MacWorld: Steve's Keynote

Numberzz

161 posts in this topic

Cant watch on hacintosh :(

it plays fine on PowerBook.

Hmm. Plays fine on my Hackintosh.

As to people talking about the specs, or "for just a little more you could get a Macbook Pro" - again guys, this is a sub-notebook. It's not built for performance. They got "decent" specs in it, but this thing's selling point is size and size alone. If you paid the little more for the Macbook Pro you'd lose the main thing making the Macbook Air what it is :).

Kinda like saying "$20000 for a pickup truck? For just a little more I could buy a sports car!". Yep, I'm sure the sports car has better specs and will run much faster - but if you're looking to tow a boat then it's not the right choice :).

First of all MND was only PC to PC, and secondly it was for networks (hence the name Map NETWORK drive) and thirdly it was not wireless, but you keep dreaming :(

This should work for Time Capsule too, since it is a drive over the network :)

As to people talking about the specs, or "for just a little more you could get a Macbook Pro" - again guys, this is a sub-notebook. It's not built for performance. They got "decent" specs in it, but this thing's selling point is size and size alone. If you paid the little more for the Macbook Pro you'd lose the main thing making the Macbook Air what it is :D.

Kinda like saying "$20000 for a pickup truck? For just a little more I could buy a sports car!". Yep, I'm sure the sports car has better specs and will run much faster - but if you're looking to tow a boat then it's not the right choice :).

Good points Neilis. Comparing the MB Air with other notebooks is kind of stupid as that is NOT its market. As for not having Firewire well there again, this was designed from the ground up to be a WIRELESS notebook, hence why they called it MB Air. If you want something that is heavier and bulkier and wears the battery down quicker, etc... then you wouldn't want this, you'd want one of the other notebooks on the market. The price will drop, and the specs will go higher in time. This was just an introduction to the model.

No one is forcing you to buy the MBAir, it's simply another OPTION from which to choose from. They have the standard laptop models, the performance laptop models, and NOW they also have a model that concentrates on being easier to take around with you, lighter, longer battery life, thinner form factor, etc. It's the best sub-notebook on the market, and if you want to be one of the first to be seen with one then you will have to pay the price. I will get one BUT I will wait for the next model, which will probably cost a little less and be a little faster. If I can get Leopard on a Asus EEE then I will get that instead but I think Tiger is all it will handle, so the MB Air will be perfect. It's good they are expanding their lineup. For those who don't want to lug around the standard boat anchor this is a good option.

As for not having Firewire well there again, this was designed from the ground up to be a WIRELESS notebook, hence why they called it MB Air.

So the Macbook Air is only meant for people who already own a computer then? In my opinion its ridiculous to not include firewire, a lot of camcorders and such use it. Also, what about all the people that bought firewire drives for time machine? They have to buy a Time Capsule now?

Anyone see any specs on the video card for the macbook air, Apple site doesn't relate the Graphics Card ??? hmmm...

Just look in the tech specs under "Graphics and video support": Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory

So the Macbook Air is only meant for people who already own a computer then?

It's designed for people who don't want to lug around the standard laptop. The key ingredient of any laptop is its portability. This takes portability to the next level. As time goes on it will be just as fast as any other laptop, but for its first showing it's not bad and holds its own.

In my opinion its ridiculous to not include firewire, a lot of camcorders and such use it.

I agree but I have a sneaky suspicion that by years end all Mac laptops will support FireWire S3200. In the weeks to come I'm sure that many people will be asking the same question that we are, and it will be interesting to see what Apples reasoning is. After all, even the Mac mini comes with Firewire, and Firewire is Apples baby so you'd think they'd want to include it in as many products as possible. There may be something about the MBAir that we're missing, so until they respond I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

The Air has iLife '08... but what is their reasoning on how you're supposed to use iMovie, GarageBand, or iDVD? ;)

Note to Steve.... No offense but I think we'll will wait for MB Air 2.0 (and please add a replaceable battery to it. It's a laptop, not an oversized iPod) :angel:

Why do you answer questions with another question?

Because if no one is forcing them then why are they whining? Just because maybe they want it for free? ;) This company decided to charge for this product. As a consumer you can make a decision too, to either pay them for it, or not. Either way whining's not going to help, but then you already knew that didn't you?

Because I am a technophile and I like my stuff up-to date and armed to the teeth with all the goodies?

Besides, it's a 0.0.1 incremental, so I don't get how they can justify charging $20 for it, when the last one was completely free and all new ones from the factory ship with it pre-loaded and for the same price when you buy it as the one's before it...

yeah its a total ripoff, to charge consumers 20.00 to get the apps the ipod touch shouda came with to begin with, and it its even more ridiculous that the people that buy one after today, we'll have the stuff for free. I mean it didn't cost apple anything to make these apps available for the ipod touch, the untouched iphone apps already work on the ipod touch, oh well I guess thats why my ipod is jailbroken, but I would like to have the rearranging wiggle icons, :(

Because I am a technophile and I like my stuff up-to date and armed to the teeth with all the goodies?

I understand, so am I, and so are lots of other people, but if they have to pay for it, then everyone should go by the same rules. Besides, it's only 20 bucks. If it were 50 or 75 I could see, but 20's not that bad considering all it adds. The maps alone is worth the 20.00, and it adds the convenience of e-mail on top of that...

it's a 0.0.1 incremental

That's one way to look at it. The other is that you're getting 5 extra apps and lots more cool functionality that the technophile part of you is addicted to :(

I've never really cared about getting an iPod, but now I might just get the iPod Touch. Some of those apps are pretty cool.

I've been reading a few forums about the MBA, and the only argument anyone has in favor of it is something along the lines of "but this is an ultra portable machine, it's not meant to do so and so, or it's made to supplement another computer"

I'm tired of hearing the same weak argument, the facts are that it is:

- Same dimentions as the MB, aside from thickness, but who really cares about thickness? That is entirely asthetic and doesn't really make it any more "portable". I've never found myself in a situation where I wanted to bring my laptop but it was just 1/4" too thick so I was screwed...portability is in the width and depth

- Weight...it's 2lbs less...get over it or go to the gym

- Slower, has no optical drive, has 1 USB, no FW, and a worse display

- The SSD (which is the only thing that makes it worth it) adds $1,000! That is completely ridiculous...at least give the option of adding an 8, 16, or 32GB SSD. For the 3g's that'll set you back you could buy

- MB and 30" Cinema Display

- MB and 52" 1080i LCD TV

- MBP, Apple TV, iPhone, 16BG IPod Touch, Time Capsule

- Countless other combos of way more useful things

Just get an eeePC and thumbdrive and save yourself $2,200

There is not one reason why this could be considered a good investment.

Maxintosh: You aren't seeing my point. Anyone who purchases a new iPod touch with 1.1.3 will pay the same price anyone who bought one when they came out and get all the new stuff for free. An 8GB iPod touch still only cost's $299+tax, and will come loaded with 1.1.3 and the new stuff. So why should I essentially pay more for my older iPod touch for the same stuff? The end price for me will be $319 to have the same as someone who pays $299 now with 1.1.3.

Get it?

Because if no one is forcing them then why are they whining? Just because maybe they want it for free? ;) This company decided to charge for this product. As a consumer you can make a decision too, to either pay them for it, or not. Either way whining's not going to help, but then you already knew that didn't you?

Actually, whining does help.

Remember the $200 price drop for the iPhone back in September?

What I am very curious about, is how the 'multitouch' touchpad functionality works, and how soon we will see this on our Macbooks. (and maybe hackbooks and wacom tablets).

Leopard has included the technology that makes multitouch responsive and fun, the rapid compositing engine of core animation. It is currently used in the iPhone, and for the smooth zooming in Preview, iPhoto and Quick Look. But how cool would it be do dynamically zoom, scale, rotate and crop images with two fingers? And be used in other apps too...

I'm hoping for 10.5.2 to include this....