SSE2 and SSE3 information PLEASE READ

sportman

154 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

I tired on my overclocked 2800+ Barton and all I got to was the boot screen and it stayed in one spot for a day and a half, so I gave up.

Right now I'm using it on my P4 machine but I can't seem to get any PPC apps to work.

By the way, I don't see why OS X86 wouldn't be optimized for anything LESS than SSE3 because Apple wants you to use Apple hardware, and they will most likley sell only SSE3 processors. Espcially since by the time the new Mac Intel boxes are being sold (not the devkits) Intel may stop making < SS3 processors.

And Blackice hello!

I didn't expect to see anyone from AeroXp here.

your only real hope is to skin XP into OSX, i've played with RKLauncher and FlyaKiteOSX, and u know there very very good products, yeah yeah not the same, but hey us SSE pawpers have to get what we can.....

Ok, I PERSONALLY got to installer drive selection on P III on Intel 815. Sadly, it can't see my drives.

For this to happen you need a lot of (strange) tweaking in BIOS. As I killed my main HD with this, I had to reset settings to reinstall win on new HD. Since then I can't reproduce that BIOS combination - but I just afraid of killing my drive again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

is SSE3 for Intel any different to SSE3 for AMD?

coz i read some forums that some apps that require rosetta won't run on AMD SSE3. tried Preview for example. it is tipped that to view pictures with Preview i need to check the "Open with Rosetta" option. i've done that and yet i'm not getting any result.

Shameless crosspost, but this seems a more appropriate place:

I've ran the SSE patch (my AMD 64 3000+ is an SSE2) but I still cant get iTunes (or any other SSE3 application) to work. I can't find Rosetta (it's not under the 'get info'-option), it doesn't seem to be available on my system. I'm using the Deadmoo version, is that a problem? Any suggestions?

Shameless crosspost, but this seems a more appropriate place:

I've ran the SSE patch (my AMD 64 3000+ is an SSE2) but I still cant get iTunes (or any other SSE3 application) to work. I can't find Rosetta (it's not under the 'get info'-option), it doesn't seem to be available on my system. I'm using the Deadmoo version, is that a problem? Any suggestions?

do a fresh install from one of the patched dev dvds.....it should help out, works better than deadmoo...itunes never worked with the deadmoo for me **edit: also make sure you get the latest patches if you are going to stick with deadmoo**

as far as the previous post about pentium M line not supporting sse3.....can't wait for yonah =)

OK, so I reinstalled with one of those skanky patched marklar discs... I now have a nice partition map, but Rosetta, I can't help but feel, is **a lot** slower now. [edit: on my SSE3-enabled celeron 331]

Is there any way I can check the status of my Rosetta subsystem? Maybe MD5 sums, or such, for the key files. for reference, I've done all of the obvious things -- the CoreGraphics file, and mach_kernel have been replaced with the SSE3 versions. If this is an issue with everyone installing from said disc, it probably should be posted here...

• 2 weeks later...
You don't get 64bit with Semprons, dude. Sorry ;)

As far as I know - all the Semprons sold today (socket 754) are 64bit with SSE3 support.

(please correct me if I am wrong)

If you look around you can probably find an "old" Sempron that only have 32bit and SSE2 support - but they are hard to find today.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking on amd's web page and getting 2 conflicting results depending on where i look there

I think my chip is the clawhammer

amd website on some pages shows socket 754 as being sse2/3 but last time i checked with winblows it did not display sse3 not sure if there are settings in bios or if only some 754 pin chips support sse3 if that is the so what would be the best chip to replace my existing one with also is there any difference with sepron 64/athlon64?

• 2 weeks later...

Sempron 754's are SSE3 capable, last time I checked. I am also pretty sure that they have 64-bit extensions on them as well.

It would be kind of ridiculous for Apple to develop an operating system with support for SSE processors. It would not only be a lot more work for a lot less response, but it wouldn't do much for the OS anyway b/c it would run slow.

So :angry: to SSE.

You can't use VMWare when you only have SSE, can you?

My Duron 1.8 (not the machine I'm going to try osx86 on) has only SSE and I can use vmware just fine- unless you mean, use it to emulate an SSE2 cpu, in that case is a big fat no.

Is there anyone here who is succesfully running os x on a sse machine. If not can u tell me what goes wrong, what works with an sse cpu, when it goes wrong etc. I know my old dell latitude c600 ( p3 850 mhz) won't be fast in os x. but i think everything is better than XP as long it isn't a command line.

Sempron 754's are SSE3 capable, last time I checked. I am also pretty sure that they have 64-bit extensions on them as well.

The 754 pin Semprons come two flavors...one with 64 bit enabled and one without 64bit enabled. The Sempron64's have SSE3. The 32bit version is only SSE2