CardBus/PCMCIA PC Cards for Leopard

~Eureka

1,073 posts in this topic

HELP ME!!

Hi,

Please download IOPCMCIAFamily.leopard.zip for your iDeneb 10.5.5 at the first post of this thread. Don't download IOPCMCIAFamily.kext.zip because it is only for 10.5.6. If it is not working for you, try older version like beta 3 or rev 8.

Good luck. :(

kizwan

1.1) -f -s boots successfully, but pci-card is not recognized :

IOPCCard info: Mac OS X PCMCIA Card Services 3.3.0

IOPCCard info: options: [pci] [cardbus] [pnp]

IOPCCard info: Intel ISA/PCI/CardBus PCIC probe:

IOPCCard notice: Bad bridge mapping at 0xe7e04000!

IOPCCard info: no bridges found.

IOPCCardBridge::start failed

IOPCCard info: Intel ISA/PCI/CardBus PCIC probe:

IOPCCard notice: Bad bridge mapping at 0xe7e05000!

IOPCCard info: no bridges found.

IOPCCardBridge::start failed

1.2) -f -v results in black screen, last messages are

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitforService(rsourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

IOKitWaitQuiet() timed out waiting to write kernel symbols

InterfaceNamer: timed out waiting for IOKit to quiesce

1.3) -f -v -x boots into secure mode successfully with login but failed IOPCCardBridge::start

2.1) didn't change anything!

Hi,

So, actually even on linux just one slot working, right?. Emmm.....sorry to ask you this; without IOPCMCIAFamily.kext, does your OS X boot successfully? Besides the cardbus controller not working, I think there is a problem with the driver of your graphic card. Can you boot with -f -s with IOPCMCIAFamily.kext installed & gather information from "dmesg" & post it here.

Hint on how to generate "dmesg" in console/terminal:-

dmesg > /dmesg_debug.txt

Post "dmesg_debug.txt" here. Thank you. :)

kizwan

Hi,

So, actually even on linux just one slot working, right?. Emmm.....sorry to ask you this; without IOPCMCIAFamily.kext, does your OS X boot successfully? Besides the cardbus controller not working, I think there is a problem with the driver of your graphic card. Can you boot with -f -s with IOPCMCIAFamily.kext installed & gather information from "dmesg" & post it here.

Post "dmesg_debug.txt" here. Thank you. :hysterical:

kizwan

Hi Kizwan,

please find the dmesg attached. The name explains the bootopts

-v -f [ -x | -s ] and if latest IOPCMCIAFamily.kext was loaded

(with) or not (without).

Yes, OS X is not booting with cardbus controller and without

IOPCMCIAFamily.kext.

It boots only with with controller, IOPCMCIAFamily.kext and

save mode (-x bootops).

Single user mode (-s bootops) always works.

System is booting from grub using initrd.img to preload kexts

(See attached file osx_initrd.img.txt)

VGA is Geforce 7200GS and runs smoothly with QE/CI. I installed

EFI String using UInstaller. There was a NVKush.kext in initrd.img,

that seemed to disturb QE/CI. After removing NVKush.kext from

initrd.img the problem was solved.

Elan homepage http://www.pccard.co.uk/support/pfaq/plinux.php

is mentioning :

"Adaptors featuring TI controller chips include:

* P111 (single rear slot)

* P222 (twin rear slot)

* P423 and derivative models - front/external, twin slot.

Fron Linux's point of view only the controller chip is significant,

all models using a TI chip are expected to behave in the same way.

The PCIC type is i82365 and the necessary PCIC options are:

"irq_mode=0 pci_csc=0 poll_interval=100"

The effect of these options are:

* to disable ISA interrupts and to use PCI interrupts only for the pcmcia cards

* to disable Card Status interrupts altogether and just poll once a second for insertions

The reason for polling the controller for Card Status Changes is that some drivers do not

seem to be able to share interrupts"

I will test it on linux to hopefully enable second slot. Maybe this is

relevant for OS X.

Maybe this pccard controller has problems with the mb (GA EP45-UD3R).

Thus I consider to replace the cardbus controller. My local internet

shop (no shipping cost) is offering a cardbus controller with RICOH

R5C485 chip.

Can you confirm that this chip is supported? I can't find it on

list from ~Eureka initial posting (only "Ricoh RL5C465",

"Ricoh RL5C466", "Ricoh RL5C475", "Ricoh RL5C476",

"Ricoh RL5C477", "Ricoh RL5C478" are listed.)

Thanks!

MiMe

dmesg.vfs_opts.wKext.txt

dmesg.vfs_opts.woKext.txt

dmesg.vfx_opts.wKext.txt

osx_initrd.img.txt

i have Dlink DWL-G650+ http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2945/dlinkdwl650pf2.jpg

but i don't have a kext! You Know if this work on Leopard?

Base on my search, Dlink DWL-G650+ have Atheros AR5002 chipset, but it can't be sure because wireless cardbus have more than one release. Each release have different version & different version have different chipset. Did you try plug-in your cardbus to the cardbus controller & see if it detected or not? If it is atheros or broadcom there is possibility that it may work. Please obtain hardware ID in windows & post it here. If you don't know how, refer to this picture:-

geforcehardwareidscp6.th.jpg

kizwan

Hi Kizwan,

please find the dmesg attached. The name explains the bootopts

-v -f [ -x | -s ] and if latest IOPCMCIAFamily.kext was loaded

(with) or not (without).

Yes, OS X is not booting with cardbus controller and without

IOPCMCIAFamily.kext.

It boots only with with controller, IOPCMCIAFamily.kext and

save mode (-x bootops).

I have take a look to your log file & look like that your PCCard controller not supported with ~Eureka's kext. Your pccard did listed at the first page but it does not mean that it was supported. My theory is that your card unable to work because it have two slot & I believe it share interrupts. I don't think that ~Eureka's driver can handle that.

Does the kexts loaded by initrd.img is up-to-date? Did you remove the out-dated kexts? I'm asking you this because ~Eureka did wrote this at the first post that you need to use original/vanilla kexts:-

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

IOACPIFamily.kext

It look like you use the patched one for AppleACPIPlatform.kext & AppleAPIC.kext.

Maybe this pccard controller has problems with the mb (GA EP45-UD3R).

Thus I consider to replace the cardbus controller. My local internet

shop (no shipping cost) is offering a cardbus controller with RICOH

R5C485 chip.

Can you confirm that this chip is supported? I can't find it on

list from ~Eureka initial posting (only "Ricoh RL5C465",

"Ricoh RL5C466", "Ricoh RL5C475", "Ricoh RL5C476",

"Ricoh RL5C477", "Ricoh RL5C478" are listed.)

Thanks!

MiMe

I can't confirm that, sorry. :D I don't want to suggest anything because I'm not so sure myself. You just have to try for your self. Look like RICOH R5C485 only have one slot which is good but....well.....not listed like you said. Emmm.....I think you should buy one that listed & only have one slot. But again I can't confirm that it will work.

Good luck. :)

kizwan

Hi kizwan,

I have take a look to your log file & look like that your PCCard controller not supported with ~Eureka's kext. Your pccard did listed at the first page but it does not mean that it was supported. My theory is that your card unable to work because it have two slot & I believe it share interrupts. I don't think that ~Eureka's driver can handle that.

I would be happy to use just one slot.

Does the kexts loaded by initrd.img is up-to-date? Did you remove the out-dated kexts? I'm asking you this because ~Eureka did wrote this at the first post that you need to use original/vanilla kexts:-

It look like you use the patched one for AppleACPIPlatform.kext & AppleAPIC.kext.

you're probadly right, that I use wrong and outdated kext

from initrd.img. I was just happy that is booting. Instead

of knowing how, I wanted to use my pccard controller first.

Now I want and have to understand.

Thus which kext I do necessarily need in initrd.img?

Does AppleACPIPlatform.kext & AppleAPIC.kext has to

be patched in my case (Reail DVD Installation).

Concerning RICOH R5C485, seems that sdonner owns such

a controller. I will contact him.

Regards,

MiMe

Hi MiMe,

Thus which kext I do necessarily need in initrd.img?

Does AppleACPIPlatform.kext & AppleAPIC.kext has to

be patched in my case (Reail DVD Installation).

It depend on your hardware specification but I think you will need this kexts:-

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext <-- download here for new version by ~Eureka

AppleGenericPCATA.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

dsmos.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext <-- download here

NVinject.kext <-- download here (version 0.2.1)

I hope with NVinject you don't have to boot with -x anymore. If you have problem with "Still waiting root device", download this kexts & put it in initrd.img:-

http://www.mediafire.com/?zytdghpebyd

It contain:-

LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext

LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext

It support ICH10 but your is ICH10R. Well......just give it a try. :) Thanks to Netkas & cyclonefr for this kexts. :)

kizwan

Base on my search, Dlink DWL-G650+ have Atheros AR5002 chipset, but it can't be sure because wireless cardbus have more than one release. Each release have different version & different version have different chipset. Did you try plug-in your cardbus to the cardbus controller & see if it detected or not? If it is atheros or broadcom there is possibility that it may work. Please obtain hardware ID in windows & post it here. If you don't know how, refer to this picture:-

geforcehardwareidscp6.th.jpg

kizwan

thanx kizwan,

I attached a picture:

catturazl1.jpg

w417.png

thanx kizwan,

I attached a picture:

Hi,

Base on the information you provided, your pccard have Texas Intrument chipset. AFAIK, there is no driver for this chipset for OS X. If you want fully compatible wireless card (cardbus/pcmcia), find WPC54G ver. 3. It have broadcom 4318 chipset in it.

kizwan

Hi,

Base on the information you provided, your pccard have Texas Intrument chipset. AFAIK, there is no driver for this chipset for OS X. If you want fully compatible wireless card (cardbus/pcmcia), find WPC54G ver. 3. It have broadcom 4318 chipset in it.

kizwan

thanks Kizwan....

I will wait the release of kext for wifi 3945...

Hi MiMe,

It depend on your hardware specification but I think you will need this kexts:-

I hope with NVinject you don't have to boot with -x anymore. If you have problem with "Still waiting root device", download this kexts & put it in initrd.img:-

http://www.mediafire.com/?zytdghpebyd

It contain:-

It support ICH10 but your is ICH10R. Well......just give it a try. :) Thanks to Netkas & cyclonefr for this kexts. :)

kizwan

Hi kizwan,

i checked my elan p222 pc card controller on another computer.

(debian, asus board, 3 GHz Celeron) Boths slots were working

just as expected.

I have to conclude, that my mobo like that controller not very

much ;-( and it's not worth wasting time on that topic.

I removed original IOPCCardFamily.kext, which helped to boot

OS X without problem with inserted controller. I can use

controller with linux, just one slot, which is better

than none. I'm fine.

I tried some update of kext you recommended :

* with NVInject CI/QE got lost (no need to change)

* AppleAzaliaAudio.kext enabled Audio out, which is great, but still need audio in (Skype)

Anyway, thanks a lot for support, helping me to get deeper a little.

Thanks!

MiMe

Congratulation. I'm glad it finally work for you. -_- If you don't mind can I know the brand of your laptop? Do you still need IOPCIFamily.kext from this thread for the old AppleYukon.kext to work? Thank you. :(

kizwan

If booting with stock PCIFamily.kext the ethernet goes down. The laptop is Benq Joybook S41.

If booting with stock PCIFamily.kext the ethernet goes down. The laptop is Benq Joybook S41.

Hi Tigerbull,

My firend also have Benq Joybook S41 too. But there is several version of S41 & it have different specification. His ethernet working after using ~Eureka's IOPCIFamily.kext from this thread & original AppleYukon2.kext with little modification on the Info.plist file. Like I wrote earlier by using 88E8053 section for 88E8055. This workaround has been successful since he using Kalyway 10.5.2 & now on iPC 10.5.6 with PPF1 & PPF2. It also working with an older AppleYukon.kext too. Well, why using older version if new version works too, right? :P

However, IOPCCardFamily.kext prevent firewire from working on his S41, so I removed it since he do not need to use pccard slot anyway. If using IOPCMCIAFamily.kext, I need to remove both:-

/System/Library/Extensions/IOPCCardFamily.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/IOPCMCIAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOPCCardFamily.kext

Well, like I said earlier, S41 have several version, so this workaround maybe not the best for all version. ;)

kizwan

I tried some update of kext you recommended :

* with NVInject CI/QE got lost (no need to change)

* AppleAzaliaAudio.kext enabled Audio out, which is great, but still need audio in (Skype)

Hi,

You can try different version of NVinject if you like: NVinject

There is a way to get your audio, which is Realtek ALC889A, working.

PCWiz - ALC889A Audio Controller (8ch)

The file from PCWiz website contain two files, which are ALCinject.kext & AppleHDA.kext. Put both file in your initrd.img. Make sure you remove AppleAzaliaAudio.kext from your initrd.img for the kexts to work properly.

Did you remove the unwanted kext that I not listed on my "recommended" list?

So your initrd.img should only contain this kexts (including kexts for ALC889A):-

AppleGenericPCATA.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

dsmos.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext <-- download here

ALCinject.kext

AppleHDA.kext

Good luck. :)

kizwan.

This worked for me! awesome! My Toshiba A105 s4084 works 100% I have a dx-bnbc and it worked with the bcm43xx drivers since it has broadcom chipset!!! and its setup as airport ! so cool! i had to use this since i have no mini pci available. THANKS !!!

Hello Eureka, I loaded IOPCMCIAFamily.kext for OS10.5.6. all drivers installed showed in system profiler as "yes". but when I push in my PC card , the icon mounts on the desktop, but does not show in system profiler. trying to access the card causes a system Hang.

In my OS 10.5.5 HDD with your earlier PCCard10.5.2Beta3 kext's. it works well. system profiler shows my PCcard info as-

pci10f7,8206:

Function: Mass Storage Controller

Vendor: Unknown

Type: CardBus

Vendor ID: 4343

Device ID: 33286

This OS 10.5.6 PCMCIA kext is very close , can I do something myself to achieve a better out come with out hasseling you.

Cheers

oline

Hi Folks, I'm sooooo close to a near perfect OSX 10.5.6 build its unreal!.

10.5.5 PCCARDFAMILY.KEXT seems to work fine I get my pcmcia port working. However when updating to 10.5.6 PCCARDFAMILY.kext (Obviously after updating the OS to 10.5.6) the kext completely Bricks sleep and shutdown also usb hot swap does not work, and although my onboard firewire now works, I can't connect anything to it, doesn't pick anything up. The PCMCIA port picks up the existence of any card when I try it, put can't use it!

I'm realitively new to all this and been slogging my guts out for 3 weeks, if i get this working i'll post a full tut for peeps with the same laptop as me!

Please let me know what information you need me to provide you to help me with this weird problem. Thanks in advance.

Just a wee update (as i'm experimenting away in the wee hours of the morning)

Using a fresh build of OSX (Acronis is Gr8!) I extracted IOPCIFAMILY.kext from the IOPCMCIAFAMILY.kext!

I installed this manually and it seems to be the cause of the problems I mentioned above. Also a note, it wrecks all my system ICONS as well, HD comes up as a folder etc...

I haven't modified these files in any way just a straight install into Extensions folder

Boy, I am such a noooob and a muppet, lost system icons because i was changing extensions permissions with 644 instead of 755 whooops!

Thats one problem fixed!. Still however the PCMCIAFAMILY.kext although brilliant at picking up my devices, it still cause sleep and shutdown to not work anymore also USB hotswap. You have to boot the machine with a USB Hardrive already connected in order to use USB when your logged in.

Would anyone please give me a hand here, i'm sure its probably a quick fix, do I need to edit device ID's etc, if so could someone please tell what I'm looking for and where to edit etc! I've read through a good lot of the posts and don't quite understand!

Wow worked for me :P Thanks a LOT great work !!!

Upon installation of the kext I rebooted the OS and everything worked right away.

I'm using Linksys WPC54G PCMCIA card and after the installation of the driver it's recognized as:

Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller

And again Thanks a bunch!!! :))))

P.S. Actually I have a fully functional "ThinkBook" now :))) I'm running iDeneb v1.4 10.5.6 on ThinkPad X60 tablet and wifi was the last thing that didn't work for me. Unfortunately I couldn't make the onboard Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG to function at all so that's why using this Linksys PCMCIA adapter. If I can make the onboard wifi work though I would get rid of the PCMCIA adapter.