OS X on the MSI Wind, Before it's Released

687 posts in this topic

Could you check with webcam your Wind has (under "System Profile" ---> USB). If it's BisonCam, it should also list either v 0.02 or 0.03. TIA

I have 0.02 in Sys Profiler.

Anyone tried 10.5.6 yet?

My Wind works with 10.5.6

I got a Retail install and everything updated at 10.5.6

Deesleep is working good , even though I noticed some small issues:

- when wake it up from deep the time and date is displayed wrong

- when wake it up from deep , after removed battery , the wifi is no more able to switch on

Anyone experienced the same ?

hi folks, mirorring eventually work in my wind without artifact (I already test it for 4 hours) :) .

I use intelframebuffer.kext from Kamikaze and modified intelgma950.kext stock from 10.5.6, and use EFI string.

but full mirroring only work, when before boot mac press fn+f2

proof -->http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/8214/gmata9.jpg

download link -->http://www.mediafire.com/?f1yihjwmmzz

enjoy...

update...little artifact found with itunes.

OK

I must give some updates about my small issue :

- using continuosly the deepsleep I've noticed the time and date prob, sometime after few mins the clock get sincronized on yourself , sometime I open syste preferences (date Time) and it's being updated immmediately

- About wifi , it's a question of remember to switch on (Fn+F11) the wifi before the "Wale Kernel!" process is finished and there is no prob on using deesleep at all.

Hope this helps someone

I have just successfully installed OSX on my Wind over the last couple of days. I used the technique described here, and it worked flawlessly.

However, I have been completely unsuccessful in figuring out what to do to install the Realtec WiFi drivers. I have downloaded the package from RealTek (and a couple of other places), unzipped, run the installer, rebooted, and gone to network prefs. I do not see any choices, or drop boxes like the ones depicted elsewhere. Running the Reatek WLAN utility, does nothing. There is no indication that anything is running. I am sure I am missing a minor, but important detail.

Any help for a newbie would be appreciated.

Hello! I have read on a lot of internet sites and watched a hole bunch of movieclips on youtube, but i havent been convinced that the MSI Wind with OSX deliver enough performence for my purpose, so i have some questions that i will be very grateful if you guys can anserw.

1.) I have never owned a mac, but im in love with apple since I bought a 2G iphone in LasVegas 1,5 year ago. My thoughts is that a msi wind with a single boot of OSX could be the right, and cheapest way to enter the apple world. My purpose with the system is to do some schoolwork "on the fly", surf the internet and to take advantage of great things that osx offer, for example iphoto, imovie e.t.c. Do the MSI Wind have the performence to bring all of this features to me in a flawless way?

2.) The MSI WIND almost have the same systems specs as the old macbook, except for the processor. If you macusers can tell me the difference in peformence between this to machines and try to compere them i would be very grateful.

I will be very grateful for all of the anserws you can give me and sorry for my bad English

Brg

Axel

iMovie maybe no.

I use my Wind in college for Wifi, Movies, Word, Powerpoint, etc and it works very well. It is infact very fast.

I wont say it is as fast a MacBook, but it is pretty close. Also the Wind does not lag at all also running most apps. Infact it even runs Spore.

I have just successfully installed OSX on my Wind over the last couple of days. I used the technique described here, and it worked flawlessly.

However, I have been completely unsuccessful in figuring out what to do to install the Realtec WiFi drivers. I have downloaded the package from RealTek (and a couple of other places), unzipped, run the installer, rebooted, and gone to network prefs. I do not see any choices, or drop boxes like the ones depicted elsewhere. Running the Reatek WLAN utility, does nothing. There is no indication that anything is running. I am sure I am missing a minor, but important detail.

Any help for a newbie would be appreciated.

First, make sure that your wireless is powered up. Check for the wireless power light (second from the left). If you don't have the power light, hold down the Fn key and kit F11 to turn on the power to the wireless card.

If you have the wireless power light, use a utility like Kext Helper to install the proper .kext files for the Realtec card. This utility will put the files in the right place and correctly set the permissions. Be sure to reboot.

Once the driver or .kext files are correctly installed, launch the Realtek WLAN Client Utility. Select the second tab labled "profiles" and add a profile for your desired wireless network connection. You should be able to connect to any networks that are open or encrypted if you have the correct key. If the SSID for your network is not broadcast, just enter the correct name and you still be able to connect as long as you have the correct encryption keys.

Double check your connection by going to "system preferences" and selecting "Network". You should see a ethernet network available (but maybe not connected). If you don't see a ethernet connection check that you haven't loaded any conflicting network drivers. If you installed from the msi osx86 iso this shouldn't be a problem. If you used a different iso, just unselect the network drivers during the re-install process to be sure that you don't have any conflicts.

______

Regarding installation from a pen drive, the msi osx86 iso installs to a USB thumb/pen drive very nicely and boots much faster than any dvd. You will need a 4gb USB thumb drive. From Windows you can use the ddmac copy procedure found online to copy the bootable .iso file to your pen/thumb drive. The screens for the ddmac util are not in english so be sure to look at the image provided with the zip to decode the correct check boxes. (don't select tboot, don't select write to drive until after you have selected the iso file)

The other method is to use disk utilities and actually install to a thumb drive. You'll need an 8gb for this type of install.

For both methods I would recommend starting with a USB drive formated in FAT32 and recognizable in windows.

You may have to go into your BIOS on startup and change the boot order to give the USB drive top priority.

-R)

Does anyone have som more experince of the wind vs the old macbook and macbookair.

If I have understand right....the only problem that stands with the wind + osx leopard is the built-in mic? All OOB built-in wirelessnetworkcards are working flawless nowadays?

Yes you are correct, built in mic not working yet.

Headphone socket has to be switched on by using a script.

I hear these problems have all been fixed, we just have to wait for a new release to be put together.

Also if you have a Bison webcam it may not work in Photobooth depending on the model.

Cheers :rolleyes:

Hugh

I know this is really lazy but is there like one post with instructions that tells how how to get everything except the mic working? :rolleyes:

I just can't don't have the time to go through 33 pages on this topic and how ever many pages in other threads to figure out what the latest updates are and how to apply them.

I know this is really lazy but is there like one post with instructions that tells how how to get everything except the mic working? ;)

I just can't don't have the time to go through 33 pages on this topic and how ever many pages in other threads to figure out what the latest updates are and how to apply them.

http://wind-osx86.wikispaces.com/Leopard+Retail+DVD

:rolleyes:

Does anyone have som more experince of the wind vs the old macbook and macbookair.

If I have understand right....the only problem that stands with the wind + osx leopard is the built-in mic? All OOB built-in wirelessnetworkcards are working flawless nowadays?

As an owner of both a Macbook Air and a Wind U100, I must confess that I use the Wind more often and enjoy using it just as much. It's just as fast, even with only 1GB of RAM, and is the perfect size to carry around everywhere.

HOWEVER, note:

Built-in mic is non-functional, unless you want to rewire it to an internal (or one of the externals) USB bus, but that's far beyond my ability.

Headphone port is non-functional, unless you use a script to enable it.

Stock 3-cell battery will last you about 1:45-2:00. I haven't tried Coolbook, which is supposed to dramatically increase that, but the battery simply isn't as good as the Air's, unless you have the 6- or 9-cell version.

You will have to pop out the "Alt" and "Windows/Command" keys and swap them.

All of the function buttons (volume, brightness, wi-fi, sleep) work, but only the volume keys have the HUD adjustment.

The Realtek WLAN Utility Client for the stock Realtek Wi-Fi card works great, but it is ANNOYING.

The card reader works perfectly.

All in all, the Air is probably a better computer, but $1450 better it ain't. With a little software tweaking (and hardware if you're feeling bold) the Wind is a very capable little OS X machine.

First, make sure that your wireless is powered up. Check for the wireless power light (second from the left). If you don't have the power light, hold down the Fn key and kit F11 to turn on the power to the wireless card.

If you have the wireless power light, use a utility like Kext Helper to install the proper .kext files for the Realtec card. This utility will put the files in the right place and correctly set the permissions. Be sure to reboot.

Once the driver or .kext files are correctly installed, launch the Realtek WLAN Client Utility. Select the second tab labled "profiles" and add a profile for your desired wireless network connection. You should be able to connect to any networks that are open or encrypted if you have the correct key. If the SSID for your network is not broadcast, just enter the correct name and you still be able to connect as long as you have the correct encryption keys.

Double check your connection by going to "system preferences" and selecting "Network". You should see a ethernet network available (but maybe not connected). If you don't see a ethernet connection check that you haven't loaded any conflicting network drivers. If you installed from the msi osx86 iso this shouldn't be a problem. If you used a different iso, just unselect the network drivers during the re-install process to be sure that you don't have any conflicts.

-R)

Thanks for your detailed help. I discovered that my Wind has the Ralink WiFi. I downloaded their client untility and things are working great. Now if the mic and headset would work, I would be real happy.

Thanks again.

MB