[HOW TO] GFX-EFI Tutorial for NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB (G92)

agrafuese

264 posts in this topic

Great set of instructions! My card gets fully recognized in System Profiler, but I still have a problem: my maximum resolution is only 1240x1080 while in windows I can use this screen for up to 1600x1200 and more. It's a VGA display connected with a DVI to VGA adapter. Could this be the reason?

Also something weird happened in Final Cut Studio: during the install I got an error saying that Final Cut Studio needs at least 1024x768 resolution to work, while I'm working at 0x0!!! QE/CI seems to work flawlessly though...

Any help from anybody is greatly appreciated!

It wooooooooooooooooks!!!!!!!!! I have no idea how i managed to get it to work. After deleting and recopying all the Ge* and NV* ten time, clearing the cache numerous times, repairing the permissions, it finally works!

agrafuese you are the best! Thanks again. :D:)

EDIT: one last problem. when i shutdown i get a kernel panic; reboot works; sleep, i dont care. Maybe i should restart from scratch, now that ive understood my error.

EDIT2: The GeForce.kext was conflicting with the custom (from the new Kalyway DVD (10.5.2) IO80211Family.kext. After replacing the custom kext with the original, it worked and QE/CI was recognized. Isn't the IO80211.kext something doing with wireless. How can this be possible??

Same here!! i got an Asus EN8800GT 512MB and i got the same problem about the blue screen, so only bootable with boot flags -f, -x or -s (then exit and the system loads). I just replaced the kalyway 10.5.2l IO80211.kext with the apple's original and i booted great!!

SOOOOO, again thank u agrafuese and AndreaGalileo!!!

EDIT:

After perfectioning the system, i also installed the wifi drivers of my motherboard (ASUS P5K Premium) and again i started the have the same problem, i had to boot -s, delete the caches and then again i was able to boot normally with -f

Ill do more tests as soon as i have free time and ill keep u updated of what i discover.

BFG 8800 GT ;) you don't need to change ID's in every "nvdahall's"...Only in NVDANV50Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext ... If you change ID's in every NVDANV..Hal your card won't work like it should... :P

post-130817-1211659537_thumb.png

post-130817-1211659650_thumb.png

Same here!! i got an Asus EN8800GT 512MB and i got the same problem about the blue screen, so only bootable with boot flags -f, -x or -s (then exit and the system loads). I just replaced the kalyway 10.5.2l IO80211.kext with the apple's original and i booted great!!

SOOOOO, again thank u agrafuese and AndreaGalileo!!!

I'm happy it works great for you too. :(

Can someone explain why a IO80211.kext can conflict with an Asus EN8800GT. Here, everything works great, but iam just curious to know why. :)

Just a quick note which I may or may not add to the tutorial: if you are running a current build of one of the popular osx86 releases (iAtkos, Kalyway, Zephyroth, etc) you probably don't need to install the kexts I've included in my package. New osx86 releases by these developers should come with the 8800GT device ID already included in the kexts, therefore mine are not needed. If I'm not correct about this, someone please let me know.

x.di: Yes, you are correct. The device ID only needs to be in 50Hal, but I should note that there are no performance problems when the device ID exists in the other Hal's as well. The reason is that 50Hal has all of the required device information for 8800GT card compatibility. If device information is passed from the other Hal's your card will ignore them. I can prove this with any number of benchmarks if you'd like. If the other Hal's were giving you problems, then you're a special case, and I'd kindly ask you to provide some evidence of your claims as well as your complete system specs, card make/model number, OS release build, social security number, home address, mother's maiden name, etc. :) Kidding.

But if anyone is paranoid, just don't replace the other Hal's...keep the originals. End of discussion :)

Thanks dude - it worked brilliantly. One question - I was expecting this to sort out the (I assume) 1024x768 resolution during boot graphics but it hasn't - any ideas? Or is that something else I need to tweak?

Cheers and good work!

Thanks dude - it worked brilliantly. One question - I was expecting this to sort out the (I assume) 1024x768 resolution during boot graphics but it hasn't - any ideas? Or is that something else I need to tweak?

Cheers and good work!

Hmm, it's been a while since I've seen the apple boot-up screen, because I use verbose mode. Is it normal to have higher resolutions for that screen? What does it look like on your other machines? (Impressive collection, by the way ;) )

Dvice: 8800GT 512MB PNY

I tried this method with both strings and i got a black screen (using Kalyway 10.5.2 installation).

The solution that i found was using the punk92's installer.

Good work ddr. I haven't updated to 10.5.3 yet (because DS3L users are reporting problems with AHCI), but when I do, I'll give your kexts a try and update the tutorial with them. Credits to you, of course :wacko: Thanks.

EDIT: See my other post (#177).

You can update safely, AHCI works fine.

Good work ddr. I haven't updated to 10.5.3 yet (because DS3L users are reporting problems with AHCI), but when I do, I'll give your kexts a try and update the tutorial with them. Credits to you, of course :D Thanks.

Good work ddr. I haven't updated to 10.5.3 yet (because DS3L users are reporting problems with AHCI), but when I do, I'll give your kexts a try and update the tutorial with them. Credits to you, of course :( Thanks.

thanks to you!!! np!! :)

You can update safely, AHCI works fine.

Well... I can boot without problems, but ..for example when I try to burn a ISO with my DVD-RW SATA the Disk utility says it's in use O.o, strange thing...

Yes.. ehehe, just install the 10.5.3 and then, before reboot paste this files in /System/Library/Extensions. This files are the version 10.5.3 with the 8800gt ID added

http://www.midtonedesign.com/files/8800gt.zip

I updated without using any new kexts except the ones in the update and my 8800GT ist just working fine. So is there really a need to use these kexts?

I updated without using any new kexts except the ones in the update and my 8800GT ist just working fine. So is there really a need to use these kexts?

The new kexts improve a bit the performance :hysterical:.

With old kexts:

imagen46pq8.th.png

With new:

imagen60tp4.th.png

Interesting...slight decrease in OGL 2.1 though :)

Mmm... I think maybe it's for all the things I have open right now (and I can't close it to test it :P). However the last test still do the "strange" lines instead of show fractals ;)

The new kexts improve a bit the performance ;) .

So the kexts in the 10.5.3 update raise the performance of the 8800GT?

You know... installing 10.5.3 (including the new drivers) and then adding the same drivers from 10.5.3 again doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

Anyway... i don't do any graphics stuff in MacOSX, so i don't really care. Only graphics intense application i am running at the moment is age of conan on my Vista harddisk. :)

So the kexts in the 10.5.3 update raise the performance of the 8800GT?

You know... installing 10.5.3 (including the new drivers) and then adding the same drivers from 10.5.3 again doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

Anyway... i don't do any graphics stuff in MacOSX, so i don't really care. Only graphics intense application i am running at the moment is age of conan on my Vista harddisk. ;)

but isn't the old drivers, they are the new! :|. Just install 10.5.3, and then copy this files to the extensions folder. Repair permissions and reboot

Hi HackOS Geeks!

Just real quick: Im using asus p5w dh deluxe, e6400 cpu and 8800gt graphics.

I installed leopard using the kalyway install and did the upgrade to 10.5.2 with the kalyway update. This time I was too impatient and I installed it using the netkas guide (great stuff).

to get my machine to boot again i had to use the old smbios, appleAHCIport.kext, ioahcifamily and ioatafamily.kext. After that i installed the sound just like the first time with alcinject...worked with no probl.

but nvinject didn't work. no quarz extreme...resolution worked. so next i tried natit. that worked a little better..but didn't show 512mb ram in system informations.

so i gave this guide a try. thx agrafuese!! but i only followed it to step 4. i did not change any of the geforce or nv kexts nor bundles. anyway...a reboot gave me everything... that was easy!!?

is it really possible to just add this looong string to the boot plist and everything works? or did i miss sth.?

just wanted to share...

thx again to netkas and agrafuese!

cheers fleisch

ps: sound will be next :)

post-140191-1212165884_thumb.jpg

so i gave this guide a try. thx agrafuese!! but i only followed it to step 4. i did not change any of the geforce or nv kexts nor bundles. anyway...a reboot gave me everything... that was easy!!?

is it really possible to just add this looong string to the boot plist and everything works? or did i miss sth.?

Yep :P You did everything correctly. Have fun!