[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

You can't change it because it has rights, root is the owner and no other user can change it, but there are several ways to do it.

To make changes with Property List Editor you need to copy the plist file to any of you user's directory (folders on finder) or to the desktop (which in reality is another directory), then open with Property List Editor make your changes and save it, then copy back the plist file from where it originally came.

Another way is to make the changes with a Text Editor directly on the Terminal with a program called pico (or its twin brother nano).

Open Terminal and write the following commands:

sudo su

that command make you the root user, it will ask for your password, so if your user don't has a password you need to put it one, if you don't know how to put a password on your user go to System Preferences click Accounts Pane and select your user, in the password tab click the "change password" button.

then write:

pico /path to the file/directory/subdirectory/this:file.plist

change the second part of where your file is and the name.

make your changes and hit Control-X, since you are already the root user you have write permission to that file.

then type:

"exit" or "reboot"

You can also make the same with a single command line:

sudo pico /path to the file/directory/subdirectory/this:file.plist

the system will ask for your password

Just a note, your user need to be and Admin, by default the first user you create on installation is an Admin.

Anther way is to copy the plist file to your desktop (or other folder) and edit with a GUI Text Editor like TextEdit, or a third party app like BBEdit, or TextWrangler (freeware and light edition of BBEdit).

The difference in the values on Property List Editor and Text is that the first one present the values in Hexadecimal format ant the second in encoded Binary.

Just another Note not all of the PLIST files are directly editable by a Text Editor, you need to convert them from binary to text, here is a post where I explain how to: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=104826

Hi Mac Girl!

I was wondering if the is a way to get dual Display fully working on a DELL xps 1530 with the nvidia 8600m gt video card.

I would be very gratefull if you could help me :D

thanks!!!

Another tips for editing plists is to open Property Listy Editor from terminal

sudo /Developer/Applications/Utilities/Property\ List\ Editor.app/Contents/MacOS/Property\ List\ Editor

Then you can open and save files that are for root only. Just remember to be careful and close it completely immediately after use.

Is there an audio kext for the M1330 that allows the headphones to work without speakers? Right now not being able to mute speakers while using headphones is an issue

Normally the speakers can be switched off in audio preferences (you should have two options). You can still use one of the two headphone outputs for earphones.

Hi Mac Girl!

I was wondering if the is a way to get dual Display fully working on a DELL xps 1530 with the nvidia 8600m gt video card.

I would be very gratefull if you could help me :hysterical:

thanks!!!

Try the NVCAP values I posted, there are a lot more on NVinject site, the ones I posted work for the Exteranl VGA connector, I have no DVI/HDMI monitor to tes other values.

Did anyone get the internal mic to work ? I could use it for skype and such...

No. use an USB one.

You can't change it because it has rights, root is the owner and no other user can change it, but there are several ways to do it.

Just another Note not all of the PLIST files are directly editable by a Text Editor, you need to convert them from binary to text, here is a post where I explain how to: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=104826

Thanks a lot macgirl!

But I could't it. I methinks am maladroit

Is not possible the momment, for SpeedStep ther is a particular kernel and does not work well for Sleep, also vanilla Kernel and Sleep kernel does not work for SpeedStep.

Hello, apologies for stepping on any toes, my knowledge is very limited. I successfully completed an install on a bare bones Vostro 1500 x3100 a few months back, mostly just to see if I could do it. Frankly, I know very little about navigating the mac os since I've been relegated to windows use for so many years. The machine runs mostly ok with osx despite the fact that I haven't implemented a very good solution for sleep. I setup a hot corner, which I think shuts off the display but doesn't truly trigger sleep.

In any event, just curious if there has been any development progress in recent weeks on the use of Speedstep with a complete implementation of Sleep/Resume? I will rebuild this machine again once these features are no longer mutually exclusive.

Thanks for your time and fantastic contribution.

Try the NVCAP values I posted, there are a lot more on NVinject site, the ones I posted work for the Exteranl VGA connector, I have no DVI/HDMI monitor to tes other values.

No. use an USB one.

If reboot/shutdown don't work with the new NVidia kexts, ignore me saying that reboot/shutdown worked...

Anyways, i guess it worked becuase it wasn't using the NVidia drivers... I'm back to Just sleep... at least we know what the root of the problem is tho.

If reboot/shutdown don't work with the new NVidia kexts, ignore me saying that reboot/shutdown worked...

Anyways, i guess it worked becuase it wasn't using the NVidia drivers... I'm back to Just sleep... at least we know what the root of the problem is tho.

Thanks, jake123, I'm trying to see why the new kext don't work.

I downloaded the whole Leo4All V3 only to have thos kexts, right know I read mixed reports, some say they worked for them, andd some say they didn't.

Hello, apologies for stepping on any toes, my knowledge is very limited. I successfully completed an install on a bare bones Vostro 1500 x3100 a few months back, mostly just to see if I could do it. Frankly, I know very little about navigating the mac os since I've been relegated to windows use for so many years. The machine runs mostly ok with osx despite the fact that I haven't implemented a very good solution for sleep. I setup a hot corner, which I think shuts off the display but doesn't truly trigger sleep.

In any event, just curious if there has been any development progress in recent weeks on the use of Speedstep with a complete implementation of Sleep/Resume? I will rebuild this machine again once these features are no longer mutually exclusive.

Thanks for your time and fantastic contribution.

Superhai has come up with a fix for sleep.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=668434

Newer here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=669969

You will need to upgrade to 10.5.2 before it will work.

He also has an installer for sleep with the lid closed.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=694940

Thanks Macgirl for all the quick helpflul answers!

I've tried installing Leo4all-v3, i get a nasty AppleAcpiPlatform related crash on boot and can't get to start the install! Even trying with cpus=1 it gets stuck on IOAPIC, does anyone know a solution? (I have a Vostro 1500) 

I don't know what is causing the stuck on the IOAPIC message, in the past with som DVD's like Jas 10.4.8 a solution was ejecting the install disk and reinsert inmediatly, don't know if that trick still works with Leopard.

Hi everyone,

I've been checking this thread for a couple weeks now and I've tried just about everything under the sun that's been posted. I could really use a short step by step that doesn't assume that I know anything. I mean, I've tried all of the Taruga patchers, the different dump files, the STAC9228 installer from taruga, all of the options posted here and STILL the sound doesn't work.

It's not that i'm not getting any sound, it's that the computer is straight up NOT finding the sound card. Could you help me out MacGirl?

~TheCole

All of us are having problems with sound, remember that the kext that Taruga provided is EXPERIMENTAL.

As the first post said, some gain soun after several reboots, the only way to know if the kexts is load is checking with kextstat on Terminal, or in the sound Pane of System Preferences, but if AppleAzalia.kext is installed it will show a sound output and input in the pane.

Also if the ALCInject.kexts is not installed the AppleHDA.kext wont load.

So even if all is loaded right, some gain sound after the sleep trick, of after several reboots.

We have not an exactly Idea why this is happening.

I reported that I loose sound if I booted firs on other OS (I tested with Vista, Xp and Linux), if I rebooted twice or if I boot from nothing (means the computes was off) I have sound. But maybe other users can gain sound if they boot first in other OS, like if the other OS switch the card on, on other computers some user need to do this for other components, I read that some Bluetooth devices or NICs need this.

anybody tried to use the beta graphic kext from 10.5.3 ? maybe it will fix the shutdown/restart problem ?

I tested them, but without the OpenGL bundle and they don't fix the Shutdown/Restart problem.

Even worst without the OGL bundle the performance decreased enormously, I am trying to get the OGL bundle and do more tests.

After some (tons) of leopard installs i got it to work but, i have a small question/problem.

After installing the nvinject go all the quartz accelerated stuff like moving windows expose, spaces works slower than before (and way more slower compared to my old pentium m with a 6600. I know the 6600 is faster, but not that fast)

Ok...i guess it was that..disabled 1 core (vanilla Acpiplatform >.<) and works faster...so it's not the card :D

Btw...i have a small problem, does iatkos have a special root password? because i can't do anything as root (trying to repair permissions for the alcinject and i can't)

Edit: Wasn't the 1 core thingie...i had the screen sleep turned off at 1 minute...and it somehow fixed it? (still investigating)

Edit: Oki fixed..as for the login thingie..forgot leopard doesn't likes empty passwords

Instead of waiting for the display to sleep (1 minute at least) you can set a "hot corner" to make the display sleeps, in System Preferences -> Exposé & Spaces

in Exposé tab on Active Screen Corners.

Thanks for very nice instructions, I've just got the lappy and eager to install... Currently downloading iATKOS_v1.0ir2.iso using eMule. (Doesn't go fast though)

What about the MediaDirect partition? Can we leave it? I'm talking about Mediacenter like program which runs without loading the main OS when you press media buttons, (I think it's on windows XP embedded, since I see the XP logo when I turn it off).

I've tried to add another partition for Leo with Departed, but it told me that only 4 primary partition can be in one hard drive. I even want another for Ubuntu.

Any ideas?

Thanks.