(mostly) successful Leopard install on ECS 945GCT-M/1333

ducman

341 posts in this topic

maybe this is the result of running on PC hardware but USB on this board seems to suck big time. durring installation it has a tissy fit about anything USB even the keybaord and mouse if it gets unplugged.

I picked up a USB enclosure for my 5th 500GB drive that I wanted to use as an offline rotational backup and the disk doesn't doesn't show up in diskutil even from a cold power up. The disk contains a single ZFS pool.

I plugged the now USB disk in to both my Macbook and Macbook Pro and it shows up read-only no problem.

I also had the finicky behavior issues with a USB flash drive with all 4x sata disks plugged in. once I unplugged the SATA cables from the drives and left power on the USB flash drive came right up.

This is all on a verified kalyway vanilla kernel, which i'm not even sure is really a vanilla kernel now. I may try to install the retail OS from within my kalyway install to see if I get any better results.

ok, well, things have been really good, then really bad.

I started out with this post, and an 80 gb IDE drive, IDE DVD Drive

Installed everything, as the posting, and had great luck, got sound, ran updates, all was good.

Then, ,I realized that I needed another bigger drive, as the apps were filling up the 80 quickly.

I bought a 500GB SATA drive and dug in.

Installed the 500GB, ran the same process again, and had it up and running quickly.

Again, things were good.

Ran the 10.5.2 update, again, GOOD

ran the kernel update, GOOD

then, I was dumb enough to run the video update, and got locked into 1024x768 (Im using the onboard video for now)

Ok, so this was a bit of a pain, but I figured I could just reboot the install DVD and reinstall.

Now, when I boot the DVD, It goes to the grey Mac "loading" section, and there it sits.. Well over 30 minutes so far, and nothing. just chugs along...

Anyone experienced this one? any ideas?

Do the drives have to be unformatted, or PC formatted to make this work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Knyte

@knyte2

Try to burn a new copy of the install dvd, maybe it has a scratch on it. What I have learned since >I started installing Tiger 10.4.1, it is that each version chech harder the hardware condition, it happened to me, I had a hard disk where I could install Windows XP and 10.4.5, but when I tried to install 10.4.6 I couldn't install it. After a while the hard disk died, the new OS X detected the error first.

Have you try to install using your original configuration, ie, using your smaller hard disk?

Try erasing the hard disk parition in the 500 GB hard disk first.

one odd thing I noticed was the more disk drives I had plugged in durring installation, the longer it took to get passed the grey screen. have 5 drives and a USB stick took what seemed like 15 minutes or more. I pulled the sata cables and only booted with the onboard video, PCI GigE NIC, IDE DVDROM & PATA disk drive. this got the installer to come up much much faster.

It seems that something was odd, and I ended up doing a low leve format of both drives.

Oddly, I got a BSOD from windows XP (tried to use that to format the drives) during the install load, so I couldnt use that one at all.

Once the format was done, then all went back to good, and Im up and running again.

Once the video card shows, I might try the video upgrade again, but until then, I will avoid it for the GMA950 video

Has anyone else had video wierdness after the 10.5.2 update? and runnig the video update? anyone been able to recover from them?

How are you updating to 10.5.2? Kalyway?

I had video issues after updating to 10.5.2 with Kalyway. About a 1 minute to 1 1/2 minute delay with no video on boot. Apparently it does something to the kernal with that update, and there's a kernal patch from Kalyway that fixed my video issues. I'll try to track down the post where I read that and the link to the kernal patch.... It's here somewhere, I just have to find it again!

I ran the Kalyway 10.5.2 update, and had no issues, then ran the kernel update, and had not issues.

When I ran the video update from apple - big problems.

But then Im also using the stock on board video

Ok, so, it seems that I've started having issues getting things set up on 1 drive with partitions, and getting the system to insall onto one partition. Are you guys using multiple partitions on the sysytem drive? Or mostly one partition on the system drive?

THanks

Ok, so it seems that I have gotten it installed and working.

Couple of limitations that I have found so far.

Only installs and works with the main drive beiing one partition, even in GUID. It wont let me change the size of the partitions on that drive either. Im wondering if its something I did oddly with the EFI installation, isn't it supposed to end up on it's own little partition? Im not showing more than the one partition.

Parallels also crashes out when I try and run it, not really too sure about this one, if anyone has gotten it working Id love some help. Im thinking that there's something in the system that is confusing it. I have an ungodly number of USB ports hooked up, all the MOBO, and a PCI card with 4 more.

Thanks for all the help

Knyte

I've tried numerous codec dumps to try and get my sound working on a v3 Mobo, all to no avail, so I finally gave up.

Picked up this little gem on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...y0%3D%26fvi%3D1

Works like a charm right out of the gate.... OSx recognizes the USB Sound device and it shows up in my sound control panel and I now have sound. Kind of a pain that I have to have another USB device attached to this thing, but nothing I've done so far gave me any sound through any ports on the mobo, so this was the least painful solution. Better than having no sound at all! :angel:

I've tried numerous codec dumps to try and get my sound working on a v3 Mobo, all to no avail, so I finally gave up.

Works like a charm right out of the gate.... OSx recognizes the USB Sound device and it shows up in my sound control panel and I now have sound. Kind of a pain that I have to have another USB device attached to this thing, but nothing I've done so far gave me any sound through any ports on the mobo, so this was the least painful solution. Better than having no sound at all! :(

I am at nearly the same point on the ECS-945GCT-M/1333 V3 - the macine runs good but no audio no matter what I do. So have followed your lead and ordered one of these USB devices.

If it works for me, it will save shopping for a more compatible MB.

thanks,

Neil

EDITED: February 24 2008

NOTE: The updated information is in green.

From a personal message from one of you, I noticed that the download link in the original post is not working anymore!

So I decided to upload to my rapidshare premium account, this is the link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/94571044/Audio_Setup_Sigmatel_9220.zip

PD: Don't ask me to upload in another download service, since I won't.

Well I have the ECS 945GCT-M/1333 with sound right now and installing Final Cut!!!

Check this post: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=78113 (The download link is not working, but feel to check if there are other files for you).

It is in spanish but basicly what you have to do is:

1. Download the files, click on the link in the post and you download a zip file with all you need.

2. Unzip the file in the Hackintosh.

3. Copy the AppleHDAPatcher v1.16 to the desktop.

4. Drop the Codec Dump 9221 D file on it, it is the *.txt file. (This will take some time, since it also fixes permissions of the partition).

5. Restart

6. Now copy the AppleHDA.kext file in SYSTEM/LIBRARY/EXTENTIONS, backup the original file first.

7. Load the DISK UTILITY and repair permissions on the partition and restart.

8. You should have sound right now, the only funny thing is that the sound comes out from the MIC connector (RED/PINK one), but you have sound.

Why you don't read all the comments in this post. There is a fix for the audio problem since february 1st, 2008.

Works like a charm right out of the gate.... OSx recognizes the USB Sound device and it shows up in my sound control panel and I now have sound. Kind of a pain that I have to have another USB device attached to this thing, but nothing I've done so far gave me any sound through any ports on the mobo, so this was the least painful solution. Better than having no sound at all! :)

Another winner here. That worked like a charm! Plugged it in, rebooted and now have audio! oh, and magically my onboard ethernet started working. I didn't do anything to get it working other than adding the device in system preferences after seeing it in `system_profiler`.

Ok, so, here's the "new guy" again, and I really hope Im not driving you all nuts with the questions yet.

So far everything is working (outwardly)

It seems that the GUID system with (the OS) partition wont resize.

When I did the setup, I set it to one partition, and then executed the scripts that were listed in P1 of this guide.

When I installed from the Kalyway disk, I had the EFI 8 GUID checked,

might this be causing what I'm experiencing? Any help would be huge.

Thanks guys

Knyte

ok, so after mucking about with the EFI install method here, and not being able to get GUID partition sizes to change on the system drive (likely something I was missing) I found a file called bootefi.zip that installs EFI with a .sh script. Works without a hitch. If you're doing a new install, I highly recommend it.

It also works with a Carbon Copy Clone, or other disk image. Just restore the image, and run the script on the new drive and you're there

hey ...i can't get sleep working for nothing...

i picked up this board because it is cheap and from all the post i've read , it is very compatible except for sound ( cheap ebay/$5/usb soundcard works right out the box! ).

i see a couple of post here with people who have sleep working..... i don't see s3 suspend to ram in the bios....

can someone let me know if they have s3 in the bios? or how they got sleep to work......i'm gonna update my sig now so you can see what i did......

Have any of you using this board tried the Leopard Graphics Update?

There was a thread I looked at and they had about a 50/50 mix. It either worked or it bricked.... I've got everything working really nice now... my dual boot to vista is finally working. I don't want to brick this, so I haven't tried the graphics update. I'm running a Geforce 8400, FWIW...

Part of me wants to try just to see what will happen, and part of me wants to stay as far away as possible from anything that might mess up my install. The curious part will probably win out, so I'm trying to at least do some homework before it does!

I ran it and it bricked, well, kind of. I am using the onboard graphics and it locked me into 1024 x 768. I have heard other stories about supported graphics boards being alright. Could always create an image of the working install with something like superduper, and give it a shot. It's a breeze to restore. If nothing else, I have learned how to do a restore quickly, and relatively painlessly