• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

UncleRage

UncleRage

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Jazz, Blues and World music, photography, technology and its uses in education. Playing guitar,...
Preface: There's no condescending, elitist {censored}, nor flamethrowing in this post.

It's interesting to read some of the posts in this thread. Especially the notion that Windows is for the power user/developer. I personally find that my use of Windows is restricted to Sonar and CS3 (mainly due to the financial investment I have in filters, VST's and the like). When it comes to getting work done, out comes my primary laptop (a little NC4200 running Ubuntu); my 6515b runs Ubuntu and EarOS for media and my desktop now runs OS X except when I need to record or do photo/design work (and now that I've got CS3 for Mac, I'll be moving my Indesign work there). I've got a dual Xeon running FreeBSD that I picked up off of Geeks that sits in the closet for that pulls duty for all the media/web/torrent/print work.

So, I think I agree with Splits... I feel at a loss without a plethora of tools at my disposal.

Honestly, though, I actually feel more at home with OS X on my screen than I do w/ Microsoft's products... and if it weren't for the fact that some of my favorite tools either aren't ported to Darwin or don't work as I like them (terminator, I'm looking at you! I must, must, must have paneled, full screen consoles!), I could probably begin to phase Linux more to the back burner. Fortunately, my desk is big enough to handle both my desktop monitors and my laptop as well... so, I'm not crying. Besides, that's why the antediluvian gods invented SSH and Fuse. :D

I've been planning on building an Intel based hackintosh by year's end to replace this AMD... but I might just move the desktop fully over to DAW work, bite the bullet, tighten the belt and pick up a 24" iMac instead. I've got two sitting on my desk at work and my eyes do so love the quality of LCD that Apple packs in.

Yeah, enough rambling; and I've still got to finish this Moodle install/config for the morning.

Bluprint101

Bluprint101

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
"The difficulty of a system is comparable only to the ignorance of the end user.
--
Music is the voice of God, whispering her love to any who will listen".

"/rage
Плохой волк"

I'm from Ghana which is a windows dominated part of the world, i would only hear about Mac's when i was like 16 and then finally use OSX at 21 and see a real Ibook (old classic), a new 22" Imac----thats just an isolated example.

anyway my experience with using Leopard was like A blind man with new sight and learning to see.
I didn't know they could put so much thought into an operating system making it a lil smarter than your average Windows OS.

what i had to deal with and still dealing with is that.
i use to be a gamer till my VGA cards couldn't keep up with the new games so I had to give up wasting hours of my time trying to finish a game.

And The Big shocker for me was that Mac OSX versions of windows programs like Messenger:mac, Yahoo messenger, Office 04 were all genius created and smarter than their windows counterparts....

so yeah would have been difficult to make the change without internet at home,
and i do miss gaming sometimes and i have to code in SQL ----so VM Win 7

but i've found that Leopard is a much smarter way of computing and my primary use for a machine is more performance, Less distracting softwares, no ransoming Anti-virus companies. and smarter computing
So Leopard does it for me full time

Look for the reasons you compute, find an OS and its corresponding apps that work for you, weigh the merits and demerits and make it work for you!!!!

StrongWind

StrongWind

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

That's why you do what I do. Dual boot. duh osx is better than windowss for every other computing need I have except gaming. When I game I boot into windows. Everything else osx.

I agree, the best is to have dual boot of Windows and Mac so you must only restart your computer and you can start playing the games :D

vbetts

vbetts

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts
Okay.

FabricioGS

FabricioGS

Hackint0sh Lover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
Now that I have a new hardware (see signature) I'm curious about how would that config behave on Leo. But since my video card is not suporte yet I may wait for Snow Leo for now.

In the other hand I'm testing the Windows 7 Beta 1 right now and boy.. it seems very good. Found only one bug (my gadgets just wont work anymore) but for a beta OS it's very complete, stable and fast.

vbetts

vbetts

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts
Sorry, you gave up. You're not allowed to.

lachie.

lachie.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I've recently upgraded my old WinXP running Acer (1GB ram, 1.6 GHz processor) and got myself a 2.4ghz duel core 4gb ram macbook. As of yet I'm unsure what I prefer but I must say I'm deeply enjoying the Mac.

nixola

nixola

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
I love OS X it is faster and stronger compared to windows in many ways exsept in gaming :(
But of course there is this dual boot thing :)
O... jeah I install it because it is eyecandy,want to test it,mac are too expencive to by

Davirus

Davirus

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Everything new and original
Good thing Im not a gamer :3

Fernando Valente

Fernando Valente

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a MacBook Core 2 Duo. I don't feel limited on the Mac, but I feel limited on the Windows. I don't use Windows for anything. To me, Mac is good for gaming, programing, surfing the web, read e-mails, graphics and more. I really don't like Windows. Its bugs irritates me and I want a system that works. I don't have any problem with application compatibility, Mac OS X can run apps that does everything I need(and believe me, I'm a hard user). Anyway, if I need to use a Windows program, I install it under Crossover. Other reason I don't find Windows useful is because I need to use a UNIX-based system. I can't live without terminal. :/

undo_undo

undo_undo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
I've been a Windows user for ever since Win 3.0 came out .. and I develop & support applications on Windows platform. I also has bit of experience with using UNIX.

I never really had any interest of using Mac nor Mac OS (but I always thought that Apple made cute computers). Last year I thought about making apps for iPhone, so I figured that I should get a Mac Pro. But somehow I bumped into this site before I purchase MP, and the next thing I know, I have had OSX running on my PC :)

Leopard 10.5.7 ran nice. It had some strange bugs that caused my system to crash randomly. But Snow Leopard runs like true native OS made for PC. No crashes and ROCK solid. I LOVE IT. I do everything except for gaming on OSX, but don't have time to play games anyways. Windows 7 has improved A LOT and it is probably by far the best OS from MS to date, but I think OSX offers simple, elegant UI that allows more intuitive to use than Windows ever could. This alone makes OSX the winner for me.

hibbijo

hibbijo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Where one road ends another begins...

leafhound

leafhound

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Game playing on the PC is dying out, look at what happened with COD MW2. one of the biggest games ever released and they left PC users in favour of dedicated consoles. Partly because so much pirating is done on the PC with games it makes sense for game makers to favour consoles.

DarkHollow

DarkHollow

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't really see PC gaming dying especially since its so easy to pirate console games too. Its only a little harder to do but in the long run it doesn't make a difference since for consoles you can find someone to chip it for you then all you have to do is burn some disks.

(Also on a side note, I cant seem to create a new topic any ideas why I cant?)

KiD KuN

KiD KuN

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Well....for me...gaming was never an issue. Just occasional Counter Strike 1.6 at school when teachers are being boring! I have been monitoring this movement since deadmoo era! then lately i installed Leopard to my DV5 using the retail dvd that i jus bought for the sake of having an original Mac OS DVD. In my opinion, Leopard is okay. Usually people claim that windows is not good and always has errors and bugs. But after the intro of Windows 7....the game has changed. If a user knows how to manage his system, windows is awesome and good..Leopard was awesome in a way..i also felt some how limited because i couldnt run things like Msg Plus on Mac...and i dint want to dual boot or run a VM since i am a type of person who wants all the functions from one OS its self. Mac and yahoo arent the same on Mac when compared to windows. They feel very limited. If i could get some of the apps that i have on windows for Mac i would be happy to switch. Plus Mac as a hackintosh isn't really stable so there would be no point of risking by using it as my main system. When running Leo on my dv5 the system heats up aloot...i cant use it on my lap where as windows...evrything is managed really well..the system is always cool...not really hot..Leopard does have features i would want windows to have..But just that stability and appliaction compability isnt the same. If leopard supported my apps and ran my laptop in a good way. i would be more than glad to switch. personally i liek OS X..but windows is my man for now. I love windows 7 since evrything is JUST done. The messengers are perfect. Daily AUTOMATIC anitvirus updates keeps my PC running well.. Windows makes me more productive than when am using a mac! This is why i left Mac for good! unless anyone else has solutions to my problems!
Jus my 2cents. Pls do not flame me..I jus prefer windows over Mac since it is mainly a personal opinion of what is preferred by users. According to me Apple would make a lot of money if they were like MS and let Apple run on all machines!

Krishna21

Krishna21

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
..Your loss.

Besides, there's a function called dual booting. You go into the OS X Installer, format two partitions, one for OS X as HFS+, one for Windows as MS-DOS FAT, and use MBR. Install OS X. Then after that, go into the Windows installer, right click on the windows partition and click "Format" then install to the Windows Parttion. When done, insert your OS X Install DVD but don't push anything, let the countdown go, and it'll boot into the OS X Partition. Download Chameleon 2 RC2, you're done..

Before the text itself, wanna make clear I'm not revolted, sad or something like that... :P

After a very long time testing and using Mac OS X I decided to drop it for good.

Since Mac OS X was announced (OS 9 never seduced me) I always wanted to use it but of course Macs are expensive blablabla.. Then you guys break it to run on ours pcs. I started to test it the first versions, still very difficult to install and very buggy but I was a very happy person.

But All this time, I actually never used Mac OS very much. Let me explain.

I'm a gamer and 50% of the time I spend on my home computer is playing games. About 20% running overclock/graphics benchmarks, ~25% for surfing the net and guess about 5% programming ASP.Net. This last 30% wont be a problem because I enjoy surfing the net on OS X and I can run a virtual machine to program ASP.Net, but the other ~70% is what really matters to me.

I even tried playing some games on OSx86 but honestly, my mouse Razer is not well recognized giving me a very strange sensitivity under FPS games. And even with an 8800GT (one of the best vgas that works on OSX) "CI/QE enabled" it's clear to me that it's not half as optimized for games as it is in Windows (even on Vista).

Besides, I always trusted that "Macs are the best platform for video" but I had a terrible experience with iDVD. I know I know.. it's not a professional app, but I was expecting something like Convert2DVD. This program for Windows is extremely simple, flexible and convert almost every kind of video to DVD in my computer in half hour (or less). If I try to convert anything with ffmpegX on OSX for instance (the same video) it takes almost 5 hours and the visual result is terrible. Same thing with iDVD.

I think the challenge was good (to make OS X run smoothly on my pc) but I don't think this effort will keep me tight to this project anymore. Just posting to see if there some similar cases here, don't want to start a war over Win X OSX x Linux or something like that. Just saying OS X it's not for me, unfortunately.

travikk

travikk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yeah, I wish I could try out Mac...

area5x1

area5x1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Schools need to set up their Macs better =/

Oczo

Oczo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
I'm not giving up on OS X. I just busted my netbook (don't ask how). My next desktop computer will run OS X and possibly Windows (if I have any patience left for it).

One of the biggest differences I've noticed between Windows and OS X is the development environment. Developing for Windows is a migraine inducing nightmare whereas developing for OS X is really child's play. It is very easy, intuitive and actually enjoyable.

will1384

will1384

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
I use Crossover on my Hackintosh, it plays most of my Windows software and Games just fine,
and I have Parallels Virtual Machine, and that plays most of the rest, has near perfect openGL
and good DirectX support, that covers over 99% of the software I have tried, and it all works
in full speed

I also have a Gaming PC running Windows 7, and a Wii

I dont use the Gaming PC anymore :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy