Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R?

315 posts in this topic

ok, i didn't check any network-drivers in the installation.

Audio worked after installing the kext referenced to in this thread 889A something.

I then also played around with EFI studios. and hokus pokus. It worked.

Can choose from:

Internal Speakers(actually green line out)

Headphones(front sound plug)

Line out(havn't tested)

Digital out(havn't tested but should be coaxial and fiber-link)

EDIT:

Network working! The network switch for this part of the house had turned of beqause of unknown reasons.

I suspect powerouts caused by lightnings.

EDIT 2:

People owning G5 Ipods should watch out for having them plugged in at boot.

Memory test during bios boot will fail for some reason.

EDIT 2:

People owning G5 Ipods should watch out for having them plugged in at boot.

Memory test during bios boot will fail for some reason.

!!

This happened to me several times with an external Western Digital hard disk. Instead of memory test it just shows "Mem-" and it enters in an infinite reboot loop.

I have EP45-DS3R, so far it all works except the sound.

This is not a new install so I have a few issues with the sound. I replaced my MSI 975x PPUE since I accidentally damaged my socket 775 for the CPU. Running Q6600.

Ran straight out of the box with a few changes in the BIOS, I had to enable AHSI and disable Native SATA mode. Only thing now is to get all my Adobe software reactivated and straighten out the sound driver. If you know where I can get the driver I would appreciate it. I just now booted up so I haven't tested everything but it seems fine at first glance.

Check my signature. I installed using Osx86 tools and then efi-studios.

I tried a new install on a new disk and could not get it to install with any of the hacked installs. I then tried to install using boot loader 123 with retail disk 10.5.1 and it failed to even get in to the install GUI dialog. Currently my EP45-DS3R has 8GB, q6600 and a Nvidia 8800GT. I must be be doing something wrong. I hope you could list how your BIOS is setup and I hope others could share their BIOS setup for this particular mobo. I have a feeling my BIOS might be setup wrong.

Regards

yeah, i could try to export the settings to a file or write them dowm.

Im using firmare F8 btw. Will try to report back as soon as I can.

EDIT:Here are my complete settings(the important ones).

Thank you so much for the input. This will be very helpful. First thing I'll do is update to F8 version for the BIOS. Didn't realize mine is F4.

Had some success with a new install with JaS 10.5.2 using Koplimi's BIOS settings.

I updated to 10.5.3 and 10.5.4 using Mysticus C's Delta updates.

Problems encountered:

1. No sound support.

2. Using NVinject.kext with Nvidia 8800GT 512. Video seems fine at first glance but cannot utilize system color management. OSx monitor calibration or 3rd party monitor calibration hardware doesn't work. It was working fine on my previous install to a different mainboard MSI 975x PPUE with the same drivers. This needs to be fixed somehow because a Mac without color management is pretty useless for photography or graphic arts.

3. Cannot unmount secondary hard drives that I use for backup nor can I erase them.

4. Only using one core on a Quad.

These are the major problems for me but I haven't had a lot of time to go over everything. I seem to be getting an error message at the end of the shutdown but it shuts down so fast I can't get a good read. Everything else seems to be very nice and very stable and all energy management modes work great. One thing I did notice was an increase in performance off this board. I really like the overclocking feautres. Other than my litte problems this board is sweet and well worth the effort and time to tweak the system. I love the board.

Things I've updated at the moment:

I had to disable native SATA 0-3 in order to solve the dismount and mounting of secondary drives. Must have been conflicting with AHCI?

Thank you so much for the input. This will be very helpful. First thing I'll do is update to F8 version for the BIOS. Didn't realize mine is F4.

I just got my mobo working correctly last night. I think I am on F7, but my settings match these as well.

I used iATKOS 4i (10.5.4), and to get sound working correctly, I deleted ALCinject.kext, and replaced with HDAEnabler.kext and AppleHDA.kext from wiki.taruga.net

I also have GA-EP45-DS3R, Q6600, 4G ram, 8800GT, SATA WD 250G Hard Drive, SATA DVD - must use USB keyboard and mouse, and SATA DVD drive (mine was Samsung from a Dell PC).

hello everybody, this is my first post here,

I have ep45-ds3r board and a lot of problems with it,

my setup is:

ep45-ds3r mobo - rev 1.0, f8 bios version

intel q9450 processor- no overclocking

ati 3870 hd graphics

2gb ddr2 ram memory (slot 1)

sata hdd (sata 0 )

sata dvd drive (sata 1)

I used all tips regarding this board, and still with no luck - I am using iatkos v4 and after installing and after restart I get that gray screen telling me "you need to restart your computer"

installation works very well, similiar thing happens with kalyway 10.5.2 - after succesfull installation it never stands up.

any ideas about what might be wrong?

hello everybody, this is my first post here,

I have ep45-ds3r board and a lot of problems with it,

my setup is:

ep45-ds3r mobo - rev 1.0, f8 bios version

intel q9450 processor- no overclocking

ati 3870 hd graphics

2gb ddr2 ram memory (slot 1)

sata hdd (sata 0 )

sata dvd drive (sata 1)

I used all tips regarding this board, and still with no luck - I am using iatkos v4 and after installing and after restart I get that gray screen telling me "you need to restart your computer"

installation works very well, similiar thing happens with kalyway 10.5.2 - after succesfull installation it never stands up.

any ideas about what might be wrong?

I too had a P45 Mobo from Gigabyte and a hda3870. I was able to install 10.5 vanilla but no upgrades, every upgrade beyond 10.5.2 messed up and i got kernel-panics or whatever. I even replaced the P45 with a P35 Board only to see the same problems. It was after i replaced my hd3870 with a 8800GT that i finally found everything working!!!!

So, take a hard look on your graphics, maybe you are like me and have a somewhat unusual konfiguration with gddrwhatever-ram which didn't work.

• 2 weeks later...
I just got my mobo working correctly last night. I think I am on F7, but my settings match these as well.

I used iATKOS 4i (10.5.4), and to get sound working correctly, I deleted ALCinject.kext, and replaced with HDAEnabler.kext and AppleHDA.kext from wiki.taruga.net

I also have GA-EP45-DS3R, Q6600, 4G ram, 8800GT, SATA WD 250G Hard Drive, SATA DVD - must use USB keyboard and mouse, and SATA DVD drive (mine was Samsung from a Dell PC).

could You please tell me how did you make the sound work, what should I do after installing and deleting the right kexts? do You change something with strings?

thanks in advance for reply

p.

Is your audio working yet? I've uploaded the audio linux codec file for Taruga HDApatcher here in this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry883073

The GA-EP45-DS3R motherboard uses the Intel ICH10 chip instead of the ICH9 on the GA-EP35 motherboards. Therefore the ALC889a .kext file has to be modified with the new IO address for ICH10.

I have attached the necessary files, ALCinject.kext and AppleHDA.kext. You can also use the AppleHDA.kext with HDAEnabler.kext instead of ALCinject.kext.

MacGenius (ccg)

889a.Audio.ICH10.zip

The GA-EP45-DS3R motherboard uses the Intel ICH10 chip instead of the ICH9 on the GA-EP35 motherboards. Therefore the ALC889a .kext file has to be modified with the new IO address for ICH10.

I have attached the necessary files, ALCinject.kext and AppleHDA.kext. You can also use the AppleHDA.kext with HDAEnabler.kext instead of ALCinject.kext.

MacGenius (ccg)

I used regular alc889a.kext with my ga-ep45-ds3r and it forks fine, I found one little problem only, when the computer stays untached for a while - when I move my mouse or hit any key it makes loud, short noise on the audio output, do You think Your new kext might fix it?

Can anyone using this board with a Q6600 confirm that they are getting all 4 cores with no problems?

I'm thinking of getting this board to replace a Foxconn G965 one that refuses to boot except with CPUS=1 (I managed to get it to boot once with all 4 cores, after a bios update, but can't now).

Andrew

I used regular alc889a.kext with my ga-ep45-ds3r and it forks fine, I found one little problem only, when the computer stays untached for a while - when I move my mouse or hit any key it makes loud, short noise on the audio output, do You think Your new kext might fix it?

I am using Taruga's AppleHDA.kext with my GA-EP43-DS3, it's ALC888, same symptom here, I assume it's common problem with ALC series audio chips.