CardBus/PCMCIA PC Cards for Leopard

~Eureka

1,073 posts in this topic

hey guys, i've recently read chunans topic in how to install PCCardFamily and PCIFamily...

I installed it and saved the original ones on desktop..right after i rebooted, the kernel panicked! It showed me a screen where it said that Mac OSX version was not yet set! and didnt boot...afterwards i read like 1000 threads on how to solve it and i couldnt find the answer...now, i try to boot with -x or -f, and everything goes right untill login security window...After that, it doesnt show the Mac OSX enviroment...instead it stays on darwin and i type in my password and click enter, and still stays in darwin.. Note: i typed in the password without even seeing the Mac OSX interface...Like, when i saw darwin saying that login window had started, and when it didnt load any login window and stayed on the darwin interface, i typed the password and clicked enter, and what do u know..it exited the loginwindow service and still didnt bring up the mac interface...

I really need help on restoring my mac interface, or just booting normally..do i need to get the old kext files that i replaced and put them back into the Extensions folder? if so...please do tell me how i can do that...cause im really stuck :s...

Thanks in advance and i hope u can help me...

hey guys, i've recently read chunans topic in how to install PCCardFamily and PCIFamily...

I installed it and saved the original ones on desktop..right after i rebooted, the kernel panicked! It showed me a screen where it said that Mac OSX version was not yet set! and didnt boot...afterwards i read like 1000 threads on how to solve it and i couldnt find the answer...now, i try to boot with -x or -f, and everything goes right untill login security window...After that, it doesnt show the Mac OSX enviroment...instead it stays on darwin and i type in my password and click enter, and still stays in darwin.. Note: i typed in the password without even seeing the Mac OSX interface...Like, when i saw darwin saying that login window had started, and when it didnt load any login window and stayed on the darwin interface, i typed the password and clicked enter, and what do u know..it exited the loginwindow service and still didnt bring up the mac interface...

I really need help on restoring my mac interface, or just booting normally..do i need to get the old kext files that i replaced and put them back into the Extensions folder? if so...please do tell me how i can do that...cause im really stuck :s...

Thanks in advance and i hope u can help me...

It's most probably IOPCIFamily.kext that is messing up your system. I have kind of the same problem.

Here's how to fix this:

- insert your Leopard installation dvd in your dvdrom

- boot from the DVD but immediately hit F8 when it's showing the option to press F8

- now enter following options:

-s rd=disk0s1

where disk0s1 is the disk and partition number of your Leopard

- if you chose the right disk/partition this will boot in single-user mode onto the disk partition you installed Leopard on

- enter following commands:

fsck -fy

mount -uw /

- now your Leopard disk partition is writable

- enter following commands:

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCCardFamily.kext

cp - R /Users/yourID/Desktop/IOPCIFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions

cp -R /Users/yourID/Desktop/IOPCCardFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions

reboot

- be sure to substitute "yourID" in the above commands by your real userid (the one you're using to login to Leopard

That's all

Take care,

Tek_No

Ok, I pretty much figured out this is exactly what I need to get my laptop working, since my PCMCIA and network card are not recognized/properly initialized.

Unfortunately, it is sort of a catch 22: without it, I have no working network or pcmcia slot. With it, it either just stops during boot, or gives me a kernel panic. Neither option gives me a working solution. :D

I have tried just about ever version I could find, but nothing helps.

Anyone have suggestions here for a version or solution?

Ok, I pretty much figured out this is exactly what I need to get my laptop working, since my PCMCIA and network card are not recognized/properly initialized.

Unfortunately, it is sort of a catch 22: without it, I have no working network or pcmcia slot. With it, it either just stops during boot, or gives me a kernel panic. Neither option gives me a working solution. :thumbsdown_anim:

I have tried just about ever version I could find, but nothing helps.

Anyone have suggestions here for a version or solution?

Hi,

Can you post the screenshot (photo) for both incident; stop during boot & kernel panic? Or if you can boot into single user mode (-s), please collect information from 'dmesg' & system.log (in /var/log/) & post it here. Please tell me more about you computer, meaning which chipset or what hardware it use.

kizwan

I don't have a screenshot at the moment, and I cannot boot into single user mode with these kexts.

I am currently using iAtkos v5 (10.5.5), but also spend a few days trying with iDeneb v1.3 (also 10.5.5).

Computer is an Acer TravelMate 7730 latop, C2D, 4GB ram. WiFi is BCM54328.

During boot (without these kexts) I get IOPCCardBridge::start failed.

With these kexts, PCCard gets properly initialized.

Most of the times, it just stops right after "BSD root: disk1s2, major 14, minor 6"

Two times I have seen it successfully initialized my WiFi card before it froze.

The times I got a panic, the trace went back to the Airport driver.

HTH.

Is there a specific version suitable for 10.5.5, or should all work (or not work)?

EDIT

Here is a screenshot of it hanging, without panic. It rarely panics for me, it just sits there.

http://www.sport-touring.eu/images/090118-img_0900.JPG

thanks for building up the IOPCMCIAFamily-Extension. It's quite nice to have shown the pci-devices in "system information" now.

initially i was hoping to get the the card reader to work with it :-( but at least i have the proof now, that no driver for the device is installed yet ;-)

so i was woundering if you may include some other devides on the next release?

I' working on a dell xps m1530 with a ricoh card reader. the device ids are 0852, 0822 and 0592. producer-id in all cases is 1180, subsys-producer-id 1028 and subsys-id 022e.

i also found some information about running the device under linux (even though i'm not sure it may help you):

http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/K...1/msg01684.html

http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/sd-card-...on-ricoh-r5c822

also there is this thread in the forum:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...;show=&st=0

thank you so far

EDIT

Here is a screenshot of it hanging, without panic. It rarely panics for me, it just sits there.

http://www.sport-touring.eu/images/090118-img_0900.JPG

Emmm..... Sorry, I can't figure out what causing the problem... You can try move IOPCCardFamily.kext (both - original kext & the one inside IOPCMCIAFamily.kext) to backup directory outside '/System/Library/Extensions/' folder & see if it let you boot into OS X. Your broadcom wifi card is internal card right?

kizwan

As soon as I remove the kext from this thread, I can boot. The original does not give an issue. Except with the original, I don't have PCMCIA and I don't have WiFi. With all the other versions I have tried, it won't boot but it does detect PCMCIA and WiFi.

Very annoying, and I really need a working version to get networking going.

As soon as I remove the kext from this thread, I can boot. The original does not give an issue. Except with the original, I don't have PCMCIA and I don't have WiFi. With all the other versions I have tried, it won't boot but it does detect PCMCIA and WiFi.

Could be that you're having similar problems than the ones I have: I see you have 4GB ram mounted in your laptop: did you already try to take out a dimm so you only get 3gb or 2gb? Does this make any difference?

Haven't tried that, could be an idea. :( Would suck though. But not as much as no networking. Will have to try that. Did that fix your problems?

Another thought, just thinking out loud, could this be caused by the IONetworkingFamily.kext? If I look at where it gets stuck, the network initialization is next up? Apparently there are many different versions floating around to fix different issues.

When you say you remove the kext did you mean you remove IOPCMCIAFamily.kext or just IOPCCardFamily.kext? According to my search & the screenshot you posted, the BCM54328 wireless card is internal card, is that right? I don't think 4GB is the issue on this particular problem because my friend's laptop have 4GB & he can boot OS X normally. The only problem he has is that he get 'Unable to list firewire' in the System Profiler. Since he only need IOPCIFamily.kext (contain in the IOPCMCIAFamily.kext's plugin folder) to get his Marvell Yukon 88E8055 working, so I remove IOPCCardFamily.kext which located at two places:-

/System/Library/Extensions/IOPCCardFamily.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/IOPCMCIAFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/IOPCCardFamily.kext

After the removal of IOPCCardFamily.kext, he was able to get his Yukon & firewire working. So, I think with this workaround you will at least get your wifi working.....I hope so. :P

Well....if you've tried this already.....you can try AnV's kext. Good luck. :wacko:

kizwan

I have tried both the IOPCMCIAfamily and only the IOPCIfamily change. I have not tried removing the IOPCCardfamily kexts. It is worth a shot.

What is this AnV's kext you talk about?

Thanks for all your help so far!

Let me know if removing IOPCCardFamily.kext worked for you. :thumbsup_anim:

This is the link of AnV IOPCIFamily.kext. I don't know if it working for you because I never tried it myself, but, if I'm understand correctly, they use different approach compare to Chun-Nan (~Eureka). This what Slice told me about the different between their & ~Eureka's kext:-

One word.

I made bus renumeration according previous Apple's method only for yenta-bridges while Chun-Nan makes entire renumerations of PCI bus AFAIK. Not sure I am right because I saw only first his versions. AnV is exactly the same as me.

What I know is ~Eureka's IOPCIFamily.kext trying to fix devices/bridges that misconfigured by bios. So, ~Eureka's IOPCIFamily.kext can help OS X to recognized other device too not just for PCMCIA/CardBus adapter. Because of his kext, for the first time I'm able to get my Marvel Yukon 88E8038 to work using vanilla/original AppleYukon2.kext. Well....of course I need to add my device & vendor id in the AppleYukon2.kext (Info.plist). :)

kizwan

Hi Chun-Nan, I know this off topic but....

I tried your kext aka appleacpiruntime.kext.....

wow...is this all in one kext for acpi manager :unsure: , as for acpibattery, backlight and clamshell dsiplay.....

Many thanks Chun-Nan.

Question :

Why don't you realese this nice kext to insanelymac forum ?

Hi guys, I'm new in this forum and I have a problem with the post-instalation of the IOPCMCIA drivers.

I have a Panic Kernel in the startup of the system, but isn't the first time that I have the same Panic kernel, I tryed

iatkos v5i, leo4all 10.5.2 and ipc 10.5.6 with all PPFs :blink: , and kernel vanilla 9.6.0 (Actual instalation) with this configuration:

-iPC base system

-defect kernel, vanilla 9.6.0.

-grafic drivers, nvinjectgo 0.2.0 defaults

-chipset drivers, intel ichx sata drivers

-audio drivers kxaudiodriver (but don't work, audigy 2 zs notebook)

-Ethernet drivers, applebcm440x

-Wireles 3945 (BETAAAA)

-Powermanagement appleacpibatterymanager

-ps2 device support for keyboard & mouse.

-applesmbios 27 rev 3 667

I was reading a lot of posts but, I don't find the solution.

I read in the first post of Eureka (crack) that I have to replace AppleACPIPlatform, AppleAPIC and IOACPIFamily,

but is this the solution?... version?, where are they?? How can I do to extract them??

My computer is an acer laptop 5634 Wlmi with this specifications (OSX86tools):

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub [8086:27a0] (rev 03)

00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express PCI Express Root Port [8086:27a1] (rev 03)

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller [8086:27d8] (rev 02)

00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 [8086:27d0] (rev 02)

00:1c.1 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 [8086:27d2] (rev 02)

00:1c.2 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3 [8086:27d4] (rev 02)

00:1c.3 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 4 [8086:27d6] (rev 02)

00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 [8086:27c8] (rev 02)

00:1d.1 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 [8086:27c9] (rev 02)

00:1d.2 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 [8086:27ca] (rev 02)

00:1d.3 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 [8086:27cb] (rev 02)

00:1d.7 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller [8086:27cc] (rev 02)

00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge [8086:2448] (rev e2)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge [8086:27b9] (rev 02)

00:1f.2 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller [8086:27c4] (rev 02)

00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller [8086:27da] (rev 02)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation G72M [Quadro NVS 110M/GeForce Go 7300] [10de:01d7] (rev a1)

05:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection [8086:4222] (rev 02)

06:01.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX [14e4:170c] (rev 02)

06:04.0 CardBus bridge [0607]: ENE Technology Inc CB-712/4 Cardbus Controller [1524:1412] (rev 10)

06:04.1 FLASH memory [0501]: ENE Technology Inc ENE PCI Memory Stick Card Reader Controller [1524:0530] (rev 01)

06:04.2 SD Host controller [0805]: ENE Technology Inc ENE PCI Secure Digital Card Reader Controller [1524:0550] (rev 01)

06:04.3 FLASH memory [0501]: ENE Technology Inc FLASH memory: ENE Technology Inc: [1524:0520] (rev 01)

06:04.4 FLASH memory [0501]: ENE Technology Inc SD/MMC Card Reader Controller [1524:0551] (rev 01)

And this is the lines of the Panic Kernel:

MAC Framework succesfully initialized

using 5242 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

ACPI: System State [s0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)

Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com apple.kpi components;

use only onde style.

Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com apple.kpi components;

use only onde style.

use only onde style.

Thx

Best regards. :)

Hi!!

I have returned to iatkos v5, with drivers it seems that is a little more stable for my laptop, but in the PCMCIA drivers, line command stopped in other line, only a few lines than the last kernel panic, described in the before post.

Now stopped in:

Waiting for boot volume with UUID 7B486AAC-9D2E-3E86-B4A9-271CF22D7F5D

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1"> IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2"> boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

any solution for this??

thx

sorry for my poor english, I don't speak this language habitually.

Hi

I have Kalyway 10.5.2 on my Acer Aspire 5652.

The Cardbus wasnt working and I installed AppleACPIRuntime.kext and IOPCMCIAFamily.kext with KextHelper.

My Cardbus is a "{ "ENE 712/4", IS_TI|IS_CARDBUS, ID(ENE, 1412) }".

Now I'm getting this messages after boot. (AppleACPIRuntime.kext works but IOPCMCIAFamily makes panic)

What can I do?

P2501090003.jpg

Hi

My Cardbus is a "{ "ENE 712/4", IS_TI|IS_CARDBUS, ID(ENE, 1412) }".

Now I'm getting this messages after boot. (AppleACPIRuntime.kext works but IOPCMCIAFamily makes panic)

Hi,

Can you post the picture when kernel panic happen? Thank you.

kizwan

I thought when you said "panic" that you mean kernel panic. Which version did you use? Have you try older version, let say rev 8? If you use "IOPCMCIAFamily.kext", which one did you use?

IOPCMCIAFamily.kext.zip --> for leopard 10.5.6

IOPCMCIAFamily.leopard.zip --> for leopard before 10.5.6

kizwan