10.4.4 Security Broken

Swad

161 posts in this topic

Happy Valentines Day... from Maxxuss.

The hacking guru has announced preliminary patches for Apple's latest release of OS X for Intel, version 10.4.4. According to his website,

This is a preliminary release of my Patch Solution for the official Mac OS X on the Intel platform. Ultimately, it would allow you to run this Mac OS X release on a generic x86 computer (SSE2 required).

There's still a lot of work and documentation to do, like support for SSE2-only CPUs, a proper installation procedure and a PPF patch. However, if you like to play around, this will get you started.

The significance of this event can’t be overstated. While many users were able to run OSx86 on their PCs last summer, the general feeling was that Apple hadn’t implemented their final security solution. That much was true.

Onlookers have told us that the 10.4.4 is a serious step forward in security, utilizing many of the same technologies as the 10.4.1 and 10.4.3, as well as the obfuscated code that Apple filed a patent for a few months ago.Few expected this final version – or at least the version that shipped with the first Macintels – to be easy to hack.

What this means is that Apple’s best attempts to secure their OS have, ultimately, failed. For its best efforts, the company is unable to lock OS X to their hardware. Without doubt, this will have profound impacts on the company’s future as running OSx86 on a PC becomes less a hacker’s trick and more mainstream. When all it requires is the downloading of a DVD, that’s certainly the future we’re looking at.

This also opens a host of new questions for Apple, OS X, and the PC users who love it. Will this mark the beginning of Apple’s legal endeavors to keep OS X locked down? Will it persuade Steve Jobs that releasing his OS is an insanely great idea?

Time will tell. Things keep getting more exciting. Stay Tuned.

[Digg this Article]

Edit: The technical discussion thread is here!

fantastic! i wait soon patches to run on sse2!! maxxuss you are great!

If you look at the patches closely there is a script called replace.sh, in there it actually says:

echo "Your CPU has no SSE2. This is the minimal requirement for this patch."
	returnAndExit

Looks like you may not have to wait!

Still need PAE and NX though!

I'm off to try and find a DL disc for less than silly money.....

Nick

I think we should hold off from thinking this is the best apple can do just yet. At the moment we are only cracking/hacking a system restore cd, not a retail product, which, they just may want to protect alot more ($$$)

Thats not to say that someone like maxxuss won't be able to beat that when it comes :hysterical:

cheers all, big smootches, happy valentines-day!!

...Apple’s best attempts to secure their OS have, ultimately, failed. For its best efforts, the company is unable to lock OS X to their hardware.

best attempts? ultimate effort? can we ever be sure?

(one hundred and forty third germane post)

Ladies and gentlemen, please sit back and enjoy your ride on Maxxuss Airlines. We expect a bit of turbulence but our captain assures us it will be a safe and wonderfull trip to 10.4.4 City.

Just got back from my date. yes even geeks have girlfriends too :hysterical:. It's nice to read this after not being on the computer overnight.

Ladies and gentlemen, please sit back and enjoy your ride on Maxxuss Airlines. We expect a bit of turbulence but our captain assures us it will be a safe and wonderfull trip to 10.4.4 City.

LOL, indeed, thanks Maxxuss, looking forward to the ride :hysterical:

Now if only the folks from MacVidia can get a kext out, and someone can figure out a way to get SATA working on nForce, I'll be one happy {censored}!

It sucks having to rely on my damned USB portable drive which is only 160gb, versus my internal sata drives, 2x120gb, 2x200gb respectively :guitar:

I don't like not having over half a terabyte sitting there unusable. And to switch to intel... That's just... *ugh* dirty. :hysterical:

Nice!

I can't wait to have OSX 10.4.4 on my PC :D

also the little comment about Apple’s best attempts to secureing their OS on their Hardware, Are we sure they just didn't want this to happen, I mean they even added that little "Please don't Steal" message. They knew it was going to happen. I have a gut feeling that Apple wants OSX on non-Apple hardware they just don't want to have to deal with Microsoft.