10.4.4 Security Broken

Swad

161 posts in this topic

Two things mlstein.

There are more legal uses for DeCSS than those you listed, for example playing your DVD on your linux only pc.

And also, the only thing that makes OSX86 "illegal" is that its stated in the EULA that you cant install it on a non-apple computer. But those kind of EULA`s arent neccesarrily legal since they impose restrictions after you have bought a product you cant return.

There may also be a problem with the DMCA but that i dont know (non-us citicen)

How does this patch work on the $199.00 Special?

I built a system using the ASROCK Motherboard and a Celeron D 2.94 Processor. Still running 10.4.1 with the 10.4.2 Update patch.

Can anyone point me to a walkthrough on how to get a 10.4.4 working for this system?

I'm still waiting for an Intel Mac Mini, before buying a new unit... Though the new Intel Dual Core iMac is VERY compelling...

looks like prelmininary release .3 is now out, he's making some real progress! I'm making a trip down to target for some dual layer dvds, now that I have aquired the dmg I finally get to play with it yeeha! This has been a very exciting couple of days I just hope the good news keeps coming!

I can not copy mach_kernel to root I get the message mach_kernel cannot be replaced because it is invisable

has anyone tried converting the dmg to iso and tried using an isoeditor on it?

Naive, huh? You're the naive one.

Tell that to the DirecTV scene.

one word FTA

Nagra 2 was unhackable oh wait...

Ehm.. This step 7 there; Replace Bootloader files - Someone cann tell me what to do?! Have'nt found anything

Cant exactly remember which folder they are

search for boot.efi on your new volume (10.4.4) when found go to the same folder on your existing volume (10.3.3) then delete boot.efi and copy all files from the 10.4.3 folder to 10.4.4 folder

/System/Library/CoreServices/ there is my boot.efi file :-S

So I delet it, and replace the files (exept Folders, because I have changed them with the files from patch) and then it's done??!! Thanks

Uh, there is another boot.efi file :-)

Done everything now get the error message (no entry sign) or under the switch -v

/etc/rc: line 260 29 illegal instruction launchctl load /library/launchDaemons /system/library/launchDaemons /etc/mach_init.d

also had to copy appleviaata.kext over to new installation

So I will have to wait for the the AMD version/hack fingers crossed

While we are on the subject of legal concerns, my non-expert opinion is as our society has come to a state where computers are now a necessity, it becomes more difficult for the uala to be legaly inforceable. In my opinion after an operating system or software is inside your computer you can do anything you want to it to make user friendly or working for you, delete stuff, add stuff, hack code whatever it takes. I don't know a lot about OS's but I think some are a bloated mess and need trimmed down to size.

Microsoft started the OS bloat, honestly - Internet Explorer was built in to Windows 98 in a way the OS became somewhat gimpy if you removed it. There were programs to perform just that very function. Nowadays you can basically forget about removing the tendrils of IE6 from an XP system, especially post SP1.

Apple at least has an OS that comes with software you MAY elect to not install - some utilities are included, but even Linux includes quite a bit of documentation and utilities to get it working right.

I agree that a PC is a personal and vital need for most people, rich or poor. But the entitlement to proprietary software may always remain a privilege of the (relatively) rich - any group who claims they NEED to own XP or OS X will be told you can make do well enough with Ubuntu or what have you from the Open Source (or Public Domain) sectors.

AMD is up and running, too :)

It is very stable and fast.

I would nearly agree but it lacks support for rtl8139 ethernet cards (or maybe pci bus)

Also it does not allow resolution changes under display (ATI Radeon 9600PRO) using 9700.kext

Edit: RTL8139 Now working

Also no Audio Appleac97Audio.kext is not compatable with ad198X.kext will keep thinking Darn I might I noise control around after that java script:emoticon(':angry:',%20'smid_14')

so far running on AMD

-no sound can't load ac97audio.kext

-safari won't open https sites

-cant mount .dmg files after downloading (device not configured )

-tearing still aparent on ati 9600pro (ati9700.kext)

Still early stages yet I keep adding to this list as I find out more