Plucka

152 posts in this topic

kaly efi mbr

did the update thru apple update b4 checkin here

{censord}'d me. I cant get my rig to boot.

at first i got the package 0 error.

i removed AppleIntelCPU blah.kext

still wont boot

i ran the 1.sh script in InstallAtReboot after i cahnged the 'do not steal osx' to dsmos or whatever all went fine but now it wont boot.

it loads all the kexts but hangs after my natit loads w/ DirectoryService.

any ideas? am i going to have to do a clean re-install?

i shoulda set up TM.

I think it is really inconsiderate of Apple to break all of our Hackintoshes!

There goes the theory that Vanilla Kernels won't be breakable for updates anymore ;)

Yeah how dare they try to protect their interests! :) Congrats to all that made the update.

{I'm still workin on getting anythin to work (don't worry I won't bug anyone untill I follow guides).}

In case, you're just tuning in, the upgrade instructions and what you have to save are already are in this thread. Read the whole thing.

Works for me with Kalway 10.5.1 Vanilla GUID install. Followed NetKas instructions, replaced AppleSMBios with backup, restarted....

Upgrade took about 2 mins, then restarted again

It hung at Apple logo for about 15 mins, then I forced a reboot. Stayed on Apple logo for about < 1 min then blue desktop appeared, wait 20 secs or so then login screen....

Cue HUGE sigh of relief.

got it. downloaded the combo updated referenced in this thread, put it on a usbkey, booted from the kaly leo disk. ran the combo update thru terminal, removed appleintelcpublah.kext rebooted a few times and i'm posting from 10.5.2 update on kaly :-D

was getting scared!

ratbert:

I'd suggest downloading the 10.5.2 combo update linked earlier in this thread, put it on a usb key, boot off ur kaly dvd, mount the comboupdate.dmg using diskutil and run the .pkg inside via terminal. then delete the AppleIntelCPUblah.kext and try rebooting a few times.

It seems a lot of questions revolve around people using the vanilla kernel...

Just curious though--any idea for us running ToH's patched Darwin 9.1 kernel?

(NB: I tend to prefer kernel updates at the same time--for some reason, my machines run better)

Everything worked just fine for me.

1. Downloaded DMG (no software update!!)

2. Used Pacifist. Drag the PKG from the DMG to Pacifist. Highlight all the contents. Deselect AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (/System/Library/Extensions).

3. Open Finder and root yourself to /System/Library/Extensions. Drag to the far right and leave open scroll to AppleIntel kext files.

4. In Pacifist - Click Install

5. Watch the finder window. As soon as AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is loaded into your finder window DRAG TO TRASH FAST!!! (if your slow on the draw you can get a kernel panic thus damaging your whole OS)

6. While its still Paci-fisting (hehe) go ahead and empty you trash.

7. complete.

8. {Optional} i haven't tested this but go back to /System/Library/Extensions and delete Dont Steal Mac kext. Not sure if it matters i still have it on mine and my system still runs smoothly

I even did the Leopard Graphics update i don't see a big diff with it though. Hope this helps newbies and pioneers to the game.

GA-P35C-DS3R

Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2ghz

2gb DDR2 RAM 533 (i know)

Nvidia GeForce 7300GT 256MB - Natit

Kalyway 10.5.1 GUID/EFI v8 vanilla

SATA 350GB/ SATA 160GB western digitals fo'sho'

forget everything you've read...

kalyway has an updater out now that automatically preserves the important kexts and insures your system keeps going :(

also, the first reboot is whack- EVEN ON REAL MACS- so chill out and just keep waiting till its done, it'll restart and all will be fine :)

anyone have any experience with 2600xt after the graphics update? I dont want to kill my install :) also, if I do take the plunge and try it myself can time machine undo it? I've never really used time machine before.. never had the spare drive like I do now :)

So after all this whole EFI thing was pretty much useless! Because they said that now that EFI is emulated, OSX updates will be installable with no problems..but now it's giving so much problems that machines acn't boot normal after the update without performing some special stuff to ensure it all works!! So what's the point of EFI!