kalyway_hack_10.5.2ComboUpdate on "The Bay"

theotheo

326 posts in this topic

I Got it to work 10.5.2 on my Hackintosh #2 specs are in my signature on a Celeron 420 and Vanilla Kernel Woot!!!! Don't Know if the graphics will break my video its a GMA 950

-amantheboy

www.teknojunkie.com

Question: If I do this update and something goes wrong is my data lost forever?

One word (keyword) -- Backup

Backup before you do anything so that your prepard just incase something goes wrong.

I am considering the update, but would like to kick off a Time Machine backup first.

I have Time Machine set up, but I had one question:

I have two hard drives installed in my Dell 410 - my main drive has Leopard installed with all of my apps, documents, music, photos, etc. The second hard drive I use to store video. Will Time Machine try to back up BOTH DRIVES or just the main "Leopard" drive? I didn't see a way to specify this anywhere.

Thanks,

Brandon

I am backing up, but I was just wondering if there are solutions for things I'm seeing that go wrong. Kernel panics etc.

Press f8 at the start when darwin loads and the boot using -v to enter verbose mode to see if there are any errors like kerenel panics. If there is, the error should tell you what's going on or post it here on the board and hopefully someone can help

BTW: Here is the kernel panic I get after installing the 10.5.2 Kernel. If anyone knows any solution, I greatly appreciate it.

dscf2180cr4.jpg

One word (keyword) -- Backup

Backup before you do anything so that your prepard just incase something goes wrong.

This may sound crazy but I don't trust Time Machine. Is there a way to clone the 10.5.1 install (it has its own hard drive to another hard drive)? I've tried with Carbon Copy Cloner but it doesn't seem to yield a bootable volume. There is this odd MBR + EFI thing. Can Ghost or whatever do it from Windows XP?

ls

This may sound crazy but I don't trust Time Machine. Is there a way to clone the 10.5.1 install (it has its own hard drive to another hard drive)? I've tried with Carbon Copy Cloner but it doesn't seem to yield a bootable volume. There is this odd MBR + EFI thing. Can Ghost or whatever do it from Windows XP?

ls

Your best bet would be to just backup your important data. I work as an IT admin and personally I don't trust cloning (ghosting) the HDD. Mainly because sometimes when you need the backup clone, it fails to boot up. At least in the event of a system failure and you have your files backed up on a seperate HDD (Not using Time Machine; normal backups 'file copys') you can just reinstall everything and be back to were you left off before the system failure. It might not be what you wanted to hear but in my opinion, I'd rather you be safe than sorry.

edit: Or if you have the time, you can do what I do. If you have a spare HDD, install leopard on that. This time you only use the second install for any system changes/updates. So if anything goes wrong, your main system is out of harms way and you can troubleshoot easier that way. It's what I call a dummy setup. Everything you do to the dummy install that is successful , you can assume and be a little more confident that it will work on your main install. Again, just make sure to keep at least a monthly backup of all your important data before changing anything on the main system.

Updated from Kalyway 10.5.1 to 10.5.2

Download two files

- 10.5.2 combo update

- 10.5.2 kernel vanilla and patched

Back up using Time Machine (just in case)

Install 10.5.2 combo update

Restart (took two restarts and the screen is black for about 2 minutes after the second)

Repair permissions in Disk Utility

Install 10.5.2 kernel (choose the option appropriate to your system)

Restart

Repair Permissions

Software Update...

Install graphics and iLife update

You now have 10.5.2

Just installed Kalyway 10.5.2 combo + vanilla kernel + apple gfx update and am zero problems!

Everything is working well!

One question I have is that I'm using an 8800GTX 768Meg, with NVinject 1.5 and it still says I have 256Megs and my Xbench scores are the same so from what I can tell I'm not really using the new drivers.

Should I completely remove NVinject and let it work it out, or remove it and install the new NVinject?

Not real sure..

Thanks everyone, hope you're having as good of luck with this as I am!!

Now, time to really make 'the switch'! :)

-KC

Did Kalyway 10.5.2, repaired permissions, rebooted. Then did his vanilla kernal installer. Rebooted. Repaired permissions. No problems so far! Audio is working and even my hacked NVinject 6800 GS is working! Haven't tried video update yet. I doubt I need it with my older card.

Thanx to Kalyway.

It worked perfect without a single problem, all combo+kernel+graphics, I did nothing special except I replace the PowerManagment.bundle to get my Battery indicator back.

I have hp dv9000t

iATKOS + EFI + Stock kernel

every thing working even sleep and wake up, except ethernet and memory card reader.

Thank You Kalyway

empra

Absolutely amazing, Kalyway.

I did the same as everyone else... Kaly's 10.5.2 update (repaired permissions before reboot) + Kaly's new kernel installer + the graphics update. EVERYTHING works and it all took less than 20 minutes.

My Xbench score is roughly the same as before (see sig).

One question: I had previously installed NVinstaller v.32 which contained graphics kexts from an early developer version of 10.5.2. How can be sure that I now have the updated versions of those kexts rather than the beta versions? Also: Does the fact that my card is now supported in 10.5.2 mean that I don't need NVinject.kext any longer?

Absolutely amazing, Kalyway.

I did the same as everyone else... Kaly's 10.5.2 update (repaired permissions before reboot) + Kaly's new kernel installer + the graphics update. EVERYTHING works and it all took less than 20 minutes.

My Xbench score is roughly the same as before (see sig).

One question: I had previously installed NVinstaller v.32 which contained graphics kexts from an early developer version of 10.5.2. How can be sure that I now have the updated versions of those kexts rather than the beta versions? Also: Does the fact that my card is now supported in 10.5.2 mean that I don't need NVinject.kext any longer?

the kext from v.32 is exact same as the apple update. why dont you try it without nvinject and tell us the results

Well, I ran the Kalyway update, and the Kalyway kernel update, no problem. Installed the graphics update, and it still worked fine, but it also didn't add the graphic support I expected. I have an Nvidia 8400m GS, and I had been waiting for 10.5.2 for support, but nothing has changed with the update. The resolution had only one setting (whatever is under 1280 x 800), so I downloaded Nvinject v .33 and installed the top two choices. After reboot, it went to the black screen for about 15 minutes, so I shut it off. Started it up again, only went to the black screen for a couple seconds, but then locked on the blue background screen. I booted again into safe boot, and it loaded to the login screen, but once I login it locks to the blue screen again. I have a mouse pointer to move but thats it. Does anyone have any advice or ideas? I'm newer to OSx86 but I'm a fairly advanced computer user and can follow directions well.

Thanks in advance,

Beeve

EDIT: Just remembered the first time I booted with the long black screen I had a dual monitor hooked up, I unplugged it afterwards.