X700 and other PCIE ATI Radeon finally work

koverg

923 posts in this topic

It works with my X300 on Thinkpad T43!

However, the X300 on my laptop has only 64MB RAM but it reports as VRAM(Total) 128MB, is this normal?

Also, I'd like to know how to fix the mouse problem.

Thanks heaps koverg! :hysterical:

I can confirm that this does not work with ATI x200 integrated graphics. Device ID = 0x5A62.

Bummer.

koverg!

you and i have pretty much the EXACT same setup. i have the p5wd2 premium and the pentium d 820. a few questions for you...have you gotten your onboard audio working? what version of os x are you running? i just got the disc for 10.4.4 and installed...i am currently trying to get audio and onboard ethernet working, so any help you can give would be fantastic!

thanks!

In order to get the networking up and running on 10.4.4 you need to grab the 10.3.3 kekt:

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext

not the entire IONetworkingFamily.kext; just that one part ... and it'll work perfectly.

It works on my ATI X800 PCIe 128M (554f). Thank you!

There is mouse artifacts. Also, sometimes when I move a window, the contents in that window is suddenly screwed and I have to use F10 to refresh it.

As for the resolution, I put "Graphics Mode"="1680x1050x32" at boot but when OSX loads it turns out to be 1400x1050x32. Anybody knows how to get 1680x1050?

Edit: My OSX is a patched 10.4.5. My PC is Dell 4700 Dimemsion.

question: I have a x800gtoa on agp the device id is 554f - but is on agp ? It is working the patch ? any succes on agp cards ? if no, any ideea if it will be fixed ? I am at job now, but and I will try the patch when I will go home .. cross my fingers ....

question: I have a x800gtoa on agp the device id is 554f - but is on agp ? It is working the patch ? any succes on agp cards ? if no, any ideea if it will be fixed ? I am at job now, but and I will try the patch when I will go home .. cross my fingers ....

I dont know. Nobody reported a working AGP card. Why don't you give it a try? Please firs do not run the patch just simply put the device id into Info.plist, do kextcache tricks and see what happens.

If it doesn't work than run the patch and please report the results here.

Thanks in advance.

I just ordered my system today and I had decided to just stick with the intel GMA 950 graphics since I could not find a concrete way to get any of the "X" series radeons working. After reading your post I have already ordered an x800 128 meg PCIe card to use this with. Thanks for your efforts!

I have update (edited) my first post on this topic to reflect the current state of the "project".

Please send your results here and don't forget to mention the device id. May be I can figure out what is wrong with a few cards.

Cheers! And thanks for so many smilies in this topic!!!!

I just ordered my system today and I had decided to just stick with the intel GMA 950 graphics since I could not find a concrete way to get any of the "X" series radeons working. After reading your post I have already ordered an x800 128 meg PCIe card to use this with. Thanks for your efforts!

i have gma900 onboard video. at this time i'm using the x800GT, but the experience is better with the gma900s at this time.

examples... you can't play games that change the resolution, or have a fullscreen iTunes visualization with the x000's yet.

so in other words, for people without supported video this is a godsend or at least a kovergsend. :dev: but for a real seamless mac experience the 900's are still superior.

i'm using the Mousepose fix, and it's ok.

i have gma900 onboard video. at this time i'm using the x800GT, but the experience is better with the gma900s at this time.

examples... you can't play games that change the resolution, or have a fullscreen iTunes visualization with the x000's yet.

so in other words, for people without supported video this is a godsend or at least a kovergsend. :dev: but for a real seamless mac experience the 900's are still superior.

Damn! So there is no hope for my warcraft 3 addiction?! Then again, I don't believe the game changes resolutions... except for movies during the story mode.. which I never play. I guess we'll see what happens. Already bought the card, no going back now. :-(

Ok then I just stick to getting a X1600XT card...

Can the people with T43s list their device IDs and OS version? Would be really helpful.

I have a T43 and 10.4.4 and Device ID 0x0405 and it's a no go so far.

Edit - I presume vmware will display the correct video card device ID, right?

And what about the speed difference? Can you post XBench results with GMA900 and X800GT?

Thanks

Can the people with T43s list their device IDs and OS version? Would be really helpful.

I have a T43 and 10.4.4 and Device ID 0x0405 and it's a no go so far.

Edit - I presume vmware will display the correct video card device ID, right?

I may be incorrect, since it's been a loooooong time since I've used VMware for anything, but I would suspect that it may not acutally give you a correct ID because it is emulating hardware. Please don't take my word for the bible though as I could be totally wrong.

I may be incorrect, since it's been a loooooong time since I've used VMware for anything, but I would suspect that it may not acutally give you a correct ID because it is emulating hardware. Please don't take my word for the bible though as I could be totally wrong.

Check the vendor id it is surely not 1002 (ATI) so that is not correct. Use ATITool to check the device id on Windows.

I am unable to load 5e4b which I know you have. The system I worked on also has that.

This is the output when attempting to load the ATIRadeon9700.kext

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700's pentium4 arch is incomplete

kextload: error mapping module file /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700

kextload: can't map module files

kextload: can't check load addresses of modules

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext

load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext

(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

This is what happens with the -t switch

sudo kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext

kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext has problems:

Validation failures

{

"Executable file doesn't contain kernel extension code" = true

}

Anyone have a clue what this means?

I am unable to load 5e4b which I know you have. The system I worked on also has that.

This is the output when attempting to load the ATIRadeon9700.kext

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700's pentium4 arch is incomplete

kextload: error mapping module file /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700

kextload: can't map module files

kextload: can't check load addresses of modules

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext

load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext

(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

This is what happens with the -t switch

sudo kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext

kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext has problems:

Validation failures

{

"Executable file doesn't contain kernel extension code" = true

}

Anyone have a clue what this means?

What is your OS X Tiger version?

I'm doing a clean install and kextmod later today, as I suspect my system seriously f***ed up with switchresX app. I will report later if my x700 mobility (ID:5653) is finally working, as there is another user claiming it actually is.

Thanks for the help guys, my T43 ended up being a 0x5460, just like the previous poster who got it working... I'll just presume it's not possible to get hardware acceleration working in VMware and go for a full OS install :hysterical:

Awesome patch, this has been keeping me from installing OS X as my primary OS on my laptop.

(Off topic to any T43 users, any recommendations on a PCMCIA wifi card?)

koverg,

the gma900's depend on a file called AppleIntelFramebuffer.kext to allow resolution changes.

the ATI's seem to depend on ATINVDRV, is there any useful information to be made by somehow incorporating information from the PPC version into the intel version? i know that mac video cards have different bios's, but am curious.

for your compatibility list, the x800gt that i'm using succesfully has the device id of 554b.

the secondary id, is 556b. in nearly complete ignorance, would patching the secondary id's into this binary allow detection of the other head?

lilos, the mousepose fix is in the Genius Bar http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=5499