[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

OK. I am a complete newbie at this. I just got my hardware, and luckily for me, this thread is ready right at the same time I am. So, I hooked up my new HDD to my MBP running Snow Leopard, formatted and ran the script. After asking for my password the first thing I see is:

"IMPROPER OS! This script will only run on Leopard or Snow Leopard OS!"

Interestingly, the 4.0(RC) version doesn't give me this message, but I would rather try out the new installer. Any advice?

After asking for my password the first thing I see is:

"IMPROPER OS! This script will only run on Leopard or Snow Leopard OS!"

I've got the same problem on my 10.6 install.

I also had the same message using this on 10.5.0 but after upgrading to 10.5.7 the improper OS message went away.

Updated:

I have a hard drive with SL 10.6 installed and ethernet works, but only when i set this hard drive to boot as priority in bios.

I am installing a new drive with 10.6, this will be my main the other was a test. I have it installed but ethernet isn't working. I set this drive as priority and still no ethernet. Everything else seems solid.

what did i miss on this one?

I have swapped DSDT.aml and com.apple.boot.plist files and can't get it to work. seems to have something to do with booting and possibly boot loader. I am using the /Extra install and the RC3 boot loader.

ideas?

DD, thanks for the amazing work.

Another newbie question: I've already successfully installed (and been using) 10.5.7 using your previous script+guide but have been overwelmed by the 140+ pages of subsequent conversation which might answer this: can I use any of this new script to UPGRADE my current 10.5.7 install? Otherwise, do I need to start over with a fresh volume using this new script+guide?

2nd (also newbie) question: If I do have to start over using this script+guide, when you refer to to RETAIL here, are you referring to the new 10.6 Snow Leopard Retail DVD or do I need to utilize both my orig 10.5 Leopard Retail DVD as well as the new 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD, and if so, how?

Thanks in advance for your patience.

Thanks for all this great work, MAJ! I've been looking through your script to learn more in advance of my mobo arriving for my first build on Thursday, and I'm really impressed with the sheer amount of functionality you built in. (I'm a pretty experienced programmer, but I haven't done much shell scripting. The if/fi construct always weirds me out a little. :wacko: )

Anyway, I have a quick question. Since the DSDT patching must be run on the machine it's intended for, and Snow Leopard borks the CMOS if you boot without a patched DSDT, does that mean I need to install Leopard on my new rig before Snow Leopard so that I can create a patched DSDT? Or is there a way around that that I'm missing? It seems like a chicken-and-egg problem if you're trying to install only 10.6 and not bother with 10.5. I have a MacBook running SL that I can use for all other steps of the scripted install.

Or can we use koalala's DSDT patcher from Windows to generate an acceptable DSDT before attempting to boot SL for the first time?

Thanks!

-eggfoam

Had the same problem.

Could be wrong but I don't think the string would have to be formatted. As the output of

sw_vers -productVersion

should meet the CASE statement of "10.6".

So I Removed the line:

RUNNING_OS=${RUNNING_OS%.*}

from the script and it worked for me.

Ah! No trailing zero after "10.6".

Sorry about that.

I'll fix it right up.

MAJ

EDIT: Fixed and uploading...

Here's the updated script file for those that just want to replace the file in /~extra, instead of downloading the entire package.

Thanks for all this great work, MAJ! I've been looking through your script to learn more in advance of my mobo arriving for my first build on Thursday, and I'm really impressed with the sheer amount of functionality you built in. (I'm a pretty experienced programmer, but I haven't done much shell scripting. The if/fi construct always weirds me out a little. :) )

Anyway, I have a quick question. Since the DSDT patching must be run on the machine it's intended for, and Snow Leopard borks the CMOS if you boot without a patched DSDT, does that mean I need to install Leopard on my new rig before Snow Leopard so that I can create a patched DSDT? Or is there a way around that that I'm missing? It seems like a chicken-and-egg problem if you're trying to install only 10.6 and not bother with 10.5. I have a MacBook running SL that I can use for all other steps of the scripted install.

Or can we use koalala's DSDT patcher from Windows to generate an acceptable DSDT before attempting to boot SL for the first time?

Thanks!

-eggfoam

eggfoam,

Thanks for your comments.

I used to program in machine and assembly 20 years ago, and never have done anything since, until now (well, it's scripting, I know). So, I'm trying to make up for those 20 years. :P

I think the PC-EFI v10 bootloader will allow you to boot without the DSDT file (if it's possible). So, if you use that bootloader, you should be able to boot into it without a DSDT patch, but I can't confirm and haven't tested. Anyone know about this?

If true and it works, then you can patch and reboot.

The other bootloaders are known to stall without the file. Here's the bug log from PC-EFI v10.1, posted on July 29:

Just a small fix for booting system without DSDT.aml system was stalling on motherboards like gigabyte, where bootloader fails to find pointer to acpi 2.0 table, fixed.

I might test this out and get back to you, but it's 2:30 a.m. now and need to get to bed (off to work at 6).

regards,

MAJ

Hey DD. I was gonna send this RAID info as a PM but I couldn't figure out how to use attachments for PM

Curiously the RAID_list.txt says no RAID sets found. This might have something to do with Mac OS X recognising my hardware RAID as one disk from my JMicron Ports.

Anyway awesome work man. I might try and figure out how to do things with RAID before you get your script up for it but hopefully these files can help anyway. If I'm successful I'll certainly post my methods/experiences.

disk_list.txt

RAID_list.txt

eggfoam,

Thanks for your comments.

I used to program in machine and assembly 20 years ago, and never have done anything since, until now (well, it's scripting, I know). So, I'm trying to make up for those 20 years. :P

Wow, assembly programming ... I took a couple classes in college where I needed to do that, and that was plenty for me. :) I don't know if you've checked out the Cocoa/Obj-C environment at all, but it's one of the most pleasant language+framework combos I've ever used. It's a far cry from assembly or even straight C (though you can always use that if you need maximum speed) and it doesn't beat you over the head with its object-orientation like Java does...

I think the PC-EFI v10 bootloader will allow you to boot without the DSDT file (if it's possible). So, if you use that bootloader, you should be able to boot into it without a DSDT patch, but I can't confirm and haven't tested. Anyone know about this?

If true and it works, then you can patch and reboot.

The other bootloaders are known to stall without the file. Here's the bug log from PC-EFI v10.1, posted on July 29:

(snip)

I might test this out and get back to you, but it's 2:30 a.m. now and need to get to bed (off to work at 6).

Thanks for this info, MAJ. I'm planning to do a couple of different install methods later this week before I set up my system for real work. I'll see what approaches work best and post here. I suspect koalala's Windows-based DSDT patcher (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=142434) might help, since it doesn't need to run on the target box as long as you can extract the initial DSDT from the target box (which is also possible under Windows). But it's unclear to me exactly what types of modifications it can do, so I'll have to wait until I can sit down and fiddle with the various tools.

Yes, PC-EFI 10.1 booter can boot without DSDT but obviously you will get CMOS reset. I guess it is ok for 1st boot.

Thanks, proengin, good to have confirmation. The CMOS reset becomes relevant *next time* you boot after booting SL without the DSDT fix, right? So is there any problem with generating the DSDT during that first-boot session that resets the CMOS?

Much obliged for all the advice --

Best,

eggfoam

I just flashed the new BIOS (F9e) and it has a new option which seems to be great for OSX.

Instead of SATA/AHCI mode: Disabled / RAID / AHCI it replaced Disabled by IDE.

I selected IDE as SATA/AHCI mode and also IDE as SATA/IDE Ctrl mode and Leopard is working fine now (with intel chipset driver from iAtkos v7). I'm now trying to make snow leopard work in this mode as it boots a lot faster (you don't get the AHCI window after BIOS).

Just thought this might be useful to some :D I'll post further updates here.

I Have Raid 0 setup on the ICH10 Sata ports , is there any way of installing Snow leopard without changing the Raid option?

IE :

2 x HDD raid 0 mode

1x HDD in non raid mode

Can i use the single hdd thats not part of raid to install OSx SL?

:)

Sleep works, but probably my system there is something wrong ... this is not a rule that every time I wake up the KP, is once and another time the system wakes up properly. I attach a screen with KP, and a list kexts. Please Write down where to look ...?

Than you!

post-315211-1252498343_thumb.jpg

post-315211-1252568551_thumb.png 

Hello,

To begin, Thanks you very very much for your work and excuse my language because I'm Frech .

Okay, I followed all steps exept one.

I have a macbook who's running SL and I do all step from that.

Then I can't create a DSDT.aml file.

When I boot on SL after running all step, I get this message :

:/ root# panic(cpu 0 caller 0x2f7d1f60): "No HPETs available...CPU(s) configured incorrectly\n"@/SourceCache/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement-90/pmThread.c:148

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

0x2f70bf08 : 0x21acfa (0x5ce650 0x2f70bf3c 0x223156 0x0)

0x2f70bf58 : 0x2f7d1f60 (0x2f7dd3a8 0x8 0xc120e4db 0x4)

0x2f70bfc8 : 0x29c68c (0x0 0x0 0x222334 0x222334)

Kernel Extentions in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement( 90.0.0)@0x2f7cd000->0x2f7e4fff

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

Mas OS version :

10A432

Kernel version :

Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0:Fri Jul 31 22:47:34 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1456.1.25~1/RELEASE_I386

System model name: MacPro4,1

System uptime in nanoseconds: 20613344669

DD,

Script report Snow wrongly (I am using Snow on my recovery disk to install Snow to main disk) so I have to edit it in this way to run :

case "$RUNNING_OS" in

"10.5") OS_NAME="Leopard";;

*) OS_NAME="Snow Leopard";;

*) echo -e "${yellow}${bold}${rev} IMPROPER OS! This script will only run on \

Leopard or Snow Leopard OS! ${plain}\n"; echo -e "Running OS version: $RUNNING_OS ($OS_BUILD)" >> "$LOG"; exit;;

I found permission issue with installing any program to S/L/E (try Soundflower-1.4.3.dmg).

last the Bonjour Networking protocol not working and I can not see my printers and Ext Hard Disks.

DD Thank you and keep up the good working up.

I Have Raid 0 setup on the ICH10 Sata ports , is there any way of installing Snow leopard without changing the Raid option?

WTF

I tried to get my RAID 0 to work on the Blue ICH10 ports and couldn't on 10.5.7. I searched the net for ages for a solution but only found info saying there were no Apple ICH10 RAID drivers so it was impossible to use RAID with those ports.....

In answer to your question some people have managed to install SL onto RAID. You can find the info on their relatively recent posts in the old 10.5.8 thread by DD.

Please tell me how you got RAID 0 working with the Blue ICH10 Sata ports. Having to use JMicron has taken away my Sleep functionality (something I used to use alot on my old G5).