoo, though.

Now I'm confused. Before 10.5.6 was released there was a lot of discussion about DSDT and needing this or 10.5.6 won't work, etc. As a few of us have 10.5.6 working without DSDT, is there no longer any worry or need to have this patched? Or did I miss something.

Updated, with pc_efi9, dsdt patch, and appleintelcpupower... everything ok but the firewire... actually it's a little bit weird, because in system profiler under the FireWire section says: No firewire slots detected. But if I go to System Preferences> Network, there appears the FireWire, among the wireless and ethernet. Sadly I don't have a firewire device to plug in, so hope it's only a misread from system profiler and it actually works.

Sorry for the "brick" :D

Checked my Firewire both my sound and external devices work fine, for my earlier posts turns out I was making it way harder than it had to be using that Combo update won't work a straight Software Update from Apple worked fine some peoples kids eh! always take the hard way first...

I am confused too. how do i try Vanilla kernel from 10.5.6 update which happened. Do i have to type something at starting prompt (options?) which voodoo kernel to use, the latest Final Rc one? and flibblesan , how to make sure I am using System.kext from 10.5.5 ? use pacifist and force install?

:D

UPDATE: BTW i cant mount any DMG to install , kernel panic. (cud be old voodoo that i m using from iAtkos 10.5.5i dvd)

Went through and reinstalled. This time did the whole boot patch path from the guide... works, had to reinstall Audio. However, now the system hangs whenever i reboot or shutdown. Not sure what file got replaced that is preventing that from working. Original install was the iDeneb 10.5.5.

---

GA-EP43-DS3L

I am confused too. how do i try Vanilla kernel from 10.5.6 update which happened. Do i have to type something at starting prompt (options?) which voodoo kernel to use, the latest Final Rc one? and flibblesan , how to make sure I am using System.kext from 10.5.5 ? use pacifist and force install?

:D

UPDATE: BTW i cant mount any DMG to install , kernel panic. (cud be old voodoo that i m using from iAtkos 10.5.5i dvd)

That kernel panic is because your System.kext does not match the kernel version. Just run the Voodoo final installer again.

Went through and reinstalled. This time did the whole boot patch path from the guide... works, had to reinstall Audio. However, now the system hangs whenever i reboot or shutdown. Not sure what file got replaced that is preventing that from working. Original install was the iDeneb 10.5.5.

---

GA-EP43-DS3L

AppleACPIPlatform.kext you can go to the Psystar site below to get the OenHaltRestart.kext to fix it or get a modified AppleACPIPlatform.kext that can mainly get you restart sometimes shutdown.

http://store.psystar.com/opensource/openhaltrestart

Guys.. i shell say this only once :D again...

If your cpu does not support vanilla kernel use latest Voodoo! it blocks AIPCPUManagement.kext and some other (check documentation).

For info in "hardware" under System Profiler use Chun Nan's kext.. AppleSMBIOSEFI for Tiger and Leopard - InsanelyMac Foru

Probably you don't need DSDT patch!? I don't!!!

Also i'm using the system.kext from the update.

And the update didn't installed any new kernel in my system!!!

The symlink is only for Vmware that needs the kernel to be named mach_kernel.

p.s.: even if your cpu supports vanilla, try Voodoo. It can solve some problems. Again, check documentation.

Guys, just want to do a bit of double-checking with y'all before I attempt to update my system. Let me preface by saying that I am currently running a Retail Leopard Install using BOOT132 DFE thingamajiggy (applied straight to the HDD for booting - no need for Boot CD), and it's on it's own separate Hard Drive too (I'm not dual booting with any other operating system). System has been running smoothly as long as I can remember. :D

Now, I read the whole deal with the needing to update the DSDT or whatever it is, and I tried following the instructions to the best of my ability. Here's what I did, plus some screenshots, and I'm just looking for confirmation that I've followed the steps appropiately.

1) Install PC EFI v9 (latest version) a.k.a. the Chameleon package that came with the DSDT Patcher GUI by ~pcwiz

2) Ran DSDT Patcher with the options for Darwin (as I don't need to dual boot), and the "Apply to Hard Drive" option to my Leopard HDD.

3) Checked to see the files on the root / were placed there correctly (both dsdt.aml and boot) - Here's the screenshots of Finder and Terminal showing the files being there.

j17rf6.jpg

21l7cl4.jpg

4) Copied the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext file from 10.5.5 onto my /Extras/Extensions folder, as I've read I'm going to need to do this because 10.5.6 puts a different version of that file into the /System/Library/Extensions and I'm guessing that the 10.5.5 ver. of the file is needed over the new one. Here's what my Extras folder looks like - note the presence of the IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext there, and ignore the ACPIPS2Nub.kext since I don't use PS2 devices.

29f8its.jpg

5) Rebooted my system, which rebooted into OS X just fine.

6) Downloading the 372mb file from the Apple website (Software Update shows me the 377mb one, I'm asuming it's the same file)

So first of all, am I on the right track so far? And if so, what next? Just install the update as is and it should be fine? Thanks for any input you guys can provide. :D