MacWorld: Steve's Keynote

Numberzz

161 posts in this topic

I'm really upset that there is no update of the MBP :(

But perhaps it will come somewhat later as Jobs didn't want to spoil the MBA introduction...?

From my point of view this keynote was boring, nothing really special.

i think it's cool if apple start making the notebook thinner,

and next time they may make it smaller...

air is quite capable of editing photos, and even movies,

can't say if it can play 1080p smoothly, but the native

resolution won't need it whatsoever.

SSD is expensive since it's still a new tech,

a new tech is always expensive as everyone expects ...

so people, you can't compare with a eee that only got less than 4G(my asus...)

it will be a new page of mac book as we're all looking forward to the mac book Air Pro :D

i think it's cool if apple start making the notebook thinner,

and next time they may make it smaller...

air is quite capable of editing photos, and even movies,

can't say if it can play 1080p smoothly, but the native

resolution won't need it whatsoever.

SSD is expensive since it's still a new tech,

a new tech is always expensive as everyone expects ...

so people, you can't compare with a eee that only got less than 4G(my asus...)

it will be a new page of mac book as we're all looking forward to the mac book Air Pro :D

X3100 is a high-def chip, but hasn't been optimized for Mac, so we'll see...

Re the MacBook Air video. Oops, I accidentally rotated el presidente's head during a presentation and will now be decapitated. Not sure about those gestures. You can get a similar Ooh-ah out of a PC user by showing them how to use shortcuts. It is a lovely wee beast, though, isn't it? :D

As for the cynics, who can blame them? I want in on that party crowd! Let's see. I can buy one...two..three laptops... with similar specs... with bigger screens... for the same price as one MacBook Air - and I get three free DVD writers! And I don't get mugged on public transport because it don't say Nike Air or Macbook Air. Plus I get semi decent keyboards.

Seriously, hands up who doesn't use CD/DVD on a daily basis. A client or a friend hands you a DVD, where are you going to stick it in your moment of embarrassment - do you really want to carry around an extra box? Is that cool? Which costs HOW much?!

No firewire. What th- How much space would a firewire port have taken up? Remember all the hoo-hah, how we were encouraged to go for Firewire devices?

The MacBook Air is lovely and well done Apple but they seem to be moving ever further away from the student base. They needed to announce a price cut on the standard MacBooks and someone needs to file down the edge of the casing - it chafes against your palms.

Re the MacBook Air video. Oops, I accidentally rotated el presidente's head during a presentation and will now be decapitated. Not sure about those gestures. You can get a similar Ooh-ah out of a PC user by showing them how to use shortcuts. It is a lovely wee beast, though, isn't it? :D

As for the cynics, who can blame them? I want in on that party crowd! Let's see. I can buy one...two..three laptops... with similar specs... with bigger screens... for the same price as one MacBook Air - and I get three free DVD writers! And I don't get mugged on public transport because it don't say Nike Air or Macbook Air. Plus I get semi decent keyboards.

Seriously, hands up who doesn't use CD/DVD on a daily basis. A client or a friend hands you a DVD, where are you going to stick it in your moment of embarrassment - do you really want to carry around an extra box? Is that cool? Which costs HOW much?!

No firewire. What th- How much space would a firewire port have taken up? Remember all the hoo-hah, how we were encouraged to go for Firewire devices?

The MacBook Air is lovely and well done Apple but they seem to be moving ever further away from the student base. They needed to announce a price cut on the standard MacBooks and someone needs to file down the edge of the casing - it chafes against your palms.

they provide a usb drive, so cd/dvd shouldn't be a problem.. but it's kind of luxury !

The MBA is so crippled over a regular MB. Granted, it's thinner and lighter but will all the missing features it should have been priced the same as a MB. The fancy trackpad is not worth a $500+ premium. The free iLife was a good joke. "Here's some cool software but you can't use half of it until you buy a whole bunch of add-ons"

Apple needs a 15" MB. The 13" is too small to be taken seriously for business use and the MBP is too expensive to hand out to sales monkeys.

Anyone who purchases a new iPod touch with 1.1.3 will pay the same price anyone who bought one when they came out and get all the new stuff for free.
So then buy a new one. No one forced you to rush out to buy one when they first came out, that's the price you pay for being an early adopter of any new product. That was YOUR choice. Besides, no one is forcing you to buy the new apps. That, again, is YOUR choice. New products come out all the time with expanded usability at the same price. That's how they continue to sell these products. Many people bought the iPod Touch and have decided not to upgrade. You could do the same. Now if you bought your iPod a few weeks ago then I agree that there should be some 'grace period' where you should be given the upgrade, but you could always return it (exchange it) for the newer model under the price protection laws. If the iPod is older and past the grace period then that should tell you something, and explain why there is a minimal fee to upgrade the unit IF you decide to do so. You can't have your cake and eat it too. It's the wages one pays for being an early adopter of any new product.
why should I essentially pay more for my older iPod touch for the same stuff?
Because you've had the pleasure of using that unit all this time, which someone else just buying the unit now wouldn't have. It was YOUR choice to rush out and get one back then right? Take some responsibility for your own decisions. That's what happens in the technology field. Today’s iPod holds over 10 times as much music as the first one (and has added features), but costs around $50 less. Should people who bought the first iPods get expanded free memory and a 50.00 rebate? No, of course not! Prices of new products ALWAYS come down. Those same products will ALWAYS get new or improved features. Welcome to 2008 and the technology industry. Glad to see you're learning it comes with the territory of buying a new gadget. Most smart people follow one simple rule of thumb whenever ANY new product comes out: Don't buy it for the first 5-6 months because the price will drop, and/or the device will get added features. This is how the technology world works.
Actually, whining does help.
In the world of cell phones, drastic price cuts are quite the norm, especially for high end featured phones. When the MotoRAZR first came out it was a $400 phone, but within a few short months it was down to $249. By year's end the same RAZR phone was only $99. It happened again with the the Samsung BlackJack, its price was cut in half from $199 to $99 after only three short months! Did any of those companies offer refunds to their customers? NO! The fact that Apple values its customers more and offered them a rebate in this same situation should tell you something, but the lesson is not to be a crybaby.
Seriously, hands up who doesn't use CD/DVD on a daily basis.
I know many people that don't. For those that do there is always the option of getting the additional SuperDrive :(

Yeah I just noticed the iPhone update, my bad. The streaming of Macworld wasn't working when I tried earlier, but I finally saw it.

The MBA just seems like (IF I BOUGHT IT) I'd be paying more for a device that does less.. I mean, YES it is thin... ok? Just because its thinner means I have to pay MORE as oppose to a Macbook which can do more and is a little bit more thick? It's cool, that's for sure. NOT worth the hype in any way.

As for the iPod touch, I agree that $20 to get something that should be free and now everyone else who buys a touch will get it for free is lame. I could see if it didn't come on touch's, but if they're including it NOW, why charge the people who have already paid their money and didn't get it?

I guess my biggest disappointment was that I was hoping the MBA could do more for its price and I REALLY wanted a 10.5.2 update.

Umm.....so I'm still sitting here in the moscone center.......its kinda quiet. :(

............still waiting for the "one more thing".

........................Does anyone know when Steve is going to announce the mactouch?? ..................... :P ............................anyone?

they provide a usb drive, so cd/dvd shouldn't be a problem.. but it's kind of luxury !

Yeah, portability, less weight, less space are luxury.

The MBA is so crippled over a regular MB. Granted, it's thinner and lighter but will all the missing features it should have been priced the same as a MB. The fancy trackpad is not worth a $500+ premium. The free iLife was a good joke. "Here's some cool software but you can't use half of it until you buy a whole bunch of add-ons"

Apple needs a 15" MB. The 13" is too small to be taken seriously for business use and the MBP is too expensive to hand out to sales monkeys.

It is not crippled, is a differnet market, one that PowerBook 12" filled before.

The 12" was also with less features than the 15" and 17", and less power too, stop complaining.

Yeah, portability, less weight, less space are luxury.

It is not crippled, is a differnet market, one that PowerBook 12" filled before.

The 12" was also with less features than the 15" and 17", and less power too, stop complaining.

Adding the extra drive will add to the cost, decrease the portability, and increase the weight...I'd call that an inconvenience, not a luxury

Exactly what market are they trying to reach here?

The powerbook was smaller and didn't cost up to $3,000 (top model was $1,700), it also came with a superdrive and was just as fast and the MBA is now...that was in 2005...

Maxintosh: You're mixing things up. You reference hardware. I'm talking about software. iPhone user's get the update for free, and iPod touch user's need to pay for it? The newer devices ship with it preloaded, for the same price. They aren't giving us better hardware or any of that, it's mere software. And I am talking about end-price as well. I bought mine well after it first came out (I had v1.1.2 on mine when I purchased it), so no, I didn't "rush out" to buy one.

v1.1.1 & v1.1.2 preloaded = $299

v1.1.3 preloaded = $299

Upgrade from v1.1.2 to v1.1.3 = $20

So, $299+$20 = $319 for me to own the same overall hardware and software as a newer v1.1.3 iPod touch out of the box at $299? No. I cannot justify that at all.Especially when it's free for iPhone user's...

Maxintosh: You're mixing things up. You reference hardware. I'm talking about software.

Yeah Maxintosh, your example with the original iPod doesn't apply here at all. No matter how much Apple kool-aide you drink, it's inane for Apple to charge for the 1.1.3 update. I've had the iPhone apps for weeks via jailbreak so I this doesn't affect me anyway. I'm not upgrading to 1.1.3 until you can pirate it and jailbreak it :)

Yeah Maxintosh, your example with the original iPod doesn't apply here at all. No matter how much Apple kool-aide you drink, it's inane for Apple to charge for the 1.1.3 update. I've had the iPhone apps for weeks via jailbreak so I this doesn't affect me anyway. I'm not upgrading to 1.1.3 until you can pirate it and jailbreak it :)

I hope you brick your ipod touch...

I'm talking about software.

You're talking about a software update for HARDWARE. One that will greatly add more functionality to the device... you know, the HARDWARE device. Big difference.

iPhone user's get the update for free, and iPod touch user's need to pay for it?

Yes, and they paid for that privilege. How much more does it cost to buy an iPhone (with a contract) over a Touch? Would you have rather that Apple only applied this update to the NEW iPod Touch? Maybe Apple should have just not allowed previous iPod Touch owners to upgrade at all, and then there would be no 'upgrade' issue, but they didn't take that stance did they? Would you have rather Apple charged 10-20 per app (still a bargain) and having it end up costing 50-100.00 to upgrade? I doubt it. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth and be happy that they are only charging a measly 20.00 for all 5 apples... I mean apps :)

umm......pretty sure there is no such thing as software that runs without hardware, so thats pretty much a moot point

also there usually aren't upgrades (free or otherwise) that don't improve functionality in some way...so also a moot point

Everyone just needs to jailbreak and enjoy the apps from the iphone, its ridiculous for apple to charge 20.00 bucks, it didn't cost them anything to do this. Its pretty sad, when Microsoft, releases a new zune, and gives it wireless sync, new interface, more video support, and gives the early adopters with the original zune the ability to upgrade an get all the same features for free, but apple can't give the people that went out an payed 300.00 + , a free upgrade, that the people that pay 300.00 +, today get.

pretty sure there is no such thing as software that runs without hardware
Of course not, but this UPGRADE is DEDICATED to this one device make/model and is NOT a necessity. It is the manufactures prerogative on how that software/hardware gets treated, not yours.

it didn't cost them anything to do this.
So they just woke up one day and there is was just sitting there wrapped up in a blanket on their front porch? :( Of course it cost them resources, and again, no one is forcing anyone to buy anything. As far as the zune goes, well that is a sick puppy and if MS doesn't want it to turn into the latest version of the Edsel or Betamax then they NEED to kiss zune owners butts every way they can. Talk about moot points... :)

Of course not, but this UPGRADE is DEDICATED to this one device make/model and is NOT a necessity. It is the manufactures prerogative on how that software/hardware gets treated, not yours.

So they just woke up one day and there is was just sitting there wrapped up in a blanket on their front porch? :( Of course it cost them resources, and again, no one is forcing anyone to buy anything. As far as the zune goes, well that is a sick puppy and if MS doesn't want it to turn into the latest version of the Edsel or Betamax then they NEED to kiss zune owners butts every way they can. Talk about mute points... :)

i think they meant since the coding was already on the iphone and its the same os

but yeah, i agree, apple can do what they want, i mean it sucks and i think it should be free, but at the same time its not my call, and im sure they are just trying to re-coup some sort of development or server costs or something like that

Just saw this from Apple, regarding the MB Air battery. Replacement battery pricing is listed below. What a joke :( This is one of two reasons why I wouldn't buy one. The other is the lack of Firewire.

United States: $129

Canada: CA$159

Europe: £139 inc. VAT

Japan: ¥15,800

Asia Pacific: AU$199 inc. taxes

Don't forget, you have to add labor/installation onto that too ;)

Now if THAT'S not bad enough, check this out, when you send your MB Air in to get the battery replaced, you will most likely LOSE ALL OF YOUR DATA!

Apple has posted a page describing the out-of-warranty program, and noting the following:

Data preservation "Don't rely on it being preserved. Many repairs require Apple to replace or reformat the hard disk, which will result in the loss of your data."