ALC889A, Gigabyte (Intel): now having a working front mic

VCH888

1,156 posts in this topic

ALC888 on 10.6.4, Front panel headphone is not working

Is the front panel "HDA" or "AC97"? If you are using the latest patched AppleHDA for ALC888, your front panel must support HDA. It will change from Speaker to Headphone automatically since you plug headphone in.

If your front panel is AC97, you need to edit info.plist of AppleHDAPlatformDriver. You can copy "item#" from LegacyHDA for ALC888 regular headphone into the patched AppleHDA. It's about Pathmap. Please try to edit info.plist yourself by using Property List Edit, it's not hard.

Oh, so fast, brilliant work!

The motherboard is EP43-DS3L, the lastest patched AppleHDA for ALC888 is working when i use socket on the motherboard. But i often use headphone in front panel, i dont know it support HDA or not. I just know when i change motherboard to replace the P5PL2-E, the voice and the sound is better than Old one.

Now, i plug it on the motherboard, stereo out, but i cant use headphone in front panel.

I will follow your guide and your tip to make it work, thank you all the time!

Thanks, that's incredibly kind of you!

I actually did open his dsdt. In mine, my audio section it has this:

"device-type", 
						Buffer (0x0F)
						{
							"Realtek ALC662"
						}, 

"PinConfigurations", 
						Buffer (Zero) {}
					}, Local0)

emt's same section has this:

"device-type", 
						Buffer (0x12)
						{
							"Realtek ALC662"
						}, 

"PinConfigurations", 
						Buffer (One)
						{
							0x00
						}, 

"hda-gfx", 
						Buffer (0x0A)
						{
							"onboard-1"
						}
					}, Local0)

Anyways, I copied his into mine, but when I try to compile it, I get this error:

"Error 4047 - Initializer list longer than declared package length"

I'm guessing something at the top is stating how long the DSDT is supposed to be and by me adding to it, it doesn't like that.

@ emt,

I see there's discrepancies in hardware IDs between ours. I have the original rev. 1 of the board, you probably have a newer one. But I'm assuming that the "hda-gfx" part is the one I need to add. And yes, I am following the [GUIDE]+[sT...." thread as well. Getting HDMI working would be fantastic. I actually run everything in my home (TIVO, game consoles, media center, etc.) through a Monoprice HDMI matrix switch. So unlike most users with this board, I actually have real need for HDMI audio. Hope we get it working!

@lifterus,

if i remember correctly, what i did when i added in the "hda-gfx" part was leaving out the "Store (Package (0x0A)" hex like so "Store (Package ()" before compiling. not sure if its the right way to do it but it didn't show any errors after i did that. the compiler added in the left out hex after compiling. give it a shot and see what happens.

just add the "hda-gfx" part would do since hardware IDs are different.

example below,

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x00080000)
               Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
               {
                   0x15, 
                   0x05
               })
               Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x0A)  <<<----(before compiling, change this line to)---->>> Store (Package () 
                       {
                           "built-in", 
                           Buffer (One)
                           {
                               0x00
                           }, 

"codec-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x62, 0x06, 0xEC, 0x10
                           }, 

"layout-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x96, 0x02, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"device-type", 
                           Buffer (0x12)
                           {
                               "Realtek ALC662"
                           }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (One)
                           {
                               0x00
                           },

"hda-gfx", 
                           Buffer (0x0A)
                           {
                               "onboard-1"
                           }

}, Local0)

@ emt

Could you test the new one? I added items of HDMI in infi.plist of AppleHDAPlatformDriver.

AppleHDA_1.8.7f1_ALC662_LayoutID_662_HDMI_Zotac_mini.zip

Thanks.

@ tmongkol

I have reverted to to AppleHDA from the first post as suggested. Attachement below is my ioreg saved using IORegistryExplorer after reverting. Hope you can have a look and figure out something.

emt_ioreg_firstpost_applehda.zip

Thanks a bunch.

@ tmongkol

I have reverted to to AppleHDA from the first post as suggested. Attachement below is my ioreg saved using IORegistryExplorer after reverting. Hope you can have a look and figure out something.

emt_ioreg_firstpost_applehda.zip

Thanks a bunch.

Getting closer. Your ioreq has HDMI device and address. Try to connect an HDMI cable to see whether it's working or not.

Getting closer. Your ioreq has HDMI device and address. Try to connect an HDMI cable to see whether it's working or not.

I am using HDMI as my only display connection, so i've been using the HDMI cable to display the whole time while testing. my dvi and vga ports are not connected.

I tested connecting via HDMI to my LCD monitor(with built in speakers) and also to my LCD TV but i do not get any sound. HDMI option does not come out in the sound preferences using the first post AppleHDA and the HDMI patched AppleHDA you gave me.

Using the same pc, I get sound via HDMI when using windows7 and xbmc linux with both the mentioned displays.

I guess i have the same problem as your HD4870 where i cannot get HDMI in sound preferences even when connected with a HDMI cable thus no sound.

Any ideas? Thanks.

@emt,

Thanks, that compiled right, but now there's no sound device at all. I'll double check everything.

Also, what is your audio setting in the BIOS? Are you using External Codec, or INT + EXT Codec?

@lifterus

If not mistaken, EXT codec applies to the 662 audio device while INT codec applies to the HD audio device (nvidia audio) or is it the other way around.

Anyway in BIOS i am using INT + EXT Codec. The "hda-gfx" addition applies to the INT Codec. If you use only EXT codec then adding in the "hda-gfx" might part cause you problems.

On the otherhand, if you enable INT Codec without adding in the "hda-gfx" in dsdt, you should see the sound assertions that tmongkol mentioned earlier.

I am using HDMI as my only display connection, so i've been using the HDMI cable to display the whole time while testing. my dvi and vga ports are not connected.

I tested connecting via HDMI to my LCD monitor(with built in speakers) and also to my LCD TV but i do not get any sound. HDMI option does not come out in the sound preferences using the first post AppleHDA and the HDMI patched AppleHDA you gave me.

Using the same pc, I get sound via HDMI when using windows7 and xbmc linux with both the mentioned displays.

I guess i have the same problem as your HD4870 where i cannot get HDMI in sound preferences even when connected with a HDMI cable thus no sound.

Any ideas? Thanks.

I was thinking it might not support old devices and I have no idea for now.

P.S. got to watch the 2010 world cup. I will try to find out for my HD4870.

I was thinking it might not support old devices and I have no idea for now.

P.S. got to watch the 2010 world cup. I will try to find out for my HD4870.

Thanks for trying, much appreciated. Can you recommend a specific PCI card I should buy? One that could perhaps give HDMI audio without any patching? In your instructions, you say the GT 220 is a good choice. Is that still the case?

Thanks for trying, much appreciated. Can you recommend a specific PCI card I should buy? One that could perhaps give HDMI audio without any patching? In your instructions, you say the GT 220 is a good choice. Is that still the case?

You can get GT220. I am using Gigabyte GT220 1GB (second hand) without patching AppleHDA binary and just adding some lines of "hda-gfx" into my EP35-DS3P's DSDT. It's working find.

Hello guys,

I've Snow Leopard 10.6.4, retail install on GA-EP35-DS3R with Realtek ALC889A audio.

x64_audio_for_ALC888 from here: http://cid-8b65993ef55cf014.office.live.co...r%5E_ALC888.zip

made my sound work finally!

Also if anyone had a Jmicron problem with ATA DVD drives,:

JMicronATA.kext.AllJMicron.IDE.x86_64.zip

from here:

http://cid-8b65993ef55cf014.office.live.co...ontrollers%20==

solved my problem

• 2 weeks later...
I know this is a bit off topic, but for people struggling with HDMI audio

Slice and AutumnRain at projectosx have updated VoodooHDA to 0.2.6.

This gives me HDMI audio on my MSI GX620 (NVIDIA 9600M).

The getdump and getExtDump utilities make troubleshooting easier.

Voodoohda Driver, Fully working!

VoodooHDA.kext.zip

Thank you for the info but as you mention it, it is a bit off topic. Just let this thread maintain it purpose. I'm sure the VoodooHDA driver/forum is google-able. Lets not create "monopoly" in this community. It will be nice for people to have a lot of options. BTW, the driver available in this thread does works but maybe not for all people, same thing goes to VoodooHDA.

I could use a quick hand.

I have patched AppleHDA.kext in the past with success, but wonder if you can set me straight on what I am doing wrong with the 10.6.4 HDA kext.

It is a Vostro 3500 that I am patching (eventually with the aim of getting the HDMI working from the Nvidia 310M controller).

I have working audio with DSDT + legacy kext + AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2

I am trying to switch to DSDT + AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.4.

My audio device IDs are:

Vendor ID: 111D, Device ID: 7605 (regular audio via IDT codec 287143429)

and

Vendor ID: 10DE, Device ID: 000B (HDMI audio)

So for regular audio I took the config data, layout, path map stuff from the legacy kext and edited the plists in the Apple Kext (platform driver and configuration) and I patched the binary with Hexedit to replace the ALC885 data searching for :85 08 EC 10 and changing to 05 76 1D 11 - I also changed 0A 00 DE 10 to 0B 00 DE 10 for HDMI. In the plists I am deleting the material from the ALC885 codec and using layout 12 and path map 9. But:

Before I can really work on the HDMI audio though I need to debug what I am doing wrong for regular audio as obviously something is not letting this work as I get no audio and I get these messages on boot:

Sound assertion "0 == converterWidget" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-187.4.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDAFunctionGroupALC885.cpp" at line 154 goto Exit

Sound assertion "0 != err" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-187.4.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDACodecGeneric.cpp" at line 338 goto ExitError

Sound assertion "0 == converterWidget" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-187.4.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDAFunctionGroupALC885.cpp" at line 154 goto Exit

Sound assertion "0 != err" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-187.4.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDACodecGeneric.cpp" at line 338 goto ExitError

Should I NOT patch to layout 12, or is something else wrong in the methods. I have double checked all my patching and if I am doing it wrong, then I am consistently doing it wrong!!!!

A word of assistance at this point would really help stop me going crazy.

Thank you. :wacko:

I could use a quick hand.

I have patched AppleHDA.kext in the past with success, but wonder if you can set me straight on what I am doing wrong with the 10.6.4 HDA kext.

It is a Vostro 3500 that I am patching (eventually with the aim of getting the HDMI working from the Nvidia 310M controller).

I have working audio with DSDT + legacy kext + AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2

I am trying to switch to DSDT + AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.4.

My audio device IDs are:

Vendor ID: 111D, Device ID: 7605 (regular audio via IDT codec 287143429)

and

Vendor ID: 10DE, Device ID: 000B (HDMI audio)

So for regular audio I took the config data, layout, path map stuff from the legacy kext and edited the plists in the Apple Kext (platform driver and configuration) and I patched the binary with Hexedit to replace the ALC885 data searching for :85 08 EC 10 and changing to 05 76 1D 11 - I also changed 0A 00 DE 10 to 0B 00 DE 10 for HDMI. In the plists I am deleting the material from the ALC885 codec and using layout 12 and path map 9. But:

Before I can really work on the HDMI audio though I need to debug what I am doing wrong for regular audio as obviously something is not letting this work as I get no audio and I get these messages on boot:

Should I NOT patch to layout 12, or is something else wrong in the methods. I have double checked all my patching and if I am doing it wrong, then I am consistently doing it wrong!!!!

A word of assistance at this point would really help stop me going crazy.

Thank you. :D

Please go to this thread for your IDT. You made the wrong one. That's for Realtek. Sorry, I have no idea about IDT.

Please go to this thread for your IDT. You made the wrong one. That's for Realtek. Sorry, I have no idea about IDT.

I was afraid that might be the answer! Unfortunately the newer AppleHDA binaries don't include any IDT identities anymore, so it may be that I am restricted to sticking to 10.6.2 AppleHDA or going to VoodooHDA. Thanks anyway.

I have sort of managed to get basic audio using layout id of 66 for alc885/alc889A but only stereo out from the green plug and some sound assertion errors on boot

Using only DSDT however I believe I can fully get this working so I tried editingAppleHDAPlatformDriver.plist using property list editor then saving a copy to the desktop and dragging it back to the correct contents folder, this however gives me issues even if I edit nothing the symptoms

on first boot the gui will be very blue and no response from clicking with mouse or keyboard inputs only the mouse will move press power button to invoke sleep then wake from sleep will bring the GUI back to normal but the other symptoms still exist.

I have run kextutil after each attemp with no difference the only way is to copy back the original info.plist and running kextutil again

What I am wondering is if this kext file is edited it has a different date could this be the issue ?

I have sort of managed to get basic audio using layout id of 66 for alc885/alc889A but only stereo out from the green plug and some sound assertion errors on boot

Using only DSDT however I believe I can fully get this working so I tried editingAppleHDAPlatformDriver.plist using property list editor then saving a copy to the desktop and dragging it back to the correct contents folder, this however gives me issues even if I edit nothing the symptoms

on first boot the gui will be very blue and no response from clicking with mouse or keyboard inputs only the mouse will move press power button to invoke sleep then wake from sleep will bring the GUI back to normal but the other symptoms still exist.

I have run kextutil after each attemp with no difference the only way is to copy back the original info.plist and running kextutil again

What I am wondering is if this kext file is edited it has a different date could this be the issue ?

Each layout-id is for a specific system. Why don't you use LegacyHDA.kext for ALC889a?

The date of editing is not the issue. It may be pathmap, codecid, and so on.

Hi Minihack,

I've been through this also these days.

You name suggests you may be using a HP Mini 311c, because I also have this IDT codec 05761D11?

Are you sure about the HDMI codec-id - I found Device ID 10DE-0007 -> 0700DE10 -> 282984455 in the net.

Maybe I am wrong...

First I tried to figure out what Deviato did, as he claims that it worked for his IDT device.

But his one was already in the plist of the AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext, but still he patched the codec-id in AppleHDA and modified the plist of layout 12.

http://deviato.wordpress.com/2010/06/19/10...-driver-update/

I failed with this as you did.

Then tried modifying layout 16392 because it also had the HDMI codec in it.

Still no avail.

Good luck for your further work, please share your findings!!!

Tom