The NVIDIA 9500GT Thread

Mrx33

454 posts in this topic

So I installed a retail DVD 10.5.6, installed Chameleon 2RC1, put in not many kext - ethernet, legacy HDA sound, dsmos, decrypt - updated everything that was offered. Then I calculated the string with OSX86Tools as instructed, added to my boot plist (the Chameleon one, in Extra, not the one in Library/Pref/etc), rebooted and bingo! Full resolution on my Samsung 24" monitor, QE/CI activated and hardware acceleration. Fantastic. So the only step I skipped was the NVidia 2009 drivers. Is there a benefit to do that? Are they more recent drivers than the ones provided by 10.5.6?

Thanks everyone for the info allowing for an almost 100% vanilla system!

Yes and they works as I can see. :)

I updated from Software Updater, rebooted and new drivers worked.

I've got a reb/shutd problem on my mobo, but I don't think this would depends on this.

At the moment those with 10.5.7 don't need kext I uploaded, because 10.5.7 is the latest nvidia driver available :D

What do you mean, you don't need the kext? I'm currently on 10.5.6 retail, and I haven't installed any extra kext. The only thing I did is to add the gfx string as you describe in your first post. And it's working great (QE/CI/Hardware accelerated).

Pierroz this is because you didn't read the topic. In this thread are available kext from 2009 nvidia (retired) update, these kexts are newer than those available with 10.5.6.

Now is obvious that, with 10.5.7, those kext from 2009 nvidia update are old, so if you're running 10.5.6 you can install kexts from this thread, if you're running 10.5.7 you would just follow EFI string instruction.

That's all and was all already written :(

i'vve worked out how to get safari full screen and i guess itunes just doesn't go full screen (unless you are using coverflow)

to get safari full screen just zoom in three or four times then hit the maximize green button on the top left and your full screen and can zoom out if you wish

ok... my english isn´t so good, that i can all understand what to do.

i have a msi 9500gt (1024mb) plugged into my amd 6400+. now i´m search for the right driver.

i think here i found the right, but which ??? (installed is ipc x86 v1.1 10.5.6 (no update))

can anybody say to me in simple english (or in german :( ) WHICH DRIVER IS THE RIGHT FOR ME ???

Does anyone know the NVCAP for a 9500GT 512MB? I can't find it...

reporting successful install following mrx33 method =)

i have retail 10.5.6 with evga geforce9500gt 1gb with dual dvi working QE/CI enabled

Did you have to install 10.5.5 Frameworks?

Thanks for the instructions.

I tried using these to get my PNY 9400GT 512MB working.

I can't seem to get past a kernel panic when I have NVDAResman.kext loaded.

My PNY 9400GT 512MB has

NVCAP: 04000000000003000c0000000000000700000000

Device ID: 0641

Vendor ID: 10de

I'm using 10.5.6 right now, vanilla kernel.

I modified the kexts you supplied to reflect my NVCAP and device ID. I loaded these into the extensions folder with OSx86 tools and updated the EFI strings similarly.

Same problem - kernel panic! No matter what I do, NVDAResman.kext crashes the computer. It seems to occur when I would expect the computer to switch from the grey screen to the blue login screen. I do not see details when booting with -V or checking out the kernel panic logs. There's no indication of what might be happening.

If I use nvinject.kext or nvdarwin.kext properly modified, I can see the device details change to reflect 512MB, but I still can't load NVDAResman.kext. I always get a kernel panic. Any ideas?

i don´t really know what i have done,

but the pn from jjduro has helped me a little bit.

i installed the core vivis driver, but nothiong. change the resolution: blue screen, no 3d, no quartz.

then i read, that the 9500gt the renamed 8800gt.

efi-studio started an a little bit play (i was really bored to this time...)

found the 8800gt with 1024mb.

i think... ok, what to loose. if it not goes: reinstall leo.

then change the resolution... arghhh... blue screen...

next day i start and wonder: the icons are little bit snall. what now ???

profiler says: resolution 1280x1024x32bit, 3d on, quartz too.

yeah....

OK Fellas, thanks to Hagar|Away on #osx86, All that's necessary is to use STOCK kexts from 10.5.6

Then just load NVinject, properly updated with the NVCAP and Device ID for the PNY GeForce 9400 GT 512MB

100% working.

Edited NVinject.kext posted here for your convenience:

NVinject.kext.zip

Hi guys,

I've got my hands on a real Apple GT120 (9500) and an LED Cinema Display :(

I'm having a problem i think related to the NVCAP string but i can't fathom why it's not fully working.

If i boot without the EFI string i get software more, no CI/QE as expected but all works fine.

If i put in the EFI string then I get a blank screen once the driver fires up. If I boot with the monitor disconnected then plug it in after boot then it works. This is from a OSX built from 10.5.0 retail disk.

I have a 2nd recovery partition built with 10.5.6 from a new Alu. Macbook. That does similar in that if i leave the monitor connected i get a blank screen but in this case i can unplug it and reconnect it works fine from then on - no need to boot with the screen disconnected.

Any ideas?

According to NVFlash and ioreg the NVCAP is 0400000000000300000000000000000700000000

Pierroz this is because you didn't read the topic. In this thread are available kext from 2009 nvidia (retired) update, these kexts are newer than those available with 10.5.6.

Now is obvious that, with 10.5.7, those kext from 2009 nvidia update are old, so if you're running 10.5.6 you can install kexts from this thread, if you're running 10.5.7 you would just follow EFI string instruction.

That's all and was all already written ;)

Thanks, I have to say it wasn't that clear that the 2009 drivers were newer than the 10.5.6. Probably 'cause English is not my first language...! ;)

Hi guys,

I've got my hands on a real Apple GT120 (9500) and an LED Cinema Display :P

I'm having a problem i think related to the NVCAP string but i can't fathom why it's not fully working.

If i boot without the EFI string i get software more, no CI/QE as expected but all works fine.

If i put in the EFI string then I get a blank screen once the driver fires up. If I boot with the monitor disconnected then plug it in after boot then it works. This is from a OSX built from 10.5.0 retail disk.

I have a 2nd recovery partition built with 10.5.6 from a new Alu. Macbook. That does similar in that if i leave the monitor connected i get a blank screen but in this case i can unplug it and reconnect it works fine from then on - no need to boot with the screen disconnected.

Any ideas?

According to NVFlash and ioreg the NVCAP is 0400000000000300000000000000000700000000

Yeah, I just got the same setup as well.

NVFlash-->NVCap Maker is returning the same NVCAP that you list.

Booting 10.5.6 with listed NVCAP value inserted in the com.boot.plist (as hex) using EFI Studio/OS X Tools, gives nothing but a black screen after -v boot.

I'll try updating to 10.5.7. Any help is highly appreciated. What is known about NVCAP values when using (mini)displayport connectors?

Yeah, I just got the same setup as well.

NVFlash-->NVCap Maker is returning the same NVCAP that you list.

Booting 10.5.6 with listed NVCAP value inserted in the com.boot.plist (as hex) using EFI Studio/OS X Tools, gives nothing but a black screen after -v boot.

I'll try updating to 10.5.7. Any help is highly appreciated. What is known about NVCAP values when using (mini)displayport connectors?

Updating to 10.5.7 makes no difference. Booting with the LED display attached ==> black screen before login.

With the NVCAP value applied:

Having no screen attatched I can boot and then log in via Screen Sharing from another Mac. Accessing System Profiler//Graphics/Displays shows correct info and that QE/CI is hardware accelerated. So far so good.

Sadly, sleeping doesn't work: System goes to sleep but at wake it enters a cycle of what appears to be continuing sleep/wake cycles.

Stuck...

Updating to 10.5.7 makes no difference. Booting with the LED display attached ==> black screen before login.

With the NVCAP value applied:

Having no screen attatched I can boot and then log in via Screen Sharing from another Mac. Accessing System Profiler//Graphics/Displays shows correct info and that QE/CI is hardware accelerated. So far so good.

Sadly, sleeping doesn't work: System goes to sleep but at wake it enters a cycle of what appears to be continuing sleep/wake cycles.

Stuck...

Ahh good idea, i'll try remote desktop-ing in also - can you do that when you boot with the screen connected from power on?

There must be something in the fact that my build from the Macbook allows a disconnect/reconnect to work. I'll look into that i think....

Please let me know if you get anywhere!

With Qe/CI the random screen freeze. Mouse can be put into motion, after some time the screen comes back.

In the Windows it functions normally with games as COD4, Crysis and gpu temp show 45%C.

Some solution for freeze?

Sorry my bad english

post-115381-1243765036_thumb.png

Alright I've got dual nVida GeForce 9500 GT in EFI. I have them bridged with the little SLI bridge. I cannot use the second card even though it shows up in my profiler. I figured its because SLI is actually working. But I wouldn't really be able to tell you that, So I posted my Ioreg below. here is my system config

Asus P6T Deluxe V2 w/ i7 920 clocked at 3.92 GHz works great

9500 GT x 2 QE/CI work

Sata hd's and DL-RW-DVD

Everything works yes time machine too

install is retail 10.5.7

Chameleon 2

Can someone tell me the status of SLI in osx(86) (on my machine) I've googled extensively with mixed results.

Thank you for your time and understanding

ioreg_display.txt

my GFX card, Gigabyte GeForce 9500 GT DDR3 512MB VGA+DVI+HDMI

- Can not use NVDarwin.kext make me reinstall OSX more than 3 time. When install nvdarwin.kext driver (512MB) and reboot It's never boot to OSX even if I put option -x -v -f.

- Work with Use GeForce 9000 Series or 2009 Mod driver in this Topics post #1 + add EFI string to OSX86Tools.

After install driver + add EFI string QE/CI support now but when change resolution BLUE SCREEN have come.

to solve this problem I switch cable from VGA port to DVI ( by DVI-VGA adapter ) and Blue Screen is no longer happen.

Still have problem to show second screen by HDMI. I connect hdmi cable from GFX to Plasma TV and no signal.

Thank you!

Your method worked both for my Geforce 9500 1gb (memory was shown just as 512mb though), and Apple's Geforce GT 120 upgrade kit with Mini DisplayPort.

(For some reason GT 120 was recognized just as generic NVidia 32mb when using Install DVD - Combo 10.5.6 - UInstaller GA-EP45-UD3P method. Note that OS requirement on Apple site is 10.5.6 for GT 120).

I have not tried Mini DisplayPort though, but am planning to do so.

I tried to use the method of extraction NVFlash with a GF8600GT but not earned success (random screen freeze). And many hackers had discouraged me.

Now reading this thread I decided again test a newly acquired GF9500GT, AND REALLY PERFECTLY WORKS!

NVFlash extract

NVCAP: 04000000 00000100 06000000 00000007 00000000

HEX: BAAAAAAAAQAGAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=