10.5.3 Update Guide

iSkylla

299 posts in this topic

yeah, I lost Restart too. I see "Mach REboot", then the screen goes black, and I have to hit the restart button on my box. Shutdown is just like before, screen goes black, sometimes have to hit power button, sometimes don't.

OK, maybe 10 seconds, but it is helluva lot faster than it was before - about 5 spins of the "spiral thingy" during the grey boot screen with the Apple logo.

Before it was about 25.

Also, "Restart" got FUBARed too. DAMN!

Do you use NVinject or EFI-strings? For me the things that slow the booting down quite a lot are :

Firewire: lead to long boot time. I have partly solved this by using all the 10.4.9 firewire kexts. Still the OHCI controller takes some time and gives a dummy USBF message. Again I don't really need it (as I use USB keyboard, etc). So deleting OHCI related kexts helped me solve the USBF messages and boot time. Unfortunately OHCI controller is also a cause of loss of wake up from sleep (using third party USB cards; this occurs on real macs as well) and deleting this kexts does not help in sleep issue either.

ALCinject: not that much though

NVinject: few seconds

mdsResponder: few seconds more than needed

Black/Blue screen: apparently this is the place where it takes almost 10-15 seconds (and console shows no related messages). The black screen usually 3-5 seconds. Blue screen usually 5-10 seconds. Don't know how to solve it. I read somewhere removing geforce.kext helps in getting rid off black screen. But I lost QE/CI after this. So I put it back.

All in all, the usual boot time is 40 seconds.

Apparently, if I just restart (rather than shutdown and then start again), the booting is heluva faster using 25 seconds or so (consistently lower). Don't know why direct restart would be faster than starting after shutdown. Its not that information is retained in memory or is it?!

Any one have any suggestion? :)

Apparently i'm an idiot.

I ran through the previous 10.5.2 without issue and followed the original post in this thread the script seemed to be running and the combo update was about halfway through when the system crashed. Now I've got boot issues where it cant locate the right CPU kext.

Can anyone point me to a resource. Did some preliminary search but didnt see anything off the bat.

I really should have read more of the thread.

I love how some people are telling "now my system is running faster than before".

Yeah sure, placebo effect ftw !

LOL in my case OpenGL and overall graphics decreased its performance, but with previous kexts all back to previous performance.

Hi all.I've fixed the restart/shutdown problems following this guide:http://leopard.ihack-case.dk/index.php/RebootFor the CI/QE issue, I've given up NVinject a long time ago. Now I have the most stable/up to date Hackintosh ever!
Tried this, no change. Restart still basically shuts down the OS without rebooting the computer, Shut Down does the same exact thing.If you're not using NVInject for your video card, what ARE you using??
installed update, now my system freezes up after a few minutes running? Any idea why?
Did you install a patched update for an AMD processor?

so

my ga p35 d3sl has an issue: the audio wont work. after installing 10.5.3 it just disappears, even out of the menu bar, and when i press my volume up/down buttons, nothing happens. also, audio midi setup doesnt recognize it either.

i tried reinstalling the packages from the leo4all disk, but to no avail.

also:

my saphire 2600 pro is not working (qe/ci). i tried reinstalling the packages from the leo4all dvd too. i heard about entering my device id in a ktext, but which one?

thanks!

Oh yeah, I upgraded my Thinkpad T60p (BrazilMac, 10.5.2, no EFI) after following the above instructions and backing up these files:

../Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext

../Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

../Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext

../Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext

../Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext

../Extensions/System.kext

../SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle

/mach_kernel

And I reinserted my device and vendor ids back into these new files before I rebooted:

../Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext

../Extensions/IO80211Family.kext

*Poof* everything worked on the first shot, yay! Note: this is almost verbatim what I did when going to 10.5.2 per netkas instructions. I guess I need to keep my eyes peeled for a new 10.5.3 kernel next, heh.

I love how some people are telling "now my system is running faster than before".

Yeah sure, placebo effect ftw !

While it's not a huge speed up the benchmarks seem to bear that out as being the case. At least on my system. The only changes I made after the update were to repatch my sound and reinstall mac.nub's latest SMBIOS.

Toonces

post-215680-1212039186_thumb.jpg

Failed... ;)

Hangs at the blue screen just defore the desktop loading

I'm planning to boot from the installation DVD, delete the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, replace the SMBIOS and AppleGMA950 from backup, repair permissions, touch the /System/Library/Extensions, pray and reboot.

you need to replace appleintelintegratedframebuffer.kext from your previous kexts

How can you inject the .kexts after the install and not be able to boot into leopard at all?

Boot from the leopard boot CD and run the injection program through terminal?

Edit:

Revising question.

So I forgot to inject the kexts i backed up before rebooting.

Now when I boot, I get no errors in verbose, but after the Apple Loading screen, a quick flash of a blue screen happens and then my screen goes off, like what happens when the laptop doesn't wake from sleep.

So basically, is there anyway of injecting the .kexts after?

Any help would be great.

Upgrading from Kalyway 10.5.2

Dell e1405 with Core 2 Duo T7200

Just curious, does the 10.5.3 update include the Leopard Graphics update from 10.5.2? Wondering if it's possible to go from 10.5 directly to 10.5.3 in one step. Thanks.

Had to reinstall, used EFI, pre-patch, 10.5, then 10.5.3 (combo), postpatch and I now have a fully vanilla Leopard 10.5.3 install with everything full working on an Asus P5W DH Deluxe. Woo-hoo!

Guest pleaseregister
I'm getting Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort.

Tried to use the IOAHCIFamily.kext from the 10.5.2 backups, no luck so far.

Any ideas?

Just disable AHCI support in your BIOS. Worked perfectly for me (GA-P35-DS3L). Guess I'll wait until patched 10.5.3 versions of the AHCI framework come out.

at the start of osx, you see a few text lines coming up,

and a counter, usually from 5 down to 0.

within the counter counts, hit F8

( usb legacy support on in bios, maybe otherwise your keyboard doesnt work)

type -v next to boot and hit enter.

then the kernel starts in verbose mode and displays all he does and errors.

This Guide is meant for hardcores and those are willing to take risks. If you are new to the scene , try my other method. It gives you OSX 10.5.3 while retaining your current kernel and drivers. This shouldn't cause any problems at all regarding your hardware issues. Once the new kernel is out for (pentium d users like me) , we can patch it. So if you don't know what is heads or tails and you dont have EFI , don't try this thing. Chances are you'll mess up your installation.

If you are adventurous like Indiana jones ,then go for it !

I wont be playing around with my 10.5.2 install then will wait for a update to be released from Kalaway or a 10.5.3 dvd to install it straight.I wonder if it is safe to install the security update 2008-03?

You have to back up your extensions. AppleSMBIOS, AppleHDA, NVinject etc...

This is the problem!

For example: I'm from Kaly 10.5.2, vanilla kernel BUT nvidia driver from Kaly installation, modified HDA xml file to make recognize my alc882...

How can I determine which kext must selectively be saved before the upgrade?

Substantially: I want all the new kexts from Apple except those required to make my hack works (the files from Kaly install).

Which is the method to find them?

Thanks in advance