CardBus/PCMCIA PC Cards for Leopard

~Eureka

1,073 posts in this topic

Hi tattootroy, RaZer0r, Mike Shappell, and sdonner,

Sorry for the late reply. I have been out of town last 2 weeks. I uploaded another IOPCMCIA kext for both Leopard and Tiger on mediafire.

http://www.mediafire.com/chunnan

Try it and let me know if it works. Thanks.

Chun-Nan

Hi Chun-Nan,

Had some doubts....

how is the above IOPCMCIA kext different from beta 3 release.

This kext actually has both IOPCIFamily and IOPCCardFamily kexts as plugins.

These two kexts i.e.- IOPCIFamily and IOPCCardFamily are also present in /Extensions directory.

Can we delete the original ones ?

also i found that if i use your IOPCMCIA kext i am able to use my integrated card reader but without this one,

the IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext gives link load error.

I finally think we got a solution to internal card reader problem,its still in beta.

The reason I pointed that out is beacause the IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext has a dependecy on IOPCIFamily.kext

But after using your IOPCMCIA and IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext simultaneously i get IOKIt timeout while booting.

It would be great if you could look at IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext

it is here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=38976

Here is the original driver:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/osxsdhci/

This driver is in alpha development.

Currently only SD cards work.

The thread for this discussion is here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...rt=#entry974837

Thanks in advance.

Hi Chun-Nan,

Had some doubts....

These two kexts i.e.- IOPCIFamily and IOPCCardFamily are also present in /Extensions directory.

also i found that if i use your IOPCMCIA kext i am able to use my integrated card reader but without this one,

I finally think we got a solution to internal card reader problem,its still in beta.

The reason I pointed that out is beacause the IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext has a dependecy on IOPCIFamily.kext

But after using your IOPCMCIA and IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext simultaneously i get IOKIt timeout while booting.

it is here:

Thanks in advance.

hi aliasa_anderson what laptop do you have and what is your cardreader make?

hi aliasa_anderson what laptop do you have and what is your cardreader make?

Its Ricoh.The complete details from lspci are:

07:05.1 SD Host controller [0805]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter [1180:0822] (rev 19)

07:05.2 System peripheral [0880]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller [1180:0843] (rev 0a)

07:05.3 System peripheral [0880]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter [1180:0592] (rev 05)

07:05.4 System peripheral [0880]: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller [1180:0852] (rev ff).

Actually i have HP laptop(dv6114tx) and it uses pci bus instaed of the USB interfaces used by Apple.

People with similar conf and with working card readers are on this discussion page for SD integrated card reader :

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...rt=#entry975166

Which one do you have ?

Hi Chun-Nan,

Had some doubts....

it is here:

Thanks in advance.

Exactly the same thing going on here: IOKit timeout issues when booting Leopard 10.5.5 (dependency problems): is it ok to just update the OS library bundles to match the correct versions?

Would it be possible that someone attaches a working 10.5.5 set of this kext bundle (IOPCI and IOPCCARD and...) so we no longer get the IOKit timing out?

Much appreciated :)

Hi Chun-Nan,

Had some doubts....

it is here:

Thanks in advance.

Hi aliasa_anderson,

The reason I put both IOPCIFamily and IOPCCardFamily inside the IOPCMCIAFamily's plugins Folder is to prevent them from being replaced while updating your system.

I set the versions of both IOPCIFamily and IOPCCardFamily (3.2.8) higher than the ones from the original ones (1.6.4 & 2.4.1) so that they will be loaded before the original ones. However, it will show the following messages under terminal but it will still work.

Replacing extension "com.apple.iokit.IOPCCardFamily" with newer version (1.6.4 -> 3.2.8).

Replacing extension "com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily" with newer version (2.4.1 -> 3.2.8).

Therefore, you can just leave the original ones in the Extensions folder in case that IOPCMICAFamily doesn't work and you can just remove the whole IOPCMCIAFamily without messing the IOPCIFamily and IOPCCardFamily.

I don't know too much about "IOSDHCIBlockDevice" driver. I am not sure why it showed "link load error" without IOPCMCIAFamily while you got IOKIt timeout with IOPCMCIAFamily. My guess is that the chips you have are not fully supported by "IOSDHCIBlockDevice"?? Have you posted your issues on the thread you mentioned? I will suggest you to ask the person who made the driver to see if he/she has any clues.

Thanks.

Chun-Nan

Hi aliasa_anderson,

The reason I put both IOPCIFamily and IOPCCardFamily inside the IOPCMCIAFamily's plugins Folder is to prevent them from being replaced while updating your system.

I set the versions of both IOPCIFamily and IOPCCardFamily (3.2.8) higher than the ones from the original ones (1.6.4 & 2.4.1) so that they will be loaded before the original ones. However, it will show the following messages under terminal but it will still work.

Replacing extension "com.apple.iokit.IOPCCardFamily" with newer version (1.6.4 -> 3.2.8).

Replacing extension "com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily" with newer version (2.4.1 -> 3.2.8).

Therefore, you can just leave the original ones in the Extensions folder in case that IOPCMICAFamily doesn't work and you can just remove the whole IOPCMCIAFamily without messing the IOPCIFamily and IOPCCardFamily.

I don't know too much about "IOSDHCIBlockDevice" driver. I am not sure why it showed "link load error" without IOPCMCIAFamily while you got IOKIt timeout with IOPCMCIAFamily. My guess is that the chips you have are not fully supported by "IOSDHCIBlockDevice"?? Have you posted your issues on the thread you mentioned? I will suggest you to ask the person who made the driver to see if he/she has any clues.

Thanks.

Chun-Nan

Thanks alot for the info. :)

I'll just report these issues in the thread for IOSDHCIBlockDevice to see if others are also facing similar issues.

Regards

Aliasa

for me it makes PCMCIA work, but now integrated firewire does not! (have not tested card reader, as i don't think i'm ever going to need it)

good job though!

also: stupid question, but the icon that appears in the upper right corner, offers me to "power off the card"

i wanted to test that feature, to give you feedback on that, but once it's powered off, how can i power it back on? (except by replugging the actual card)

for me it makes PCMCIA work, but now integrated firewire does not! (have not tested card reader, as i don't think i'm ever going to need it)

good job though!

also: stupid question, but the icon that appears in the upper right corner, offers me to "power off the card"

i wanted to test that feature, to give you feedback on that, but once it's powered off, how can i power it back on? (except by replugging the actual card)

Hi Johnny Poulet,

If you have TI chips for your pccard and firewire, you need to kextload IOPCCardFamily manually after booting into Desktop. Otherwise, the firewire won't work. (It is known issue for TI chips but haven't found the reason yet.)

Also, you have to replug the card back to power it on after powering off the card.

Chun-Nan

Hi Chun-Nan,

I'm using 10.5.5 and I'm getting the following error:

Duplicate class

kmod_control/start failed for com.orByte.driver.PCGenUSBEHCI; destroying kmod

\^[[33mFailed to load extension com.orByte.driver.PCGenUSBEHCI.

\^[[0mIOPCCard info: Intel PCIC probe: , Ricoh RL5C476 rev b9

AppleIntelPIIXPATA: Secondary PCI IDE channel is disabled

venderid: 0x8086 deviceid: 0x1049.

Class "AppleEHCIedMemoryBlock" is duplicate

Duplicate class

\^[[0mFireWire (OHCI) VendorID 1180 ID 832 PCI now active, GUID 00023f99291d3a10; max speed s400.

Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/C003@0/AppleACPIPCI/C3C2@1F,2/AppleICH8AHCI/C10D@0/IOAHCIDevice@0/AppleAHCIDiskDriver/IOAHCIBlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/ST9320421AS Media/IOFDiskPartitionScheme/Untitled 1@1

BSD root: disk0s1, major 14, minor 1

IOPCCard info: cs: memory probe 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff: excluding 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff

IOPCCard notice: cs: unable to map card memory!

IOPCCard16Device: binding socket 1 function 0 to card services.

Jettisoning kernel linker.

IOPCCard info: cs: cb_alloc(bus 3): vendor 0x14e4, device 0x4318

IOPCCard info: cs: cb_alloc(bus 3): found 1 functions

IOPCCard notice: cs: could not allocate 4K memory for CardBus socket 0

IOCardBusDevice: binding socket 0 function 0 to card services.

IOPCCard info: cs: cb_config(bus 3)

IOPCCard notice: cs: could not allocate 8K memory for CardBus socket 0

So apparently the PCMCIA kext is finding my LinkSys WPC54G wifi card but cannot reserve the needed memory or so...

Any ideas how this can be fixed?

I'm really running out on ideas on this one: I tried several versions of your driver but this doesn't make any difference. When loading IOPCMCIAFamily.kext from a terminal it is loading fine but when copying it to /System/Libraries/Extensions and rebooting leopard stalls very early with kernel dependency errors of IOPCCardFamily.kext (the one included inside IOPCMCIAFamily.kext

Thanks!

Take care,

Tek_No

Hi Tek_No,

Make sure that the file permissions are set correctly and don't forget to "touch" your Extensions foler to rebuid the cache.

If possibe, can you post the full dmesg result under single user mode as a file here? Thanks.

Chun-Nan

Hi Chun-Nan,

I'm using 10.5.5 and I'm getting the following error:

So apparently the PCMCIA kext is finding my LinkSys WPC54G wifi card but cannot reserve the needed memory or so...

Any ideas how this can be fixed?

I'm really running out on ideas on this one: I tried several versions of your driver but this doesn't make any difference. When loading IOPCMCIAFamily.kext from a terminal it is loading fine but when copying it to /System/Libraries/Extensions and rebooting leopard stalls very early with kernel dependency errors of IOPCCardFamily.kext (the one included inside IOPCMCIAFamily.kext

Thanks!

Take care,

Tek_No

Hi Tek_No,

Make sure that the file permissions are set correctly and don't forget to "touch" your Extensions foler to rebuid the cache.

If possibe, can you post the full dmesg result under single user mode as a file here? Thanks.

Chun-Nan

Hi again, Chun-Nan!

Thanks for your response :smoke:

I cleared all caches (OSX86Tools), executed

su

chown -R root:wheel IOPCCardFamily.kext

chmod -R 755 IOPCCardFamily.kext

rm /System/Libraries/Extensions.mkext

reboot

As requested I attached the output of dmesg run in single-user mode

Looking forward to your feedback on this...

Take care,

Tek_No

hp8710p.txt

hp8710p.txt

Hi Johnny Poulet,

If you have TI chips for your pccard and firewire, you need to kextload IOPCCardFamily manually after booting into Desktop. Otherwise, the firewire won't work. (It is known issue for TI chips but haven't found the reason yet.)

Also, you have to replug the card back to power it on after powering off the card.

Chun-Nan

Do i need to put it in /System/Library/Extensions/, change permissions and whatnot, reboot, and THEN load it manually? because i tried loading them and nothing really changed

thanks for the quick answer!

Do i need to put it in /System/Library/Extensions/, change permissions and whatnot, reboot, and THEN load it manually? because i tried loading them and nothing really changed

Hi,

If you put it in /System/Library/Extensions and repair permissions delete and rebuilg kextcache and

reboot,you dont have to manually load it,it will be done automatically during boot.

To verify if it is loaded after reboot:

kextstat|grep <Name of the kext>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other way is to put it in /System/Library/Extensions and repair permissions delete and rebuilg kextcache and

run

kextload <name of the kext>

or to see diagnostic messages while manual loading of kext use:

kextload -t <name of the kext>

Hope it helps!!

Regards

Aliasa

Hi again, Chun-Nan!

Thanks for your response :wacko:

su

reboot

As requested I attached the output of dmesg run in single-user mode

Looking forward to your feedback on this...

Take care,

Tek_No

Hi Chun-Nan,

did you have some time to have a quick look at this?

Any ideas what may be wrong?

Thanks!

Take care,

Tek_No

Hi,

You need to put IOPCCardFamily.kext outside /System/Library/Extensions folder, so it will not load automatically. It is really important that even the vanilla IOPCCardFamily.kext should be remove from the Extensions folder. Then you will be able to load it manually after booting in to OS X. You can load it manually like this in the terminal, for example if you put it at your Desktop:-

sudo kextload -tv /Users/johnny/Desktop/IOPCCardFamily.kext

*johnny is the name of your "home" folder.

I think you can make simple script using text editor to prevent having to types it everytime you login to your OS X:-

#!/bin/sh
sudo kextload -tv /Users/johnny/Desktop/IOPCCardFamily.kext

Save it to any name that you prefer with ".sh" extension, for example; iopccard.sh

Honestly I did not try it yet because this problem happen to my friend's laptop & the only thing I did is removing IOPCCardFamily.kext from the Extensions folder since he just need Eureka's IOPCIFamily.kext to get his Yukon 88E8053 working. Good luck. :)

kizwan

Hi again, Chun-Nan!

Thanks for your response :D

su

reboot

------

Hi,

To repair file permissions, especially kexts, you can use Disk Utility program, diskutil or chown/chmod command.

diskutil command:-

sudo -s
diskutil repairPermissions /

chown/chmod command only useful if you know which kexts do you need to repair the permissions. Which Eureka's kexts did you use, IOPCMCIAFamily.kext or kexts from first post?

kizwan

Hi,

I'm kind of new here and to the whole Hackintosh scene. I have an HP DV8000t and everything on it works thanks to all the hard work of all the developers and those more fortunate in knowledge than most.

Now for the question. I have succeeded to get my express card slot to work. I have a sd card reader express card installed; I couldn't get the internal sd card reader to work. Does anyone have any idea on getting the PCMCIA card slot to work? I have a NEC 2 port usb card, manufactured by Best Connectivity; purchased from newegg.com for $13.99. Returning it would pretty much be a waste (return shipping and restocking fee).

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Hi Chun-Nan,

did you have some time to have a quick look at this?

Any ideas what may be wrong?

Thanks!

Take care,

Tek_No

It is not a question to Chun-Nan. You have double EHCI kexts.

lass "AppleEHCIedMemoryBlock" is duplicate
Duplicate class
\^[[0mClass "AppleEHCIedMemoryBlock" is duplicate

orByte driver is very old, so erase it! Use my one

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=117029

Hi,

I'm kind of new here and to the whole Hackintosh scene. I have an HP DV8000t and everything on it works thanks to all the hard work of all the developers and those more fortunate in knowledge than most.

Now for the question. I have succeeded to get my express card slot to work. I have a sd card reader express card installed; I couldn't get the internal sd card reader to work. Does anyone have any idea on getting the PCMCIA card slot to work? I have a NEC 2 port usb card, manufactured by Best Connectivity; purchased from newegg.com for $13.99. Returning it would pretty much be a waste (return shipping and restocking fee).

Thanks in advance,

Michael

1. Internal SD Reader needs a driver other then IOPCCardFamily.

2. The existing driver for PCMCI still doesn't work for two buses configuration: 2PCCards or PCCard+FireWire or other similar.

It is not a question to Chun-Nan. You have double EHCI kexts.

lass "AppleEHCIedMemoryBlock" is duplicate
Duplicate class
\^[[0mClass "AppleEHCIedMemoryBlock" is duplicate

orByte driver is very old, so erase it! Use my one

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=117029

1. Internal SD Reader needs a driver other then IOPCCardFamily.

2. The existing driver for PCMCI still doesn't work for two buses configuration: 2PCCards or PCCard+FireWire or other similar.

Hey Slice,

I got rid of the duplicate class errors by using your set of kexts but I'm still receiving the following errors:

00000-0xa0ffffff

So I'm still not able to use any pcmcia cards in my laptop (and under Tiger this was working long time ago).

I tried Chun-Nan latest IOPCMCIAFamily.kext but when using this my boot stalls with dependency errors:

Dec 12 19:41:49 localhost kernel[0]: Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.

Dec 12 19:41:49 localhost kernel[0]: AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=1 LocalApicId=0 Enabled

Dec 12 19:41:49 localhost kernel[0]: AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=2 LocalApicId=1 Enabled

Dec 12 19:41:49 localhost kernel[0]: Loading security extension com.apple.nke.applicationfirewall

Dec 12 19:41:49 localhost kernel[0]: Loading security extension com.apple.security.seatbelt

Dec 12 19:41:49 localhost kernel[0]: calling mpo_policy_init for mb

Dec 12 19:41:49 localhost kernel[0]: Seatbelt MACF policy initialized

Dec 12 19:41:49 localhost kernel[0]: Security policy loaded: Seatbelt Policy (mb)

Dec 12 19:41:49 localhost kernel[0]: Loading security extension com.apple.security.TMSafetyNet

Dec 12 19:41:49 localhost kernel[0]: calling mpo_policy_init for TMSafetyNet

Dec 12 19:41:49 localhost kernel[0]: Security policy loaded: Safety net for Time Machine (TMSafetyNet)

Dec 12 19:41:49 localhost kernel[0]: Copyright © 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993

Dec 12 19:41:49 localhost kernel[0]: The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

Dec 12 19:41:49 localhost kernel[0]: MAC Framework successfully initialized

Dec 12 19:41:49 localhost kernel[0]: using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

Dec 12 19:41:49 localhost kernel[0]: IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

Dec 12 19:41:49 localhost kernel[0]: ACPI: System State [s0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)

Dec 12 19:41:49 localhost kernel[0]: Extension "com.apple.driver.ApplePCIConfigurator" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.

Dec 12 19:41:49 localhost kernel[0]: Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.

Dec 12 19:41:49: --- last message repeated 2 times ---

Dec 12 19:41:49 localhost kernel[0]: PCI configuration changed (bridge=0 device=5 yenta=2)

Apparently I still have some duplicates somewhere...

Take care,

Tek_No

Hey Slice,

I got rid of the duplicate class errors by using your set of kexts but I'm still receiving the following errors:

00000-0xa0ffffff

What is the version of IOPCIFamily.kext?
So I'm still not able to use any pcmcia cards in my laptop (and under Tiger this was working long time ago).

I tried Chun-Nan latest IOPCMCIAFamily.kext but when using this my boot stalls with dependency errors:

Really it is no problem. It is vanilla mistake. Don't look on it!

What's the driver that I'm after?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=132679