(mostly) successful Leopard install on ECS 945GCT-M/1333

ducman

341 posts in this topic

See my post #8. Installing from PATA dvd drive to SATA hard drive definitely works. If you've fooled around with your BIOS, try resetting to defaults.

Good call ducman, i set bios to default, fiddled with the mem for vid card and wow i was totally in shock, osx loaded up, crisp clean osx leopard video, did the registration bit and im posting this from osx. I did the patch thing so now my sound works too!!!!

so off the bat:

ethernet works

quartz and core image

standby

shutdown

restart

even xbenched @175

only prob now is resolution, i dont have an option for 1920x1200. its a 24inch display so i wanna be able to utilize every last pixel. at present ive got it running at 1600x1200

it does give me an option for 1920x1440, but then my monitor reports no signal.

also out of curiosity. im not to familiar witht this board but is there a way to increase the vid ram past 64megs?

\\\

secondly what would be the easiest means to go about duplicating this install and putting it on 3 other carbon copy systems? can i just image the HD and then copy image on the other disks? also regarding dualbooting, i want to skip that and run parallels , i mean basically using the osx as a solid reliable primary daily system>/?plz advise. thx again

"UPDATE"

ok i got the resolution to set at 1920x1200. however the other questions are still on the table . ducman seeing your success with this particular hardware, shine some insight plz.

what would be the easiest means to go about duplicating this install and putting it on 3 other carbon copy systems? can i just image the HD and then copy image on the other disks?

I have successfully upgraded the hard drive in my hack by copying one SATA disk to a larger SATA disk. I put the second drive in the machine, formatted it the same type as the original disk, and then used "ditto" ("man ditto" on the command line) to copy everything in the main HFS+ partition to the main HFS+ partition on the second disk. I then used pc_efi_v8 to make the second disk bootable. After rebooting and using the bios to boot to the new hard drive to make sure everything worked, I just removed the smaller disk and was done. If you're moving to identical hardware, you could use this method. If the hardware isn't identical, I don't know what might happen.

also regarding dualbooting, i want to skip that and run parallels , i mean basically using the osx as a solid reliable primary daily system>/?plz advise. thx again

Both paralles and vmware work fine. I've only run XP as a virtual machine, but it works, and performance is fine for work stuff. (I'm not a gamer.)

I have both configurations of this MB - v1 and v3, 2gb RAM, evga NVIDIA 7200 graphics card and 160gb SATA

I can install and it says install is successful, but all that happens after that is an endless loop of boot and reboot

Is this fixable?

(Kalyway 10.51 with efi, GUID and/or MBR.... )

I have found it hard to follow some of the instructions in this thread...is there an easier way of explaining what to do?

I installed 10.5.2 on two computers with somewhat mixed results. On the 945GCT-M(v3.0)/1333 and a GeForce 7600GS with NVInject and a Pentium E2200 installed with Devin's instructions no problem.

On another 945GCT-M (v1.0) with GMA950 and Celeron 430, it installed fine, but I'm having issues with the monitor not being recognized correctly so I'm stuck on 1024x768.. although the GMA950 loaded fine with CI/QE.

Also, all I needed to do was replace AppleHDA, AppleACPI, and AppleSMBIOS after install.

Edit: After a 2nd try on the 945GCT-M (v1.0), it recognized the monitor so perhaps I did something by mistake the first time.

Edit2: Ok.. I figured it out.. it is the Graphics update that killed my monitor recognition.

I have an install running kalyway 10.5.1 on ECS 945gct-m/1333 v3 from frys with 6550 cpu combo. The above sound patch 92H202 gives me the control panel, but only internal speaker and digital out. nothing from mic jack. I do have an ULTRA front panel with SPDIF connected to the f_audio on the motherboard. I don't have a sound device with SPDIF in to test if sound is coming through. I also do not remember if I checked vanilla and EFI on this instal. I installed several times trying to get a dual boot with mandriva before I realized it was not worth the time. So I think now that this install is the default patched kernel and so it is either the front panel or not having the vanilla kernel that is keeping the sound from working. I just ordered an M-audio revolution 7.1 in the hope this will save any more time messing with install since I already started installing applications.

THANKS for all the contributions!!

AM

i've got kalyway 10.5.1 running on this board with the following specs:

Pentium D 805

ECS 945GCT-M/1333

2GB DDR2 533

200 GB Maxtor HD

Lite-on DVD+-RW DL

M-Audio Fast Track USB Audio Interface

Buffalo Broadcom 802.11g PCI card

20" Acer LCD @ 1680x1050

tried the install with vanilla kernel and it was stuck in an infinite loop of rebooting while loading the kernel at boot, installed without vanilla, booted right up, no problems, everything worked fine for me. however, i don't use the on-board sound, so i can't verify if that works or not. the Broadcom wireless card worked right out of the box.

only issue i have is some weird artifacting with the mouse pointer at 1680x1050...could be because it's hooked up via PS/2

with the exception of not being vanilla, i couldn't be happier.

ran Xbench with a bunch of stuff running as well and still benched at 95.7

I have the ECS 945GCT-M/1333 running GREAT on 10.5.2, but....

I never got sleep to fully work, it sleeps and then wakes up instantly... any ideas?

M

I'm having the same issue with sleep. in fact mine is a bit more bizarre. Sometimes when i put it to sleep it wakes up instantly, and other times when it goes to sleep, theres no way i can wake it up. mouse/keyboard/powerbutton nada. I've gotta kill the power and then start from bios again.

Another thing that I've noticed. sometimes for apparently no reason osx starts up with 1600x1200 resolution, instead of the 1920x1200. when i go to display preferences to change it, i dont have any option for 1920x1200, nor 1680x1050. i get these odd resolutions like 1920x1440, and if i choose that my screen goes blank and defaults back to 1600x1200 after 15 seconds.

If i can get these two problems worked out I'm gonna be VERY satisfied. I've run xbench and i got a score of 174. Quite impressive. I know if this board was OC'able by even a bit, i'd break the 200 mark.

Also and lastly, is there ANY graphics card that is as compatible as the the onboard GMA950. I get QUARTZ EXTREME and CORE IMAGE with the 950. but im afraid that if i install final cut or something and want to do some editing it might not be able to handle it. When im browsing stuff in Coverflow, it also takes a moment or two for the image/doc/etc to sharpen. could this be because of the graphics card? I also tried increasing the shared mem for the graphic card to 128megs, but System Profiler still shows it as 64megs. dunno about that.

as far as the dude whos stuck in endless loops. i was there myself a week ago. try going into bios and where u have the video controls there are 3 settings i believe. i'm not by the comp at the moment but as soon as i changed it to "fixed" something, osx booted up right after i restarted.

I'm running parallels on this rig and damn its impressive. The comp is still so responsive with both OS' even though the chip doesnt have virtulization, it still damn smooth. on saturday i'll be back home and run some sandra benchmarks to see how it performs in virtualization.

does anyone else get an error when trying to select Boot Camp from System Preferences. I get some kind of something isnt installed error.

I hope my weeks of struggling can benefit someone else. but as i mentioned there are still a few things I'd like to get resolved.

Lastly does anyone know if the intel speed step {censored} to reduce clock and voltage and energy usage works under OSX????

I used my watt meter and with a 600 watt coolmaster, e2200, and maxtor sata hd, the total system draw flucates between 55-60watts in idle. I'll pay attention to it during a benchmark to see what loaded draw is.

I'm big on saving elec, so the standby and speed step would be of great interest if anyone has solved it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got OSX 10.5.1 working on the same board and processor (although I think mine's an E2160) and I'm having huge heat problems. Time machine, sound, and even wi-fi via a hawking USB chip I bought all work perfectly. However, heat is reported at 97C or more sometimes, and the system constantly crashes and gives the "You have to restart your computer" kernel error. It's very erratic and sometimes doesn't happen for hours, but it is very annoying and is making the computer nearly unusable.

Temps in XP and BIOS are 40C to 50C at the most, and I do not smell burning.

I tried installing about 10-12 times using the iATKOS 1.0_r2 DVD and was stuck with either a blinking cursor or unable to find com.apple.boot.plist not found error. I tried several USB disks and thumb drives to load the PC_EFIv8 scripts but the furthest I could get with the iATKOS DVD installer is it would see the USB device but was unmountable, and never automounted.

As much as I would like to have OS X as my file server with ZFS, I don't think it's worth this much hassle and risk losing my data.

i've gone back to OpenSolaris build 82 developer edition with the latest ZFS support. my 2TB of storage is safe there. :)

One odd thing i've noticed is that the BIOS detects the 4GB of RAM installed, but no OS I load (iATKOS installer, Ubuntu 7.10, Solaris 10 update 4, or Open solaris bv82) will see more than 3.3GB. This is on the ECS 945GCT-M/1333 v3.0 with an Intel E4500 dual core 2.2GHz cpu.

i'll revist this once more progress is made on OS X server or 10.5.2/3.

I've got OSX 10.5.1 working on the same board and processor (although I think mine's an E2160) and I'm having huge heat problems. Time machine, sound, and even wi-fi via a hawking USB chip I bought all work perfectly. However, heat is reported at 97C or more sometimes, and the system constantly crashes and gives the "You have to restart your computer" kernel error. It's very erratic and sometimes doesn't happen for hours, but it is very annoying and is making the computer nearly unusable.Temps in XP and BIOS are 40C to 50C at the most, and I do not smell burning.
Wow.. that is really high.. I think mine stays around 40C in both Windows and OSX. Perhaps try reinstalling again?
I tried installing about 10-12 times using the iATKOS 1.0_r2 DVD and was stuck with either a blinking cursor or unable to find com.apple.boot.plist not found error. I tried several USB disks and thumb drives to load the PC_EFIv8 scripts but the furthest I could get with the iATKOS DVD installer is it would see the USB device but was unmountable, and never automounted.As much as I would like to have OS X as my file server with ZFS, I don't think it's worth this much hassle and risk losing my data.i've gone back to OpenSolaris build 82 developer edition with the latest ZFS support. my 2TB of storage is safe there. :)One odd thing i've noticed is that the BIOS detects the 4GB of RAM installed, but no OS I load (iATKOS installer, Ubuntu 7.10, Solaris 10 update 4, or Open solaris bv82) will see more than 3.3GB. This is on the ECS 945GCT-M/1333 v3.0 with an Intel E4500 dual core 2.2GHz cpu.i'll revist this once more progress is made on OS X server or 10.5.2/3.
Use the kalyway DVD, we all did and it installs pretty much itself with just needing to select a few custom options.You will only see 3.3GB of RAM on 32-bit OS's since that is all that can be addressed on 32-bits. OS X is 64-bit so it can go up higher.

I had a bit of trouble booting things up, at first. The DVD booted after I tweaked my BIOS settings based on this link: http://netkas.org/?page_id=26

ducman,

I entered the post you mentioned to tweak the BIOS, but there is no information there about that subject, they talk about EFI. Would you be so kind to publish how you tweaked your BIOS, please!!!

I don´t need pictures, just text, please.

I have done the kalyway install several times now. I md5sum'd the .iso image I acquired and it matches the md5 in the kaly post.

Followed the instructions in the first post. First tried pure install with vanilla kernel+sse2+audio driver. I see the boot loaded for a sec, let it boot, get a quick flash on the screen and then a reboot.

booted from the kalyway DVD again, this time unmounted the SATA drive(umount /Volumes/Leopard as I named the volume Leopard and formatted the disk GUID) ran the EFI v8 startupfiletool and dd'd the boot* files. Here is the exact syntax I used.

cd /Volumes/
umount /Volumes/Leopard
cd USBKey/EFIPack
./startupfiletook /dev/rdisk0s2 ./boot_v8
dd if=guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2 bs=512 count=1
dd if=guid/boot0 of=/dev/disk0 bs=400 count=1

rebooted and saw same behavior. Booted with CD in my PATA DVDROM drive and I Get the System config file '/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found.

Booting without the DVD and passing a -v to the bootloader and pressing Pause/Break before the system reboots the last thing I see is Loading HFS+ file: [mach_kernel] from 422d2f0. then the screen goes black and reboots.

tried re-installing again, this time running the EFI_v8 install before installing kalyway

, same options as before, vanilla+SSE2+azal whatever audio driver and I get the same behavior.

The only time i've seen anything different is getting the grey screen of death kernel panic after booting the Kaly DVD and running the postinstall.sh script that comes with the EFI_v8 pack zip. I modified the script so that the path variables defined matched the paths that exist on the system (e.i. /Volumes/Leopard=where the installed system exists, /Volumes/USB/EFIPack=where the leofiles exist on the USB key).

i'm not trying anything fancy with the system right now, its the ECS 945GCT-M/1333 v3.0 motherboard, Intel E4500, 4GB Patriot RAM and only 1 200GB SATA disk plugged in. BIOS has DX bit and CPUID disabled. i've also tried resetting the bios to defaults, no help.

Glad everyone else is able to get it installed, but i'm having {censored} for luck. any input that isn't "use the search function n00b"

is appreciated. i've been searching and ready for weeks now without any progress. system always just reboots or kicks back the com.apple.Boot.plist not found error.

looks like I had the BIOS settings wrong. the "Execute Disable Bit" was Disabled and needs to Enabled. I missinterpreted what i've read about this setting and what my BIOS was set to. bleh.

I booted with a -v and now all I see is "Package 0 didn't get an HPET". from searching it looks like I need to remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

After re-installing with GUID partition, Vanilla kernel, EFI_v8 install right before rebooting after install i'm posting from my h4ckint0sh. :) video is a bit weird(cursor ghosts in random places, mostly using firefox), no audio on the v3.0 board.

I installed the latest ZFS binaries from macosforge.org and it sees my zpool but it's a version 10 pool and macosforge ZFS is only up to version 8(same as solaris 10u4). i'll have to do some tinkering to get the data backed up to a regular filesystem then will fully test out ZFS on OSx86 Kalyway. :|

Like a bunch of you, I got the 945GCT-M/1333 v3.0 on sale at Fry's, combo'd with a c2d e4500 CPU for $129... couldn't resist at that price!

Running 2GB ram, 500GB SATA HD, and SATA DVD Burner.

GeFORCE 7600 GS 512 MB Card, which I had to patch the ROM on to get the bootloader to recognize all 512MB. After that, OS X recognized the card, and I could install with drivers from the Kalyway CD and have everything OK.

Still can't get sound going, and I even booted to Knoppix to pull my own codec dump from the sound card. Ran that through the AppleHDAPatcherv1.20, but still no joy in mudville... Sound shows up, but when I look at it, it only shows internal speaker and SPDIF as outputs. Neither one gets any output. I've tried all 3 jacks on the back of the motherboard. :)

Second strange problem I have, is that after installing 10.5.2 with drivers installed (NVInject off the Kalyway DVD, or the latest NVInject off their website), I get the apple boot screen, then everything goes black and my monitor reports no input. This lasts for 2 minutes before the monitor comes back to life and the desktop is displayed. Before patching my ROM on the card, I couldn't get 512MB or QE/CI. Those both work now, but I have this strange delay with no video.... A small price to pay considering that everything else is working very nicely...

I'm not entirely comfortable with how all this works.... It's been a long time since I had to think this hard to make a computer work... but I'm beginning to get a better feel as to how everything works. I'm certainly willing to try things if anyone has any ideas about my video hiccup or more ideas on the sound...

In general, I'm really happy with the performance. I've been tweaking all weekend, so I haven't put it through the paces too much, but when I have tried running different things it's been happy, happy!

i got this up and running in no time with kalyway. apparently so far it needs a usb mouse/keyboard and the on board audio didn't work without the above patch (thanks for the details they worked great)

before that i used the a m-audio usb device that worked just fine.

the thing i REALLY want to get up and running right now is wireless.

i have two different usb wireless adapters linksys wusb11 and a speedstream wireless adapter

if anyone knows how to get one of those working PLEASE let me know.

anyway what i did.

from fry's picked up the ecs 945gt-m w/ celeron 430 for $59.99

an open box pioneer sata dvd recorder after rebates will be about $25

2 gb ram about $50

and two random ide hard drives and an atx case i had lying around.

installed kalyway 10.5.1 success first time (efi selected)

ran above sigmatel audio patch

so far so good!

any ideas for keyboard/wifi would be awesome

otherwise thanks for all the posts and ideas

update: hmm randomly the mouse and keyboard now work.

@dismal33

I have used the iATKOS 1.01r2 to install 10.5.1 and everything works fine except audio, but there is a previous comment in this post where I show how to activate the audio, and I am using the standard PS/2 mouse and keyboard of my PC.

Right now I am trying to activate the EFI boot, since I have trying it with a MBR partition to dual boot with Windows XP, now I am letting the OSX alone in the hard disk.