Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R?

315 posts in this topic

Trying these settings out, mine crapped out on me after about a month of being perfectly stable.

These seem to work well, however I didnt see an option to disable speedstep in the bios anywhere.

EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology) I believe it is called in the BIOS just below the C1E option if my memory serves me well..

EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology) I believe it is called in the BIOS just below the C1E option if my memory serves me well..

lol yea i found it last night doing some googling...what are your temps like?

Newb here. I have not used boot-132 before, just premade kalyway and leo4all. Is this GA-45v2.iso supposed to be bootable? It looks similar to a generic.iso from boot-132 but I cannot seem to make it boot. I've burned 3 versions in windows and have not been able to make it boot on my hackintosh or on my vista laptop.

Thanks in advance,

Scooby2

WOOOOHOOOO, I am now working 100%! GA-EP45-DS3R, Bios F10, Intel Core 2 Duo E8500, EVGA 8800GT, 4GB RAM. I installed using a Retail DVD 10.5 install. Had a few hang ups along the way, but I am all there now. To help others along the way I set up a Boot 132 for this board. I just made the second version of it, fixes a couple minor issues the first one had. Here it is:

http://www.mediafire.com/?3rtgelijyzw

Well, I just burned through my second EP45-DS3R. Both times, it happened when I plugged in a firewire cable. Anyone else have better luck with FW?

Once the boards had burned out, they would just blink briefly when powered on with any periphery connected via the old style power connectors. When I unplug those, the board will power on fully but it immediately starts smoking near the 1394 case connector (and, of course, I would immediately cut the power).

Any pointers much appreciated!!

Sunkid,

I know Halloween is over, but now you got me spooked. I am planning to use my Hackintosh built for Video Editing and about to connect the FireWire 4p/4p from my motherboard's IE1394 to my Canon XL2. If I don't get an alarm from the good folks on this thread, I will proceed.

Steve

Newb here. I have not used boot-132 before, just premade kalyway and leo4all. Is this GA-45v2.iso supposed to be bootable? It looks similar to a generic.iso from boot-132 but I cannot seem to make it boot. I've burned 3 versions in windows and have not been able to make it boot on my hackintosh or on my vista laptop.

Thanks in advance,

Scooby2

I have had any issues getting this ISO to boot. Has anyone else had troubles? Please let me know and I will fix ASAP.

i am using FireWire for surround sounds via FireWave...no issues

My firewire port is working perfectly. No issues and no complaints. For the guy who killed two board when he plugged in his firewire cable, try a new cable.

Hey guys! Sorry for the absence after my initial queries. I was busy enjoying my hackintosh after Frys was kind enough to replace case and mobo. That did the trick and I am working under the assumption that the case had a short. I have not tried target disk mode or FW based networking between two machines again, but I have tested all 3 FW ports with other FW devices and they work fine.

Install took a while, mostly b/c I was trying to go off the two install DVDs that came with my MacPro at work. I ended up getting a retail DVD instead, which worked right away. Minimal BIOS changes now (only AHCI disk mode and hard drive boot order), sleep and restart work. Shutdown doesn't sometimes. Found the audio and network patches I needed... I'll add more specifics later, but it seems the iso that is floating around probably should do it for all interested in this board.

I have not played with overclocking or tried to make RAID work, but I would be interested in any pointers on either.

I can boot and install from,

Leo4allv2 and higher [tested v3]

Kalyway 10.5.1 & 10.5.2

iAkios 10.5.2

iDeben 10.5.5

none have issues...

Retail DVD boots as well...this board is flawless if you are having issues, double check that you are using the right bios settings with the right bios version and a SATA DVD drive...

I mentioned earlier that I have been having random shut down issues, tried various BIOS, BIOS settings, RAM settings, different PSU, different RAM. Could it be a problem with the CPU? Sometimes the system work well and then other times it craps out! Thanks

I mentioned earlier that I have been having random shut down issues, tried various BIOS, BIOS settings, RAM settings, different PSU, different RAM. Could it be a problem with the CPU? Sometimes the system work well and then other times it craps out! Thanks

maybe your PSU is still too small - calculate it hear http://web.aanet.com.au/SnooP/psucalc.php

ok you excluded the RAM - still more reasons: overheated graphics card and the cpu fan. if the fan doesn´t work as it should the system would also shut downto prevent further damages.

I have the apple usb full size keyboard. The only thing I miss is the pause button. Maybe there is a combo keystroke for it, but I haven't looked into it. Other than that it fells great and since I don't have an apple display, the two USB ports on each side of the keyboard are priceless. Apple full size USB keyboard + bluetooth mighty mouse really makes me feel like I own a Mac pro.

I take this back! The USB ports are useless. You can't use an ipod..well you can't charge one. I couldn't get the 8GB jump drive to work because it requires too much power. So for me it ended up being a useless keyboard. I now have the smaller bluetooth keyboard and love it. I have to keep a usb keyboard around to enter the bios, but other than that it is great. I also modified my boot to automatically bypass the bootloader prompt.

I take this back! The USB ports are useless. You can't use an ipod..well you can't charge one. I couldn't get the 8GB jump drive to work because it requires too much power. So for me it ended up being a useless keyboard. I now have the smaller bluetooth keyboard and love it. I have to keep a usb keyboard around to enter the bios, but other than that it is great. I also modified my boot to automatically bypass the bootloader prompt.

afaik you can´t charge your ipod on this ports even on a real mac. can someone proof that?

You know...I don't have random shutdowns, but when I restart my computer sometimes I can't get it to boot. It will just get into a boot loop. I have attributed this to my power supply. I only have a 4-pin 12V connector for the CPU power and I am thinking I need an 8-pin 12V. I am going to purchase a new PSU this coming weekend. I am actually kinda pissed because I just bought this power supply 2 years ago. Figured it would work out, but I guess not. Sometimes I can only get it out of the boot loop by flipping the switch on my power supply and counting to 30. Then I flip the switch, hit the pwr button and it kicks right over. I really hope this is a PSU issue. I don't wanna drop $100-150 on a new PSU and still have this issue.

As for random restarts while in the OS, I haven't had that issue at all. Once I am up and running I have had no problems staying running.

Sorry been a way for most of the weekend. I will take a look at it when I get home tonight.

Hey Maasey. Burnt it twice and same problem. Doesn't boot.

Another question for you guys. I know I saw the solution here in the forums, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

My Internal drive is showing up as an external drive. Would appreciate if someone could tell me what the fix for this is.

It is on the third page of this thread.

Ooops :unsure:

Thank you.

I used the tutorial here http://menoob.com/2008/09/04/hackintosh-in...il-dvd-on-a-pc/ and installed Chamelon with the extensions from Maasey's Boot123. The problem I'm having is that even though it contains the JMicron kext, the two JMicron AHCI shows up as unknown even though it was showing up as JMicron with iDeneb.

Also is the Chameleon from the above link the latest? And if I want to remove/add the kexts installed along with it, do I just re-install Chameleon with the kexts that I need?

Oh and another thing Maasey. You seem to have an 'Extensions.mkext' in the img file of your bootdisk. Is that necessary?

The GA-EP45-DS3R motherboard uses the Intel ICH10 chip instead of the ICH9 on the GA-EP35 motherboards. Therefore the ALC889a .kext file has to be modified with the new IO address for ICH10.

I have attached the necessary files, ALCinject.kext and AppleHDA.kext. You can also use the AppleHDA.kext with HDAEnabler.kext instead of ALCinject.kext.

MacGenius (ccg)

Hi i have this board GA-EP45-DS3R ..I have all my system worked except my audio drivers...

I already download this file ALCinject.kext but i don't know how to install it..

Thank's for your help

Diogo