XBMC on OS X! Leopard and Intel Only.

Torell

62 posts in this topic

ive been banging on about this in my sig for weeks now.... *sigh*.

it does rock tho :police: plays all my media streamed flawlessly over 802.11G from my linux router running SAMBA, sharing out its two USB drives, to my MBP in bed.

pah... who needs 802.11n? :wacko:

awesome!

Release 0.1.5

-Latest XBMC and ffmpeg code

-FLAC playback support

-AC3 downmixing <------------- feature I was looking forward to the most!

-Basic support for wireless XBOX360 controller <------- seriously amazing! even better than apple remote

-RAW image support <----- I guess that's cool if you use the slideshow and picture functions of XBMC, still good

maybe we'll see a simultaneous release of version 1.0.0 when the refreshed mac minis come out..... here's hoping

This is off topic so I apologies in advance.

I've been considering trying to get XBMC working on my old XBOX but the Googling I've done has given different guides which seem odd. I was wondering if anyone here who's successfully got XBMC running wouldn't mind pointing me to the guide they used with any tips they might have.

--- --- ---

Now I need to ask the question, what's the point of XBMC on a Mac?

you'd run it on a mac if you wanted to make your mac/hack a htpc. it's one big easy button for doing all the media management and playback. plus it's an alternative to frontrow and options are always good to have.

OT: that's the one knock that macs still haven't shaken IMHO. the windows world will usually have 10 different ways to skin a cat, while here in mac land you'd usually have one or two.

-edit-

if you have a chipped xbox, i always liked slayers auto installer disc. if you don't have it chipped, you'll need to softmod it then install xbmc. if you go the slayer route, you'll need to get an updated build as the one on the slayer disc will probably be outdated.

Now I need to ask the question, what's the point of XBMC on a Mac?

I think there isn't any competitor similar or better than it out there.It support everything , and u can modd it at your pleasure.

In this release, but maybe even in the previous, I notice a big jump on cpu resources if u minimize tha app or u change focus on other apps.

Just me??

Okay, so after reading all of the praise in this topic, I gave it a go.

Before I begin badmouthing this [i don't want to!] , how do I get it to see my iTunes Library (not the individual files) and photos from iPhoto?

Apparently it can be done. Just found this on the xbmc forums. I don't fully understand itunes libraries etc and find them annoying (buy I'm a mac n00b) :) Hope it works!

Personally I can't wait to see the plugins modules working, this project is one of the reasons I put together a hack :) Would love to see support for the MCE remote added.

Once the python myth backend support is added it'll be nirvana. It's the best media player ever written but it sadly lacks tv tuner and recording support. Integrated with a linux backend fileserver/tv recorder it is the perfect solution.

I can't believe the rate that Elan develops and releases this version, when I go into production with it on a mac mini he'll be getting a nice fat donation :)

Cheers,

Arkay.

So yours guys have coverart on itunes musics played over xbmc?

Seriously it start to makes me upset, my mp3 has artwork and under xbmc it doesn't showI'd remember about some itens on xbmc what we have to manually add the boxart/coverart/image as .png to make it work. But its just a mp3 with coverart.

They need to make the Phyton support soon as they can.

I found some nice plugins for xbmc:

http://theendofthelongestline.de/xbox/download/index.php http://www.xbmcscripts.com/

the skin is the original skin released on xbox called project mayhem 3 i believethe beauty of this port is that it can accept xbmc skinsi'm running this one at the moment, it's beautifulhttp://aeonismine.com/

using now

its really awesome skin

it's incredible that elan is pumping out these updates as fast as he is

Release 0.1.6 is out as of March 8th

looks like just a small update, fixes here and there, and added RAW support for pics

still not worthy of front page news i guess...

you know i haven't actually looked into running AMD, because i have a core2duo

why not give it a try and tell us what happens. the only thing i know is that the project was initially designed to be run on legal mac hardware

so elan's disclaimer on intel only could mean that it's specific to leopard 10.5.1 and up AND "intel macs" only which means no G4s or G5s

since our hacks are essentially macs, perhaps AMD does work... but i can't test this

you just can't run the vanilla kernel... but you probably already knew that

be careful about where you ask for support on this

read the disclaimer in my first post, we shouldn't be discussing hacks at the official forum on his site, here i'm sure we can...maybe..... :)

Intel only :) any way to make it work on AMD?

Have you tried? I have and it generally works just fine :D . Only stability seems to be an issue :) , but I cannot compare because I do not have an Intel PC to compare with.