Upcoming Intel X58 Mobos & Core i7 CPUs

1,154 posts in this topic

Smoothy your so smooth ;-)))))

Activity.tiff

Its so easy to make a man happy....just double click....

and I am still on 10.5.2, no KP, everything is working, fast, snappy, processor runs pretty cool with the noctua, and quiet, overclocked to 3.6, geekbench 9530, xbench 367nodisk 245disk, just waiting for my SSD to arrive...

Ohh, thank you Smoothy... I never had anything more than a dual core, so I did not know of that... It seems that all 8 threads are seen! Oh happy day!

WARNING: I am still having issues with 10.5.6 with EFI Partition Boot. I get kernel panics when mounting a disk image. I would wait to upgrade with this motherboard unless you are experienced.

Someone in the main 10.5.6 update thread found a solution to the mounting disk image kp problem. So no Warning about that.

The solution is using Seatbelt.kext from 10.5.5, as stated..

Using Toast (or any other app that mounts images without using the system, i think..) does the trick too.

Heres the kext sluts!

click here

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 EFI Partition Boot Install Script

Anyway, here is my EFI Boot Install Scripts for the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5.

I have included the kexts that I have used on my Install. The only issue I am having right now is my RAM show 400MHz... If anyone has a fix, let me know...

WARNING: This script will format/modify some of the partitions on the selected disk. I have written some safeguards to prevent accidental formatting, but it's ultimately your responsibility. Always have a backup!

What it does:

I have made a script to automate:

1. Formatting of the EFI Partition

2. Activating the EFI Partition

3. Installing the boot loader to the EFI Partition

4. Mounting the EFI Partition

5. Copying the Kernel/Kexts/boot.plist/DSDT and any other required files

6. Running the update.sh script

7. Unmounting the EFI partition

8. Restarting

The whole process takes a few minutes when done manually in terminal (Maybe more depending on how fast you can type). With the script it only takes a few seconds. You also don't have to worry about typo's (which are a BIG deal when modifying partitions). If you do this often enough (like when trying to find a working kext) it's a huge time saver!

Requirements:

1. A working install on a GUID Partitioned disk

Instructions:

1. Get the UUID of your disk. Place the UUID in the com.apple.boot.plist - Your install WILL NOT boot if this is not done. You can also edit the boot.plist kernel flags to your liking at this time, and include your EFI Strings.

2. Edit the install.sh for your disk number. (Usually 0)

3. Place any kexts you which to install to the EFI Partition into the Extensions folder.

4. Be sure to edit the info.plist of any kexts to ensure it's version is higher than any vanilla kexts. Also "touch" them and verify the new version. I have pre-set the included kexts to v9.9.9 No longer required... These features are now built in to the install.sh script.

3. Open Terminal and type:

$ cd <EFI_BOOT_INSTALLER_PATH>
$ sudo -s <Enter Admin Password>
$ ./install.sh

Feel free to edit the script or post any kext that you feel may be better. My Install is not perfect, and I will repost any fixes to the script/kexts as it get's better.

You can also use this script to update your EFI Partition. Just throw in some kexts, change the boot.plist, add a new kernel, or whatever you want.

WARNING: I am still having issues with 10.5.6 with EFI Partition Boot. I get kernel panics when mounting a disk image. I would wait to upgrade with this motherboard unless you are experienced. Fixed (Thanks mattrb!)

Note: The Audio is not working with Mac OS X 10.5... Update to 10.5.3 or above for audio.

Download: EFI Partition Boot Installer (Update 3) (4.2MB)

Update: Updated script to fix some errors, removed IOAHCIFamily.kext which caused waiting for root errors, and added 10.5.5 Seatbelt (Disk Image Mount kernel panic fix).

Update 2: Added DSDT Patcher, boot.plist creator, and kext version editor functions to script. Simplified user input.

Update 3: Fixed issue where boot files were not copied properly. Fixed other script issues. Added kexts from Digital Dreamer (Thanks!).

Details/Credit:

EFI Boot Files: Munky/DFE/Chameleon

Kernel/System.kext: Voodoo XNU 9.5.0

DSDT: Patched DSDT for GA-EX58-UD5 (BIOS v3F)

System Management: Modified AppleSMBIOS.kext and SMBIOSEnabler.kext

Disabler: Disables AppleEFIRuntime.kext, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.

Audio: Legacy AppleHDA for Boot-132

Ethernet: Modified IONetworkingFamily.kext with open-source RealtekR1000.kext

Serial-ATA: Modified IOAHCIFamily.kext from OS X v10.5.6 (Internal Disk Icon Fix)

Video: Included current NVInject.kext and Netkas Natit.kext

Screen Captures:

post-153235-1229478788_thumb.pngpost-153235-1229478503_thumb.pngpost-153235-1229492650_thumb.png

AppleSMBIOS_SMBIOSEnabler.zip

Disabler.kext.zip

dsmos.kext.zip

IOAHCIFamily.kext.zip

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

LegacyAppleHDA.zip

Natit.kext.zip

seatbelt.kext.zip

NVinject.kext.zip

GA_EX58_UD5_F3_DSDT.zip

@Aibear - i think i will go for vodoo kernel :P hope i dont get "still waiting for root device"..

i had that message with this kernel, but because i installed it with RAID mode on bios (because my windows partitions are on another 2drives in RAID 0 ), so i just changed it to ahci to boot leopart. ;)

Had a similar problem; my XP doesn't (yet) support AHCI, so I have to switch my BIOS settings when I want to change the boot drive, I just change the interface (XP on 1st, OS X on 2nd; when booting from the second, I just turn off the first in AHCI settings - which it remembers; nice one on this Asus ;) )

Btw, do you have voodoo kernel stable right?

:P

As long as we're talking 10.5.5: stable for me :) (haven't had any crashes yet)

As for 10.5.6, haven't tested it so much yet.. I'll wait until the global bugs are fixed (like the dmg loading, which is circumvented now, it seems :) ) X-Mas is coming up anyway, so I'll probably have a break from computing (read: away from home...)

Next step for Asus users: getting the cores to work :)

i7 System OS: Mac OS X 10.5.5 Leopard from iDeneb 1.3 (testing: 10.5.6) | Kernel: Voodoo 9.5.0 | MoBo: ASUS P6T Deluxe | CPU: Intel Core i7 920 | RAM: 3 x 2GB OCZ Platinum Low Voltage @ 1333MHz | Graphics: ASUS ATI HD 4870 DK 1Gb on Iiyama ProLite E2607WS-1 | HDD: 2xWD Caviar Black 1Tb | Optical: ASUS DRW-20B1ST (not fully tested yet)| PSU: EnerMax Modu82+ 525W | Case: NZXT Apollo, Blue | Working OOB w/Kernel: LAN, S-ATA, FW, USB | Working w/Patch: S-ATA chipset naming, Audio out (stereo) | Not working: Multiple Cores, HT, Graphics

nice :D i will go for vodoo then :D

but before that, i will try again iatkos 5.. just for testing.

and tomorrow.. OVERCLOCK timeeee :D hope i can get my i7 920 working at least at 4.1ghz.. psu modded again.. maybe some vmod if vdrop is too big.. cooler is not a problem, water ..eheh .. wish me luck, i will put some nasty voltage on the baby.. and i will try to get my rams to 1800mhz.. gogo baby :P

SUCESS AGAIN :D:D

system:

cpu: intel core i7 920

motherboard: asus P6T Deluxe

graphic card: 9800gt 512m

Installation:

kernel Vodoo 9.5.0

intel AHCI

nvinject

thats the only options i made ..

install went perfect.. but for booting into OSX after install i used this flags:

cpus=1

busratio=20

hope this will be usefull to you guys ..

@jplee4907

There is a problem with the bios. If you enable AHCI you have to do so with ICH and Jmicron....

This bug is still on all new bios versions uo to version beta4l....

SO you have to enble both controllers and set both to AHCI.

Hi PolarBear

Thanks for the tip!

Actually, I was little bit mad about the board, so I went to exchange it with GA-EX58-Extreme. I don't know how good this will be but I expect more of the same since they are not that different. I'm going to try now. But thanks!

*** UPDATE ***

iAtkos 5 - 10.5.5 working with 2 cores :) its allways way better then 1..

kernel Vodoo 9.5.0

flag: cpus=2 busratio=20

HT disabled ( still doesnt work enabled )

i havent selected any network adapter on install, i manually added it after.

LAN: Working ( manually installed )

graphic card, nvinjected selected on install.

Working, but with CI/QE not working..

going to install it manually..

time to sleep my friends.. i have to wake up in 3 hours :S tomorrow i will do more testings..

wolfienuke, thanks so much for that script! Install went without a hitch. Painless as can be. This is what everyone should see. :)

I like how you incorporated the fdisk makeactive commands - even more hands-free. This was the best, yet. Shutdown, sleep, restart, LAN and Audio running 10.5.6 on an i7 machine - can't ask for more! :)

I'm surprised how they got audio working without having to drop the HDAEnabler.kext in with the rest of the OS on the HDD. Amazing work. There's such an incredibly talented team working here.

• The only change I made was adding my previous AppleAHCIPort.kext for full ICH10-R support and adding my serial number and ROM # to the SMBIOSEnabler.kext plist. That's it.
  • I notice Firewire doesn't show up in the Network panel, but I don't know anyone who uses Firewire that way.
  • Has anyone noticed that the audio volume is quite a bit low? I really had to turn up my amp to get back that my standard volume.
  • My 4GB Cruizer USB drive doesn't mount or even show up in Disk Utility. Hmmm. Not good. Will have to look into that.

I suppose when Apple introduces the i7 Mac Pros, there'll be more OS support for the rest of us, particularly the ASUS owners.

Two months previously I never considered a Hackintosh. I built my G4 years ago, but that was with a genuine Apple board. Have worked on Macs for some 20 years and do do a lot of logic board repair on Macbooks and iMacs, generally replacing the battery charger and power circuits, as they fail often (mostly from liquid damage!). Can be pretty difficult to test/remove/replace these tiny SMCs with the new high-temp lead solder they use now. But, with a one-month crash course on a rather different field – the software OSx86 Project, I've learned all sorts of fascinating things about the Mac OS internals. Far more to learn, however. Such is life - a journey in discovery.

best regards,

MAJ

Hi,

Have just built my Core i7 system (Giga EX-58 UD5 + X965).

Got two drives, SeaGate 1.5TB and WD Raptor 150GB

I've had Macs for years, .... before that used to tinker around with PCs.

Originally I had planed to use the HD's like this:

SG 1.5TB: 500GB Vista / 100GB OSX Backup / Rest for Files etc.

WD Rap: OS X Main Drive

Got Vista up and running no issue on a 500GB Partition.

Then I installed Kalyway onto the 100GB partition, .... but after reboot it came up with some weird msg (more on that later).

After that error, and a reboot, it went back into Vista, and I could never get it to reboot into Kalyway again.

I got hold of some partition program (acronis?), and moved the Kalyway partition to the Raptor, ... and now in Bios I can boot from that drive,

however I still get the same error:

>00000080

<00000002

000000C1

*<00064028

J<

I can't type anything etc. Its just stuck.

Am downloading iAtkos_5i whilst I type this, .... maybe will have more luck with that.

Any thoughts...?

Cheers!

Hi,

I can't type anything etc. Its just stuck.

Am downloading iAtkos_5i whilst I type this, .... maybe will have more luck with that.

Any thoughts...?

Cheers!

It sounds like a partition/boot loader issue. A reinstall is probably not needed, but since you are doing it, you should probably just install Leopard retail as per Digital Dreamer's post but use my instructions/scripts for EFI Partition booting. It's actually real simple, and I am running almost the same setup as you (except for the cheaper i7 920 CPU). It's very stable and it update safe (I'm running 10.5.6 unmodified).

wolfienuke, thanks so much for that script! Install went without a hitch. Painless as can be. This is what everyone should see. :P

I like how you incorporated the fdisk makeactive commands - even more hands-free. This was the best, yet. Shutdown, sleep, restart, LAN and Audio running 10.5.6 on an i7 machine - can't ask for more! :)

Glad to hear it... I spent a lot of time trying tp make sure I won't break anyone's machine :D

I can't take all the credit, almost all the work was done by others here... I just simplified it for the rest of us.

Oh, and thanks for the link to my post in your sig... I guess I should copy that from you also! :P

• The only change I made was adding my previous AppleAHCIPort.kext for full ICH10-R support and adding my serial number and ROM # to the SMBIOSEnabler.kext plist. That's it.
  • I notice Firewire doesn't show up in the Network panel, but I don't know anyone who uses Firewire that way.
  • Has anyone noticed that the audio volume is quite a bit low? I really had to turn up my amp to get back that my standard volume.
  • My 4GB Cruizer USB drive doesn't mount or even show up in Disk Utility. Hmmm. Not good. Will have to look into that.

I suppose when Apple introduces the i7 Mac Pros, there'll be more OS support for the rest of us, particularly the ASUS owners.

• Can you link to that AppleAHCIPort.kext... I am not using those ports now, but I'll include it in the installer.
  • I have not used firewire, but it does show up during boot (if -v flag is used).
  • I have not noticed the low volume, but my hack is being used as a server, so not much use for audio...
  • Hrmm... I have a few USB drives, and have not had a problem. Have you tried all USB ports (Front/Rear)

I appreciate your work as well... Let's get this board working 100%!

Also, I made a mistake using both SMBIOSEnabler.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext... You can remove one or the other.

By any chance have you been able to get the CPU type to show without modifying the About this Mac plist? I am also wondering about the missing 3rd RAM card...

just out of interest, try booting your system with no usb keys in. then try using it. then try booting the system with one plugged in, then try using it.

notice anything?

My 4GB Cruizer USB drive doesn't mount or even show up in Disk Utility. Hmmm. Not good. Will have to look into that.

and tomorrow.. OVERCLOCK timeeee :D hope i can get my i7 920 working at least at 4.1ghz.. psu modded again.. maybe some vmod if vdrop is too big.. cooler is not a problem, water ..eheh .. wish me luck, i will put some nasty voltage on the baby.. and i will try to get my rams to 1800mhz.. gogo baby ;)

Good luck with that, just don't burn your system down ;)

iAtkos 5 - 10.5.5 working with 2 cores :) its allways way better then 1..

kernel Vodoo 9.5.0

flag: cpus=2 busratio=20

HT disabled ( still doesnt work enabled )

i havent selected any network adapter on install, i manually added it after.

LAN: Working ( manually installed )

I'll try this as soon as I get iAtkos5 in :)

Few question about your new setup:

- the Intel AHCI is the updated one, I presume? (with ICH10R as well)

- 2 cores seems promising :) do you still have to shut down the other two cores in the bios, or is the flag sufficient?

- LAN does *not* work oob??? (which kext did you use for that? standard marvell?)

And most importantly: does it still make you wait a long time when booting? (annoying as h*ll...)

Any answers are most welcome :P

(and indeed, the Gigabyte users are a lot further; on the other hand, I've got the feeling those are the more experienced users ;) )

Good luck with that, just don't burn your system down :P

I'll try this as soon as I get iAtkos5 in ;)

Few question about your new setup:

- the Intel AHCI is the updated one, I presume? (with ICH10R as well)

- 2 cores seems promising ;) do you still have to shut down the other two cores in the bios, or is the flag sufficient?

- LAN does *not* work oob??? (which kext did you use for that? standard marvell?)

And most importantly: does it still make you wait a long time when booting? (annoying as h*ll...)

Any answers are most welcome :)

(and indeed, the Gigabyte users are a lot further; on the other hand, I've got the feeling those are the more experienced users ;) )

i posted a link to some lan drivers for your board a few pages back. i was intending to get the asus so i did a bit of research into it. try em..... you got nothing to lose!

is anybody running some form of virtual machines on their i7? cannot get parallels 4 to run, anybody tried anything else?

nice :P i will go for vodoo then ;)

but before that, i will try again iatkos 5.. just for testing.

and tomorrow.. OVERCLOCK timeeee ;) hope i can get my i7 920 working at least at 4.1ghz.. psu modded again.. maybe some vmod if vdrop is too big.. cooler is not a problem, water ..eheh .. wish me luck, i will put some nasty voltage on the baby.. and i will try to get my rams to 1800mhz.. gogo baby :)

SUCESS AGAIN ;):)

system:

cpu: intel core i7 920

motherboard: asus P6T Deluxe

graphic card: 9800gt 512m

Installation:

kernel Vodoo 9.5.0

intel AHCI

nvinject

thats the only options i made ..

install went perfect.. but for booting into OSX after install i used this flags:

cpus=1

busratio=20

hope this will be usefull to you guys ..

@ChipX

You said "thats the only options i made", I'm curious about AppleACPIPlatform.kext what you are using.

I used older one in iDeneb, so its verison is 1.0.3 (showed in Info.plist)

I can't boot P6T without 1.0.3 kext.

But you seemed NOT to use 1.0.3. What's your kext version?

I'll very surprised if you're using vanilla AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

(and indeed, the Gigabyte users are a lot further; on the other hand, I've got the feeling those are the more experienced users :wacko: )

Honestly, I think it comes down to the reasons why people decided on their motherboard. I used to use ASUS a while ago. Then it became very apparent that the best motherboards for OSx86 are Intel or Gigabyte branded. When I went to purchase my system they had all three brands. I probably would have picked the Intel board, but it seemed to be limited (4 RAM slots for a triple channel system?, one networking port, etc...), I then easily chose the Gigabyte board due to the track record that Gigabyte motherboards have with OSx86. That ultimately was the main reason.

I quickly found out that I made the right choice when I got the system up and running almost 100% functional within the first few hours.

I am really surprised that I have not heard anyone here that has purchased the Intel board... I probably would have purchased that if it had been a little better.

i posted a link to some lan drivers for your board a few pages back. i was intending to get the asus so i did a bit of research into it. try em..... you got nothing to lose!

Took a few minutes to find the post, but I've got it! :) thanks!

iAtkos v5i should be finished in about an hour, so I'll try it by then (I hope)

Honestly, I think it comes down to the reasons why people decided on their motherboard. I used to use ASUS a while ago. Then it became very apparent that the best motherboards for OSx86 are Intel or Gigabyte branded. When I went to purchase my system they had all three brands. I probably would have picked the Intel board, but it seemed to be limited (4 RAM slots for a triple channel system?, one networking port, etc...), I then easily chose the Gigabyte board due to the track record that Gigabyte motherboards have with OSx86. That ultimately was the main reason.

I quickly found out that I made the right choice when I got the system up and running almost 100% functional within the first few hours.

I am really surprised that I have not heard anyone here that has purchased the Intel board... I probably would have purchased that if it had been a little better.

Ah, sounds logical... Being new in the OSX86 scene, I wasn't entirely aware of this. I mean, I saw Gigabyte boards mentioned a lot, but didn't exactly realise they're so much better :) Having had very good experiences with Asus boards (on Win systems), I went for this one. Also, the fact this board had better availability in my region at the time (I preordered), it made it worthwhile for me. Guess I'll just have to work a little bit harder.

By the way, question to the people with understanding of this part: Any idea what could be causing the mandatory cut in cores, and whether this could be solved with the retail install?

It sounds like a partition/boot loader issue. A reinstall is probably not needed, but since you are doing it, you should probably just install Leopard retail as per Digital Dreamer's post but use my instructions/scripts for EFI Partition booting. It's actually real simple, and I am running almost the same setup as you (except for the cheaper i7 920 CPU). It's very stable and it update safe (I'm running 10.5.6 unmodified).

It was a Bios issue.

Now got kalyway up and running, ... got the 'blank menus' feature as I'm running 9800GTX+ card.

Will take a look at fixing that, installing the Retail version, and following your and DD's guides tomorrow.

My GeekBench score was smokin' :)

Cheers!

ALL CORES WORKING ON P6T DELUXE!!

Hey guys, I did it!

First, I must apologize to THEHAWKs for my jumping conclusion.

You are true, it was Alias problem.

I believed that DSDT patcher deletes Alias strings automatically, but it doesn't.

By deleting Alias, I can get all cores working. Not only 4 cores, I can enable HT so it works as 8 cores.

So, here is a METHOD.

1. Run the DSDT Patcher to make dsdt.dsl.

2. Open a dsdt.dsl in Debug folder by nano. like:

$ nano Debug/dsdt.dsl

3. Delete Alias strings.

Scope (_PR)

{

Processor (P001, 0x01, 0x00000810, 0x06) {}

Alias (P001, CPU1)

Processor (P002, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Alias (P002, CPU2)

Processor (P003, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Alias (P003, CPU3)

Processor (P004, 0x04, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Alias (P004, CPU4)

Processor (P005, 0x05, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Alias (P005, CPU5)

Processor (P006, 0x06, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Alias (P006, CPU6)

Processor (P007, 0x07, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Alias (P007, CPU7)

Processor (P008, 0x08, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Alias (P008, CPU8)

Processor (P009, 0x09, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Alias (P009, CPU9)

Processor (P010, 0x0A, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P011, 0x0B, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P012, 0x0C, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P013, 0x0D, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P014, 0x0E, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P015, 0x0F, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P016, 0x10, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

}

to

Scope (_PR)

{

Processor (P001, 0x01, 0x00000810, 0x06) {}

Processor (P002, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P003, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P004, 0x04, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P005, 0x05, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P006, 0x06, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P007, 0x07, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P008, 0x08, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P009, 0x09, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P010, 0x0A, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P011, 0x0B, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P012, 0x0C, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P013, 0x0D, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P014, 0x0E, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P015, 0x0F, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P016, 0x10, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

}

4. Run DSDT Patcher again on Terminal.

$ ./DSDT\ Patcher Debug/dsdt.dsl

5. Rename and copy dsdt.aml to root.

$ cp dsdt.aml /DSDT.aml

6. Now you can boot without cpus flag. ENJOY!

Finally, I really want to say thank you to THEHAWKs, without your reply, I might not get this result.

Can you link to that AppleAHCIPort.kext... I am not using those ports now, but I'll include it in the installer.
That's the same kext used in the my lastest Boot-132 installer. It's in the download bundle. I would think you may already have it.

I have not noticed the low volume, but my hack is being used as a server, so not much use for audio...
not a big deal, but wonder what others may conclude.

Hrmm... I have a few USB drives, and have not had a problem. Have you tried all USB ports (Front/Rear)
I've only tried a few of the back ports, don't have anything for the front, yet (with the board headers). It may be a issue with the USB drive. It mounts fine on the other machines (My G4 at home and at work).

I appreciate your work as well... Let's get this board working 100%!
We're practically there!

Also, I made a mistake using both SMBIOSEnabler.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext... You can remove one or the other.
Really? I know the Enabler is the one with the custom strings that you can change (ROM, Manufacturer, Model, Serial). I'll probably take the Apple version out, then.

Do you know if this list of kexts in the default install is the bare minimum for fully running system?

By any chance have you been able to get the CPU type to show without modifying the About this Mac plist? I am also wondering about the missing 3rd RAM card...
I think all of that info is part of the compiled binary in both of the AppleSMBIOS and SMBIOSEnabler kexts (in Mac OS folder). Somebody here has a custom-written AppleSMBIOSEFI version with source code that you can run in XCode, make changes, and recompile. My guess. I'm thinking Apple would include it shortly when they have a similar machine on the same architecture. But, given the number of coming Hackintoshes running on this motherboard, it may be worth the effort to look into it. You can go ahead. :D I've written Z-80 and 6502 assembly code (even memorized all the Z-80 opcodes!) back in the day, but these high level C and C++ languages I've never kept up with.

best regards,

MAJ

ALL CORES WORKING ON P6T DELUXE!!

Hey guys, I did it!

First, I must apologize to THEHAWKs for my jumping conclusion.

You are true, it was Alias problem.

I believed that DSDT patcher deletes Alias strings automatically, but it doesn't.

<snip>

Finally, I really want to say thank you to THEHAWKs, without your reply, I might not get this result.

Awesome ccx4700! And thanks, THEHAWKs.

ASUS users rejoice.

Now, is this something each user will have to do on their machine, or can it be a part of a installer file that can be distributed to those who need it?

regards,

MAJ

just out of interest, try booting your system with no usb keys in. then try using it. then try booting the system with one plugged in, then try using it.

notice anything?

Well, I know it doesn't work with no USB keys in during boot. But, haven't tried with it during boot. I'll look into that when I get home. BTW, I just looked at the partition map and find that it's Mac OS Extended on APM. APM isn't a problem now, is it?

regards,

MAJ

@AiBear:

- it is the intel AHCI that comes with the DVD, wich supports ICH10R

- well, enabling all cores in bios, even with flag cpus=2, wont boot..

- for the Lan working i had to change the file:

IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist

changed <key>Yukon-88E8053</key> to this <key>Yukon-88E8056</key>

changed <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053</string>

to this <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056</string>

changed <string>0x436211AB</string>

to this <string>0x436411AB</string>

repaired permissions

sudo chown -R root:wheel IONetworkingFamily.kext

on path /System/Library rebuilded kextcache with:

sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache

do a reboot and your ready to go :o

@ccx4700

- well, according to my Info.plist of AppleACPIPlatform.kext, it shows version 1.2.1..

hope that this can help you, if you want i can put some screenshots or upload files.

i will try you way to 4 cores :D hope i can manage to put them working :P

vry good job on the 4 cores.

UPDATE

on install of iAtkos5 ONLY 1 core must me enabled in bios.. after install, then you can enable 2 cores.

I have been trying to discourage people from wasting money on an Intel DX58SO:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=137184

As is, the Intel DX58SO only supports 6GB of triple channel RAM, while the Gigabyte boards support 24GB. Gigabyte is clearly the way to go for now, if Intel had supported 4GB DIMMs or added two more RAM slots on board the situation might be different.

I think we need to motivate Intel to get serious, no one should buy a Intel DX58SO until they fix the RAM problems.

Hi friends

Does anybody know of upcoming dual-socket boards?

Also, it would be great if somebody wrote a tutorial in the Genius Bar about OS X on Core i7 CPUs and related mobos (basically a summary of what you have already written here).

Thanks