[HOW TO] GFX-EFI Tutorial for NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB (G92)

agrafuese

264 posts in this topic

Hehe, well I wanted to have two separate computers, instead of a dual-boot system. The Intel is more compatible with OSX obviously, so the AMD was left for Windows gaming. I use OSX as my main computer for everything. Gaming is not as important to me. The 6200 in my Intel actually works great. In fact, it gets better benches than my 8800GT (tried on Intel), believe it or not. But that's UI only. The 8800 gets better OpenGL scores, obviously...but, I don't use OpenGL very much in OSX, so 6200 is fine for me. I am a disgrace, right? :shock: This is only until I get another 8800GT or better card for OSX.

NEVER MIND - I'm back with the 8800GT in my Intel :P

is anyone having slight problems with color banding here? i need to figure out if it's my monitor or the card.create a gradient, from black to white, in photoshop. it's rather noticeable. looks like 24-bit color and not 32-bit.

is anyone having slight problems with color banding here? i need to figure out if it's my monitor or the card.create a gradient, from black to white, in photoshop. it's rather noticeable. looks like 24-bit color and not 32-bit.
ahh nevermind. just tested it in XP. same results. stupid TN monitors... :(

hey guys,

ive got kalyway 10.5.1, and i have a geforce 8800gtx 768 vram.

it works in multiple resolutions, but the graphics seem a bit shaky, also under system proflier it says my card has 256 vram, which it certainly does not.

wondering if this guide will work for this card.

thx !

Well finally I've my 8800gt working... thanks again to agrafuese :)

Here you have some bench made with my new card... A bit worse than my ati X1950XT.. I guess is because the drivers and I guess that the same happen with any REAL mac

imagen44qm3.th.png

anyone can test it and post the results?

thanks a lot!

I was actually just thinking about posting my scores before you mentioned it because I went back to using my 8800GT on my Intel machine. So no more AMD for me :D This card is obviously a lot better than the old 6200 I was using, but I think xBench is inaccurate when it comes to scoring these cards. It was telling me that the 6200 had better OpenGL than the 8800GT...and that's just...wrong. Hahaha. So anyway, here are my scores. Mind you, CPU has a lot to do with it, and I'm running my E6750 at stock speeds. Oh, and just for fun, I also included my OpenMark scores. I love that app! :) If anyone else wants to give it a try and post back their scores, check it out: http://www.mediafire.com/?m4gy91tsge0 Just keep in mind that the window that comes up is not the real test. In order to do the real test, you have to hit "Apple-R". Also, I included two OpenGLev screenshots because I think it's more accurate to run a full bench test with the options selected, as shown. I think my OpenGLev scores are higher because my resolution is lower (I can't go higher than that).

post-66307-1209501618_thumb.png

post-66307-1209501628_thumb.pngpost-66307-1209501635_thumb.png

post-66307-1209501643_thumb.png

Hi, thanks alot for the guide, you did a wonderfull job on it.

My situation:

I have a Asus P5N32-E SLI motherboard (Nforce 680i chipset) installed with iAtkos 1.0ir3 (updated to 10.5.2). I also have 2 PNY 8800GT (512MB) cards in SLI.

I know that Leopard does not support SLI, if 1 card would work I would be very happy :)

What I did/tried:

Found the correct path of the main 8800GT card (another user in this thread had the same problem with SLI): gfxutil told me the path was "PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x16,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)", but when I install only 1 card the path was "PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)".

What happens?:

When I follow the GFX-EFI guide and reboot for the final time with -f, the screen just turns black and nothing happens from there...

I noticed somebody in this thread saying he had this problem as well and solved it by using grub as a bootloader. I installed Leopard on a single harddisk (no dualboot), so using the original bootloader (mbr) of Leopard. I think that I am using EFI 8.0, but I am not sure.

What could be the problem?

Ps. Removing one gfx card does not fix the problem, like it did for someone else in this topic.

Going to try that now, thanks for the link!

Ps. Does anybody know a way to test gfx drivers without having to reinstall iAtkos everytime? Everytime I crashed the hackintosh I have to reinstall iAtkos, fill in the details (address etc), update to 10.5.2, etc. Is there an easy way to do this?

Sure! you can enter in single mode pressing F8 at mac os boot and then writing -s in the console prompt. Then you have to put:

/sbin/mount -uw /

Obviously you wont have any graphic interface, but to move,copy,delete files the terminal it's ok :(

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I am trying alot of different drivers, for example natit, nvinject, etc. Sometimes I use an installer, I have no idea what files to change / move / remove if things go wrong. Should I backup the complete Extensions directory in and restore if something goes wrong?

Hi! oks you should open your installer with Pacifis and see what kext are inside, then backup the original and copy the kext of the installer. With pacifist you can see the kexts, extract, install, etc. You should extract all kext before try it :)

Tried the methods you linked me to, both failed. I removed 1 8800GT card now and I am going to do a fresh install (again). With only 1 gfx card installed and following this EFI-string guide, it should work right? :)

Since the 8800GT has been released officially for mac, I think it is time for someone to create a tutorial for drivers for 8800GTS 512 (G92)

Please someone make it.

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

Has someone tried dual dvi monitors? I would like to be sure its supported before i buy a second monitor.

... and has someone tried using an Apple Cinema Display? Will an Apple Cinema Display work with Windows XP?

Thanks.

Since the 8800GT has been released officially for mac, I think it is time for someone to create a tutorial for drivers for 8800GTS 512 (G92)

Please someone make it.

you're posting on it ;)

... and has someone tried using an Apple Cinema Display? Will an Apple Cinema Display work with Windows XP?

yep, works great on my windows xp/vista/ubuntu :o

you're posting on it :D

Correction: He said "8800GTS 512MB (G92)". Not the same card. That card would have a different Device ID than the GT (which this tutorial is exclusively for). Basically, he was posting in the wrong thread :thumbsup_anim: Just want to throw that out there so other GTS G92 people don't come here and get confused.

thank you very much for posting this.

I did a clean install with kaly 10.5.2 dvd, and only got 1024x768 resolution with no core or quartz options, and unknown video card.

Followed these instructions to a T and now everything 100% working with PNY 8800GT 512mb. Awesome step by step instructions!

EFI string working for eVGA 8800GS 384MB

just need 060610de device id in the kexts, and some editing of the "in.plist" file

see attached system profiler pic

post-85664-1210642036_thumb.jpg