Which OS has satisfied your apetite

M Y Awan

26 posts in this topic

since to date, i am never every satisfied with an operating system. sometimes i want XP SP3, sometimes i want vista, sometimmes ubuntu and mac osx... but honestly there is not a single OS which satisfy my apetite... i guess i am very either mean or unsatisfied when it comes to OS. at the moment Vista + MAC OSX but soon xp + ubuntu will be on the board too... which OS do you like most? and Why?

same here...

my desktop own a couple of debian kernels, windows xp64, vista and osX86.

my mbp has got osX (of course) and windows xp on it.

there's always a task that can be done with a certain os better than with an other. dunno, i use just all of them and wait another 15 year for ms,apple,openSource-community to produce the 'one'... ;)

Windows XP w/SP2. That's the perfect OS for me. I'll probably like Vista too, if I ever get the chance to try it. Everything works for me in XP, plus I can do anything that comes to mind, and I don't get any serious problems. Compatibility is also unmatched in XP, so there's one less problem to deal with. Aesthetically, XP doesn't fall short either. It can look like OS X, Vista, anything really. A theme makeover here, custom icons there, and voila, a new look. Furthermore, I'm really used to XP, so I don't see the point in taking the time to completely learn another system. I am fairly used to OS X, and from that, I know that I can easily switch if I ever needed to, but as of now, weighing what I'd gain against what I'd lose were I to switch to another OS, I see few reasons to switch and many, many, reasons not to.

OS X is my OS of choice, it's faster and more responsive than XP or Vista. There are programs that I use that work better for my needs than an OS X counterpart, but so far Parallels can run the programs in XP that I need to use.

For me it's XP with an Aston Shell desktop.

I moaned about XP when it came along, then recently I had to build a VMWare Windows 98 installation which made it abundantly clear how much better XP is. For all that's said by the complainers and detractors, once you have XP set up as you want and have a good understanding of how to customise to your liking, it's solid and reliable and can be as secure as you want. With a shell replacement like Aston you can make it look and work however you want too.

OSX is great for just getting on with things and I use it for work; I mess around with Linux (Suse generally) because I play on another forum where we're getting stuff to work, but I nearly always go back to my heavily customised XP for basic everyday stuff and the personal apps I run. I feel have control over what's going on with XP. And I 've never had a virus or malware - but then, I don't visit Pronz sites! :rolleyes:

Vista is just a waste of resources and apart from DX10 I can't see why on earth I would need to use it over XP or OSX.

Well XP is always reliable, but I do miss Vista since it had good performance, and I'm really missing that XM Gadget for the sidebar...:wacko:

But Leopard is great too, it's speedy and works, and has plenty of programs I'd like to use(looking forward to Final Cut Studio) and looks beautiful(I have CS3 in XP, but most Adobe products are just ugly). And of course I game in XP. So it's really a matter of do I want to use XP-specific or OSX-specific programs, then I just stay in that OS until I need to switch again. I guess I don't really prefer either.

If I had to chose one OS for the rest of my days, it's Windows XP. Many people use Linux and OS X, but still use Windows either at home or at work - to play games, to use programs that are only on Windows etc.

I can live without all other OS', but not Windows.

Someone once pointed out an interesting advantage to having one dominant platform (like Windows is today) - it means that most of the software, peripherals etc. will be available/supported on it (or there'll be suitable replacements). They said that if, for example, there were 3 major OSs on the market, to run 3 different apps you might need 2 of those OSs, if not all 3.

Of course, there might be flaws in that argument. Also, please note that I cited ONE advantage here - that doesn't mean that there aren't (significant) disadvantages, and those should be recognised as well.

After having a Windows XP, Windows Vista, Ubuntu Linux, gOS Linux, OS X Tiger, and OS X Leopard multi-boot machine for about a month, I realized that it all was not practical. It actually ended up being more of a headache to maintain and use than just one operating system.

I would constantly find myself booting all 6 operating systems in an hour period to update my calendars in Thunderbird, or sync my IM buddy lists, or sync my foxmarks in Firefox. In actuality I used Windows XP 75% of the time, and the rest 5% of the time. I was doing all my work and school stuff in Widows XP.

So I decided to go bear minimum (for me at least) of Windows XP (with vista theme, not perfect, but satisfying) and Mac OS X Tiger updated to 10.4.11. Just a simple dual boot.

I use Windows XP about 90% of the time for school and work, and then I use OS X about 10% of the time (mainly for podcasting and helping out my mom).

If I had to chose one OS for the rest of my days, it's Windows XP. Many people use Linux and OS X, but still use Windows either at home or at work - to play games, to use programs that are only on Windows etc.

I can live without all other OS', but not Windows.

Just the opposite here. I can live without all the other operating systems, but not Linux.

If I had to delete Windows forever, I'd miss only one game. And I have seen it running under Linux using Cedega.

What I posted in this same identical thread:

Leopard- Best OS I have ever used. Ever. My primary OS.

Vista- Best version of Windows to date, I use it daily for gaming and such. Primary OS until Leopard :P

XP- Microsoft did a superb job of merging Windows 9x and NT here. My primary OS for many, many years.

Windows 2000- When it came out, there was nothing better. ( in my opinion )

Other- OpenSUSE is my favorite Linux distro, although I hardly ever use it or any other Linux distro.

I didn't include Tiger, because although I ran it on my Hack and on my Mini, I was still just as happy with Vista. It was lacking in several areas and Leopard has greatly improved upon it.

i have no favourite operating system

i reinstall like once a week, because i keep changing my mind, first i like XP SP2, then i want vista with SP1, so i reinstall to that, then i do not like it and go to xp, or i use hackintosh, or both, its always changing, never happy with the operating system i have

i have cds for each of these

Windows XP 32bit

Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit

Kalyway Leopard 10.5.2 Hackintosh

i lost count of the number of times i have reinstalled this year :) all because i am never satisfied with the operating system i use

i reinstall like once a week, because i keep changing my mind, first i like XP SP2, then i want vista with SP1, so i reinstall to that, then i do not like it and go to xp, or i use hackintosh, or both, its always changing, never happy with the operating system i have

I was like you many years ago. I had hundreds of Linux (and other operating systems) CDs and DVDs and I installed something new several times a week.

However the reason was that I wanted to try as many as possible, rather than not being happy with any OS.

Xp (SP 2).

The reason is quite simple ; was able to solve every single problem that had met.

Unlike in Vista: I was running some utilities and now they're incompatable.

Besides, i got too much time/resource to downgrade from vista to xp.

However, currently have them both installed.

• 3 weeks later...

Windows for Solitaire and OSX for the rest.

jk

I use 10.5.2 as my main OS on my desktop because I have a MBP 2.2Ghz also so I can sync iCal and such. I also use Vista x64 on my desktop for games and a VMWare of Windows XP for testing stuff.

Linux = Home VoIP Server

Windows Home Server = Media Sharing

Windows Server 2003 = File Sharing and Web Hosting

Windows Vista = Connected to my TV

Windows XP = Brother's computer

Mac OS X Leopard = My MacBook <_<

Mac OS X Tiger laptop (also mine, but not used)

Mac OS X Leopard laptop (hackintosh)