(mostly) successful Leopard install on ECS 945GCT-M/1333

ducman

341 posts in this topic

hey all sorry haven't been here that much lately been out of the country.....well I've succeeded in getting 3 of these machines (all E2200s with the ecs 945gct ver 3 boards) running on leopard 10.5.2

I've recently got my hands on some 7200gt and 7300gt vid cards......how do I go about installing this card????

I imagine im going to have to do some sort of driver install .......anyone with experience doing this......I'm backing up one of the systems with SuperDuper at the moment in case I "f" it up i can just restore painlessly.....

I've recently got my hands on some 7200gt and 7300gt vid cards......how do I go about installing this card????
I have the xfx 7200 GS and is very compatible, works fine, and is compatible with QE and CI. I use the NVinstaller (http://scottdangel.com/blog/?page_id=20).
For all those that are saying that their setup is wroking "perfectly" can you confirm that you have SLEEP functioning correctly being able to WAKE is an important thing as part of that. I have ECS 945gct-M v1 which sleep does work under 10.5.1 and I have the ECS 945GCT-M 1333fsb board which will sleep but will not wake running 10.5.2 Does anyone have the latter board working with sleep. I'm using nvidia cards in both setups
When I installed the kaly 10.5.1 the sleep doesnt work, the cpu made a noise and and i had to reboot it, so i disabled the sleep mode after some minutes of inactivity. But with 10.5.3 I press sleep and then push the power button and works fine (with the keyboard doesnt wake up, only with CPU power buttom).

• 2 weeks later...

Just got done with my first hackintosh. Frys had a pretty good deal on the 945gct and a 6750 for $179. I installed the Kalyway 10.5.2 disc and everything worked with the exception of sound. I fumbled my way through the sound fix and somehow I got it to work (still not sure how I managed that). It took me 2 days to find a usb wifi that worked. I ended up with a Linksys wusb54gc and it works fairly well. I have to re-plug every time I restart but I can live with that. At this point I have a couple of questions that I hope someone has solved.

1. Is there any way to get other resolutions with the onboard video. 10x7 is better than nothing but using Photoshop is a chore.

2. Has anyone had success (without having to jump through a bunch of hoops) installing the Kalyway 10.5.3 update. I would still need to use the onboard graphics at this point.

Thanks for all the help. This thread has been invaluable. ;)

OK, sound is working but it is terrible. Is anyone else having this issue. I get a bunch of static. I am not familiar with the hardware so I don't know if this is a case of having bought a cheap MOBO or if my software is the issue. The patch gave me sound but the sound I have is below average at best. My ipod would be considered audiophile compared to this.

OK, sound is working but it is terrible. Is anyone else having this issue. I get a bunch of static. I am not familiar with the hardware so I don't know if this is a case of having bought a cheap MOBO or if my software is the issue. The patch gave me sound but the sound I have is below average at best. My ipod would be considered audiophile compared to this.

I've done this on three of the ecs 945 boards with the E2200s , and the sound is flawless.....give some more details as to the version and bios of the board u have........if nothing else......try swapping the board for another one (if you bought it from frys)........

all of you with "successful" install, have you tried reinstall using time machine backup? I tried, it seemed reinstalled from time-machine, but it can't boot. I tried to reinstall it on a drive with xp already in place.

thanks.

I've done this on three of the ecs 945 boards with the E2200s , and the sound is flawless.....give some more details as to the version and bios of the board u have........if nothing else......try swapping the board for another one (if you bought it from frys)........

I have a version 3.0 board and my bios is 11/07/07. It may just be a bad sound card but i wasn't sure if running off the mic input made any difference. I think I have concluded that the board is bad. It has to be, my sound is atrocious.

I'm a little behind the times, but I upgraded my ECS 945GCT-M/1333 from a kalyway 10.5.2 install to 10.5.3 using kalyway_10.5.3_ComboUpdate without any problems. Used Vanilla kernel option.

It seemed to leave all the modified kext files as modified. That was my biggest fear - didn't want to go through all those mods again. Then updated to 10.5.4 using software update without any problems.

oK here is from an ealier post asking for help but nobody will respond -

I just bought a new mb - ram - hd - dvd for a new tosh, I am pretty sure i am getting the old kernel panic fault -(black screen with all the text) I have tried both Kalyway 10.5.1 - 10.5.2 discs and Leo4all Shanu edtion. The 10.5.1 Kaly goes farther then any of the other discs but soon reboots, Basically the 10.5.2 will do a constant reboot, if i try options like -v the 10.5.2 goes for awhile then reboots the puter.

Any tips - I have successfully loaded the 10.5.2 on another p4 computer but it's slower! that's why i built this new one rolleyes.gif

I have searched the forum for my mb etc and others have successfully installed the same board etc.

Here are my specs.

MB 945GCT-M/1333

PROC INTEL CORE2DUO E4600 800MHZ

HD - SEAGATE SATA 16MB 250G

DVD - SONY 16X SATA

Ok I am getting closer with this - I dl iATKOS V2 - and now it will boot to the apple spinning logo - but it will stay just spining and there will be no DVD or hd activity, So i hit the reset button and did a F8 with a -v and it gives me the following error.

using 10485 buffer header and 4096 cluster io buffer headers extension "com.apple.driver.acpi_smc_platformplugin" has immediate dependices on both comapple.kernal and com.apple.kpi componets; use only one style. :D

WTF does that mean? I did some searching but really am confused which way to go.

Thanks for your time. B)

AJ

hey guys i could sure use some help if possible. so i have an ecs 945gct-m/1333 with an e6600 also a sata dvdrw and sata 320gb hard drive. my prolblem is im using the iatkos installer v1 and after it goes through and installs it restarts after taking out the cd it sits at a blinking cursor. im new to this but ive read several of the tutorials and im just not sure where to go with this. am i missin a step?

For those having problems with sleep: in the bios under power settings is an option to run video bios on resume. Enabling this fixed the black screen on resume for me, and now sleep works, altho it takes maybe 45 seconds to resume. This is on a version 1 board with a 8400gs card using EFI strings.

all of you with "successful" install, have you tried reinstall using time machine backup? I tried, it seemed reinstalled from time-machine, but it can't boot. I tried to reinstall it on a drive with xp already in place.

thanks.

With the time machine restore, you will still need to install the EFI Patch. Generally thats what gets lost in the translation, as Time machine doesnt copy the EFI bootloader

Picked this board off eBay, installed multiple times and eventually learned from my mistake and got into Leopard. Fixed the sound (hats off to ktheurer). Now all thats left is the resolution. At the moment I'm using the onboard GMA950. I've looked in all the wrong places and found nothing on forcing the display past 1024x768. How did you guys do it with the onboard? I'd rather fix that for the timebeing, as I don't have the resources to invest in a new card. Thanks very much for the thread, as I would've been stuck on the sound issue and not getting into Leopard.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I have kalyway 10.5.3 installed updated from 10.5.1, in a E4600 Core 2 Duo and the CPU test gives me 150 in xBench.

Yesterday i recommend this motherboard to a friend with a E8400 C2D at 3.0GHZ, i installed 10.5.1 and 10.5.2 kalyway amd the results of CPU test is 135.

Why this difference? The BIOS setup is the same.

Thanks.

I decided to make this build today with the special at Fry's. I didn't want to use Kalyway so I used iatkos 4.1. I installed the sound driver as well as the older kext for video resolutions to be good with QE. Works nice I am happy I don't have to use osx so slow as it was on my laptop. Thanks everyone for your post!

• 2 weeks later...

soooo I'm having decent luck with this board! running JaS 10.5.4 with vanilla kernel!

Ethernet is supported out of the box for me on JaS 10.5.4 with RTL8169 drivers.

as the original poster said, make sure you set your BIOS settings properly. in particular, disable CPUID limit, enable XD bit, disable SpeedStep, disable APIC mode, and enable HPET.

Used ktheurer's download to get the sound working! works fine, needs to be plugged into microphone jack though.

No experience with the integrated video, since I'm using a PCI-E videocard. working well so far though!

I fooled around with a lot of distros before installing JaS 10.5.4 and had problems with it freezing on "Using 10485 buffer headers...." I never really found a solution; eventually when I installed 10.5.4 it just ended up working great. but there's a few solutions that should work at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=78235

having issue where only 1 core is recognized on my dual-core chip, but I can let that go for now.

Has anyone got this board to work with the 2/18/08 bios?

m

yes, see my post a couple of posts back; my board has the 2/18/08 BIOS. I don't know if the issues I had (ie issues with booting, 1 core detected, etc) are related to the BIOS that I have, but mine works decently. For the most part I need to use the 2/18/08 BIOS because my build has a Wolfdale chip, meaning that I'll get an error on bootup and the chip probably won't run so well if I run the older BIOS.

Scooty,

Thanks for the response. I still can't get it to work. I tried all of the BIOS settings that you posted and I keep getting stuck at "using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers". I see that you ran into this as well. Perhaps you need a wolfdale chip to get this working? I'd love to get this working so I can purchase an e8400, but I think I will stick with the old bios as it works fantastically with the retail DVD install and BOOT-132.

M

yes, see my post a couple of posts back; my board has the 2/18/08 BIOS. I don't know if the issues I had (ie issues with booting, 1 core detected, etc) are related to the BIOS that I have, but mine works decently. For the most part I need to use the 2/18/08 BIOS because my build has a Wolfdale chip, meaning that I'll get an error on bootup and the chip probably won't run so well if I run the older BIOS.

I also have 2 Hackintosh's running 2/18/08 BIOS... Here are the issues I experience

1) Shut down commonly hangs (fixed it by tweaking Bios but will not shut down or restart after sleep, so I disabled Sleep)

2) Only Shows Core 2 Solo, (geek bench registers 2 cores but bench marking is kind of poor)

Otherwise I get a small bit of Mouse artifact if using the GMA 950 with the onboard graphix but nothing bad.

I got a newer ECS 945 at Frys last week, took the drive straight from my system with boot issues and seems to run great... I will post pic's of the Bios settings if required.. just PM me.

HELP!!! I'm pulling my hair out (and that's tuff since I shave my head :thumbsup_anim:

I've got this board with Core Duo 2180 and i've installed Kalyway 10.5.2. Got the XD enabled and all installs, boots fine, but when I shutdown the computer and then hit the power button it won't POST. I have to reset/clear the CMOS to get it to POST again. This is really frustrating and I'm thinking it's a probloem with the board except if I'm just restarting from BIOS (without OSX booting) it restarts fine.

Anyone had this problem?

Please help! :)

Moon

HELP!!! I'm pulling my hair out (and that's tuff since I shave my head :)

I've got this board with Core Duo 2180 and i've installed Kalyway 10.5.2. Got the XD enabled and all installs, boots fine, but when I shutdown the computer and then hit the power button it won't POST. I have to reset/clear the CMOS to get it to POST again. This is really frustrating and I'm thinking it's a probloem with the board except if I'm just restarting from BIOS (without OSX booting) it restarts fine.

Anyone had this problem?

Please help! :)

Moon

What option did you check when you loaded Kalyway 10.5.2.. I had a similar error

So I reinstalled selecting only a few options, no thirds, only GMA950 no languages, and it came straight up... i have had ton's of issues with booting & shut down but I think most of it was BIOS setting related.

any BIOS over 11/07/07 should be pretty good straight out of the box.