The Official SATA thread

Swad

94 posts in this topic

I've read various opinions on this, so I thought I'd ask those who know.

Does SATA work with OSx86? It it more difficult the get working? Do the benefits outweigh the difficulties you may have?

Thanks!

Can you try to give more information....

I'm on a MSI Neo2 K8N mobo and my SATA isn't working, my mobo uses the nforce3 chipsrt for SATA (as far as I can tell) and while the UDMA/NFORCE3 path listed in the hardware forums sped up my PATA considerably I still can't get SATA drives to be recognised.

What chipsets are you guys using?

Can you try to give more information....

I'm on a MSI Neo2 K8N mobo and my SATA isn't working, my mobo uses the nforce3 chipsrt for SATA (as far as I can tell) and while the UDMA/NFORCE3 path listed in the hardware forums sped up my PATA considerably I still can't get SATA drives to be recognised.

What chipsets are you guys using?

To install onto a sata drive you should use a different linux install cd. Ubuntu won't recognize the drive. I heard someone installed using a knoppix cd. I also have a Neo2 Platinum but. How did you get the UDMA patch to work? It fouled my system upon the first or second reboot. I had to install OS X again and i know im not the only one.

Working extensions for SATA are:

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

ICH5 Serial ATA Controller

ICH6 Serial ATA Controller

ICH6-M Serial ATA Controller

AppleVIAATA.kext

VIA SATA Controller

Hardware Name

8237 SATA

Working extensions for SATA are:

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

<key>ICH5 Serial ATA Controller</key>

<key>ICH6 Serial ATA Controller</key>

<key>ICH6-M Serial ATA Controller</key>

AppleVIAATA.kext

<key>VIA SATA Controller</key>

<key>Hardware Name</key>

<string>8237 SATA</string>

Macgirl what are those kexts for? Have you got nforce3 SATA's working?

Macgirl what are those kexts for? Have you got nforce3 SATA's working?

Names say it all.

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext for INTEL chipsets

AppleVIAATA.kext for VIA chipsets

No, I dont have nForce 3, I have nForce 4, and yes its working with recompiled and modified kext.

To install onto a sata drive you should use a different linux install cd. Ubuntu won't recognize the drive. I heard someone installed using a knoppix cd. I also have a Neo2 Platinum but. How did you get the UDMA patch to work? It fouled my system upon the first or second reboot. I had to install OS X again and i know im not the only one.

I have used the UDMA files for NForce3 without incident. Before I ran 'sudo chown -R root:wheel IOATAFamily.kext' there were permissions problems with the UDMA kext, and it would fail to boot, but using the -f flag gets you back into OS X.. It's very unlikely that it required a reinstall.

As for SATA, it's a big fat no go on my MSI K8N Neo Platinum

you have sata on the nforce4 working? which kext did you edit?

Yes I have 4 SATA Drives but in RAID configuration and does not work in Mac OS, neither in a single drive conf.

The nForce kext only works for PATA / IDE

And again the only chipset that work with SATA are:

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

ICH5 Serial ATA Controller

ICH6 Serial ATA Controller

ICH6-M Serial ATA Controller

AppleVIAATA.kext

VIA SATA Controller

Hardware Name

8237 SATA

Yes I have 4 SATA Drives but in RAID configuration and does not work in Mac OS, neither in a single drive conf.

The nForce kext only works for PATA / IDE

And again the only chipset that work with SATA are:

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

<key>ICH5 Serial ATA Controller</key>

<key>ICH6 Serial ATA Controller</key>

<key>ICH6-M Serial ATA Controller</key>

AppleVIAATA.kext

<key>VIA SATA Controller</key>

<key>Hardware Name</key>

<string>8237 SATA</string>

Does anybody have the Via 6420/6421 standalone SATA cards? I wonder if it could be jerry rigged into working in a similar fashion to the nforce3 / ac97 device/vendor id additions. The via download site provides the same driver for the 6420/6421 as for the 8237. The 6421 is apparently a dual SATA/IDE chipset.. Newegg sells a card based on it for $15 shipped or so. If it could be made to work it would be a great cheap way for people to get SATA working with unsupported hardware.

hi, i've got a nforce 4 mobo, and next week i'm gonna buy a new hard drive (i've got two 74gb raptors in raid0 with xp and an old 10gb ata-66 drive with osx on it), i was wonderingn if i bought a 250GB SATAII drive if it would let me install mac os x on it or if not on my other silicon image controller? my mobo is a8n-sli deluxe and it has 2 4 port sata controllers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

SATA for NForce3/4 was looked into a while ago and I did some work on it at the time too. Seems the threads for those have died into oblivion.

Now if you want to continue working on this SATA on Nforce3/4 is indeed possible, contrary to what the moderators have to say.

Im not going to go into details but you basicaly need to modify the AppleVIATA.kext with your NForce3/4 device ID's and it should recognize the SATA drive.

word of warning...after extensive testing it was concluded that this driver causes many read/write errors which ended up corrupting the drives...so proceed at your own risk.