[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

Macgirl's original post hasn't been updated since July, what's the current status of OS-X 10.5.5 on the M1530 guys n gals?

Sound fully working now?

Sleep working fine?

Wifi (Intel 4965) working now?

6800GT supporting all acceleration?

Is there a one-guide-fits the bill available out there?

Anyone know if there's a solution for that so that Shutdown completely powers off my M1530?

There is no solution with the nvidia kexts loaded. I've said this I'm not sure how many times.

2. Sleep for my dell inspiron 1520 is not working, but then also i used the "lid sleep" fix from 1.3.1 installer. Then also

the problem of sleep still exists. my laptop doesn't get sleep, when my laptop goes to sleep it doesn't come out of that.

So is there any solution to get sleep working on dell inspiron 1520 with iatkos 4i. Superhai had released some usbehci kexts for iatkos 2i. Will they work on iatkos 4i. if yes/no how to install those kext and also provide link. And also tell if installing those will stop my usb ports from working. (i dont wanna lose the whole system for getting sleep working).

The Superhai kexts will work in all Leopard releases. They should not stop your USB ports from working. Visit http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html and read about EHCISleepEnabler.kext. Also ensure that IOUSBFamily.kext and AppleUSBEHCI.kext are loading correctly. I JUST finished talking about sleep a page or so back.

Sound fully working now?

Sleep working fine?

Wifi (Intel 4965) working now?

6800GT supporting all acceleration?

Is there a one-guide-fits the bill available out there?\

Yes.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

It is in giant letters in my signature.

Please people, search Google. It isn't hard. Go to Google and do this:

blablabla site:forum.insanelymac.com

This will answer your questions on shutdown/restart, current Dell status, how to get sleep working, etc. I think I am answering the same "How do I get shutdown working" about ninety times. This is probably why macgirl, Superhai, and the rest rarely post in this thread. They are tired of the same old stuff from people who are too lazy to search.

This will answer your questions on shutdown/restart, current Dell status, how to get sleep working, etc. I think I am answering the same "How do I get shutdown working" about ninety times. This is probably why macgirl, Superhai, and the rest rarely post in this thread. They are tired of the same old stuff from people who are too lazy to search.

You're completly right Wingrunr21.

Please people, don't ask always the same question, just browse this thread. All is written in.

Thanks.

Apologies .... I should've read all 127 pages worth of this thread, 200 pages worth of Intel Wifi driver status, 30 odd pages of Sound driver status and goodness knows how many more on the status of sleep. [idea: Wonder why nobody's maintained this in its entirety into a succint step-by-step Wiki/FAQ.]

Wingrun ... you might want to click the GIANT LINK in your sig ... a search on "XPS M1530 Installation Guide" throws up 3 threads none of which are yours and one of which is this one. Thanks for answering my questions though; the yes/no's were genuinely what I wanted to know.

Apologies .... I should've read all 127 pages worth of this thread, 200 pages worth of Intel Wifi driver status, 30 odd pages of Sound driver status and goodness knows how many more on the status of sleep. [idea: Wonder why nobody's maintained this in its entirety into a succint step-by-step Wiki/FAQ.]

That is what the google search is for. I'm sorry if I appeared to singling you out but I've been answering the exact same questions over and over again. While it is certainly difficult to read 127 pages of stuff many of your questions were previously answered in the past few pages. I believe all of them except the 6800GT were actually.

As for the maintenance, see below.

My apologies for the wrong link. There have been some moderators editing my signature and the link got messed up. That's also a lot less giant than it used to be. Again, some downsizing has been done.

macgirl, I'm going to make updating the front page very easy for you. The following are the links to the important stuff that's happened:

Chrysaor's no sleep sound fix: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=929044

Superhai's GenericCPUPowerManagement: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=123774

Superhai's DSDT.aml: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=951059

Updating for non-retail installs: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=109102

Internal mic thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=130822

Chrysaor's NVCAP for M1530: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=932017

macgirl's nvinject: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=897593

iwidarwin: http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/

My working boot ISO: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=929140

My installation guide: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=119654

AppleDecrypt: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=121874

Voodoo Kernel: https://groups.google.com/group/xnu-dev/web/home

TM Fix: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=932684

I think that's close to it.

i have read somewhere in this guide that for sleep to work, we need a vanilla kernel installed and use superhai's EHCISleepEnabler.kext. i copied EHCISleepEnabler.kext into extensions folder and then used chown and chmod and also modified info.plist in AppleUSBEHCI's content folder. My sleep is still not working. then i checked kextstat, both APPLEUSBEHCI.kext and IOusbfamily.kext were loaded correctly. then i opened system profiler and checked kernel version

i have DARWIN kernel 9.4.0. is darwin kernel 9.4.0 same as vanilla kernel. if not, how to install vanilla kernel 9.4.0 to get the

sleep working. plz provide link for vanilla kernel 9.4.0 and how to install it ?

Hello all,

Since i added my dsdt table fix to chameleon i had 2 times graphics freeze with this kind of messages (i had it one time before using the dsdt fix):

kernel NVChannel(GL): Graphics channel exception! status = 0xffff info32 = 0xd = GR: SW Notify Error

kernel NVChannel(GL): Graphics channel timeout!

etc...

I'm not sure this is related to dsdt but i saw someone saying that this problem could be related to PowerManagement problem and, as i know, dsdt fix some issue with power management so...

I also know this issue is known on real Apple Computers but i'm asking:

Are you guys, having the same issue?

I have an Xps 1530 with a 8600m gt and i never saw someone saying he had this issue.

Can you confirm that i'm the only one to have this?

If yes i probably have an hardware problem and i must tell dell to replace my gpu but for this, i must confirm it under Vista whereas they won't trust me.

Thanks guys for answering.

i cannot change my desktop background and dont see desktop icons on my dell inspiron 1520 after installing gma x3100 frm dell post installer. i have repaired disk permissions. default wallpaper comes blue only.

if i change my screen resolution once then my wallpaper changes which i had selected before resolution change, so everytime i want to change my background i need to change screen resolution for that and also for getting all icons on desktop

i have read somewhere in this guide that for sleep to work, we need a vanilla kernel installed and use superhai's EHCISleepEnabler.kext. i copied EHCISleepEnabler.kext into extensions folder and then used chown and chmod and also modified info.plist in AppleUSBEHCI's content folder. My sleep is still not working. then i checked kextstat, both APPLEUSBEHCI.kext and IOusbfamily.kext were loaded correctly. then i opened system profiler and checked kernel version

i have DARWIN kernel 9.4.0. is darwin kernel 9.4.0 same as vanilla kernel. if not, how to install vanilla kernel 9.4.0 to get the

sleep working. plz provide link for vanilla kernel 9.4.0 and how to install it ?

Are you running retail, iDeneb, etc...?

I'm not sure this is related to dsdt but i saw someone saying that this problem could be related to PowerManagement problem and, as i know, dsdt fix some issue with power management so...

Are you using your own dsdt or superhai's? It could be that a new dsdt patcher has been released that fixes some of your issues. Have you tried re-creating your dsdt?

i cannot change my desktop background and dont see desktop icons on my dell inspiron 1520 after installing gma x3100 frm dell post installer. i have repaired disk permissions. default wallpaper comes blue only.

if i change my screen resolution once then my wallpaper changes which i had selected before resolution change, so everytime i want to change my background i need to change screen resolution for that and also for getting all icons on desktop

Check to ensure that the kext is being loaded without any errors. The command "kextstat" on the command line can help you with this. Also check the Console application for startup errors. Last option is to scan the X3100 thread to see if others have your problem: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=70282

Are you using your own dsdt or superhai's? It could be that a new dsdt patcher has been released that fixes some of your issues. Have you tried re-creating your dsdt?

Hi wingrunr21,

Thanks for answering.

I discuss about it with Superhai and it could be possible that the dsdt can cause the gpu issue.

To answer, i made my own dsdt made with the dsdt patcher from fassl.

They told me to look into the dsdt.aml file but as i am completly a noob with patching hardware, acpi, etc... i won't be able to do something good.

For now, the dsdt file i've made works with the hpet fix but i will try without the dsdt fix as i can't work anymore with this gpu issue.

Regards,

I don't think anything but M1330 can use the DSDT posted by Superhai. I tried it and couldn't even boot with it.

I modified DSDT generated from M1530 with the Superhai's changes and DSDT patcher.

Didn't get any freezes or timeouts with DSDT. Although with AppleIntelCPUPM loaded, the sound stutters so I removed it.

I don't think anything but M1330 can use the DSDT posted by Superhai. I tried it and couldn't even boot with it.

I modified DSDT generated from M1530 with the Superhai's changes and DSDT patcher.

Didn't get any freezes or timeouts with DSDT. Although with AppleIntelCPUPM loaded, the sound stutters so I removed it.

Could you post it for overshoot to try?

For anyone with a Dell XPS 1530 having sleep problems I have finally got this to work. I found that after following the instructions for installing the Superhai sleep enabler that my dell would only sleep when the power adaptor was unplugged. If I tried to sleep with the power cord in it would just reboot.

There is an option in the BIOS that disables "wake from usb" function of the laptop. This option is temporarily disabled for you when you unplug the power chord. Disable this option in the BIOS and sleep works with and without the power in!

The Superhai lid sleep kext works well to engage sleep but the system only wakes from the lid open motion once in a while. I have to press the power button to get it to wake up.

I don't know if this is helpful or not, hopefully it will be............

Could you post it for overshoot to try?

Hi Wingrunr21,

Thanks for trying.

I think that the one i've made works as the one Chrysaor made.

I was able to load the appleintelcpupowermanagement kext. I then removed all powermanagement kext but my Hack becomed so slow (fassl told me i was not alone in that case), i decided to re-activate the Disabler kext and restore the GenericPowermanagement kext from Superhai.

I really think that i've got an hardware problem (Nvidia Gpu issue) and that dsdt works as it should for me.

I need to stress my gpu under vista in order to know.

Regards,

Hi Wingrunr21,

Thanks for trying.

I think that the one i've made works as the one Chrysaor made.

I was able to load the appleintelcpupowermanagement kext. I then removed all powermanagement kext but my Hack becomed so slow (fassl told me i was not alone in that case), i decided to re-activate the Disabler kext and restore the GenericPowermanagement kext from Superhai.

I really think that i've got an hardware problem (Nvidia Gpu issue) and that dsdt works as it should for me.

I need to stress my gpu under vista in order to know.

Regards,

Hello,

So dsdt was not the problem.

Also, i tried to stress the gpu under Vista and i did not get any freeze or artefacts.

So i'm asking myself, did i miss something while installing updates or, am i using an old nvidia driver version?

I don't know what to do except reinstalling my system and as i'm working on it, it would be a very annoying thing to do as i don't want to loose configuration parameters...

Anyone has an idea?

Thanks.

Superhai, not sure if you read my previous message. I'm getting problems with Power Detection using the DSDT fix with your updated DSDT.aml file. The computer cannot detect if it is plugged in or not (it always says it is plugged in). It will, however, correctly display the remaining percentage in the battery but will not calculate the remaining time (it always says "Not Charging").

Superhai, not sure if you read my previous message.

I have updated it a bit. xpsm1330_nv8400m.v12.dsdt.aml.zip I am working on it a bit more, removed the EC stuff for now. It is for XPS M1330 only (and for nvidia card users only) a DSDT is a specific hardware map for the computer and as thus is specific to the machine. You might compare it and use parts of it on other machines.

Hello, I've been having this question in my mind for some time:

How do you equalize monitor color in Windows and OSx. In my case, Vista and OSx. In vista colors are way more saturated, while in osx they are somewhat greysh and dull. I tried changing color profiles but I achieved no big diference, concerning saturation. I guess that my only chance would be recallibrating the monitor, but I really want to avoid that...so do you have any idea how to make video output look the same? Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

I would appreciate if someone posted their colour profiles so that I can make further tests.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I've got the XPS M1530 8600M GT with the LG PHILIPS 1440x900 panel with drivers working ok in both osx and win.

Hi,

for everyone they use a xps 1330 with nvidia card. You know the nvidia performance is very bad directly after boot. To get it fast, you have to put the notebook to sleep. I've found in forum (it was a vostro thread) that it reach to put the display to sleep and wake it up again so it isnt needed to put complet notebook to sleep. I have searched for a command to put display to sleep and i didnt found it (it's late in germany ^^) but i found a tool named sleepdisplay which can do this without any other useractions. I have installed this app and activated this on startup. Now the xps boot into leopard and the display goes a short moment into standby. I have to move the mouse only to wake it up and the videocard is on normal speed. Maybe this is interesting for someone. Here is a link to this little app. http://www.imalc.com/Site/SleepDisplay.html

Yes but it worries me to let the hotcorner permanently active because i activate it sometimes without i want it. Also you will need this workaround only for one time after boot. Okay, everyone should fix it with another ways. This is my ^^ I need coffee...

Hi,

here's is my story with my XPS 1330 (8400M GS)

I've read about the "new" NVinject method on this topic(post no. 2188) and I want to try it.

I've installed on my XPS Kalyway 10.5.2, updated to 10.5.5 with netkas method and with vanilla kernel. Nothing else I want just to focus on QE/CI of my video card in the first stage.

First: I can boot only with -x in leopard after installing 10.5.5 (maybe for video kext of 10.5.5)

Second In -x mode I installed the NVinject of the post 2188 (reparing permission ect..)

Third Reboot: The XPS in the middle of the loading shuts off.

Fourth: Reboot in -s mode remove NVinject. nothing same problem

Fifth: Reboot in -x mode same problem

Sixth: Reboot in -s mode and remove the Nvidia drivers the same problem

So I've just added NVinject file, and I've just removed it.... Do I miss something?

EDIT---

I don't know why but reinstalling all, 10.5.2, 10.5.5 combo update , nvinject and chameleon efi solve the problem... instead of using PCI EFI bundled with kalyway 10.5.2 it seems...

I was not able to get the sound work in 10.5.5 (in 10.5.2 was workin') but all solved with the kext of this

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=867826

Maybe there is still another incompatible injector installed from your Kalyway setup so look in your extensions folder. If you dont find anything lets show us your kext folder using following command: ls -la /System/Library/Extensions/ > kext. Attach file in your post and it can be reviewed from us.

Regards

MACGIRL!!!!

please write your "recipe" for m1330 with 10.5.5... I mean just what you install no screenshot and things that take time. For instance:

- Install Kalyway

- Install Combo

- install extension.kext

and so on.. a little list with all the extra extension that you install.

PLEASE!

Anyone tried deep sleep with pc_efiv9?

I put it to deep sleep, but it doesn't turn off the computer like hibernate, how does it supposed to work?

Tried removing the battery and pulling out the power cord when its deep sleeping, but than it fails to resume from sleepimage, just boots regularly.