Upcoming Intel X58 Mobos & Core i7 CPUs

1,154 posts in this topic

Just received the pieces for my new pc, with i7 920 and asus p6t deluxe... but the dvd drive is missing! so i'll have to wait a little more before trying the install.

Anyway from what i read so far I'm going to tweak the bios having only one core active with no HT for the installation process. Then install Leopard Retail with boot-132 and pc-EFI. Once everything is working, i'll patch the dsdt and finally boot with 4 cores enabled + HT. Should work!

has anyone been able to get Parallels working on there i7 with this install? I get kernel panics with both parallels 3 and 4....

It's no better for us with VMWare Fusion. You can't even boot with it installed. There are several incompatible kexts and other pieces left deep in the OS. :)

I doubt there'll be any easy way to circumvent that. VMs need to work on a lower OS level and communicate directly with hardware without the usual abstraction. Bummer.

regard,

MAJ

Just received the pieces for my new pc, with i7 920 and asus p6t deluxe... but the dvd drive is missing! so i'll have to wait a little more before trying the install.

Anyway from what i read so far I'm going to tweak the bios having only one core active with no HT for the installation process. Then install Leopard Retail with boot-132 and pc-EFI. Once everything is working, i'll patch the dsdt and finally boot with 4 cores enabled + HT. Should work!

Hope it works out for you!

MAJ

It's in my previous post... link

Also, my script is just about complete... Anyone that has an issue with it will be able to send me the install.log, and I can look to see what went wrong...

I am finishing a clean install and will upload when done.

and that works for you on 10.5.6? you tried it on any lower versions? this is really annoying...

Any thoughts on the MSI x58 Platinum? Disks I have; kalyway 10.5.2, leo4all 10.5.2 (I think that's the version), and iatkos 10.5.2.

Kalyway kp's

iatkos kp's

leo4all reaches installer, and doesn't detect and hard disks!!!

Help!

Hi friend!

Nice to see another person with the same mobo as me.

I tried many dvd's (about 10)

The 100% success came only with iDeneb 1.3 (10.5.5)

iAtkos 10.5.5 starts installation with cpus=1 but it doesnt boot afer that.

I havent find any way for the onboard audio to work (alc888) but both lan ports work fine (remember to select the rtl driver on installation)

And of course only one core recognized.

Any idea for that? Anyone please?

Go ahead! Keep in mind though; the 920 and 945 don't support ram faster than 1066 without overclocking ( a fact I found out and verified AFTER purchasing my pc). This mobo is great for overclocking: 920 at 3 ghz with 20x150. 1333 RAM runs at 1200 MHz but with 6-6-6-15 timings (1N) @ 1.5 volts. So I'm happy. As with the lack of sli, go physx with a new video card combined with an old one. Good luck!

i am using my newly built and overclocked i7 based computer and am curious as to how i can get osx running on it. it is a stupid fast machine, more of a workstation/server than a desktop. specs are:

EVGA X58 mobo

EVGA 260 216core

12GB G Skill 1600 triple channel

300GB WD Raptor boot

dual samsung 1TB drives for workspace

LG BlueRay SATA

Samsung DVD SATA

Samsung 22 in widescreen

OCZ 1000watt

CoolerMaster ATCS 840 in black

it runs ubuntu ibex amd64 very well, vista ultimate 64 runs well also but i would love to get osx running. I have a retail version of leopard 10.5 and the darwin bootloaders but it dont work.......help

Go ahead! Keep in mind though; the 920 and 945 don't support ram faster than 1066 without overclocking ( a fact I found out and verified AFTER purchasing my pc). This mobo is great for overclocking: 920 at 3 ghz with 20x150. 1333 RAM runs at 1200 MHz but with 6-6-6-15 timings (1N) @ 1.5 volts. So I'm happy. As with the lack of sli, go physx with a new video card combined with an old one. Good luck!

Nice

Hi friend!

Nice to see another person with the same mobo as me.

I tried many dvd's (about 10)

The 100% success came only with iDeneb 1.3 (10.5.5)

iAtkos 10.5.5 starts installation with cpus=1 but it doesnt boot afer that.

I havent find any way for the onboard audio to work (alc888) but both lan ports work fine (remember to select the rtl driver on installation)

And of course only one core recognized.

Any idea for that? Anyone please?

hay,

how did you fix the instant reboot when trying to load OSX after installing?

I know it's too early to tell, but what are peoples guesses as fas as these mobos/CPUs working with OSX86?

Gigabyte has a couple of X58 mobos that have me salivating & the lowest-priced Core i7 will be about $350:

http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.php?shownews=22358

Anybody tried a new distro, iPC_OSx86_Public_Beta.iso?

Looks like it has a lot of options to choose. It may work nicely with X58. I'm going to try as soon as my vacation starts!

Updated my Gigabyte Boot-132 Installer files with the updated Realtek LAN driver (version 1.8.1) from Psystar, which offers dual-gigabit support and enhanced interrupt handling for improved throughput and link detection. This driver fixes the connection loss after wake issue when using DHCP. Turn "Green LAN" on in BIOS so ports can activate automatically when cable is plugged in. With "Green LAN" off an inactive port will not wake up.

Not that I really care for the Boot-132 method, as I'm not even using it! Boot from EFI partition FTW!

For those using the EFI boot method (like wolfienuke's), you ought to try this Psystar driver if you want better throughput and no DHCP disconnect issues. Use it to replace the RealtekR1000.kext in the PlugIns folder of the IONetworkingFamily.kext and update to the EFI partition.

Currently playing with Temperature Monitor. Seems to work rather well, but haven't really compared the temps with the BIOS for accuracy. The temps for each core appears to go offline periodically, but I think that's an update during inactive core issue. After reboot, the sensors get disconnected. :huh:

Besides the sound assertion errors showing up in the log, the only issue I still have is getting the OS to handle devices plugged into their ports. USB, Firewire, Bluetooth, etc. do not automatically mount/load when plugged in. System Profiler will show all necessary details, but the OS refuses to handle them. To activate any devices, I currently boot with them plugged in. For USB drives, I do kextload IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext to mount them. After this, any following USB drives can be mounted with success, but leave them unplugged for a while and the IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext will unload.

What I've done/observed so far:

• Updated BIOS to F3
  • I've read and followed this Solving USB problems thead.
  • Made sure I have the proper System.kext for the Voodoo kernel.
    On this point, does the System.kext need to have the exact same version number in the info.plist to work? I figured that as long as the correct System.kext is loading with the kernel, then all is good in OS land. Given that the 10.5.6 update uses the 9.6.0 vanilla kernel, I can't have the 9.5.0 Voodoo System.kext labeled as "9.5.0", as it is lower than the vanilla System.kext and will not load.
  • I'm currently studying about the IOUSBFamily.kext and have viewed the USB 2.0 for Leopard thread for interesting info. Haven't implemented anything, yet.

I'm currently working on some logos for the About This Mac panel. :)

I'll get the transparency, file format, and size correct later. Preview:

AppleChrome_wCorei7Extreme.jpgAppleBlue_wCorei7.jpg

I need to remove the greenish tint from the Intel logo for the chrome. If anyone has a better way to incorporate the Intel and Apple logos, I'm all ears. I thought about having the Apple logo inside the Intel text, but I think the Apple needs to be the dominate/larger logo.

Best regards,

MAJ

Just got my kit: Retail 920 + MSI X58 Platinum and 2x1GB DDR3 1333.

Still with stock Intel cooling (sucks) I was able to reach 3.5GHz prime stable with ~1.200v. Awsome processor.

With a better cooler and better memories this kit could hit 4GHz easily, and this MSI board is one of the cheapest boards availible for Core i7.

Anyway.. I'll wait until Apple releases it's first Mac Pro with the xeon version of i7 so we'll have a more stable kernel and kextes to use with it. Besides, my HD 4870 is still not recognized as well so.. it will be better for me to wait anyway.

Hi all i7 fans

Today i am in the family, my hardware is:

i7 920@3.8ghz with turbo and HT on

gigabyte ex58-ud5

12gb 1600mhz ddr3 ram

seagate 320gb x4 raid0 install OS

xfx 9800gtx

creative sb live 24bit usb

Firewire 800 pci-e card

corsair HX620w

iATKOS 10.5.5, Voodoo kernel, EFI installation in previous post

Everything works most prefect. My main work is photo and video editing. I did try Mac Pro quad 3ghz (1st gen) and i think the speed of this system can beat it down, the memory speed of i7 is amazing.

BTW i have few problems:

1)Restart will shut the system down and power up itself, and nothing to see in monitor

2)Jmicro SATA port 9 and 10 not working

3)Kernel panic when opening some large DMG images

If the above problems solved, this system would be a prefect hackintosh for me!!

indexfe8.th.png

indexfe8.png

i7.tiff

@ JaE-V

That's a long wait. :unsure: And, you have been on this thread from the very beginning.

It'll be worth the wait, however. Hope all goes well.

@ FabricioGS

Great results on stock cooling! Was the 1.2V the default setting? Didn't think it could be stable at that low voltage. The Gigabyte board starts at 1.3125. I suppose there shouldn't be any reason to bump that up if it's prime stable. I agree with the rest of your points.

@ rgb

Welcome and fabulous results!

1) Restart will shut the system down and power up itself, not nothing to see in monitor

So, how are you getting around this issue? Another restart, or are you having to Shut Down, then boot? When you say 'nothing on the monitor,' can you tell if the system is continuing the boot process or it's just hanging? Is this even when using -v or -x on boot?

3) Kernel panic when opening some large DMG images

I hear the new Seatbelt.kext from 10.5.6 caused KPs on DMG mounting. The solution was reverting to the older 10.5.5 kext. Is that what you have done?

The Core i7 is the future!

best regards,

MAJ

@ FabricioGS

Great results on stock cooling! Was the 1.2V the default setting? Didn't think it could be stable at that low voltage. The Gigabyte board starts at 1.3125. I suppose there shouldn't be any reason to bump that up if it's prime stable. I agree with the rest of your points.

Actually the vcore is set in bios to -0.040v so technically I'm running below the default vcore, but I mus say I disabled HT (because there is no actual use for more then 4 cores and I can save some vcore) and also disabled Turbo Mode because this feature improves the mult from 20x to 21x in some cases and that will prevent me to reach the right vcore. I'll find now the best stable OC with both enabled but I'm having a huge problem with heat right now. Here is the Prime run:

corei79203500175x20htofsz3.png

@ rgb

Welcome and fabulous results!

So, how are you getting around this issue? Another restart, or are you having to Shut Down, then boot? When you say 'nothing on the monitor,' can you tell if the system is continuing the boot process or it's just hanging? Is this even when using -v or -x on boot?

Sorry for wrong type. The system is just hanging after power on it self.

So the process is: Press restart in OS> blue screen with loading icon> system power off> power on by itself> mon is black, system is just hang

The shutdown works, however when i power it on, the system needs boot twice. (OSX only, windows and other os works)

(Shutdown>power off. Power on>shutdown itself>power on)

I hear the new Seatbelt.kext from 10.5.6 caused KPs on DMG mounting. The solution was reverting to the older 10.5.5 kext. Is that what you have done?

Yeah! DMG mounting now works with placing 10.5.5. Thanks

Following palamosteliaro, I was able to install iDeneb 1.3 on the MSI Platinum X58.

install options

-acpi fix

-jmicron controller

-realtek ethernet

Using cpus=1 I can boot, and although there are some things to be worked out it functions very well, except for the single core.

I tried the DSDT patcher method described earlier, but it didn't seem to do anything. Is there any way I can confirm that the new DSDT.aml is being read? Also, in the dsdt.dsl, I had only 8 processor listings / 8 alias listings instead of 16 processor listings and 8 alias listings as was posted when the procedure with the P6T was described.

ideas?

I have this computer and I like to try out the leopard, so I see you are already many who installed the thing, so if you can help me because my full appreciation, patience that I am a novice. Sorry my English is a translation of google, mine is surely worse. jejeje

My computer:

i7 940, gigabyte x58 extreme, 9800gtx, 2 hd Seagate in raid 0, gskill 12,800 to 1600mhz 12GB, wifi Atheros 5004.

Thank you and greetings