(mostly) successful Leopard install on ECS 945GCT-M/1333

ducman

341 posts in this topic

Cool - keep us posted. Maybe we can finally get sleep to work with this mobo...

Sorry for getting a while to get back on this.

What I found is in order to get sleep to work I have to disable Wake up by USB Keyborad and mouse in the Bios also if you have any external USB device plug in to your box you have to disconnect them. But after i upgrade it to 10.5.7 with distro by IATKOS v.7 then everything work better include this sleep issue. However this mobo it take an extra long long time to boot up (Approx. 5 minute or more) I don't know if any body else has this problem, so I seldom turn it off, just let it sleep and push the power button to wake it up when i need to use it.

(Edit 1)

By the way, lately I have been trying to install SL on this mobo but no luck, I got KP right off when booting the install disk.

Anyone has luck with it ?.

Hi everyone.

I finish to install the 10.5.6 combo update, after installing the ps2 mouse and keyboard fail, i use the ps2 fix; also the sound fail and i fixed with the apple hda patcher and the kext from the backup with the osx tools, but the main problem is the resolution of the screen, only let me choice 1024 x 768, but something "strange" happen with the video, it seems the performance is better and faster; i make a test with the backup of the gma kext but scrub the QE, i had to reinstall the combo update, any ideas to fix the resolution?

Sorry for my bad english.

I finally got Snow Leopard going! I was trying to follow the guide that Gregg posted above and was having trouble (probably was missing a step). On a whim I tried out the "MyHack" installer package at http://osx86.sojugarden.com/installer/ and I'm able to boot without any problems! I haven't gotten sound or sleep working, but everything else is peachy. I'll post more details on what settings in the MyHack installer I'm using.

I finally got Snow Leopard going! I was trying to follow the guide that Gregg posted above and was having trouble (probably was missing a step). On a whim I tried out the "MyHack" installer package at http://osx86.sojugarden.com/installer/ and I'm able to boot without any problems! I haven't gotten sound or sleep working, but everything else is peachy. I'll post more details on what settings in the MyHack installer I'm using.

I'd almost given up getting SL working on this MB and now we have a couple of good installs. That's great! Yesterday I blew up my SL trying one more time to use Migration Assistant (MA). MA worked for "Users" and "Other Documents and Files" but after perfoming an "Applications" transfer, SL had a fit and wouldn't restart. I must have an application that's doesn't like SL. I never did try the "Settings" migration.

Did you use the Vanilla or Chocolate kernel option described on MyHack? I'd like to keep things Vanilla if at all possible and if you've had sucess there, I'd try MyHack to get mine back up and running.

I'd almost given up getting SL working on this MB and now we have a couple of good installs. That's great! Yesterday I blew up my SL trying one more time to use Migration Assistant (MA). MA worked for "Users" and "Other Documents and Files" but after perfoming an "Applications" transfer, SL had a fit and wouldn't restart. I must have an application that's doesn't like SL. I never did try the "Settings" migration.

Did you use the Vanilla or Chocolate kernel option described on MyHack? I'd like to keep things Vanilla if at all possible and if you've had sucess there, I'd try MyHack to get mine back up and running.

For those interested in Snow Leopard, gtemkin and I are discussing our successful installs in a separate thread within the Snow Leopard Install forum. The new thread he has started specifically for Snow Leopard is here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1317764

• 3 weeks later...
Cool - keep us posted. Maybe we can finally get sleep to work with this mobo...

I think I finally after over a year running this board (ECS 945GCT-M 1333 v3) got sleep working!!! I'm running OS X 10.5.8 retail install boot 132 method. And the trick at least for me to get it working was actually hardware issue. On the motherboard near the blk/yellow 4 pin plug there's a jumper settings labeled USBPWR. I moved it from the default setting. I just moved it over one. Similar to clearing CMOS. Then I booted up waited for desktop to load and then selected sleep from the apple menu. It went to sleep, fans off cpu and drives all powered down. Then I waited 10-15 seconds of complete nothingness and hit the space bar. Within a few seconds the desktop and everything powered back up just like a real mac! Hopefully this is the final cure. ***NOT tried in Snow Leopard*** Please post back if this solved it for you as well.

Please post back if this solved it for you as well.
As I posted in the SL M/1333 forum, this worked for me - I'm running 10.5.6 retail install.

Although manual sleep worked repeatably and flawlessly, I could not get the sleep timer (using the slider in Energy Saver Sys Prefs) to work. The display sleeps, but not the mobo. Oh well, at this point, I'll take it - sleep timer sometimes even has problems working on Apple hardware!

Thanks again for posting your discovery!

• 1 month later...

Uggh... updating to 10.5.8 broke sleep. Finally had to use the DSDT method: first, I put the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext back into /Extensions. Then, I grabbed the DSDTPatcherGUI from the PCWiz website. Ran the DSDTPatcher (selected newHPET and Apply) and then ran the Bootloader installer (in Tools folder from Patcher download). DSDT patcher placed dsdt.aml in my root directory. Rebooted, and sleep works again!

• 1 month later...

Mmmm... This forum is getting old! Just have a few questions using Kalyway 10.5.2. Whenever i get to the customize menu, what am i supposed to check off. I've gotten OSX running before, but i just got a C2D and a new video card (8400GS). This is killing me! I can almost get it to boot, but like the guy on page one, it just stops after loading "Loading Mac Framework". I screwed with the Bios, and nothing. Much help appreciated!

Ok Guys, i fixed it. I had the 2007 Bios. If you want to get one of the Newer Core 2 Duo processors to work (mine was a 2.93GHz), you need to install the custom bios mentioned earlier. Unfortunately, just to get it on your comp, you must be running xp to install it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'd like to share a bootCD that I've made few days ago. It worked fine for me in my ECS 945GCT-M2 and should works also in other boards.

What's included:

Kexts:

fakesmc.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

IOATAFamily.kext -- patched for IDE (Tip: Use only SATA devices and disable IDE in BIOS)

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

Kernels:

default is mach_kernel from retail DVD

Or type one above:

vanilla -- 10.6.2

chocolate -- 10.6

1062 -- patched for Atom

Graphics Injection=Yes

Verbose=Yes

arch=i386

DSDT.aml from ECS 945***** for GMA 950 Graphics

http://www.mediafire.com/?jtwmt4xgzz1

I hope it can help anyone :hysterical:

Sorry for bad english

• 9 years later...
On 3/2/2008 at 6:05 PM, widowmaker007 said:

Like a bunch of you, I got the 945GCT-M/1333 v3.0 on sale at Fry's, combo'd with a c2d e4500 CPU for $129... couldn't resist at that price!

Running 2GB ram, 500GB SATA HD, and SATA DVD Burner.

GeFORCE 7600 GS 512 MB Card, which I had to patch the ROM on to get the bootloader to recognize all 512MB. After that, OS X recognized the card, and I could install with drivers from the Kalyway CD and have everything OK.

Still can't get sound going, and I even booted to Knoppix to pull my own codec dump from the sound card. Ran that through the AppleHDAPatcherv1.20, but still no joy in mudville... Sound shows up, but when I look at it, it only shows internal speaker and SPDIF as outputs. Neither one gets any output. I've tried all 3 jacks on the back of the motherboard. :)

Second strange problem I have, is that after installing 10.5.2 with drivers installed (NVInject off the Kalyway DVD, or the latest NVInject off their website), I get the apple boot screen, then everything goes black and my monitor reports no input. This lasts for 2 minutes before the monitor comes back to life and the desktop is displayed. Before patching my ROM on the card, I couldn't get 512MB or QE/CI. Those both work now, but I have this strange delay with no video.... A small price to pay considering that everything else is working very nicely...

I'm not entirely comfortable with how all this works.... It's been a long time since I had to think this hard to make a computer work... but I'm beginning to get a better feel as to how everything works. I'm certainly willing to try things if anyone has any ideas about my video hiccup or more ideas on the sound...

In general, I'm really happy with the performance. I've been tweaking all weekend, so I haven't put it through the paces too much, but when I have tried running different things it's been happy, happy!

OK. I know this post is really old, but...

I too have the 512 7600 GS card. But Can't get OSX to see anymore than 256. How were you able to get the other 256Mb of memory recognized?

I'd really be grateful if you (or anyone) could share how to accomplish this sort of thing.

Thanks!

--Chris