The Official SATA thread

Swad

94 posts in this topic

I have intel ich7 SATA controller on a Dell Dimension 5150 Dualcore and was wondering if there is a kext extension or patch I can apply to enable this as my main physical drive is on this device. Also, how can I write to the files in my mac partition if Darwin stalls at boot "waiting for root device"? I have knoppix, and have tried several others like macdrive which mounted it read only and some other one i can't remember didn't work either. I also have the windows bash shell port, but I can't write to anything in that area. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

works fine as far as i can tell. of course, OSx86 is on my IDE Hdd, but that has a IDE to SATA converter, so im pretty sure it works fine. also, it reads my other SATA drive with XP on it

I have intel ich7 SATA controller on a Dell Dimension 5150 Dualcore and was wondering if there is a kext extension or patch I can apply to enable this as my main physical drive is on this device.

I have SATA hdd on my ICH7-controller (AHCI) and it works, but not out of the box. If you get Still waiting for root device, you need to update AppleAHCI.kext with the correct pci id. I installed it thru VMWare (because my dvdrom is on a unsupported controller (sil3132).

<key>ICH5 Serial ATA Controller</key>

<key>ICH6 Serial ATA Controller</key>

<key>ICH6-M Serial ATA Controller</key>

Does this still apply to above SATA INTEL CHIPSETS?

Look below for specs on motherboard!

Thanks!

Can't get my SATA to boot but see's it fine when booting with ATA drive!

Would also like to get the right ATA device id in there somewhere too as it has to be faster than a macbook I tested out the other day! ;)

PS. The ATA is 100 speeds only!

Thanks

attached is my info in the IOfamilykext.

present_ata_and_SATA_info.rtf

The ATA IS a 100 speed Maxtor? Serial first generation WD 150!

I have a Western Digital SATA drive... My only hard drive. Previously i tried installing OS X, it detected the drive when I went into drive utilities, and I was able to format and start installing, however it gave an error during install, but I believe it was just a problem with the ISO. I am running an ASUS NForce 4 motherboard with an AMD Athlon 64 3200+. I think my SATA was detected properly, considering I was able to format a partition on the drive.

• 1 month later...

I have a Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe with a IDE drive in it for OSX and a SATA drive for XP.

But when I boot into OSX it does mount the two NTFS partitions I use for XP, I can read 'm watch movies of them, I'll try formatting one into mac filesystem lateron to see if I can read/write stable to it.

It works, but it's not stable... I can't install any application in it, or it crashes :thumbsdown_anim: Other files look fine though... actually, the whole system hangs, I don't know what to do... I have nForce4 w/ a WD SATA2 drive

I have a Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe with a IDE drive in it for OSX and a SATA drive for XP.

But when I boot into OSX it does mount the two NTFS partitions I use for XP, I can read 'm watch movies of them, I'll try formatting one into mac filesystem lateron to see if I can read/write stable to it.

Are you using the patched SATA VIA? Did your image come with the VIA SATA patch enabled? Are you using VMware?

If the answer to all three questions is "no", I'd like to know which extension loads your SATA drive. Is it AppleOnboardPCATA? AppleGenericPCATA?

--------------------------

In the nForce SATA thread, we're trying to trick the nForceATA (PATA) extension to handle SATA, which is what Linux 2.4 does. I haven't succeded, but I'll keep trying...

Can i get anymore info from peopole with the ICH7 controller...works? doesn't?

wondering if this board will work well

945G Neo2-F

Intel® 945G Chipset

• Supports FSB 533/800/1066MHz

• Support Dual channel DDR2 667/533/400 memory interface upto 4GB

• Support PCI Express 16X interface

Intel® ICH7 Chipset

• Integrated Hi-Speed USB 2.0 controller, 480Mb/sec, 8 ports

• 4 Serial ATAII ports w/ transfer rate up to 3Gb/s

• 1 channel Ultra ATA 100 bus Master IDE controller

• PCI Master v 2.3, I/O ACPI 2.0 Compliant

• Integrated AHCI controller

Serial ATAII controller integrated in ICH7

• Up to 300MB/s transfer speed

• Can connect up to 4 SATA2 drives

• Supports ACHI controller

• Supports SATA hot plug

Audio

• High Definition link controller integrated in Intel ICH7R chip

• 7.1 + 2 channels audio codec Realtek ALC882

- Compliant with Azalia 1.0 Spec.

LAN

• Intel® 82573 PCI-E Gb LAN

- Supports 10/100/1000 Mb/s

- Compliane with PCI 2.2

- Supports ACPI Power Management.

should i get it or look elsewhere?

So the sata kexts don't really work for the nForce4? They might work, but then they might corrupt the data...great.

BTW, the computer I'm trying to work on is the second in the list below. Gigabyte iDNA board with 6100 onboard and 410 chipset. Anybody having any luck with that? Well, IDK. I just wanted to check in...

joneSi

• 1 month later...

My hardware is setup in my sig. Trying to install OSX in VMWare and my harddrive isn't identified. I was planning on setting up in VMWare on a persistent, independent partition... and then booting it natively. I was really disappointed to hear that there are issues with nF4 and SATA drives.

• 3 weeks later...

I installed 10.4.7 a while ago on my dell 9150, which thanks to wonderful dell design, has 1 ide chain (dvd drive and dvd burner) and 4 sata connections, each with a hd (80 for osx only, 160, 250, and 300 for xp), and they all work fine thru osx, and thanks to MacDrive, i can even use the 80 thru xp. only problem now is i just bought new 250 and 500 drives, and am out of connections (as well as drive bays) to use :(

Hello. I have some problems to understand everything here.

I have installed OSx86 10.4.6 on ide. and it boots.

But I would like to acces my SATA.

I have Asus A8N-E (nForse4).

When I try to see what drives i habe I only see my IDE.

So my question is:

Where do I get the drivers for S-ATA? (is it the VIAATA)

How do I install them?

Does Installing through WMware make the S-ATA driver not load, when I boot normaly?

Is It possible to "mount" the S-ATA drive in read only? (so my partitions S-ATA doesn't crash)

my SATA supposed to work?

the mobo is ASUS A8V DELUXE

i think the SATA is VIA VT8237

and the appleviasata kext has the vt8237 to load in the info plist

i also choosed the via sata patch on the DVD installation

GOATSECX 10.4.6

is it only me ,or it doesnt work?

do i have to do something else to work?

cause everything in this mobo are correct with no either patch

sound stereo,usb,firewire,disks in correct speed,usbs

even the sleep button (i pressed aciddentaly ..its under the restart button :angel: )

the only hardware problem is the nvidia gfx card,but that is known ok

so?

do i miss something?

thankz

Hi all,

I have SATA Works real smooth. My mobo was DFI LanParty SLI-DR, using seagate 300GB SATA II. I'll post my profiler later on.. :huh:

I have that same set up, yes I keep getting errors when trying to create new files in OSX. I can install OSX fine, but when I try to add files from another hard drive, or create new ones it say "error -50" once and then every try after that, it says that the file name it too long.

Can you please post what your set-up is, what version of OSX you are running, and if you changed any kext files?

Thanks.

Where do I get the drivers for S-ATA? (is it the VIAATA)

How do I install them?

Check my sig, there are lots of info on this forum.
Does Installing through WMware make the S-ATA driver not load, when I boot normaly?
VMware emulates a special IDE/ATA controller.
Is It possible to "mount" the S-ATA drive in read only? (so my partitions S-ATA doesn't crash)
Your partitions won't crash, but OS X will.

My SATA works on nForce4 using myz 10.4.6 I don't know whats on there but it works fine with no crashes or boot problems as are present when editing the AppleVIAATA.kext file in some solutions.

More details needed. Disk drive model, BIOS version and have you done extensive testing? I.E. copying files around, mounting DMG images, installing onto SATA?