Upcoming Intel X58 Mobos & Core i7 CPUs

1,154 posts in this topic

Got a few questions. I suppose you're using the IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext. Any other disablers? I notice others are using the AppleSMBIOS.kext and SMBIOSEnabler.kext. Any others needed for this system?

I started working on this last night and can boot from the EFI partition, but it restarts mid way through the boot. Tried adding the <key>Graphics Mode</key><string>"1280x1024x24"</string> to the Boot.plist to view the log, but no luck with that. Can't see where the culprit is, yet. Definitely need to add another kext or disabler.

Did you have to add the <key>OSBundleRequired</key><string>Root</string> flags to any of the kexts?

regards,

MAJ

can you list what kexts you have in EFI/Extensions? i'll see if i can give you a hand....

Hi Digital_Dreamer

Thanks for all of your kind guide.

I've been following your guide right now. And i'm in troulbe.

I have a HDD with a 10.5.5 retail DVD installed with pc_efi_v80. Somehow, this works with my new EX58-UD5. So, I was following exactly.

(My VGA is 3870, too.)

The Pre-patch and the retail installation went to smooth like your guide.

But it's about the post-patch.

After installation is done, I booted from the second HDD that I just newly installed.

But it never goes thru startup screen "Darwin...." looking like it doesn't have a bootloader.

I tried to install again, this time I was looking closely the post-patch processing on my terminal.

Everything went, OK, but one area, 'kernel install.'

On the terminal, when the 3 or 4 lines of the command related to kernel install, each command line executed but resulted in "no such a file or directory."

That was what was happening while executing ./post-patch.sh

Please, if you can, teach me what is wrong...

Thanks again.

JP

I replied to this already. ;)

MAJ

Ok, I'll have my details uploaded in a bit... I had a bit of a snafu. I didn't realize that the uuid changes if you erase (not format) a disk. So I was getting waiting for root device errors until I figured that out. I just HAD to start my install all over again to make sure I can do it from scratch before I tell other what to do.

Digital Dreamer... Try minimal kexts at first and then add one at a time to check for issues. Start with dsmos.kext, disabler.kext, smbiosenabler.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext. Of course System.kext if required for kernel.

can you list what kexts you have in EFI/Extensions? i'll see if i can give you a hand....

AppleHDA.kext (no use here I'm sure)

HDAEnabler.kext (same here)

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

JMicronATA.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

IOAHCIFamily.kext

AppleAHCIPort.kext

RealtekR1000.kext

Natit.kext (for my ATI 2600XT)

dsmos.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext (don't know what version, yet)

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

that's it, I think. I at work now, so going by memory.

Thanks!

MAJ

CI=Core Image

QE=Quartz Extreme

Your CPU probably hit 100% usage because it's not using the GPU (graphics card) and Open GL to draw the graphics. Once you get full support for those two Apple technologies, your graphics will feel more responsive. Check your System Profiler and under "Graphics/Displays" it should tell whether CI/QE is supported.

One other thing, does that MSI support 3 channel memory? I know even intel's board only supports two (for performance, they say). It looks like you're only using two DDR3 RAM channels with 4GB. Although it works, your i7 is designed with 3 channels in mind and you'll get a performance boost from adding the extra 2GB in the 3rd channel.

It supports 3 channel memory according to msi's site.

I looked at the CI/QE.

Core Image: Software

Quarz Extreme: Not Supported

Not the right answers I suppose! Thats why I am having {censored}y graphics performance. I run the opengl software and i got 14-17 FPS.

Any way to make things better?

Question regarding GA-EX58-UD5 Sleep...

It seems that USB turns off during sleep, and causes issues with USB Drives being "removed" unsafely. Also, I can not wake from sleep using USB keyboard/mouse for that same reason. I can only seem to wake from sleep using the power button.

Is there a BIOS/Software setting for this, or will I just need to live with it?

I looked at the CI/QE.

Core Image: Software

Quarz Extreme: Not Supported

Not the right answers I suppose! Thats why I am having {censored}y graphics performance. I run the opengl software and i got 14-17 FPS.

Any way to make things better?

Look for the proper kexts for your graphics card. You may need to try different kexts until you find the right one for you. I would look under the Graphic Card Hardware support Forum for your answer.

Question regarding GA-EX58-UD5 Sleep...

It seems that USB turns off during sleep, and causes issues with USB Drives being "removed" unsafely. Also, I can not wake from sleep using USB keyboard/mouse for that same reason. I can only seem to wake from sleep using the power button.

Is there a BIOS/Software setting for this, or will I just need to live with it?

Look for the proper kexts for your graphics card. You may need to try different kexts until you find the right one for you. I would look under the Graphic Card Hardware support Forum for your answer.

what kernel are you using for sleep? i cannot get it to work. the display just goes black, fans still run and thats it, just hangs there.

@ digital_dreamer i think i remember munky mentioning that some ata kexts had trouble loading from the efi partition, a similar problem to the audio kexts i believe

what kernel are you using for sleep? i cannot get it to work. the display just goes black, fans still run and thats it, just hangs there.

@ digital_dreamer i think i remember munky mentioning that some ata kexts had trouble loading from the efi partition, a similar problem to the audio kexts i believe

Voodoo v1

Sleep works properly now... I just upgraded to 10.5.6, I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

A couple of other issues before I release my EFI Partition Boot script...

1) Processor Speed shows 4GHz in About/Profiler (Sometimes is 2.67 but it now shows 4 for some reason)

2) Memory Speed shows 400MHz in About/Profiler (even with busratio flag)

3) Internal drives show as External with 10.5.5 or above. 10.5 shows as Internal.

4) Is there a way to display the actual processor type in About/Profiler?

5) I'm having some stability issues (Kernel Panic) with Mounting Disk Images with 10.5.6 and Voodoo kernel - Update with caution.

<snip>

But, you only have two channels filled. Not that it really means anything as regards the topic of this thread. But, 3 channel memory provides best performance when at least one slot is fill for each channel. So, that would be 3 x 2GB RAM = 6GB.

Not big deal, though. Let's make OS X run on this system first!

As mentioned, there are drivers for your card in the Graphics forum.

What?! 10.5.6 is out now?!!! Whoo-hoo!

MAJ

If anyone else updates to 10.5.6, can you let me know if you are getting kernel panics when mounting a disk image? This is killing me!

You got the update running at all?? :D

I just kept getting panicks after update, even booting with my 9.4.0 kernel... I'll try doing it with the new voodoo kernel, but I don't expect much difference, to be honest...

Or are you in the wonderful of booting from the EFI partition? (if so - are you running the Vanilla 9.6.0 kernel, or did you switch back?)

*update on this below*

On another note: I've been testing my rig some more, and this is what I came up:

- iDeneb 1.3 install boots without any changes, except the kernel (anything but Vanilla)

- After a fresh install, it seems the first boot (when you input your data) needs to be a safe boot, but I'm not entirely sure of this one... Anyway, it still takes a long time to boot, system seems to keep hanging at the "configd[xx]: InterfaceNamer: timed out waiting for IOKit to quiesce". I'm wondering if the configd[xx] isn't somewhat of a hint... But I can't find any file named configd... Ideas/hints?

- Voodoo 9.5.0 installs and works just fine, no problems for now

- Geekbench 32bits: [single core: 3515-3535]

Still haven't been able to enable multiple cores, even with the new voodoo kernel and the cpus=2 flag... Could it be install dependent, or is it the mobo you think? (I'm still on the Asus P6T ;) )

Whether I boot with all the cores, just two or even one, with or without HT, it keeps hanging at

MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

Only option that works is one core, no HT and *no* cpus=x flag...

Added while writing:

I installed the 10.5.6 update from another disk (otherwise it hangs mid update) on a voodoo kernel install. When booting with the Vanilla Kernel (9.6.0), there is no Kernel Panic occuring, but it does hang on "Still waiting for root device", after activating the USB (USBF: x.xxx AppleUSBUHCI: unable to initialize UIM message). Booting using the new Voodoo Kernel provides the same error, (hung once on FireWire boot, but might have been something else). Turning off USB helps, it boots - but without mouse or keyboard, which is far from ideal.. Having a second Mac (iBook, on 10.5.6 already), I thought I might solve this by logging in with Screen Sharing; that is - until I realised I hadn't set that up on the i7 :D ... So back to reinstalling 10.5.5 with new Voodoo (luckily, I had a image clone), setting up Screen Sharing, running 10.5.6 update... Which all takes enormous amounts of time, because of the slow booting - still around 10 to 15... Is there noone who can help me get rid of this? I would be very grateful! Anyway, it's of course after all this I discover it's just one single file, in the Pref's folder, com.apple.ScreenSharing.launchd, with "enabled" as it's only content, that does the trick.

Alas, here the story comes to an end (for now), as after putting my clone back, and all that, that partition now gives me a "boot0: error" message, meaning the filesystem is somehow borked... sigh I must say, at this point, it being past 2AM, the bed does look tempting, especially with an exam coming up this week :( Maybe just a little more...

*add*: Seems formatting the partition doesn't help, and I might have to repartition the whole drive. Unless anyone has an idea?

i7 System OS: Mac OS X 10.5.5 Leopard from iDeneb 1.3 (testing: 10.5.6) | Kernel: multiple (working: ToH 9.4.0, Voodoo 9.5.0; testing: Vanilla 9.6.0) | MoBo: ASUS P6T Deluxe | CPU: Intel Core i7 920 | RAM: 3 x 2GB OCZ Platinum Low Voltage @ 1333MHz | Graphics: ATI HD 4870 DK 1Gb (ASUS) on Iiyama ProLite E2607WS-1 | HDD: 2xWD Caviar Black 1Tb | Optical: ASUS DRW-20B1ST (not fully tested yet)| PSU: EnerMax Modu82+ 525W | Case: NZXT Apollo, Blue | Working OOB w/Kernel: LAN, S-ATA, FW, USB | Working w/Patch: S-ATA chipset naming, Audio out (stereo) | Not working: Multiple Cores, HT, Graphics

I am using Voodoo 9.5.0 Kernel on EFI Partition and ensured DSDT.aml (Patched DSDT) was loaded on the EFI Partition as well. Had no issues installing at all, no panics until I try to mount a DMG... Very strange. I'm am hoping this will be resolved with a Voodoo 9.6.0 kernel soon (or find out what else might be causing this). This did NOT happen on 10.5.5...

Also, on another note... I found out that IOAHCIFamily.kext was not being loaded from the EFI Partition. It needs to be removed from /System/Library/Extensions/. That's why I was seeing the Orange External Disks using the EFI Partition boot method.

hmm.. hi guys

my system is:

Intel Core i7 920 (watercooled)

Asus P6T deluxe

3ghz Gskill ddr3 1600mhz

9800GT 512mb

SUCESS here :) , i installed iDeneb 1.3 and it works like a charm.. i installed kernel 9.4 ( cant remember the name) the installation went OK and the first boot after install did took alot of time.. it was kinda stuck for a few minutes in "mdns Resolver bla bla ", after that minutes it went ok.

My graphic card is working good with all enabled, used nvinject 512 that came with the dvd ( 9800GT 512m ), my lan adapter onboard is working fine too.. my onboard soundcard is disabled so i couldnt give a try.. i'll do it tomorrow.

I had to disable 3 cores on bios and Hyperthreading too so the system could boot. :S

AHCI was enabled ( cant boot neither in RAID or IDE )

hope we can get the 4 cores with HT working soon :)

btw, i tried installing this ones:

iatkos 10.5.4 : cant even boot install

iatkos5 10.5.5 : can boot install with cpu=1 flag, after instalation done, i just cant get it to boot it hangs or reboots.

kalyway 10.5.2: can install, but cant boot to OS

ideneb 1.3: WORKING!

:D

I am using Voodoo 9.5.0 Kernel on EFI Partition and ensured DSDT.aml (Patched DSDT) was loaded on the EFI Partition as well. Had no issues installing at all, no panics until I try to mount a DMG... Very strange. I'm am hoping this will be resolved with a Voodoo 9.6.0 kernel soon (or find out what else might be causing this). This did NOT happen on 10.5.5...

Also, on another note... I found out that IOAHCIFamily.kext was not being loaded from the EFI Partition. It needs to be removed from /System/Library/Extensions/. That's why I was seeing the Orange External Disks using the EFI Partition boot method.

i need to install the dsdt patch too, want to get this sleep working. what gpu do you have? do you have any issues when it loads login window, for a few seconds the display should sleep as the bootloader passes over control to the os. but on mine, perhaps every 4 boots out of 10 the display will not wake back up. im using a 7300gt from a real mac pro, installed using natit as i cannot get efi strings to load it at all. i also have a radeon 4870x2 in the machine, which natit tries to configure, so that might be causing an issue. anybody got a good how to for efi strings???

i get a kp when starting a virtual machine in paralells 4.

to keep that extension in your mac hd, you need to increase the probe score of the one on your efi partition, that will ensure that the efi partition kext will be loaded over the one on your hd.

also, i had to patch my boot.plist for time machine to work.

For those running the poor brothers version of the gigabyte board for the i7 (GA-EX58-DS4) use psystar's realtek lan driver, installed with kext helper it works a treat. The audio is still proving to be a nightmare with the ALC888 driver, as is getting QE/CI working on the video.

So far DD's install method is proving to be the most stable and reliable method. Geekbench -> 7421.

Activity monitor only showing 1 processor - Anyone tried to flash DSDT? to get all the cores to show in Act Mon?

Failed installs:

Kalyway 10.5.1

iDeneb 1.3

iatkos 5

GA-EX58-DS4

6gb Gskill 1333MHz

i7 920

MSI 9800GT 512MB

SUCESS here :D , i installed iDeneb 1.3 and it works like a charm.. i installed kernel 9.4 ( cant remember the name) the installation went OK and the first boot after install did took alot of time.. it was kinda stuck for a few minutes in "mdns Resolver bla bla ", after that minutes it went ok.

Yeah, that'll be the StageXNU 9.4.0, according to the installer, works fine, but you might want to update to Voodoo as well :) Still can't resolve the hang myself, although it looks like you have it at another moment...?

I had to disable 3 cores on bios and Hyperthreading too so the system could boot. :S

hope we can get the 4 cores with HT working soon :)

Same problem with more people, although ccx4700 has got two cores working (see earlier post)

Back to trying the 10.5.6 update: Repartitioned my whole drive, reinstalled iDeneb 1.3 on two partitiones, installed kexts (just sata and sound), updated Kernel to Voodoo 9.5.0; booted one partition and installed the update on the other (installing the update on the boot partition gives the well known grey screen asking to reboot, which doesn't work well for your install...).

System boots on Voodoo Kernel, although it sometimes keeps hanging at a repetitive "still waiting for root device". I can't seem to find the Vanilla Kernel that came with the update, so I can't test that.

Kexts have to be reinstalled, including the ps2 kext (no keyboard! :( );

Installed all the available updates as well.

Further problems:

- Seemingly random freezes after a few minutes. (no idea what causes these)

- Sound won't work, even with Azalea reinstalled.

- Occasionaly terribly slow LAN. (precursor to freeze)

- On disk mount: TOTAL PANIC. (screenshot attached)

I can 'solve' these problems by backing up the extensions from my 10.5.5 boot, and importing them in 10.5.6, but I realise this is not what we mean to do. Old kexts and kernel won't leave much news when 10.5.6 is installed.

You can probably solve a few things by only importing the kexts needed, but I'm too much of a newb to know exactly which ones.

If anyone else updates to 10.5.6, can you let me know if you are getting kernel panics when mounting a disk image? This is killing me!

So yeah, I do get those. No idea where it comes from as of now... The issue has already been filed with the XNU project, so they'll be working on it (I hope). Did you have any other bugs?

i7 System OS: Mac OS X 10.5.5 Leopard from iDeneb 1.3 (testing: 10.5.6) | Kernel: Voodoo 9.5.0 | MoBo: ASUS P6T Deluxe | CPU: Intel Core i7 920 | RAM: 3 x 2GB OCZ Platinum Low Voltage @ 1333MHz | Graphics: ATI HD 4870 DK 1Gb (ASUS) on Iiyama ProLite E2607WS-1 | HDD: 2xWD Caviar Black 1Tb | Optical: ASUS DRW-20B1ST (not fully tested yet)| PSU: EnerMax Modu82+ 525W | Case: NZXT Apollo, Blue | Working OOB w/Kernel: LAN, S-ATA, FW, USB | Working w/Patch: S-ATA chipset naming, Audio out (stereo) | Not working: Multiple Cores, HT, Graphics

post-247280-1229440370_thumb.png

Hi Digital_dream!!!

Finally, I was able to follow your step. It works, great!

My system: i7 920, GA EX58-UD5, 1x3g DDR3 1333, HD 3870.

So far, it shows 7 cores on the profile and memory 533mhz (somewhere around)...

When it goes deep sleep, i have to push the power button to wake-up.

Other than that it's beuatifully running. I really appreaciate for your guide.

My next challenge would be a EFI-partition insntall with DSDT patch. I'm not that good with this hack, but I will try.

By the way, the GA MOBO works little wierd. I have seen other guys complaining too. When you change AHCI to Disable in bios, vice versa, it reacts starngely. It's just stuck at "Verfying DMI Pool.....ubdate success." I have to reset again and again. When I switch the SATA cable to different port, it happens too. Is this MOBO require RMA or just bios glitch to be fixed later version?

Thanks again and thans for the insanelymac.

For those running the poor brothers version of the gigabyte board for the i7 (GA-EX58-DS4) use psystar's realtek lan driver, installed with kext helper it works a treat. The audio is still proving to be a nightmare with the ALC888 driver, as is getting QE/CI working on the video.

So far DD's install method is proving to be the most stable and reliable method. Geekbench -> 7421.

Activity monitor only showing 1 processor - Anyone tried to flash DSDT? to get all the cores to show in Act Mon?

Failed installs:

Kalyway 10.5.1

iDeneb 1.3

iatkos 5

GA-EX58-DS4

6gb Gskill 1333MHz

i7 920

MSI 9800GT 512MB

I was able to install the iatkos 5i with "chameleon" bootloader & "9.2.0 TOH" kernel options. 'though I went to follow DD's install guide later, it worked pretty smooth.

i7 920

GA- EX58-UD5

1x3 g ddr3 1333

HD3870

Failed installs:

Kalyway 10.5.1

iDeneb 1.3

iatkos 5

GA-EX58-DS4

6gb Gskill 1333MHz

i7 920

MSI 9800GT 512MB

I was able to install the iatkos 5i with "chameleon" bootloader & "9.2.0 TOH" kernel options. 'though I went to follow DD's install guide later, it worked pretty smooth.

i7 920

GA- EX58-UD5

1x3 g ddr3 1333

HD3870

just realised i have been a retard with activity monitor only picking up one core. checked on my mac pro, and it shows it the same.... thought that was strange, so i double clicked on it, and 4 graphs come up! tried on my powermac i7 when i got home, and there it is all 8 cores showing in their beauty...

Smoothy your so smooth ;-)))))

Activity.tiff

Its so easy to make a man happy....just double click....

and I am still on 10.5.2, no KP, everything is working, fast, snappy, processor runs pretty cool with the noctua, and quiet, overclocked to 3.6, geekbench 9530, xbench 367nodisk 245disk, just waiting for my SSD to arrive...

@Aibear - i think i will go for vodoo kernel ^_^ hope i dont get "still waiting for root device"..

i had that message with this kernel, but because i installed it with RAID mode on bios (because my windows partitions are on another 2drives in RAID 0 ), so i just changed it to ahci to boot leopart. :(

Btw, do you have voodoo kernel stable right?

:P